• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Fun & Games is searching for new mods! Did I catch your attention? Head on over here!

SPOILERS: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen VII)

Incinerawr

I'm back for you, Star Fox.
Reaction score
@Matleo Because the only way to ban said combo is to disallow the move completely. Same reason why you can't use Sand Veil Garchomp in Gen V OU, or the Evasion Clause, where Double Team is banned, etc., etc..

Do you mean in the game coding itself or some outside banlist, like Smogon? Either way, it's easier to break the problematic combo by banning the one move and leaving the rest the way it is. I'm not sure how you could ban the "combo" anyway.
This.

And referring to Smogon and such. They don't ban Heal Pulse in-game because no computer opponent comes with that weird set. It's not like Heal Pulse sets were even a thing - it's like in TCG like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic, they ban certain cards because people find ways to abuse combos or generally take it to a level that the game is not meant to be played.

Jolty94

The Power of Thunder
Reaction score
So I started masuda method'ing the past couple weeks (I also have the Shiny Charm), and during my first only say two hours; I hatched a shiny Popplio and shiny Bulbasaur. I believe I used a British/English Venusaur with a Japanese parent, and then used a British/English Popplio with a Japanese Ditto.
I think I am just incredibly impatient, or just SUPER unlucky on my 3rd try getting a shiny Dewpider... I've filled almost 30 boxes in the past 5 days, the parent Dewpider is English/British and the other parent is a Japanese Swampert, I am JUST super unlucky right? Because Dewpider is my region, and the Swampert is definitely Japanese.

EDIT: Nevermind, I FINALLY got my cute lil shiny Dewpider :D

Last edited:

Incinerawr

Reaction score
So I started masuda method'ing the past couple weeks (I also have the Shiny Charm), and during my first only say two hours; I hatched a shiny Popplio and shiny Bulbasaur. I believe I used a British/English Venusaur with a Japanese parent, and then used a British/English Popplio with a Japanese Ditto.
I think I am just incredibly impatient, or just SUPER unlucky on my 3rd try getting a shiny Dewpider... I've filled almost 30 boxes in the past 5 days, the parent Dewpider is English/British and the other parent is a Japanese Swampert, I am JUST super unlucky right? Because Dewpider is my region, and the Swampert is definitely Japanese.

EDIT: Nevermind, I FINALLY got my cute lil shiny Dewpider :D
That's great! Happy for ya, bro.

... but how is this a simple question/simple answer? o:

Jolty94

The Power of Thunder
Reaction score
That's great! Happy for ya, bro.

... but how is this a simple question/simple answer? o:
Thanks :D I tried my luck again the last 2 days with Treecko and after a few boxes, I got it!! and I know it's not really a simple question, but is there a separate thread for 'advanced questions'?

Incinerawr

Reaction score
Thanks :D I tried my luck again the last 2 days with Treecko and after a few boxes, I got it!! and I know it's not really a simple question, but is there a separate thread for 'advanced questions'?
Oh, no you're fine. I must've misread your post because I didn't see anything in there that was a question.

But yeah, the Masuda method is breeding interracial mons to produce a shiny, right? Like an American Chansey and a Japanese Ditto? That increases the odds of shiny--probably as a nod to trainers that use wi-fi and interact across the world.

... or it could be a glitch. Probably a glitch.

Jolty94

The Power of Thunder
Reaction score
Oh, no you're fine. I must've misread your post because I didn't see anything in there that was a question.

But yeah, the Masuda method is breeding interracial mons to produce a shiny, right? Like an American Chansey and a Japanese Ditto? That increases the odds of shiny--probably as a nod to trainers that use wi-fi and interact across the world.

... or it could be a glitch. Probably a glitch.

Ah ok. I was aware of the basics of it, but after 100s of eggs you still question whether you're doing it right xD haha, that's why I had to double check I wasn't missing something.

Matleo

Reaction score
this is interesting if a Pokemon has Rock Head ability and learns Curse, what happens if it has the ghost typing? like attached by Trick-or-Trick Pumpkaboo line?
then it doesnt get self demaged from curse?

Curse is a sacrifice but could it be counted as recoil damage?
you reduce hp, rock head should prevent that. Then more interesting combos could be used between more pokemon.

could you imagine a rock/ghost pokemon with rock head and curse? that wouldget hurt by curse effect?
or should it not?

Last edited:

Arcalargo

god of the Longbow!
Reaction score
Awesome thought it would be, Curse isn't recoil damage because it's not a percentage of damage dealt. It's a sacrifice up front so I don't think the game would acknowledge it as recoil. If I had more time, I would be willing to test it.

Fluttershy of Light

Princess of Love
Reaction score
It doesn't remove the HP loss. It's the same if you miss a Hi jump kick or belly drum. So you'll still take the damage at the cost of your Pokémon's hp.

Matleo

Reaction score
It doesn't remove the HP loss. It's the same if you miss a Hi jump kick or belly drum. So you'll still take the damage at the cost of your Pokémon's hp.
And thats a problem for me personally maybe they could change that in future, then some more strategies could be used in games.
A curse user that wouldn't get that damage would be interesting.
Or if he could even absorb the opoents hp loss and drain it to gain hp from opoents "curse" state.

High Jump Kick is a crash move the definition is on the net on bulbapedia...
but why moves where you self inflict damage to get effect boost need to be treated as crash moves?
recoil is recoi, if you inflict damage to yourself to make the oponet get damage.
They could atleast make less hp loss(half of half is 25%) if the user of Curse/Belly Drum has also Rock Head ability.

You know what I mean? to make more sense.

Arcalargo

god of the Longbow!
Reaction score
The difference is semantics. Recoil is the damage you take from a reckless, all-out attack against your opponent. Curse and Belly Drum are a sacrifice to get a desired effect. You can't get something for nothing. Getting a +6 in attack or sucking away 1/4 of your opponents health with no payment is severely overpowered.

Bittersweet

We're very concerned.
Reaction score
Question regarding Hidden Abilities and breeding, that I'm unable to get a clear answer on from Bulbapedia...

Say if I breed a Poison Cure female Roselia with a male Hidden Ability Roselia… is there a chance the offspring will hatch as a H/A Roselia or can Hidden Abilities only be passed down by the female in Gen VII if the two parents are the same species?

Icy Wind

*Shivers*
Reaction score
Question regarding Hidden Abilities and breeding, that I'm unable to get a clear answer on from Bulbapedia...

Say if I breed a Poison Cure female Roselia with a male Hidden Ability Roselia… is there a chance the offspring will hatch as a H/A Roselia or can Hidden Abilities only be passed down by the female in Gen VII if the two parents are the same species?
Male pokemon can only pass down hidden abilities if you breed them with a ditto. That’s been the case since gen 6.

Water Max

初段黒帯空手家!
Reaction score
I have a Japanese language Pokémon Ultra Moon version on a European (or British) cartridge because I decided to play the game in Japanese instead of English. Would I be able to use serial codes for event Pokémon at specific locations of the UK or Japan or both countries using this version of the game?

Fluttershy of Light

Princess of Love
Reaction score
I have a Japanese language Pokémon Ultra Moon version on a European (or British) cartridge because I decided to play the game in Japanese instead of English. Would I be able to use serial codes for event Pokémon at specific locations of the UK or Japan or both countries using this version of the game?
From what I can tell from from other places and from something similar that I did (played in German language despite the 3DS being from the US and got codes). It depends on the region the 3ds was from not the language you're playing in. So it'll be either UK/PAL if you're 3ds is from the UK or Japan if it's from Japan. The event Pokémon will still be in the language you selected though.

Matleo

Reaction score
How many slash based moves do we have really? does water shuriken count as one?
if a Slashproof ability would be created should then all fang and claw moves also be added to that list??? How many are there really (japanese + english names)?

the same as above if Ramproof ability would be created?
or a Rush Head ability (head priority moves)?

what will be the next ability similar to Bulletproof?

Imagine rock/fighting; grass/fighting(Chesnaught or its mega) , ghost/fighting, , steel/??? or other type combinations with this?

Ice/??? what dual typing with ice would proffit the most with one of these?

Last edited:

Incinerawr

Reaction score

A male can pass down a Hidden Ability with a Ditto, but aside from that, yeah, you need a female. Once you breed a male HA with a female HA, the odds of another HA being hatched goes to about 80% IIRC.

Bittersweet

We're very concerned.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but Google hasn't been too helpful.

Is there any sort of online "legality" checker, where you can simply type in everything about the Pokemon's summary (OT, ID No, stats, Nature, Shininess, Poke Ball, location obtained, moves, etc) and get results for whether it could legally exist in-game by completely legitimate methods?

Like you'd get results that look something like this:

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 5.09.03 pm.png

SpikOriundo

Apricorn Collector
Reaction score
Technically, yes. There is a hacking tool that also checks to see if the Pokémon is legal, and what isn't legal in it.
Otherwise, you'd have to just research all the little details to know, or at least know where to look for. I have done that, so I wouldn't really need such a tool, though it'd be really useful.

Fluttershy of Light

Princess of Love
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but Google hasn't been too helpful.

Is there any sort of online "legality" checker, where you can simply type in everything about the Pokemon's summary (OT, ID No, stats, Nature, Shininess, Poke Ball, location obtained, moves, etc) and get results for whether it could legally exist in-game by completely legitimate methods?

Like you'd get results that look something like this:

View attachment 110554
I don't think there's a single page for determining whether a Pokémon is Illegal or not..
Serebii does have a very nice Ball legality checker however. And if you need to check the shiny locked Pokémon they are (currently): Victini, Keldeo, Zygarde (soon will be legal), Meloetta, Hoopa, Volcanion, Tapu Lele, Fini, Bulu, Cosmog and it's line, Necrozma, Magernea, Marshadow, and Zeroara (and also regular Zeroara isn't even legal as of now). You can check whether the HA is locked on Showdown as there'll be Strike through over the Hidden ability An event Pokémon database will come in handy as it does have all of the important information about the Pokémon both Bulbapedia and Serebii have one. Though keep in mind that if one thing doesn't match the description then it's illegal. For instance if you see a timid Shiny Tapu Koko in a pokeball that's not a Cherish ball it's illegal as there is no way to catch Tapu Koko as a Shiny you will need the event one that is always in the Cherish Ball. I'm not sure if there's a foolproof way to check ID or OT for non event Pokémon though. As for moves Bulbapedia does list all the possible moves and how they're obtained ranging back from Gen 1 up to Gen 7. It does require a bit of research to find out if the Pokémon in question is legal or not though.. The best method is to check the pokeball, if it's Shiny locked, obtained from, ability, and the Nature (if it should be locked like the Shiny Tapu Koko's) first. Then if those match up check some others to determine if it's plausible.