• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens I - VIII)

I have a Sirfetch’d loaded up with Max EVs in Attack and Speed. Should I stuff it full of Tamato Berries and max out its HP instead? I’m seeing both options in Serebii’s POTW discussion.
Depends what role you need it to fill on your team. If you want a bulky attacker, go HP. If you’re looking more for a physical sweeper, then invest in Speed.

If you had a save game from cartridge A and you have lost that cartridge A, would you be able to load the same save game with a replacement cartridge B?

Can anyone confirm if this statement, on the Bulbapedia Serial Code page, "One-time use codes can also be validated by entering the code in a game and declining to download the gift when the game asks whether the player wants to receive the gift that was found; this does not count as the code's use, but it does lock the code to that game for approximately one hour, temporarily preventing other games from using that code.", is accurate for Sword and Shield?
I'm wanting to use my Dynamax crystal codes but I've heard horror stories about the codes being switched. If my codes do turn out to be switched then not using up the code when declining the gift will be a huge relief.

Can anyone confirm if this statement, on the Bulbapedia Serial Code page, "One-time use codes can also be validated by entering the code in a game and declining to download the gift when the game asks whether the player wants to receive the gift that was found; this does not count as the code's use, but it does lock the code to that game for approximately one hour, temporarily preventing other games from using that code.", is accurate for Sword and Shield?
I'm wanting to use my Dynamax crystal codes but I've heard horror stories about the codes being switched. If my codes do turn out to be switched then not using up the code when declining the gift will be a huge relief.
If the codes were in fact switched then surely there would be not harm in trying anyway, right? If it’s broken, it’s broken. Unless by “switched” you mean they switched versions? In which case the code would not be used up if you attempted to use it in the wrong version.

Hey guys, so last night I finally hatched another Shiny Eevee which is now a shiny Jolteon, and am looking for some advice regarding a competitive moveset for SwSh?

Ever since they removed Hidden Power I've been going round in circles regarding a moveset lol, as of SMUSUM I was using this set:

EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Special Defence

Moveset:
- Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Yawn

As for with SwSh, I was considering running Weather Ball but it would be pretty situational, however, I was thinking since weather is more common and changeable now due to Dynamax and Max Moves, it would be beneficial in some situations.

What do you guys think regarding a Jolteon set for SwSh with Weather Ball?

Hey guys, so last night I finally hatched another Shiny Eevee which is now a shiny Jolteon, and am looking for some advice regarding a competitive moveset for SwSh?

Ever since they removed Hidden Power I've been going round in circles regarding a moveset lol, as of SMUSUM I was using this set:

EVs: 252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Special Defence

Moveset:
- Thunderbolt/Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Yawn

As for with SwSh, I was considering running Weather Ball but it would be pretty situational, however, I was thinking since weather is more common and changeable now due to Dynamax and Max Moves, it would be beneficial in some situations.

What do you guys think regarding a Jolteon set for SwSh with Weather Ball?
Ehh most Pokémon aren’t setting up weather that they’re weak to, though (other than some Grass-types). In fact, most Pokémon resist their own weather conditions and w/o any weather at all you’re stuck with a weak Normal move.

Jolteon doesn’t have much special coverage to work with yet this gen, but maybe Hyper Voice for some nice Substitute-bypassing or Light Screen for some utility (this might also pair well with Volt Switch). Or, if you’re able to Baton Pass it some boosts, Stored Power might be a viable option.

Last edited:
Ehh most Pokémon aren’t setting up weather that they’re weak to, though (other than some Grass-types). In fact, most Pokémon resist their own weather conditions and w/o any weather at all you’re stuck with a weak Normal move.

Jolteon doesn’t have much special coverage to work with yet this gen, but maybe Hyper Voice for some nice Substitute-bypassing or Light Screen for some utility (this might also pair well with Volt Switch). Or, if you’re able to Baton Pass it some boosts, Stored Power might be a viable option.

Yeah, after trying a few different sets last night online, a lot of them fell flat and made me realise how even more frail Jolteon has sadly become this gen.

On a complete whim, I am weirdly thinking of trying a borderline defensive set since you said Light Screen? Do you think it will throw people off if I max out it's HP and split the rest of the EVS between Defence and Speed? That way Light Screen can cover it's Special Defensive side for a while, whilst I set up potentially with Yawn, Thunder Wave maybe? Or is that going in the completely wrong direction and just won't really work out. Lmao I'm so confused.

What would you suggest?

Yeah, after trying a few different sets last night online, a lot of them fell flat and made me realise how even more frail Jolteon has sadly become this gen.

On a complete whim, I am weirdly thinking of trying a borderline defensive set since you said Light Screen? Do you think it will throw people off if I max out it's HP and split the rest of the EVS between Defence and Speed? That way Light Screen can cover it's Special Defensive side for a while, whilst I set up potentially with Yawn, Thunder Wave maybe? Or is that going in the completely wrong direction and just won't really work out. Lmao I'm so confused.

What would you suggest?
It’s certainly unconventional and would be unexpected, but I think Jolteon is just too frail to really wall on its own. Even w max Def and HP investment, it isn’t going to survive many physical hits.

It might function well in a pivot role. It gets Baton Pass and Volt Switch, so you could set up a Light Screen or a Yawn and then switch out.

A Thunder/Rain Dance/Weather Ball set might be interesting, but again it’s frailty would make it difficult to set up RD and WB is rather unreliable.

I think the easiest way to figure out what kind of set to run, though, is by looking at how it fits in w the rest of your team. Just look at what kinda of roles your team is lacking or support it could benefit from, and maybe model your Jolteon set around that.

Back
Top Bottom