• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Ivysaur

SoFloFoSho
Reaction score
Welcome to the Simple Questions and Simple Answers thread! As the name implies, this is where you should ask any and all questions pertaining to the Pokémon games that this forum is catered to--in The Lost Tower's case, questions regarding any of the older Pokémon games, from the fourth-generation and older (including both mainstream entries and spin-offs).

As before, I do wholeheartedly recommend that you make use of our excellent online encyclopedia, Bulbapedia, as a reference before you post a question in this thread. The answers to virtually all such questions can be found there. For questions regarding the GTS or trading in general, please our GTS helpdesk/feedback thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Generational up-trading work?

After being out of the scene for almost a decade I've decided to get back into both the RPG and TCG sides of Pokemon. My problem is I don't want to play FR/HG just to get all my old Pokemon. Is it possible to trade up through generations? Like, I've traded all my Gen I (Red) Pokemon to Gen II (Gold and some to Crystal)
now, can I buy Ruby and trade them all over to it, then after completing Ruby purchase Diamond and port the whole mess of Pokemon to it and then finally pick up Black and port them all over?
Right now I own a GBP, GBC, GBA and I'm picking up a DS (whichever one supports GBA games) next week. Any suggestions?

Re: Does Generational up-trading work?

No. You can't trade Pokemon from Gen I and II to Gen III. You can transfer your Pokemon from Gen III to Gen IV but its permanent and can't be traded back.

Re: Does Generational up-trading work?

Gen I and II can trade with each other, and only each other.

Gen III Pokémon can be transferred to Gen IV, and Gen IV Pokémon can be transferred to Gen V, however, unlike the first two gens, these aren't trades, but permanent transfers.

Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

Where's a good place to grind to level 100 in Yellow, Gold, and Silver?

I know in Yellow they fixed the Cinnibar Beach bug, which means I can't use that to level grind. I also know in Crystal, they introduce the Battle Tower.

But where's a good place in the other games?

I figured as much. What about Yellow? Where's a good place to grind there?

In Gold and Silver, the best place would be Mt. Silver.

Actually, the best place would probably be the S.S. Aqua. After you defeat all of the Trainers, you can just board it again and defeat them all again until it's past midnight.

In Yellow, the only high-level places to grind are the Elite Four and Cerulean Cave, though you could trade your Pokémon to Red or Blue and use Missingno. to get arbitrarily many Rare Candies.

In Yellow, the only high-level places to grind are the Elite Four and Cerulean Cave, though you could trade your Pokémon to Red or Blue and use Missingno. to get arbitrarily many Rare Candies.

Eh, I rather not. While I'm not a hardcore EV/IV trainer, it's more special for me to not use Rare Candies to get to level 100.

Can someone please tell me how to catch mew on leaf green ? Alot of people say you can ?

Can someone please tell me how to catch mew on leaf green ? Alot of people say you can ?

You can't. Mew is only catchable in Emerald, and you need a special event-only ticket that hasn't been distributed in many years to do it.

Where can you get the Fly and Strength HMs for Silver?

Where in both cities?

You talk to the woman outside Chuck's Gym after beating him for Fly.

For Strength, talk to a sailor in the west-most house in Olivine.

Where's a good place to EV train Special Stats in Yellow?

I don't like how my Mew has maxed out on Calcium and its Special stat is its lowest stat right now.

In Pokemon Crystal, what are the Out of Battle moves that you absolutely must have in order to navigate the world without switching out your party?

In Pokemon Crystal, what are the Out of Battle moves that you absolutely must have in order to navigate the world without switching out your party?

Navigate what part of the world? The only places where Cut is required are (I think) Ilex Forest and the Celadon Gym, though, as in other games, it is needed to reach a number of items. Fly is never necessary but is always useful. Surf is always a good idea. Strength is needed for getting through the Cianwood Gym, Dark Cave, Ice Path, Victory Road, and possibly a couple other places that I can't remember. Flash is never necessary, and it's only of use in Dark Cave, the Whirl Islands, Mt. Silver, Rock Tunnel, and a puzzle in the Ruins of Alph. Whirlpool is needed to enter the Whirl Islands, get through Dragon's Den, and reach a Trainer (and an item?) on Route 27. Waterfall is needed for getting through Tohjo Falls on Route 27, accessing the rest of Mt. Mortar (including Karate King Kiyo), and reaching a few items in Mt. Silver. Rock Smash is only needed for Dark Cave and possibly a couple other places, but there are other areas where it can be used to reach items and/or Shuckles.

I mean the whole world in Crystal.

So The absolutely needed ones are Surf, Strength, Whirlpool, and Waterfall?

Cut, Flash, Fly, and Rock Smash (and by proxy Headbutt) are generally useless?

In ruby, my shiftry leveled to 49 but did not learn leaf storm? is there any way to make it learn it? i play it on visual boy advance so going back to my last saved file as level 48 shouldn't be a problem.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom