• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens I - VIII)

Hello.

The wiki says that there is a Lapras on Route 2 on the lake, but I cannot find it. Can someone provide a screen or requirements to make this Lapras appear?

Or update the wiki if Lapras cannot be found here?

Thanks.

What's your progress?

Lapras appears after you get the 7th badge and does not respawn if defeated.

How are the NPC G-Max Pikachu's using Volt Tackle if they don't know Volt Tackle when caught? Do max raid opponents normally have access to moves they don't know upon capture?

How are the NPC G-Max Pikachu's using Volt Tackle if they don't know Volt Tackle when caught? Do max raid opponents normally have access to moves they don't know upon capture?
I’ve noticed this sort of thing in many raids, not just the Gmax Pikachu ones, so I figure some raid Pokémon know extra moves to make the fight harder or whatever.

This is the first time I've noticed raid enemies using moves they forget after being caught since I thought "hey, Volt Tackle without having to chase down a light ball!"

I was disappointed.

Is anything other than Gmax Pikachu spawning or have I had weird luck?

Last edited:
Is anything other than Gmax Pikachu spawning or have I had weird luck?
I think you have weird luck. I’m trying to hunt for a shiny Gmax-chu and I’ve found Pikachu raids to be rather rare for me.

I'm currently grinding Gmax Pikachu for the shiny using a Sandaconda and was wondering if there were better options available to me. Sandaconda has been pretty successful most of the time, but I was debating whether Lightning Rod Rhyperior with an Assault Vest/Rhydon with Eviolite or Storm Drain Gastrodon would be better because they can redirect the damage my NPC allies take.

I'm currently grinding Gmax Pikachu for the shiny using a Sandaconda and was wondering if there were better options available to me. Sandaconda has been pretty successful most of the time, but I was debating whether Lightning Rod Rhyperior with an Assault Vest/Rhydon with Eviolite or Storm Drain Gastrodon would be better because they can redirect the damage my NPC allies take.
I’d go with Gastrodon over Rhydon tbh. The 4x Surf weakness is crippling for Rhy. Plus Gastrodon can use Earth Power which is single-target and could lower SpDef

i have a few questions.
1. can i have a sword game. can i buy a shield game and trade myself the game specific pokemon like in the old days? or do i need to trade with another player to get it?
2. how can i trade with other players and use the mystery gift? i bought a switch online card but it's still not letting me connect to other players. is there a pokemon sword and shield card i need to buy?
3. how do the rotom bike rallies work? i tried to do one but all i saw was a timer. am i supposed to go somewhere? or look for something? i didnt get an in game explanation of whats to be done.

i have a few questions.
1. can i have a sword game. can i buy a shield game and trade myself the game specific pokemon like in the old days? or do i need to trade with another player to get it?
You can, but you need to download Pokémon Home. You would have to store the Pokémon in Home from Sword and then withdraw them to Shield. All of this can also be done with the free version of Home; no need to pay for the subscription. Unfortunately, you can’t do trade evolutions without a second Switch.

2. how can i trade with other players and use the mystery gift? i bought a switch online card but it's still not letting me connect to other players. is there a pokemon sword and shield card i need to buy?
To use Mystery Gift, just open your menu and select it. If there are any gifts available, it will give you the option to connect to online and download them.
To trade with other players, you press the Y button and then you have to turn on your internet connection. Then, you just select the option to trade and set a passcode which the other player also enters so you are guaranteed to both be in the same trade room.

3. how do the rotom bike rallies work? i tried to do one but all i saw was a timer. am i supposed to go somewhere? or look for something? i didnt get an in game explanation of whats to be done.
Simply follow the balloons and press B regularly to speed up.

I have a question about Eiscue.

How do most people react to seeing one? Do they normally break Ice Face or go for the Special attacks? I ask this because I was wondering if Assault Vest would be a good item on it. Anyway, if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I have a question about Eiscue.

How do most people react to seeing one? Do they normally break Ice Face or go for the Special attacks? I ask this because I was wondering if Assault Vest would be a good item on it. Anyway, if someone could help me out I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Looking at Smogon's suggestions for Eiscue, it seems like most sets are Belly Drum set-up sweepers or are more hail stall-y with Leftovers. So I figure an Assault Vest Eiscue might catch people off guard, however, I don't know how common Eiscue is so people might not be that familiar with its sets and just assume anything is possible.

You might get a better answer on more competitive orientated forums like reddit's r/stunfisk or Smogon's forum.

Edit: I realized I didn't exactly answer your question.

I don't exactly think Assault Vest would be a good item on Eiscue irregardless of how most people react to it. It seems like the Assault Vest is better used on tanky Pokemon that can deal and/or take strong hits and/or have high HP like Mudsdale. Eiscue isn't very strong with only base 80 attack as its highest offensive stat, and once Ice Face breaks, Eiscue is very frail and you cannot go back to Ice Face without outside help. If you want to use a more defensive Eisuce, then Leftovers are probably your best bet since they allow you to use non-attacking moves like Hail and Substitute as well as provide recovery.

Granted, I am far from an expert on this topic so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Is it possible to trade mythical Pokemon through the Pokemon Home Friend Trade function?

Is it possible to trade mythical Pokemon through the Pokemon Home Friend Trade function?
Nope. While Mythical Pokemon are still listed among Pokemon that can be "traded" or "requested," they cannot be traded regardless. This is due to Mythicals typically being very rare or event only Pokemon that are hard to get your hands on.

Is there a way to get the specific nature you want on those Pokémon or is it completely left up to RNG?

mod edit: this is referring to mystery gift pokemon

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any reason to get Sword or Shield?
You're going to get a lot of varying answers. At any rate...
---------------------------------------------------------------
I bought Sword at full price, which was $60 for me, and kinda feel that it wasn't worth the price. I finished the game relatively quickly compared to past games and felt that it was very empty for what is supposed to be a flagship title on the Switch. I've come to the conclusion that I didn't enjoy the game as much as past titles, and while I've only played through the game twice, I am already burnt out and don't really want to go through another playthrough. In contrast, I've experienced Alola more than four times. So I'd say there's really no reason to buy SwSh at full price because the games don't have much to offer and aren't really a leg up on previous ones in my opinion. Though, of course, this is just my personal experience and opinion and they are nowhere near representative of all people who've played SwSh.

Is there any reason to get Sword or Shield?
It simply depends on who you are talking to.

I liked the games a lot. No, they certainly weren't perfect and now that they've been out for a while I think I prefer Gen 7 just more overall. But they have some great qualities to them. There are some really cool Pokemon added into this generation, the story can be a bit lackluster at points (but how many Pokemon games have a really good story anyway?), but the characters are all well-developed and unique. I like the idea around The Champion Cup. It makes the gym challenge more unique without getting rid of it like it did in the Alola games. The game can be a bit easy at points, though some points can provide some challenge (I also don't put my enjoyment to the game with the difficulty level, so I didn't focus on it that much). I do think it's worth buying it and playing it, but since it's been out for a while I would honestly recommend just buying it used somewhere instead of buying it new, just to save money.

I would also like to say while it's worth it just to buy the game, I don't think it's worth buying a Switch for. So if you or anyone who is on the fence is considering it but doesn't already have a Switch, I wouldn't recommend buying a Switch only to play this game.

Back
Top Bottom