• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-6)

It's 209 a good speed for Tyranitar?

• YES

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • NO

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
織田信長☆FAN
Reaction score
Okay, I'm playing VC Crystal in Japanese right now, and I swear the couple at the Daycare didn't so much as mention the Egg Ticket. Sure enough, the PCC is in Goldenrod, so it appears it would still be required, but it's almost as though they opted to remove the Odd Egg from the Japanese version altogether. Can anyone confirm this?

"The Purest Excitement"
Reaction score
Yes, gender existed in Gen 2, and you can SR for a female starter.

Thanks but sense i couldn't figure out how to SR the VC game i just ended up powering down to the ain menu and keeping turning it on till i got one

but on to my next 4 or 5 ? 's

1. Is Lapras in that cave like in HG/SS

2. while i know the Red Gyarados is available in Lake of Rage i'm wondering if it gender locked or not

3. i'm also wondering whether the extreme speed Dratini from dragon's den is gender locked as well

4. what are the requirement for Suicune and the rest of the dogs

5 whats the requirement for getting Lugia and Ho-oh as well

thanks for the help so far

Zeb

what is your spaghetti policy here?
Reaction score
Can the Celebi in Crystal be shiny? Want to know if I should try reset for one when I (eventually) get there.

Reaction score
1. Is Lapras in that cave like in HG/SS
It is, also with the day-of-the-week restriction.
2. while i know the Red Gyarados is available in Lake of Rage i'm wondering if it gender locked or not

3. i'm also wondering whether the extreme speed Dratini from dragon's den is gender locked as well
To my knowledge, no Pokemon is gender-locked.
4. what are the requirement for Suicune and the rest of the dogs
Suicune is part of the story, you can't miss it. Raikou and Entei are roaming Pokemon after you catch it.
5 whats the requirement for getting Lugia and Ho-oh as well
Ho-Oh, you get an item from a man in the tower where you found Suicune after bringing him all three beasts, and you can go to the top of the tower and find it. Lugia, I forget (the item is given to you in Kanto somewhere, and I didn't get far in Kanto), but I know there are some guides out there that can tell you.
Can the Celebi in Crystal be shiny? Want to know if I should try reset for one when I (eventually) get there.
I think so? AFAIK, legendaries weren't shiny-locked until Gen 5.

"The Purest Excitement"
Reaction score
It is, also with the day-of-the-week restriction.

To my knowledge, no Pokemon is gender-locked..
Good i hate gender locked pokes (looking at you lucario)

Suicune is part of the story, you can't miss it. Raikou and Entei are roaming Pokemon after you catch it.
i figured that but whats the item

Ho-Oh, you get an item from a man in the tower where you found Suicune after bringing him all three beasts, and you can go to the top of the tower and find it. Lugia, I forget (the item is given to you in Kanto somewhere, and I didn't get far in Kanto), but I know there are some guides out there that can tell you.
damn i was hoping to use it against lance

oh and thanks for the help

Reaction score
What's the best way to trade with myself in Generation 6 without using Pokémon Bank and two systems, in order to make Pokémon evolve by trading? Is that GTS thing of requesting too specific pokémon work? I remember that in previous generations, it took days and sometimes it didn't work...

What's your favorite scary movie?
Reaction score
What's the best way to trade with myself in Generation 6 without using Pokémon Bank and two systems, in order to make Pokémon evolve by trading? Is that GTS thing of requesting too specific pokémon work? I remember that in previous generations, it took days and sometimes it didn't work...
You could try requesting a trade back with another member. There is a trade back thread in the GTS section, unless that’s what you were referring to.

I can personally do it if you’re fine waiting until tomorrow as I’m going to bed soon.

Splashing the Seven Seas
Reaction score
Speaking of the VC Celebi, how do you get it? I thought it was a mystery gift. Is it an in-game event?

Reaction score
If I were to create a new save file in Pokemon Black without deleting my old one (thus rendering it unsaveable), would it be possible to transfer the new file's Pokemon from there to either my good file or another Gen V cartridge without overwriting all my progress on the original file or using hacking devices? Or do I just have to give up on any new Pokemon I find there?

Outlaws for Life
Reaction score
@Zosonils That's impossible, I'm afraid. Starting from Gen IV, you have to delete your existing file before starting a new one.

Reaction score
I thought you could still start a new game as long as you didn't save it? That's how it was on my Pokemon Pearl.

Even if it, though, you couldn't transfer them-all trades/transfers require saving beforehand.

Steel-type Researcher
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to finish the game with a complete set of 6 Unowns? It's also one of my favorites and I'm trying to raise one right now, but I figured it would be very tough to only have a set of Unown plus a SET battle setting.

"The Purest Excitement"
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to finish the game with a complete set of 6 Unowns? It's also one of my favorites and I'm trying to raise one right now, but I figured it would be very tough to only have a set of Unown plus a SET battle setting.
Its almost impossible but barely doable because it can only know 1 move hidden power and only has a psychic typing

Reaction score
You could try requesting a trade back with another member. There is a trade back thread in the GTS section, unless that’s what you were referring to.

I can personally do it if you’re fine waiting until tomorrow as I’m going to bed soon.
Thank you, but I don't have any Pokémon to evolve at the moment. I just wish to know if it is possible to trade with myself whenever I have them by using GTS. As I said, even if I made specific requests in Gen 4 and 5 GTS, it was hard to find them in my other games, so I couldn't trade.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Got a quick question regarding a certain evolution.

I'm doing a rerun in SoulSilver (I wanted to compare the similarities/differences between Crystal and SS, just out of curiosity, though I've come to see it's basically comparing apples to oranges at this point) and I was debating if evolving a certain Mon now would be better than waiting. The Mon in question is Weepinbell. I've done some research on the wiki and have been wondering if waiting to evolve Weepinbell is a good idea or not. It doesn't learn a lot of good moves until later levels in Gen IV, and by then it might become redundant, as I'm not 100% certain it'll stick around that long as a teammate (though it has been a useful Mon catcher, befitting of its nature). It mostly has been a counter to Silver's Totodile, but the gator will soon get Ice Fang, which will shut the flycatcher down in no time. I've already gotten a Leaf Stone from the Picnicker girl near the daycare so I'm tempted to evolve it now, as the only move I was thinking of waiting for is Razor Leaf, but Victreebel learns the more powerful Leaf Blade and such near the same level, plus has higher stats. And I've stockpiled various TMs and such in other games, so giving it other moves via TMs and such is an easy thing to do. So my question is this: should I evolve Weepinbell now or wait until later? Oh, and before I forget, I'm currently training before heading to Burnt Tower for the first time, so Weepinbell is Lv 23 at this point with the moves Vine Whip/Acid/Sleep Powder/Stun Spore. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I'd go ahead and evolve it. You've only got one move in mind to wait for, and you just said that Leaf Blade is already accessible at the same level and is stronger.

Reaction score
Hello- I've been breeding a female Snubbull with a shiny Ditto in Pokemon Crystal VC, in the hopes of hatching a shiny. I've hatched around 100-200 eggs by now, and I know that even with greatly increased odds, its still a long process that requires a lot of patience- I just wanted to make sure that the Snubbull mother's stats haven't created a situation in which a shiny baby wouldn't be possible. I saw it mentioned on I think the Shiny Pokemon page on Bulbapedia that if you breed the wrong two parents, there can be a 0% chance in shiny offspring in Gen 2, but I figured that with a shiny parent, that scenario wouldn't occur?

So I guess what I'm asking is: Does anyone know if its possible to breed a shiny parent with a non-shiny parent in Generation 2, and for the breeding to have zero chances of being shiny? I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time for nothing.

EDIT: Finally got it! I'm still kind of curious if its possible, but I'm glad it wasn't the case for me, haha.

Last edited:
I aim to misbehave
Reaction score
Hello- I've been breeding a female Snubbull with a shiny Ditto in Pokemon Crystal VC, in the hopes of hatching a shiny. I've hatched around 100-200 eggs by now, and I know that even with greatly increased odds, its still a long process that requires a lot of patience- I just wanted to make sure that the Snubbull mother's stats haven't created a situation in which a shiny baby wouldn't be possible. I saw it mentioned on I think the Shiny Pokemon page on Bulbapedia that if you breed the wrong two parents, there can be a 0% chance in shiny offspring in Gen 2, but I figured that with a shiny parent, that scenario wouldn't occur?

So I guess what I'm asking is: Does anyone know if its possible to breed a shiny parent with a non-shiny parent in Generation 2, and for the breeding to have zero chances of being shiny? I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time for nothing.

EDIT: Finally got it! I'm still kind of curious if its possible, but I'm glad it wasn't the case for me, haha.
The odds for this shiny Pokemon are the magnificent 1/64. That, however, doesn't mean that you're GUARANTEED a shiny every 64 hatches, just that it's much more likely than if you didn't have the shiny Ditto (the odds would be 1/8192).

Now, in Gen 2, the odds of breeding a shiny are most definitely reliant on the DV's passed down from parent to child. Now, in Gen 2, DVs are inherited from the parent of the opposite gender as it is. Meaning a female would inherit the DV's from the male parent. But, when a Ditto is involved, the odds are inherited from the Ditto. HOWEVER, it is only the Defence and Special stat DV's that are inherited. Attack and Speed are random, and HP is...well HP is a giant mess to explain, but it's determined USING the other stats. Honestly though, the HP DV isn't NEEDED for a shiny Pokemon, it's a CONSEQUENCE of the shiny Pokemon.

Now, to be shiny, the Pokemon needs Defence, Special, and Speed DV's of 10, and an attack DV of 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15.

SO, seeing as your Ditto was shiny, we can assume what the inherited DV's are from the info above. The randomness of the Attack and Speed are likely what causes the hatch to not always be a shiny Pokemon.

TL;DR, from what I know of Gen 2 shiny breeding, I can't assume your Snubble is the reason you haven't hatched one yet. There's a small tool I use here when I shiny breed to see my odds, but it's not something that would aid you immensely.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm breeding a Larvitar in HG (4gen) but I'm not sure what is a "good" speed for him. I'm thinking grow with nature 'Jolly' (+ speed, - esp. attack) for what his have a good speed, instead of use 'Adamant' (+ attack, - esp. attack).
The base stats = (at lvl 100):

PS: 100 = 310
Attack: 134 + 252 ev + 31 iv* = 367
Defense: 110 = 225
Esp. attack: 95 - bonus nature = 175
Esp. defense: 100 + 6 ev = 205
Speed: 65 + 252 ev + bonus nature = 209

* In HG you can only know what is the maximum IV, not the others.

It's this speed, 209, a good speed for Tyranitar? Or maybe it's too much EV in speed, and i could improve another stats?

Thanks