• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Answers Thread for BST! (Read First Post)

I know that Hail lasts five turns as a move (or seven with item).

If I use Abomasnow as my lead, how long would it last if left uninterupted?

Throughout the battle, because Abomasnow activated Hail through an ability, not a move. It's like Kyogre's Drizzle, or Hippowdon's Sand Stream.

Do Intimidate and Rivalry cancel each other out? Meaning, say, if 2 male Luxray go out at the same time in battle. One has Intimidate and the other Rivalry. Is the boost gained from Rivalry able to cancel out the decrease from Intimidate?

No. Rivalry boosts the power of moves to 5/4, whereas Intimidate reduces your attack power one stage, or to 2/3. Thus, you will only be hitting at 5/6 power against an opponent. However, Rivalry affects both physical and special moves, whereas Intimidate only hits the physical side. So if you attack specially, you can hit with the full rivalry boost.

And I am sure they stack, since everything else except weather stacks in Pokemon.

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Hi everybody. I'm new to this forum, so sorry if this is the wrong place. I'm trying to get together some good pokemon for the Battle Tower in diamond. Here's what I have:
Lvl 50 Gyarados
Jolly, Life Orb
Ice Fang
Aqua Tail
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

EV trained in Attack and Speed, but I didn't do it perfectly, I think I accidentally killed a wooper or something. Gyarados is my absolute favorite pokemon in diamond so I'm not replacing her. Although I might take out aqua tail for waterfall. Also, this gyardos has some pretty bad IV's, but I didn't realize it until it was too late.

What I'm probably going to get:
Lanturn
Timid, Leftovers
Ice Beam
Surf
Thunder/Thunderbolt
Rain Dance/Thunderwave

The choice of the move depends on what the last pokemon will be, I'm considering getting something that would benefit from rain, since gyarados and lanturn both obviously do. I think lanturn covers Gyarados's weaknesses really well, since it's immune to electric, and gyarados covers its weakness to ground.

For the last pokemon I have a few options.
My first pic was Scizor with bullet punch and swords dance.But then I realized I have no way of getting scizor since I can't get the GTC to work, and apparently you can't get bullet punch on diamond. So now I have no idea what to pick. Any ideas?

Re: I swear I didn't know we had a *Simple Questions thread* for RMT! (Read First Pos

Not positive, but I'm pretty sure this could be made into a new thread.

Is this a good moveset for yanmega ?
protect
detect
toxic
double team

Simply use toxic at the start and rotate between detect and protect ... use double team when you feel its necessary =)

A Detect after a Protect works just the same as a Protect after another Protect.

Also Steel types don't care about your poison.

All I can say is enjoy being Taunted.

So now that we basically pointed out all of the flaws, except maybe the fact that ti would be a bit easy to force a switch out and with Stealth Rock on the field, it means its killing itself....

....Trick Room, it always goes last, but what about if your holding a Custap Berry?

Does the evasion boost from Double Team pass on if you use Baton Pass?

Yes. Any raised stat passes on.

....Trick Room, it always goes last, but what about if your holding a Custap Berry?
I found this on Smogon, which should answer the question:
Quick Claw gives your Pokemon an 18.75% chance of ignoring Speed and going first within your speed bracket, barring the enemy also activating a Quick Claw, in which case normal Speed rules would apply. Speed and Quick Claw never let a move with a lower priority beat a higher priority (so a Quick Claw activated Deoxys-S using Vital Throw always goes after Macho Brace paralyzed Shuckle using Tackle). Custap Berry makes your next move automatically go to the top of its priority bracket after activating.

No answers to mine other than I might be able to make a new thread for it?

Yeah just make a new thread for it.

So, I'm curious as to some of your opinions. I've got 2 Bulbasaur, both bold. They both generally have the same stats at level 1 now.

One with the "Mischievous" nature, meaning it's SPA will be the highest IV. That also happens to be the highest under the SPA category.

The other has "Good Endurance", which is good because it's defense-based, but it has a lesser potential rate.

The third option, since Venusaur generally doesn't outrun opponents in OU and under, is relaxed, with "often dozes off" for maximum HP EV.

Which do you think I should use?

Last edited:

I think you should use the 'Mischievous' one. It's defenses may not be as great, but that's what Sleep Powder and Leech Seed are for. Plus, this means you can hit said statused/seeded enemies harder. Unless, of course, it's defensive IVs are horrible...there's my 2 cents.

I think you should use the 'Mischievous' one. It's defenses may not be as great, but that's what Sleep Powder and Leech Seed are for. Plus, this means you can hit said statused/seeded enemies harder. Unless, of course, it's defensive IVs are horrible...there's my 2 cents.

Thanks a lot Edo-Kun, I appreciate it. I was leaning towards the Mischievous one as well, as Special Attack falls into one of Venusaur's primary strengths and can still be useful. So it's not like it's attack or anything. But this helped me make the decision, thanks.

Venasaur isn't the offensive type, so going with a more defensive one is better. If its not attacking much, why bother going for that as its highest stat? Anyway, why not use a calculator and figure out its IVs, maybe the mischevous one still has the higher defense overall.

Venasaur isn't the offensive type, so going with a more defensive one is better. If its not attacking much, why bother going for that as its highest stat? Anyway, why not use a calculator and figure out its IVs, maybe the mischevous one still has the higher defense overall.

Because of that very possibility ^

Besides, it's not necessarily that I'm "going" for offensive, it's just a matter of working with what I got out of the err...40 Bulbasaur that I've hatched. And I figure since both of it's actual attacks are special (or one if I decide to add Protect/LS), and it has strong Special Attack as well, it may not hurt. But as I mentioned, it really comes down to whether or not the defense is higher overall.

Although I wasn't aware I could calculate it as a newborn. I've only ever done it once they've reached 100. May I ask, how would I go about doing that?

Although I wasn't aware I could calculate it as a newborn. I've only ever done it once they've reached 100. May I ask, how would I go about doing that?

Get some Rare Candies (10 would be the best, but less will work -- I don't recommend any less than 7 or 8, though), then save your game. Go to an IV calculator (I recommend this one). Put in the pokemon's species, nature, and trait, then enter in it's current stat values. Feed it one Rare Candy, then enter in the stat values as shown for level 2. Rinse and repeat a few times, then hit 'calculate.' It'll give you a list of your pokemon's IVs. If it's able to calculate them all, it will even tell you what it's Hidden Power type and power is.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom