• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens I - VIII)

is there a way to trade with myself if I only have one switch? in the same way you could use GTS before to trade between games? I have some items in my Shield version I want to transfer to my Sword version but items don't go into home.

is there a way to trade with myself if I only have one switch? in the same way you could use GTS before to trade between games? I have some items in my Shield version I want to transfer to my Sword version but items don't go into home.

Sadly, no. You need two Switch consoles to do any sort of item trading between oneself, just like back in the DS/3DS eras. That was a problem I was going to have before my relative gave me a Switch Lite (and Shield) as a gift. But, no, you can't trade with yourself using only one Switch, as Home, as you know, doesn't store items, just like Bank before it, and since there is no GTS anymore, that pretty much puts an end to it. So, you're out of luck there.

Now it's my turn to ask. What are the exact shiny odds in this gen? That also includes all factors like Masuda Method and Shiny Charm. Also, is this gen's shiny "rules" similar to Gen 7's (such as the whole "pull out one certain colored marble out of a bag then put it back in and try again" mentality) or are they different? Thanks in advance.

Now it's my turn to ask. What are the exact shiny odds in this gen? That also includes all factors like Masuda Method and Shiny Charm. Also, is this gen's shiny "rules" similar to Gen 7's (such as the whole "pull out one certain colored marble out of a bag then put it back in and try again" mentality) or are they different? Thanks in advance.
Here are some stats. It doesn't tell you the odds from the start, though.

How do you reattempt a Max Raid Battle if you don't win?
If you’re hosting it then just interact with the raid den again and you can try as many times as you want (until it becomes the next day). If someone else is hosting it, then there’s no guaranteed way to re-attempt it because they would have to start the raid again, seek help from others, and their request would have to appear to you again.

What’s the fastest/best way of unlocking the IV judge feature, how difficult is it, and how long does it take roughly? I’ve just barely started out in the Battle Tower (Doubles Beginner Rank 3 or 4—I can’t remember which), using the rain rental team (Pelipper/Barraskewda lead with Raichu and Ludicolo in the back) and have had decent success but I’m wondering if there’s a more effective way I could go about this. I’m debating switching to the slow, i.e. Trick Room, team because I’ve had great success with one in Omega Ruby but I’m not a fan of the team members. Thanks.

What’s the fastest/best way of unlocking the IV judge feature, how difficult is it, and how long does it take roughly? I’ve just barely started out in the Battle Tower (Doubles Beginner Rank 3 or 4—I can’t remember which), using the rain rental team (Pelipper/Barraskewda lead with Raichu and Ludicolo in the back) and have had decent success but I’m wondering if there’s a more effective way I could go about this. I’m debating switching to the slow, i.e. Trick Room, team because I’ve had great success with one in Omega Ruby but I’m not a fan of the team members. Thanks.

You need to do four rounds/Ranks in the Beginner levels (it can be either singles or doubles, you choice, as both work just fine), then you have to face and defeat Leon, who will be your last opponent in the Beginner Rank. After you win against Leon you get the IV judge feature. Be warned, as he not only G-Maxes his Charizard again, but he'll also have any of the Mons he can have in his party at random (ie: he could have Seismitoad, Haxorus, or Mr. Rime, which can all be part of his championship team depending on your Starter choice), including the Galarian Starters with their Hidden Abilities (ie: Rillaboom with Grassy Surge), even though they're not available to you just yet. And as for a team, you can pretty much use anything you want, as the Battle Tower allows uber Mons like Zacian, Mew, Silvally, etc, so you don't have to use a themed team if you want, as you can use your regular party and they'll fair just fine. I just used my team and they swept him and the beginner ranks (I only did it for the IV checker and promptly stopped, as I don't like Battle Towers and their kin, though this one is at least decent due to more flexible rules). Hope that helps.

If Wigglytuff would be in the games would it be the perfect counter to Dragapult ?
taking that only steel wing would be a problem for it?
If using Substitute/Atract , Dig, Playrough and Bounce against it in the right moment?

If Wigglytuff would be in the games would it be the perfect counter to Dragapult ?
If using Substitute/Atract , Dig, Playrough and Bounce against it in the right moment?
I am pretty sure this is not the right thread for theoretical thinking or competitive strategy. Try this thread instead for more general SwSh discussion.

Wigglytuff might be able to beat Dragapult 1v1, but I highly doubt it would be the perfect counter. It's just a poor man's Clefable, which already does a decent job of checking Dragapult from what I've seen and provides decent team support. Wigglytuff would probably just be a liability, especially if you were running a physically offensive set, outside of a Dragapult match-up scenario--and it's not like the opponent could just switch into something that could easily deal with Wigglytuff.

Wigglytuff might be able to beat Dragapult 1v1, but I highly doubt it would be the perfect counter. It's just a poor man's Clefable, which already does a decent job of checking Dragapult from what I've seen and provides decent team support. Wigglytuff would probably just be a liability, especially if you were running a physically offensive set, outside of a Dragapult match-up scenario--and it's not like the opponent could just switch into something that could easily deal with Wigglytuff.

not if it got Encore and Disable, look at its hp and moveset

not if it got Encore and Disable, look at its hp and moveset
Well, keep in mind that Wigglytuff is slower than Dragapult, so you'd have to predict to use them effectively, and even then, as mentioned above, that doesn't stop the opponent from just switching.

Edit: Who are you referring to as "it"?

Really, though, you probably shouldn't ask a question if you're just going to say that you're right. Thanks for your understanding.

Not certain if this is the right place for this question, but where did Bulbapedia get the Global Link/Dream World artwork for all the new Pokémon and forms? I really like Orbeetle’s DW art, but the quality isn’t the best and was wondering if its original source was in better quality. Thanks.

Does anyone know much about the details and validity of the shiny glitch in SwSh? Like, what exactly is being claimed as broken and do we know if it’s for certain?
I don’t know if the glitch stills exists, or even if it’s actually real in the first place, but from what I’ve heard, apparently the glitch makes it so that only a really small portion of all wild encounters (like ≤5%) will be affected by increased shiny odds from chaining. So I think, if the glitch is real, you’d have to multiply the chaining odds by the chance of getting a wild encounter affected by them in order to get your true chance of encountering a shiny.

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I wanted to make sure. When a legendary/mythical/overworld Pokemon is defeated instead of being caught and it respawns later, do their stats (like nature, IV, shiny factor when applicable) change from the initial encounter?

Also, what about mandatory legendaries (like Reshiram/Zekrom in BW + Xerneas/Yveltel in XY) if you run away from them? (Since instead of respawning later, they remain there for you to catch)

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, but I wanted to make sure. When a legendary/mythical/overworld Pokemon is defeated instead of being caught and it respawns later, do their stats (like nature, IV, shiny factor when applicable) change from the initial encounter?

Also, what about mandatory legendaries (like Reshiram/Zekrom in BW + Xerneas/Yveltel in XY) if you run away from them? (Since instead of respawning later, they remain there for you to catch)

Well, we don't have any mythical Mons in this gen yet (the expansion pass will probably change that), so that's not something available right now. And in the case of the legends (Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus), they are not only shiny locked, but defeating either of the former two will just force you to battle them again with no changes, while the latter is a unloseable situation where you must catch it then and there, and the catch is guaranteed (considering it plays out like a Max Raid Battle, with Hop, Zacian and Zamazenta as your "partners", it's no surprise). You can't run from any of those battles as you must perform them when they are initiated. While natures and IVs can be changed if you save prior to the battle and then soft reset afterward, for the most part, there are no respawing situations or the ability to flee and encounter later. When the battle takes place, you have to catch it then and there, no exceptions.

As for overworld Mons, that's kinda hard to explain, since most of the Mons in these games are in the overworld. But, from what I've experienced, if you save before battling a certain Mon, catch it, and check its nature, it won't change if you soft reset and restart the battle. The same applies if you defeat it instead, soft reset, and then battle/catch it, as the nature will be fixed upon that particular overworld Mon's first spawning. The same applies to Max Raid Battles, as the nature/IVs will be fixed when they first spawn, so you can't soft reset or manipulate those factors into your favor. I hope I explained this well enough, as it's a bit trickier than the three Legends in these games. But, generally, unless you're using a Mon with Synchronize, you can't really manipulate natures and IVs upon the initial encounter. While the Legends can have their natures and IVs manipulated, it's only via the save-prior-then-soft-reset method, as it's otherwise fixed upon the first encounter. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom