• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens I - VIII)

It’s certainly unconventional and would be unexpected, but I think Jolteon is just too frail to really wall on its own. Even w max Def and HP investment, it isn’t going to survive many physical hits.

It might function well in a pivot role. It gets Baton Pass and Volt Switch, so you could set up a Light Screen or a Yawn and then switch out.

A Thunder/Rain Dance/Weather Ball set might be interesting, but again it’s frailty would make it difficult to set up RD and WB is rather unreliable.

I think the easiest way to figure out what kind of set to run, though, is by looking at how it fits in w the rest of your team. Just look at what kinda of roles your team is lacking or support it could benefit from, and maybe model your Jolteon set around that.

That's true about it's frailty to wall on it's own, I guess it's just wishful thinking lol.

I like the idea of the Thunder/Rain Dance/Weather Ball set but you're right, it would be difficult to set up.

I will definitely have to look at my team and see where I can fit it in and with what set. Do you have any good team partners in mind for Jolteon in Gen 8? I can't seem to find anything online yet.

That's true about it's frailty to wall on it's own, I guess it's just wishful thinking lol.

I like the idea of the Thunder/Rain Dance/Weather Ball set but you're right, it would be difficult to set up.

I will definitely have to look at my team and see where I can fit it in and with what set. Do you have any good team partners in mind for Jolteon in Gen 8? I can't seem to find anything online yet.
Well the question is if you’re building your team around Jolteon or if you’re trying to fit Jolteon into an existing team.

If it’s the latter, then you would ideally change Jolteon’s moveset around to fit what your team is lacking.

If it’s the former, you might want to consider some good switch-ins especially if you’ll be running Volt Switch/Baton Pass. You can expect Ground-type and Physical moves against it, so a bulky Flying-type like Gyarados or Levitator like Rotom-Wash might be beneficial. A partner that could easily set up Rain might synergize well with Jolteon if you’re running a Thunder/WB set. Drizzle Pelipper is a decent option for this and also is immune to Ground, but its stats aren’t the best.

Well the question is if you’re building your team around Jolteon or if you’re trying to fit Jolteon into an existing team.

If it’s the latter, then you would ideally change Jolteon’s moveset around to fit what your team is lacking.

If it’s the former, you might want to consider some good switch-ins especially if you’ll be running Volt Switch/Baton Pass. You can expect Ground-type and Physical moves against it, so a bulky Flying-type like Gyarados or Levitator like Rotom-Wash might be beneficial. A partner that could easily set up Rain might synergize well with Jolteon if you’re running a Thunder/WB set. Drizzle Pelipper is a decent option for this and also is immune to Ground, but its stats aren’t the best.

I honestly have just been trying different team variations in online battles the past few nights, Gen 8 is a lot harder to predict competitively as Dynamax can really make or break a battle, and I'm still not sure whether I like that or not haha.

Now that you mention it though, my Rotom-W has won me a LOT of battles with and without it being dynamaxed, the set I use for it is 252 HP, 252 Speed and 4 in Special Attack. Running Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump and Will-O-Wisp. I may consider running Jolteon alongside that as you mentioned because Levitate is beneficial.

The usual Pokes I rotate in and out of for online singles that are fully trained are:
Shuckle (Sturdy) - Sticky Web, Stealth Rock, Knock Off & Toxic (Rocky Helmet)
Rotom-W (Levitate) - *moveset above* (Leftovers)
Togekiss (Serene Grace) - Nasty Plot, Air Slash, Flamethrower, Dazzling Gleam (Leftovers)
Alcremie (Aroma Veil) - Calm Mind, Recover, Dazzling Gleam, Mystical Fire (Kee Berry) (usually for G-Max) - I often switch between Togekiss and Alcremie for my Fairy coverage ect however.
Rillaboom (Overgrow) - Focus Energy, Razor Leaf, Drain Punch, High Horsepower (Scope Lens) - this is just a fun set I like using and got the idea from Pimpnite, usually gets me 100% crits every time.
Dragapult (Infiltrator) - Dragon Darts, Psychic Fangs, U-Turn, Phantom Force (Life Orb) (although I am thinking of re-investing it's EVs into a Special Attacker as a physical set has been falling flat for me).
G-Corsola (Weak Armor) - Will-O-Wisp, Strength Sap, Stealth Rock, Night Shade (Eviolite)
G-Slowpoke (Own Tempo) - Whirlpool, Scald, Slack Off, Psychic (Eviolite)
Gastrodon (Storm Drain) - Whirlpool, Scald, Earthquake, Recover (Leftovers)
Ferrothorn (Iron Barbs) - Power Whip, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Knock Off (Leftovers)
Hydreigon (Levitate) - Nasty Plot, Fire Blast, Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse (Life Orb)
Toxtricity (Technician) - Shock Wave, Acid Spray, Boomburst, can't remember the last move lol.
Snorlax (Thick Fat) - Body Slam, Ice Punch, Gunk Shot, Earthquake (Leftovers) (Usually for G-Max)
Sandaconda (Sand Veil, couldn't change it as it was through a raid) - Iron Defence, Body Press, Earthquake, Iron Head (Leftovers).
Mew (Synchronize) - Nasty Plot, Ice Beam, Psychic, Aura Sphere (Leftovers)

Do you think any of my currently trained team members would work well alongside Jolteon or shall I invest in training up some more pokes? I do plan to just time constraints you know. (Apologies for the long post, it's been a while since I've asked for competitive help).

I honestly have just been trying different team variations in online battles the past few nights, Gen 8 is a lot harder to predict competitively as Dynamax can really make or break a battle, and I'm still not sure whether I like that or not haha.

Now that you mention it though, my Rotom-W has won me a LOT of battles with and without it being dynamaxed, the set I use for it is 252 HP, 252 Speed and 4 in Special Attack. Running Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump and Will-O-Wisp. I may consider running Jolteon alongside that as you mentioned because Levitate is beneficial.

The usual Pokes I rotate in and out of for online singles that are fully trained are:
Shuckle (Sturdy) - Sticky Web, Stealth Rock, Knock Off & Toxic (Rocky Helmet)
Rotom-W (Levitate) - *moveset above* (Leftovers)
Togekiss (Serene Grace) - Nasty Plot, Air Slash, Flamethrower, Dazzling Gleam (Leftovers)
Alcremie (Aroma Veil) - Calm Mind, Recover, Dazzling Gleam, Mystical Fire (Kee Berry) (usually for G-Max) - I often switch between Togekiss and Alcremie for my Fairy coverage ect however.
Rillaboom (Overgrow) - Focus Energy, Razor Leaf, Drain Punch, High Horsepower (Scope Lens) - this is just a fun set I like using and got the idea from Pimpnite, usually gets me 100% crits every time.
Dragapult (Infiltrator) - Dragon Darts, Psychic Fangs, U-Turn, Phantom Force (Life Orb) (although I am thinking of re-investing it's EVs into a Special Attacker as a physical set has been falling flat for me).
G-Corsola (Weak Armor) - Will-O-Wisp, Strength Sap, Stealth Rock, Night Shade (Eviolite)
G-Slowpoke (Own Tempo) - Whirlpool, Scald, Slack Off, Psychic (Eviolite)
Gastrodon (Storm Drain) - Whirlpool, Scald, Earthquake, Recover (Leftovers)
Ferrothorn (Iron Barbs) - Power Whip, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Knock Off (Leftovers)
Hydreigon (Levitate) - Nasty Plot, Fire Blast, Flash Cannon, Dark Pulse (Life Orb)
Toxtricity (Technician) - Shock Wave, Acid Spray, Boomburst, can't remember the last move lol.
Snorlax (Thick Fat) - Body Slam, Ice Punch, Gunk Shot, Earthquake (Leftovers) (Usually for G-Max)
Sandaconda (Sand Veil, couldn't change it as it was through a raid) - Iron Defence, Body Press, Earthquake, Iron Head (Leftovers).
Mew (Synchronize) - Nasty Plot, Ice Beam, Psychic, Aura Sphere (Leftovers)

Do you think any of my currently trained team members would work well alongside Jolteon or shall I invest in training up some more pokes? I do plan to just time constraints you know. (Apologies for the long post, it's been a while since I've asked for competitive help).
From the above list, I think Ferrothorn would synergize well with Jolteon, benefitting from Light Screen/Rain, having an SE move on Ground types, and setting up entry hazards for chip damage. I also like Gastrodon as it would also be able to deal with opposing Electric types and benefit from LS/Rain. Both would also be able to tank Ground type and/or strong physical hits.
If you want to close the Grass vulnerability along with a nice switch-in choice vs. Ground types, Togekiss seems like a viable option though ofc be wary about Flamethrower if you’re running Rain.

From the above list, I think Ferrothorn would synergize well with Jolteon, benefitting from Light Screen/Rain, having an SE move on Ground types, and setting up entry hazards for chip damage. I also like Gastrodon as it would also be able to deal with opposing Electric types and benefit from LS/Rain. Both would also be able to tank Ground type and/or strong physical hits.
If you want to close the Grass vulnerability along with a nice switch-in choice vs. Ground types, Togekiss seems like a viable option though ofc be wary about Flamethrower if you’re running Rain.

Thank you so much! Those are actually some great options to help get me started with building a decent team for me around Jolteon. I really appreciate your help!

Edit: @swiftgallade46 it works really well dude! I had a good few online singles last night with Jolteon, Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, Togekiss, Dragapult and Gastrodon and the LS/RD/Weather Ball set works really well and surprisingly got me a lot of KOs... I have Jolteon holding Focus Sash which is also a bit situational as entry hazards break it, but I took down a Terrakion on 75% hp with a Rain Dance Weather Ball and also a Rhyperior too! Light Screen is great as well because I usually set it up after Rain Dance is up to help the next Pokémon I send out and it works to perfection.

Definitely will be a staple on my main team now!

Last edited:
I'm assuming the answer is no, but is it possible to have one HOME account for two profiles on the Switch? I was planning on getting Zacian on a second account, and then trading it to the HOME for my main account to use as trade fodder for Zamazenta.

I'm assuming the answer is no, but is it possible to have one HOME account for two profiles on the Switch? I was planning on getting Zacian on a second account, and then trading it to the HOME for my main account to use as trade fodder for Zamazenta.
Yes it is possible. In Home there is an option that say your profile name. (I think it's where you choose your game). Simply click it and switch to your other account, then select the game. The Home account will be the same as you have been using.

Important to note: When entering Home, do not select the other account you want to transfer from when you are on the Home page, that will ask you if you want to set up a new Home account.

Yes it is possible. In Home there is an option that say your profile name. (I think it's where you choose your game). Simply click it and switch to your other account, then select the game. The Home account will be the same as you have been using.

Important to note: When entering Home, do not select the other account you want to transfer from when you are on the Home page, that will ask you if you want to set up a new Home account.
Hmm. When I go to my second profile, it says my Nintendo account is already being used and that I need to link a different one. Any troubleshooting tips? Thank you.

Hmm. When I go to my second profile, it says my Nintendo account is already being used and that I need to link a different one. Any troubleshooting tips? Thank you.
That's a good question, I didn't see anything like that when I did it. When you opened Home, did you open it under your first account that you've already set it up under (unless you haven't yet)?

That's a good question, I didn't see anything like that when I did it. When you opened Home, did you open it under your first account that you've already set it up under (unless you haven't yet)?
No, I selected my second profile. When I went into the app it prompted me to link a Nintendo Account and when I entered my current account it said it was already in use and that I should use a different one.

No, I selected my second profile. When I went into the app it prompted me to link a Nintendo Account and when I entered my current account it said it was already in use and that I should use a different one.

This is with your Switch, correct? I don't even recall seeing anything with Nintendo accounts when using my Switch, unless I was connecting it to mobile.
__

Better instructions for anyone wanting to use two profiles on same Home:

Okay, so when you open Home in general, open Home it from your first Profile, the one you have Home set-up on. After starting it up there's a screen where you can select your games, but there is also a button that says your name and your profile picture. If you click on that, it will give you an option to look at the save files for your other Profiles. Click on the Profile you want, and it will send you there. Then you can select your game, and it will send you to your Home account.

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 2.38.51 PM - Edited.png

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 2.39.54 PM - Edited.png

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 2.39.56 PM - Edited.png

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 2.39.58 PM - Edited.png

This is with your Switch, correct? I don't even recall seeing anything with Nintendo accounts when using my Switch, unless I was connecting it to mobile.
__

Better instructions for anyone wanting to use two profiles on same Home:

Okay, so when you open Home in general, open Home it from your first Profile, the one you have Home set-up on. After starting it up there's a screen where you can select your games, but there is also a button that says your name and your profile picture. If you click on that, it will give you an option to look at the save files for your other Profiles. Click on the Profile you want, and it will send you there. Then you can select your game, and it will send you to your Home account.

It worked. Thank you so much for your patience and help.

I can't transfer Mega Stones, Red or Blue Orbs or Z-Crystals to Pokémon Sword and Shield using Pokémon HOME, can I?

Hey guys, I usually train competitive Pokémon always for online Singles and have always been a little anxious to do doubles as I have little experience building those kind of teams.

Was wondering if anyone can suggest a good starting point for building a team for doubles? Or link me to somewhere that has info about building a team for doubles.

Would really appreciate it :D

Hey guys, I usually train competitive Pokémon always for online Singles and have always been a little anxious to do doubles as I have little experience building those kind of teams.

Was wondering if anyone can suggest a good starting point for building a team for doubles? Or link me to somewhere that has info about building a team for doubles.

Doubles is the VGC Tournament style so I would look at the lineups of the top contenders there and see what strategies seem to be working. I don’t personally know much about VGC other than Protect is a huge staple on almost every Pokémon.

Watching some VGC tournaments is always a good start to get an idea of what kinds of teams and combos work best.
You never want to pick just any random pokemon for doubles, it's always best to pick pokemon that will support the ones beside it in some way or work well together in a combo

what are the 5 weakest type combinations in Sword and Shield?

Back
Top Bottom