• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens I - VIII)

Hey, I'm just wanting to know what you think happens if Dracovish has its head fall off?
I'd imagine it would die like most other animals--or at least vertebrates. I don't think the Pokemon Center can heal decapitations.

I've been trying to hatch a shiny Galarian Ponyta for the last few days and even though I'm using the Masuda method and have the Shiny Charm, I've hatched 700 eggs with no shiny.

I looked up the rate for the Masuda method with the Shiny Charm and it's 1/512. So just in case I'm not somehow incredibly unlucky here, I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong. My Galarian Rapidash is holding a Destiny Knot if that means anything. The Japanese Ditto I traded for isn't holding anything. I made absolute sure it's Japanese too.

So if anyone has any advice on shiny breeding, let me know.

If I'm doing everything right to get my odds as high as possible though, then wow am I unlucky...

I was afraid of that...

Almost 200 eggs more seems like a lot to me, but maybe I haven't seen or heard of enough other hunts.

I was afraid of that...

Almost 200 eggs more seems like a lot to me, but maybe I haven't seen or heard of enough other hunts.

Yeah, it's just a bad case of unluckiness. I've been there before. Some of my hunts have been quick, like Hawlucha at 100-ish eggs, or Wimpod at only 17, while others have been much, much longer, like my Impidimp, which took over 700 eggs, and my Hattena, which took about 900. And some have just been total goose eggs, like Falinks and Barnicle, where even after 2000 eggs each I got nothing. Even with more favorable odds you're still going to be at it for a while. You're just gonna have to keep at it, as the RNG gods love trolling players like us, so you have to be persistent. It'll happen eventually, it just depends on how patient you are.

Yeah, it's just a bad case of unluckiness. I've been there before. Some of my hunts have been quick, like Hawlucha at 100-ish eggs, or Wimpod at only 17, while others have been much, much longer, like my Impidimp, which took over 700 eggs, and my Hattena, which took about 900. And some have just been total goose eggs, like Falinks and Barnicle, where even after 2000 eggs each I got nothing. Even with more favorable odds you're still going to be at it for a while. You're just gonna have to keep at it, as the RNG gods love trolling players like us, so you have to be persistent. It'll happen eventually, it just depends on how patient you are.

2000 eggs?! Geez.

Also, I guess I should mention that I got a shiny Ponyta in Let's Go Eevee rather quick when I hunted it there, so maybe I was thinking about that too. xP

But yeah, I want this shiny badly enough to continue. Galarian Ponyta and Rapidash are my favorite Pokemon!

I can't find anything that says I can't double post, but if I'm now allowed to, I'm sorry. It's just that it's been a month since this was last posted in. I still haven't gotten that shiny Galarian Ponyta and I'm certainly well over 2000 eggs at this point. I hope I get it soon so I can start on the Crown Tundra and also shiny hunt some other Pokemon.

Crown Tundra Spoiler:
Which brings me to what I want to ask. I found that mythical Pokemon can be caught. I thought it was only the normal legendaries and I had previously transferred a Keldeo from an older game to Sword. When I found I was wrong, I got excited because I thought maybe we could finally shiny hunt some Pokemon that were previously shiny locked. I've wanted a legit shiny Keldeo for years.

But nope. Still can't legitimately get a shiny Keldeo. Thanks a lot, GameFreak! >_> Why do they keep putting these stupid shiny locks on them? I see no real reason for this. Why do these Pokemon even have shiny colorations if we can never be allowed to get them beyond hacking? I don't want a hacked Pokemon, of course. But if someone could explain to me why GameFreak keeps doing this stupid crap, I'm all ears. The starters in these games, I can sorta understand because of the cutscene with them. It'd be weird to see a shiny one in it or for them to all be normal color in the cutscene, but one is shiny when you actually pick it. But Pokemon that will spawn in the wild like any other (although only after some requirements are met)? I don't get it at ALL.

Oh yeah, and just to note, I don't want any Crown Tundra spoilers. I hate being spoiled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you soft-reset for getting a shiny in a Max Raid? For example, if the Den has a Gourgeist can I reset until I get a shiny on that same den (2% on the current event, to be precise) or if the den contains a normal one it will forever be a normal one?

Can you soft-reset for getting a shiny in a Max Raid? For example, if the Den has a Gourgeist can I reset until I get a shiny on that same den (2% on the current event, to be precise) or if the den contains a normal one it will forever be a normal one?

Sadly, no. Whenever a den first activates the Mon inside it is hard-locked to whatever it was when it first spawned. That includes things like natures and abilities. So, no, you can't soft reset until you get a shiny, as it'll be locked into whatever it was when it first spawned with no exceptions. No, if you want a shiny Gourgeist from this event, you're gonna have to look for it the old fashioned way by checking out ever den each and every time it spawns until you get lucky, as each den is preset when it first spawns. Sorry, but that's just how it goes.

Ouch, I guess that's the end for 2% chance shinies for me as I don't have enough time to play.

Anyway, how do I join someone's Dynamax Adventure?

I got Pokemon Shield today. I had lost my original copy at some point.
The loading times between zones seems to take a bit longer than it should. Same with going into bag and party. What should I do?

Note: I got the digital copy of the game that comes with the Expansion Pass. At first, I did not care for the DLC, but I have changed my mind.

Okay, I've encountered something that's either a bug or some really lame BS GameFreak decided to throw in the series at some point. I was healing at the Pokemon center in Sword and the nurse said my Pokemon got Pokerus! I was excited, as I'd already naturally obtained it in Shield (early in the game too! I was only at the second gym), now I suddenly had it in sword.

But the two Pokemon I had used in battle just before going there don't have the Pokerus icon on their status screens. So either this is a really lame trolling by GF or a bug that causes the Pokemon center nurse to sometimes say your Pokemon has Pokerus even when it doesn't. Which one is it? I'd really like to know. Because if it's a bug, it really should be fixed.

This especially hurts since I thought my new shiny Galarian Ponyta had gotten it! Yes, I FINALLY ended that hunt I had asked about my luck on! BUT, since I do still have access to Pokerus in Shield, I can trade an infected Pokemon over if I want. So I'm not actually as annoyed as I could've been.

But the two Pokemon I had used in battle just before going there don't have the Pokerus icon on their status screens. So either this is a really lame trolling by GF or a bug that causes the Pokemon center nurse to sometimes say your Pokemon has Pokerus even when it doesn't.
Did you have other members in your party besides those two Pokemon? If not, then I'm inclined to think it's a glitch--I doubt GameFreak would intentionally troll players like that.

Did you have other members in your party besides those two Pokemon? If not, then I'm inclined to think it's a glitch--I doubt GameFreak would intentionally troll players like that.

Yes, but I did not use them in battle, and I checked their screens anyway. I only used the shiny Ponyta and my Mudsdale (the latter when I'd have to switch Ponyta out due to low health).

Yes, but I did not use them in battle, and I checked their screens anyway. I only used the shiny Ponyta and my Mudsdale (the latter when I'd have to switch Ponyta out due to low health).
Hmm. I'd maybe check the Pokemon in your PC. This might be a wild goose chase, but I'm wondering if you have a Pokemon in the PC with Pokerus and that's who the nurse was referring to. I don't have any evidence that the nurse checks more than just your party, but at least it's worth a shot.

Hmm. I'd maybe check the Pokemon in your PC. This might be a wild goose chase, but I'm wondering if you have a Pokemon in the PC with Pokerus and that's who the nurse was referring to. I don't have any evidence that the nurse checks more than just your party, but at least it's worth a shot.

I looked there too, and I'm pretty sure I don't. I spent basically the last month hatching Ponyta eggs and not battling And I did mistakenly bump into wild Pokemon while hatching and did have to battle once or twice to get out of it, so I did check the Pokemon I used at that time and it doesn't have it either. But I guess I can check every single Pokemon I have in my boxes. I didn't do that since that'd take more time.

EDIT: ...Apparently the nurse actually DOES have some kind of power to see inside your PC boxes if Pokemon have Pokerus. Because I found that the Drampa I got in a trade for Pokedex completion has it. I forgot that I got some Pokemon in trades and I just somehow didn't notice one of them had it! I didn't use Drampa in battle, I just wanted the Pokedex entry. So someone decided to be nice enough to give me access to the virus and I just didn't know it until now. *facepalm*

But also, who could have known that the nurse has this weirdo ability?

Last edited:
Can anybody explain cooking curry to me? I want to give it a try for the benefits (having my Pokemon hang on with a single HP in case of a fatal attack), but I don't know how to make it good.

Can anybody explain cooking curry to me? I want to give it a try for the benefits (having my Pokemon hang on with a single HP in case of a fatal attack), but I don't know how to make it good.

Making curry is effectively a button-mashing game. First, you choose one of the food items that you can get (ie: sausages), then you pick up to 10 berries. The rarer the berries, the higher quality the curry will be (ie: the EV berries will provide better curry than the basic ones like Oran and Pecha). The berries will also determine the "flavor" of the curry (Spicy, Sweet, etc), so if you're going for any particular flavor you'll need to use more of certain flavored berries to get that flavor (though, in reality, I don't think flavor has any real impact on the curry outside of the Curry Dex itself, so it doesn't really matter). Once you begin the mini-game, you either mash the A Button like there's no tomorrow or you can detach the right Joy-Con and rapidly shake your arm (with the Joy-Con) up and down to fan the flames. Then, the next step is to either rotate the right Joy-Con's stick or the Joy-Con itself to stir the curry, but not too fast or it'll splatter (like Poffins back in Gen 4). Finally, when you get to the "put your heart into it" segment, just press the A Button when the ring is inside the circle. From what I've experienced, the closer the ring is to the center the better the result will be, but I'm not 100% sure if that's true or not. Anyway, once that's done, you'll get the final verdict of your curry ranked with a star system: 1 (Koffing Class) is the lowest while 5 (Charizard Class) is the highest. The better the curry and the less times you screwed up during the cooking the better bonuses you'll get (ie: 4-Star curry will not only restore your Mon's HP and heal their status, but also restore their PP and give them high chunks of EXP and friendship). It'll take about 5 batches of curry that isn't Koffing Class and lots of playtime (like with the Poke Toy in Camp) to boost your Mons' affection to max to gain the bonuses like surviving a fatal attack or higher chances of scoring a critical hit. Basically, to make good curry, you need to use rarer berries and try to get as much fanning/stirring in as possible during the time limits. It'll take some practice but at the end of the day you'll be getting good curry. Sorry if it's a bit long-winded but I wanted to be as informative as possible. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom