• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions and Simple Answers 3

HeartGold or Diamond?

• HeartGold

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • Diamond

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah it's on the 4 Gen and this is my current move set for Cranidos and Staravia
Cranidos
Brave nature
Likes to thrash about {} Planned Moveset
Headbutt {} Headbutt
Leer {} Zen Headbutt
Focus Energy {} Iron Head
Pursuit {} Head Smash

Staravia
Brave
Likes to fight {} Planned Moveset
Ability Intimidate
Double Team {}Brave Bird
Growl {} Sky Attack
Quick Attack {} Close Combat
Wing Attack {} Unknown
I'm also planning for a Combee (female of course, but not that I'm "there" yet, you get it?)

Will you at least see all the Pokemon in the Unova Dex after beating the champion like in Platinum?

Does the effect of Smack Down last until the end of the Battle or Switch Out?

Sorry this took awhile <.< but it got 'eaten' most of the way through Shinx.

First off I'm not sure if Bulba is like Serebii or not... they have specific areas for this sort of help, so if Bulba has them please don't smite me D:

I'd do an IV check at level 20 or so using a calc. You'd want to know what's high/low when deciding a move set.

Looking at it's stats it still has slightly higher physical attack potential than special- but a special using Lopunny would have a nice surprise factor VS people.

You could make a nice Supportive Lopunny for Double Battles (maybe also Tripple? Dunno.) if you pumped up the speed and HP or Defenses.

Toxic/Thunder Wave
After You/Helping Hand (tutor)
Mirror Coat (lvl 1)/Return/Round (B&W TM)/ Uproar (Tutor) (Has 90 Power in B&W. Keeps allies awake.)
Charm/Captivate/Magic Coat (lvl 1) (if Magic Coat helps allies as well. Think it's personal.)

Could drop After You or Helping Hand and replace it with the other Charm/Captivate or the other Status move to deal with those immune to the other status. Swagger is good if you've a confusion immune partner. Healing Wish and Heal Bell (tutor) are good if you don't intend for it to be front lines.

For 1 on 1...

Mirror Coat
Charm
Magic Coat
Return/Bounce/Drain Punch/Shadow Ball

Bounce is of course to deal with Fighting pokemon and Shadow for Ghosts, though Ghosts are probably well handled by Mirror Coat. Return is of course just reliable. Drain Punch could deal with things Return can't like Rock/Steel. It also can help you heal against Charm-ed physcal dependant Pokemon or those with low defense, helping you get in more Mirror Coats. High HP EV would help Mirror Coat.

Charm is meant to goad them into using special attacks on Lopunny, thus getting hit hard with Mirror Coat and Magic Coat helps keep Lopunny protected from status effects so that the rest of the strategy can be pulled off.

A Special Centric set...
Hyper Beam/Swift/Uproar
Shadow Ball
Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
Focus Blast/Water Pulse

I figure that would give it good coverage. I don't recall Ice Beam being learnable 4th Gen, but it is in 5th gen at least. Sadly there is no special flying/psychic move for Lopunny.

Physical Lopunny
Return
Drain Punch/Iron Tail
Bounce
Charm/Mirror Coat/Fury Cutter (tutor)

Pretty self explanitory, eh? I'll note here that any use of Return could be replaced with Secret Power, Dizzy Punch, or Headbutt. Return is more powerful, but Secret Power has status behind it, Dizzy can confuse, and Headbutt can cause Flinch (even moreso with Kings Rock) for the quick Lopunny. I'll also note there is a nice 5th gen fighting move called Low Sweep that lowers the foes speed.

Fear-ish Lopunny
Endeavor (tutor)
Endure
Quick Attack
Shadow Ball/Mirror Coat

You've probaly seen this setup before on Pokemon, but that doesn't make it totally invalid. Definately want max speed here. Probabaly pair that with special attack so you can shadow ball ghosts. Or HP if you think you can pull off Mirror Coat before switching to Endure/Endeavor.

Oh, and I don't think I have a female combee :3 just my well loved Vespiquen (Can't do PM or anything yet so letting you know here.)

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, and I did try to search for the answer myself first but I haven't had any luck.

When the Dream World comes out, is the only way to get Pokemon with Dream World abilities to randomly meet them in there, or is it possible for one of your own Pokemon to change its ability if you upload it and leave it in there for a long while?

I'm a little confused about how the Dream World works. In this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r4F2CQgoX8 at 1:05 it says "Shadow's Jalorda has Perversity after he left it in the Dream World for a month". Does this mean that if I have a Jalorda as my starter and I upload it to the Dream World it might switch abilities?

I would simply ask this in the comments section under that youtube video, but it seems Youtube wont let me sign in unless I link to a Google account... and I can't create a Google account without a cell phone, which I don't have. It's a little frustrating.

Can anyone help me with this question? It would be very appreciated. Thanks so much! ~♥

Will you at least see all the Pokemon in the Unova Dex after beating the champion like in Platinum?

No. As far as I know, there are no Trainers in the game who use Ferrothorn, Rufflet, Vullaby, Mandibuzz, Zweilous, or Larvesta, nor can you see Tornadus/Thundurus (whichever one isn't in your game) without trading, which also hinders your ability to see Landorus.

Does the effect of Smack Down last until the end of the Battle or Switch Out?

Let's see what Bulbapedia says!

If the target is a Flying-type, has the ability Levitate, or is under the effects of Magnet Rise, it will take extra damage and become vulnerable to Ground-type moves until it is switched out.

EV Training

I want to start EV training. I've tried it before, but ultimately failed. After watching multiple wi-fi battles on youtube, I decided to try again. I wanted to start by getting a wall, but I'm not sure what pokemon would be good for the job. If anyone has any ideas, list the pokemon, it's EV's, and it's attacks. Thanks.

Re: EV Training

Alright, the link posted is good, but I'll provide a simpler rundown.
Whenever you defeat a Pokemon and gain EXP, you also get an effort point. There are points in each stat, and you can gain more than one point per Pokemon defeated. You can even gain points for more than one stat, depending on the Pokemon. Traditionally, base forms give 1 EV, first evolutions give 2 EVs, and third evolutions give 3 EVs. There are items that grant more EVs upon defeating a Pokemon. The Macho Brace doubles EV yield. The Power Items grant +4 EVs of the type of Power Item you are given. Pokerus also doubles the EV yield, and applies after the Macho Brace/Power Item bonus. So, say you defeat a Magikarp while holding a Power Anklet, which gives you +4 Speed EVs. You get 1 EV from Magikarp, plus 4 EVs from the Anklet. Then Pokerus doubles that and you get 10 EVs total.

If a Pokémon hurts itself in confusion and Reflect is up, is the effect of Reflect applied? (You'd think it wouldn't be, but then you have things like Earthquake not working on Levitating Pokémon using Dig...)

Edit: Okay, I've just looked it up, and it isn't. Feel free to ignore this post.

If an opponent is leech seeded, and i use substitute....

Do i gain HP while my substitute is out?

Do Egg Groups change between generations? Because I can't figure out how to get Future Sight and Psychic on Girafarig in a Gen. 2 game.

Do Egg Groups change between generations? Because I can't figure out how to get Future Sight and Psychic on Girafarig in a Gen. 2 game.

The egg groups don't change, no. Girafarig is in the Ground group so your best bet for doing egg moves would be to use a Smeargle that has sketched Future Sight and Psychic.

The egg groups don't change, no. Girafarig is in the Ground group so your best bet for doing egg moves would be to use a Smeargle that has sketched Future Sight and Psychic.

Man, I'm starting to think Smeargle and Ditto are the Go-To Pokemon of the breeding feature. I guess in the Pokemon world, artists do get "lucky."

Question regarding EV's

Not-entirely-neccesary exposition:
I registered an account purely to ask this question, and will probably never return; it's the only thing I've ever been unsure about throughout my entire Pokemon career.

I looked through the forums and couldn't find anywhere to put the thread other than here, but I apologise if it's in the wrong place.

So, EV's.

I get them for fighting Pokemon; I get that.

Instead of explaining exactly what I want to know, I'll ask a question about how they work which should explain it for me.
If I Rare Candy a Pokemon to level 99, then max its EV's, then level it once more to level 100:

Will it be the same as if I maxed its EV's at level 10 and then diligently trained it up from there?

Secondly:

I've heard from a few places that Black and White can still calculate EV's after you hit level 100. Is this true? This being the case, could I Rare Candy a Mon to 100, then train its EV's afterwards?

I've used a bunch of Quick balls and moves but I can't capture Victini! I need some help!

I've used a bunch of Quick balls and moves but I can't capture Victini! I need some help!

Victini has a catch rate of 3, the lowest possible, tied with many other legendary Pokémon. Basically, it's going to come down to luck. You can use the move False Swipe to lower its HP without killing it, and put it to sleep or paralyze it with things like Spore or Thunder Wave. After that, though, it's all up to chance.

Victini has a catch rate of 3, the lowest possible, tied with many other legendary Pokémon. Basically, it's going to come down to luck. You can use the move False Swipe to lower its HP without killing it, and put it to sleep or paralyze it with things like Spore or Thunder Wave. After that, though, it's all up to chance.

Is that really how cathing pokemon works now? The math no longer applies and it is up to luck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom