• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-6)

It's 209 a good speed for Tyranitar?

• YES

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • NO

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
is friendship with pokemon a factor in black/white? i wasnt sure how to do this, as in gen 4 i just walked a lot with pokemon to achieve it
is there an eevee in this game?
what of the pokemon starters from the previous generations? i know oak gave one and steven (gen 4 games) did but they are not found in this game
To answer these in order:
1) Yes, friendship is still part of these games. Some Mons, like Swadloon, can only evolve via friendship, so it is still a requirement in some cases. And the plot tends to point out the PC's friendship with both the rivals and his/her Mons. So, yes, friendship is still part of the equation in Gen V, and is often a plot-point.
2) No and yes. There are no Eevees in BW (or at least main game), but you can find them in the main playthrough of B2W2. But you won't be getting Glaceon or Leafeon any time soon in B2W2, as both of those areas where their respective rocks are located (Twist Mountain and Pinwheel Forest, respectively) are closed off during the main game, only opening up post-game.
3) You don't get any starters from past gens in Gen V. You have to transfer them over from Gen IV, but only in post-game.

Hope this helps.

Boruto

Yᵒᵘ Oᶰˡʸ Lᶤᵛᵉ Oᴺcᴱ
Reaction score
Was it possible to get a Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, or Arceus in the Gen 5 games with a properly capitalized name (i.e. "Mew" instead of "MEW")? Legitimately I mean.

TechSkylander1518

Reaction score
Was it possible to get a Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, or Arceus in the Gen 5 games with a properly capitalized name (i.e. "Mew" instead of "MEW")? Legitimately I mean.
Just Arceus! Jirachi had some Gen 5 distributions, but they were all in other languages.

You can check this information on their Bulbapedia articles! The Game Locations section includes past events!

matthewmayhem

Reaction score
Thanks Cynthia! just a couple more questions come up for the same game
Who do i trade my shards with? i remember i used to get berries for them before, which changed depending on which shard i gave them
And i have a big nugget, but apparently it has to be sold to one very specific person who is described as a "maniac" it is a sure mystery as to who it is

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Thanks Cynthia! just a couple more questions come up for the same game
Who do i trade my shards with? i remember i used to get berries for them before, which changed depending on which shard i gave them
And i have a big nugget, but apparently it has to be sold to one very specific person who is described as a "maniac" it is a sure mystery as to who it is
If you're talking about BW, then you trade both Shards AND the Big Nugget at Icarus City's Pokemon Center, with the gentleman near the counter. He's an item maniac, so he'll give you double the money for what you can sell them for at regular Marts (and in the Big Nugget's case, the only place where you can sell it is to him). If this is B2W2, then you trade the Shards for Move Tutor moves, though unlike Platinum, only one color is needed per move, as each Tutor only accepts one color (but, obviously, you'll need multiples to get higher-powered moves). The Big Nugget's selling location is the same as BW, however, Icarus City is also cut off until post-game.

Hope that helps.

BrightEyes

Reaction score
POKEMON CRYSTAL: I've been using gameshark codes and the clock cheat and have even put the EGG (igglybuff, cleffa, etc) in the PC. So I'm wondering if I may have broken the egg forever. Does using repels effect hatching? I've rode the bicycle for at least 3000 steps clean, and the stats message still hasn't changed. Is it beyond repair?

matthewmayhem

Reaction score
he is in that house (the nice house..) where the family challenge me for a battle and more of them turn up each day until everyone is present

matthewmayhem

Reaction score
i cant do the poke transfer because i never manage to catch all 6 of the pokemon in the mini game so it doesnt let me have them. Any tips on that one?

Kakea

Survivor
Reaction score
I need help with the breeding process in Gen2: I'm trying to get a Male Smeargle (for passing Moves...) but I KEEP getting female! Girls are popping everytime I mate any of my Smeargles... Is there a way to control what's born?

prog rocker

Reaction score
Can you use Japanese e-Reader cards with an American game? Also, are RS cards compatible with Emerald?

atari6600

Reaction score
Hello everybody. So I've been recently playing a classic Gold Version cartridge I bought back in 2013 on my Game Boy Pocket and I've been flipping between training a Poliwrath or using my Lapras for the Elite Four. I just caught a Poliwag, but at the time of capture all I had was Lure Balls and one Heavy Ball (so sue me, I spent all my money on vitamins to evolve my Eevee).

I honestly, do not want to wait for days on end just to get a call from the Fisherman who gives you Water Stones, so I figured I'd just evolve it into Poliwhirl and then trade it into Gen 1, buy a Water Stone at the Celadon Department Store and then evolve it in game and trade it back.

The problem being...I know there are restrictions on the Time Capsule like moves and held items. The question is, if I captured Poliwag in one of Kurt's custom made Pokeballs will that prevent the Poliwhirl from being traded into the game as well. I have a GBP, GBC and old friend pawned off to me and a link cable...I just need to make sure I can still do the trade.

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Hi, quick question. I'm continuing my SoulSilver run (as I misplaced my UltraSun while cleaning up my apartment, though I've also been very happily distracted with my shiny new Dragon Quest XI game) and I wanted to ask something regarding a certain Mon. When would be the "best" time to evolve a Nidorina into a Nidoqueen? I haven't raised a Nido in who knows how long, but I wanted to try something different this time around (plus my luck with getting a decent male Nidoran wasn't very good). My Nidorina is currently at Lv30, has Poison Point, has a Serious nature, and I'm just past the first trip to the Lighthouse (which means I'll be heading off to get the Secret Potion shortly, but I wanted to do some grinding first), but I'm not sure when would be the most "ideal" time to evolve her. Again, this is Gen IV, and it's the first time I've "properly" raised a Nido since my very first SoulSilver run, so my Nido-knowledge is rusty. So just to restate the question: when is the "best" time to evolve a Nidorina into a Nidoqueen? Thanks in advance to whoever decides to answer.

Gengarzilla

Intangible Interdimensional Interloper
Reaction score
Hi, quick question. I'm continuing my SoulSilver run (as I misplaced my UltraSun while cleaning up my apartment, though I've also been very happily distracted with my shiny new Dragon Quest XI game) and I wanted to ask something regarding a certain Mon. When would be the "best" time to evolve a Nidorina into a Nidoqueen? I haven't raised a Nido in who knows how long, but I wanted to try something different this time around (plus my luck with getting a decent male Nidoran wasn't very good). My Nidorina is currently at Lv30, has Poison Point, has a Serious nature, and I'm just past the first trip to the Lighthouse (which means I'll be heading off to get the Secret Potion shortly, but I wanted to do some grinding first), but I'm not sure when would be the most "ideal" time to evolve her. Again, this is Gen IV, and it's the first time I've "properly" raised a Nido since my very first SoulSilver run, so my Nido-knowledge is rusty. So just to restate the question: when is the "best" time to evolve a Nidorina into a Nidoqueen? Thanks in advance to whoever decides to answer.
Level-wise, I would say the best time to evolve your Nidorina is when it learns Crunch at level 43, as this is also the level at which Nidoqueen learns Earth Power. I think being able to get a new Ground type move right away makes this the most convenient point.

Looking at your question from a "game progress" perspective though, it would also be good to have it evolved by the time you face Jasmine if your team doesn't already have a way to handle Steel types. In my most recent HeartGold run, having Typhlosion meant I didn't feel pressured to evolve my Nidorino by then, but that might not be the case with you.

Dieter

Dieter
Reaction score
Hello everybody. So I've been recently playing a classic Gold Version cartridge I bought back in 2013 on my Game Boy Pocket and I've been flipping between training a Poliwrath or using my Lapras for the Elite Four. I just caught a Poliwag, but at the time of capture all I had was Lure Balls and one Heavy Ball (so sue me, I spent all my money on vitamins to evolve my Eevee).

I honestly, do not want to wait for days on end just to get a call from the Fisherman who gives you Water Stones, so I figured I'd just evolve it into Poliwhirl and then trade it into Gen 1, buy a Water Stone at the Celadon Department Store and then evolve it in game and trade it back.

The problem being...I know there are restrictions on the Time Capsule like moves and held items. The question is, if I captured Poliwag in one of Kurt's custom made Pokeballs will that prevent the Poliwhirl from being traded into the game as well. I have a GBP, GBC and old friend pawned off to me and a link cable...I just need to make sure I can still do the trade.
Should be fine. Gen I and II don't keep track of what pokeballs you caught your mons in, so it shouldn't keep you from trading. Also, the Fisherman only gives out Water Stones in Crystal, iirc

CynthiaLover

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Level-wise, I would say the best time to evolve your Nidorina is when it learns Crunch at level 43, as this is also the level at which Nidoqueen learns Earth Power. I think being able to get a new Ground type move right away makes this the most convenient point.

Looking at your question from a "game progress" perspective though, it would also be good to have it evolved by the time you face Jasmine if your team doesn't already have a way to handle Steel types. In my most recent HeartGold run, having Typhlosion meant I didn't feel pressured to evolve my Nidorino by then, but that might not be the case with you.
Thank you, that's very helpful. I didn't have to worry about Jasmine, as I had a Typhlosion as well (who utterly steamrolled her, which is a shame because she's such a sweet Gym Leader, and the only female Johto Gym Leader who doesn't have a temper tantrum when she loses), so I could afford to wait to evolve Nidorina. So Lv43 it is. Thanks again.

atari6600

Reaction score
Should be fine. Gen I and II don't keep track of what pokeballs you caught your mons in, so it shouldn't keep you from trading. Also, the Fisherman only gives out Water Stones in Crystal, iirc
So I would need to trade over anyway. Well at least I don't have to worry and can take care of it. Thanks for the information.

Rockapheller

Trainer since late 90's
Reaction score
Is Eevee's friendship/happiness 70 or 0 when Bill gives you in HeartGold/SoulSilver?