• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

Anyone seen a Jolly Flame Charge + Swords Dance Incineroar? I've seen a few OU sets online and I must say I'm fascinated.

I'm personally running bulky 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def Adamant Assault Vest with Fake-out, Flare Blitz Knock-off and Drain Punch. Both of these have Intimidate obviously, but I think their roles are much different, the first being a sweeper while the second being a hard-hitting pest.

Incineroar's naturally a slow mon, so I think maximum Speed investment + Jolly nature would let him outpace, what, base 115 Speed after one boost? If he gets strong enough he can get +2 Speed and let him outrun anything.

Anyone seen a Jolly Flame Charge + Swords Dance Incineroar? I've seen a few OU sets online and I must say I'm fascinated.

I'm personally running bulky 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Sp. Def Adamant Assault Vest with Fake-out, Flare Blitz Knock-off and Drain Punch. Both of these have Intimidate obviously, but I think their roles are much different, the first being a sweeper while the second being a hard-hitting pest.

Incineroar's naturally a slow mon, so I think maximum Speed investment + Jolly nature would let him outpace, what, base 115 Speed after one boost? If he gets strong enough he can get +2 Speed and let him outrun anything.
While taking level 100 into consideration 115 base speed is slightly faster by one point lol. But if this is level 50 then Incineroar would be faster by 1 point without any other speed modifications. This would probably be a better fit in singles than doubles though considering there's the possibility of double focusing and loss of the AV. It could work as a setup sweeper lol

While taking level 100 into consideration 115 base speed is slightly faster by one point lol. But if this is level 50 then Incineroar would be faster by 1 point without any other speed modifications. This would probably be a better fit in singles than doubles though considering there's the possibility of double focusing and loss of the AV. It could work as a setup sweeper lol

Hey, it's Flutter again! I keep bumping into you. X3

Lv. 50 can outspeed 115 base without any Speed Evs or positive nature with Flame Charge? O.O

Hey, it's Flutter again! I keep bumping into you. X3

Lv. 50 can outspeed 115 base without any Speed Evs or positive nature with Flame Charge? O.O
Eeyup I've been keeping track of here lol (been watching this thread since I had posted in it before as well lol)
No i meant without any modifiers like a scarf, or speed increasing moves /abilities lol. At max speed for both.. base speed of 60 can outspeed 115 with a +1 boost from flame charge (184) with 115 max speed being at 183.

1. What was Shedinja role in the games really? was it a wall, staller, pivot, spin blocker, stallbreaker, ?

2. Does every pokemon type (and cross types) have their own style of play and commonly used roles?

1. What was Shedinja role in the games really? was it a wall, staller, pivot, spin blocker, stallbreaker, ?

2. Does every pokemon type (and cross types) have their own style of play and commonly used roles?
Oh, Shedinja. Its role is a wall, as it has immunities to so many types.

No, Pokémon types aren’t really the basis for what roles they play.
For example, in Sun/Moon NU, Whimsicott (Grass/Fairy) is an offensive utility mon that usually runs some status moves like Leech Seed, whereas Sceptile, a pure Grass-type, is an all-out special attacker that usually runs four attacks.
And, in SM OU, Pelipper (Water/Flying) sets rain using its Ability Drizzle. It’s essentially pure support, but can run Hurricane. However, Gyarados, a Pokémon of the exact same type (Water/Flying) can run an offensive Flyinium Z set. Gyarados is strictly a physical attacker.
So no, team roles are not always determined by type, but rather stuff like base stats, movepool, and Abilities. Type does still play a part, though, so don’t ignore that factor.

Just double-checking something here: have I understood correctly that I can't use moves Pokémon don't naturally learn in Sword and Shield in ranked/competitive play? I'm returning into competitive play after a few generation long break and was wondering if it's worth it to transfer my Soft-boiled Clefable to my Shield. I won't if I need to make her forget Soft-boiled.

Thanks~~

Just double-checking something here: have I understood correctly that I can't use moves Pokémon don't naturally learn in Sword and Shield in ranked/competitive play? I'm returning into competitive play after a few generation long break and was wondering if it's worth it to transfer my Soft-boiled Clefable to my Shield. I won't if I need to make her forget Soft-boiled.

Thanks~~
It seems that since Clefable can't learn Soft-Boiled in Sword/Shield, it would have to forget the move to be able to be used in ranked/competitive battles. Basically, yes, you understood correctly.

It's been a long time since I've been on and if this isn't the right spot to ask, smack me. Anyway, are there any sort of draft league done thru the forum?

It's been a long time since I've been on and if this isn't the right spot to ask, smack me. Anyway, are there any sort of draft league done thru the forum?
Unfortunately, I don't think Bulbagarden holds many Pokémon battling competitions, if any. Smogon is the community that focuses primarily on competitive Pokémon battling, and I hear that they hold draft leagues.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom