• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

SPOILERS: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen VII)

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Got a quick question regarding a certain Mon, though I'm not 100% sure if I'm in the right thread. I received a Growlithe via WT. It was obviously a breed-ject, as it's nature wasn't great and it had 4 perfect IVs, but it did have Close Combat as an Egg Move. Since the news is talking about a massive snowstorm, I was thinking of restarting my spare UltraSun copy (I've already harvested most everything of use out of it) to play alongside my AS run, as I might be fairly "grounded" if this storm is as bad as they say. So, my question is regarding this Growlithe. Should I use it for a beforehand breeding project as a Fire-type of choice for that run? And if so, what would be considered "ideal" for its moves, nature, and so on? Note that I'm not quite looking for a meta-style Mon, but since it's been AGES since I've raised a Growlithe, I wasn't sure what would be considered "ideal" for it anymore, as things have changed quite a bit since the last time I used one. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

OBEY THE BEARD
Reaction score
Got a quick question regarding a certain Mon, though I'm not 100% sure if I'm in the right thread. I received a Growlithe via WT. It was obviously a breed-ject, as it's nature wasn't great and it had 4 perfect IVs, but it did have Close Combat as an Egg Move. Since the news is talking about a massive snowstorm, I was thinking of restarting my spare UltraSun copy (I've already harvested most everything of use out of it) to play alongside my AS run, as I might be fairly "grounded" if this storm is as bad as they say. So, my question is regarding this Growlithe. Should I use it for a beforehand breeding project as a Fire-type of choice for that run? And if so, what would be considered "ideal" for its moves, nature, and so on? Note that I'm not quite looking for a meta-style Mon, but since it's been AGES since I've raised a Growlithe, I wasn't sure what would be considered "ideal" for it anymore, as things have changed quite a bit since the last time I used one. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.
What nature and ability are we looking at? Growlithe/Arcanine don't have a deep movepool by any means, but there's enough there to work with that you don't have to run mixed. A Sunny Day + Solar Beam set might be fun to use, especially if paired with Flash Fire to nuke everything under the sun (pun intended).

If you end up with a -Atk or +SpA nature, then I might try a set like:
Sunny Day
Solar Beam
Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Heat Wave/Special fire STAB of choice
Snarl/Hidden Power/Flame Charge (for speed boosts)

On the other hand, even though Arcanine has more powerful physical moves, a higher Attack stat, and potentially Justified to get a free boost, his most powerful physical moves are Flare Blitz and Wild Charge (though Extreme speed is never a bad option), and everything else is rather lacking in power. If you got Intimidate, you could consider a bulkier build with Will-o-Wisp to completely neuter physical threats and Roar to spread status around.

Close Combat is a great move for a cleaner/revenge killer Arcanine, which is what I'm guessing whoever bred that Growlithe was going for, but it's main use is for hitting rock-types and opposing fire-types, since fire covers everything else CC hits super-effectively, and either solar beam or wild charge can hit waters even harder.

Houndoomed from the Start!
Reaction score
According to PokemonGoHub, you can get a Thunderstone in Dream Park, Akala Island.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does anyone know where "Electric" and "Summit" (Charjabug and Crabrawler's specific location to evolve) is located? As in, which island those are located?
You can go to Vast Poni Canyon in S/M and in US/UM you go to Blush Mountain on Ula Ula.

Reaction score
Some questions about Ultra Sun & Moon.

Any reliable grinding methods? Other sources either mention post game stuff or grinding on Audino which I prefer not to because I also have to take into account EVs.

How much does the Ultra versions lag compared to the original SM?

What are the overall improvements? I know wild Pokémon will only SOS once unless the player's Pokémon hold an Adrenaline Orb and there's a way to get non-Alolan evolved forms.

OBEY THE BEARD
Reaction score
Some questions about Ultra Sun & Moon.

Any reliable grinding methods? Other sources either mention post game stuff or grinding on Audino which I prefer not to because I also have to take into account EVs.
I don't know that there is a reliable way to grind without taking EVs into account. That said, an EV-enhancing item + Pokerus + SOS chain yields a minimum of 36 EVs per kill, so you only need a 7 chain to max EVs in any one stat. Having done that, you're free to EXP-grind as you wish. I used the Elite Four for grinding, but pick your flavor, I suppose. And since BP can now be earned as "beach points" with Mantine Surf, you can obtain the EV-boosting items from the Battle Royale dome right away.

How much does the Ultra versions lag compared to the original SM?
I'm not sure what you mean by "lag", but I didn't really notice any more performance issues (though I did use the new 3DS XL for both)

What are the overall improvements? I know wild Pokémon will only SOS once unless the player's Pokémon hold an Adrenaline Orb and there's a way to get non-Alolan evolved forms.
A hugely expanded regional Pokedex (400 vs 300) was a big plus for me, as well as the ability to get some 'mons not found in Alola via the Ultra Wormhole minigame. Mantine surf as a way to get BP is also a very nice feature, meaning you get access to move tutors throughout the game, instead of having to wait until post-game.

Reaction score
Thanks, but that's not what I meant about the grinding. I'm looking for ways to grind during the main game like the Battle Chateau from XY or the PokeNav from RSE and the remakes.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Thanks, but that's not what I meant about the grinding. I'm looking for ways to grind during the main game like the Battle Chateau from XY or the PokeNav from RSE and the remakes.
No, sorry, but there are no main game features that provide such things. There are no trainer rematches of any kind, and any battle facility is mostly BP related stuff, like Battle Royal and the like. While Poke Palago has the training island (which you need to build), it's mostly EV related (though one of the "drinks" does act like a Rare Candy in a sense, as it boosts levels, though I'm not 100% sure). So, in short, there are no reliable ways or grinding outside of wild-based battles.

OBEY THE BEARD
Reaction score
Hmm, okay then. I don't know of a good way to grind for EXP pre-E4 since I never really had to do such a thing, and I'm not aware of any trainers that can be rematched (which is admittedly one feature I miss from previous games). As far as I'm aware, the best you can hope for is to find a wild 'mon with high base EXP yield and SOS chain it a bunch. The part about EV-training still stands, however. You can Mantine Surf for enough BP to get an EV-boosting item from the Battle Royale dome, and even without Pokerus, you can max out EVs in a single stat with a chain of just 14. And you probably already knew this, but a single rainbow bean from Pokepelago is enough to increase affection to 3 hearts, which is enough to grant further bonus EXP.

Pokemon Gotta Catch ... Some Of Em ???
Reaction score
Is it possible to use Bank to transfer mons direct from Gen 5 to Gen 7, or do you need a Gen 6 game to dock them inbetween?

Dieter
Reaction score
Is it possible to use Bank to transfer mons direct from Gen 5 to Gen 7, or do you need a Gen 6 game to dock them inbetween?
Nope, you don't need Gen 6. You can just use Poke transporter to transfer them from 5 to Bank and from Bank to Gen 7. HOWEVER, it is not possible to transfer any pokemon from Gen 7 back to 6. Not even if the originated in Gen 6. Just keep that in mind if you like to collect ribbons or stuff like that

Pokemon Gotta Catch ... Some Of Em ???
Reaction score
Nope, you don't need Gen 6. You can just use Poke transporter to transfer them from 5 to Bank and from Bank to Gen 7. HOWEVER, it is not possible to transfer any pokemon from Gen 7 back to 6. Not even if the originated in Gen 6. Just keep that in mind if you like to collect ribbons or stuff like that

Reaction score
What kind of pokemon are faster? Average and mediana speed? Special attackers or physical attackers?

Reaction score
you could give a better answer...
I try to see if there is already data if there are more physical attackers or more special attackers in the games.
Also if there are more pokemon walls(both spectrums: physical and special and which one more) or attackers (the same).

Interesting would be to see that data also for every type seperate.
Interesting if the pokemon creators have such data or if they create pokemon by feelings only?
In my opinion they would and could create then maybe faster pokemon with more diverse in game use.
Also interesting if they first create the pokemon and then other things and how long do they test the games at work before the release date.

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
you could give a better answer...
I try to see if there is already data if there are more physical attackers or more special attackers in the games.
Also if there are more pokemon walls(both spectrums: physical and special and which one more) or attackers (the same).

Interesting would be to see that data also for every type seperate.
Interesting if the pokemon creators have such data or if they create pokemon by feelings only?
In my opinion they would and could create then maybe faster pokemon with more diverse in game use.
Also interesting if they first create the pokemon and then other things and how long do they test the games at work before the release date.
No one has really done it because there are too many categories you mention, and too many Pokemon to do that for. And no one really needs that information.
They need the highest stat, stat, type and move information and Bulbapedia provides just that.

Why not try being a pioneer and doing that if you need the information?
Because no one else is doing it because they don’t deem it useful enough since the base info is already there.

Reaction score
No one has really done it because there are too many categories you mention, and too many Pokemon to do that for. And no one really needs that information.
They need the highest stat, stat, type and move information and Bulbapedia provides just that.

Why not try being a pioneer and doing that if you need the information?
Because no one else is doing it because they don’t deem it useful enough since the base info is already there.
maybe here are people from smogon and pokemon company and a team of people could help in it?
to have better knowledge to predict in what ways the game should/could evolve?
This way they could create better games and we fans would also see the upsides and downsides of it and understand things better.

People would see proportions between spectrums, types and more, that would help both creators and gamers more.

Last edited:
Flame Trainer
Reaction score
maybe here are people from smogon and pokemon company and a team of people could help in it?
to have better knowledge to predict in what ways the game should/could evolve?
This way they could create better games and we fans would also see the upsides and downsides of it and understand things better.
Smogon and Pokemon company are not related to each other at all...
They don’t feel the need to make complicated lists when Smogon has already shown what’s the best Pokemon to do what. They already have enough analysis to make teams.

Reaction score
Smogon and Pokemon company are not related to each other at all...
They don’t feel the need to make complicated lists when Smogon has already shown what’s the best Pokemon to do what. They already have enough analysis to make teams.
is that really enough? I though they are more ambitious then that. Also teams will change in future and this would be the best way to predict how , why and if this way it will be. People complain about design, but usefulness of pokemon in games is also a very important factor at the end.