• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Actually, this is incorrect. The evolution stone available on Thursdays at the Pokeathlon Dome is the Thunderstone. I should know, I waited to get one to evolve an Eevee. xP Also, I'm afraid the Shiny Stone isn't available there at all. The only stones you can get there are the Moon Stone, Fire Stone, Thunderstone, Leaf Stone, and Water Stone.

You can get one post game :p

Oh, well, you didn't mention that. xP

Though I did check this the other day and you're right. Still Bulbapedia also says that the Shiny Stone is available on a few other days as well. I forgot exactly what they are, but the article said that on some days you can get the Dusk Stone while on the others you can get the Shiny Stone.

Where's the Rock Climb one? I'm going to have to try and get the one from Josh again this Thursday. I've had no luck so far.

The Rock Climb one is in National Park, oddly enough. I'm pretty sure that the Trainers who give out evostones don't do it after rematches; they just call you at some random point to offer you a stone. Personally, I advise you to give up on trying to get evostones that way and instead save before doing the Bug-Catching Contest and soft-reset until you win the stone you want.

Oh, well, you didn't mention that. xP

Though I did check this the other day and you're right. Still Bulbapedia also says that the Shiny Stone is available on a few other days as well. I forgot exactly what they are, but the article said that on some days you can get the Dusk Stone while on the others you can get the Shiny Stone.

You can get a Shiny Stone at the Pokéathlon Dome on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday; Dusk Stones are on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. For a compact chart of the Athlete Shop's offerings, see here.

Re: Simple Questions and Simple Answers

I don't know if this is the right place for this but... Where can you find out what moves pokemon learn by level up in PMD explorers of time?

ok I was thinking about making a thread on this but decided against it, but I would like multiple responses to this question. This is for people who soft reset for shinies. I am currently doing it and have done it before but have been unsuccesful, I gave up on a shiny Kyurem after 3 weeks. I am currently doing it again it has been 8 days I think I've been keeping track of my attempts and so far I have attempted it 1,010 times. Do you ever just give up? or do you keep going no matter what? I guess what do you advise for me?

To breed extrasensory onto a togepi, I should use a ditto and a HGSS Togepi (evolved into Togetic). Am I right?

Does catching a Pokemon in Entralink ever fail? It didn't happen to me yet, so I'm curious.
No. Since you wished for the Pokemon to exist in reality at all, they happily join you without resistance.

Does catching a Pokemon in Entralink ever fail? It didn't happen to me yet, so I'm curious.

No. The Dream Ball has a catch rate of 255, the same as Master Balls and Park Balls, and all three bypass the Catch Rate equation/thing entirely.

Actually any ball used in Entree Forest acts as a master ball, the dream ball is just there in case you don't have any poke balls or want to distinguish them further from normal pokemon.

I'm not sure. Maybe Bulbapedia?

Also, I'm stuck in HeartGold. I want to enter Diglett's Cave, but there's a Snorlax in the way. My strat guide says to tune to the Poke Flute on the radio, but I can't do that. It isn't listed in the post-hall of fame radio schedule either.

Since an actual Poke Flute is used to wake Snorlax in FR/LG, I'm going to guess that this isn't an error in the guide. How do I get the Poke Flute on the radio?

I don't know if this is the right place for this but... Where can you find out what moves pokemon learn by level up in PMD explorers of time?
Yeah, I'd use Bulbapedia. The learnsets are the same as the generation PMD: EoS was released in :)

I'm not sure. Maybe Bulbapedia?

Also, I'm stuck in HeartGold. I want to enter Diglett's Cave, but there's a Snorlax in the way. My strat guide says to tune to the Poke Flute on the radio, but I can't do that. It isn't listed in the post-hall of fame radio schedule either.

Since an actual Poke Flute is used to wake Snorlax in FR/LG, I'm going to guess that this isn't an error in the guide. How do I get the Poke Flute on the radio?

You need to drag the tuner up to the top, exactly in the center. I made this mistake too :)

Ah, I see. Thanks! I KO'd the Snorlax by accident, but it's no big deal. xP

hey you guys, does anyone know if i can use a French copy of HeartGold with my English copy of PBR? thanks!

I looked it up, and while it won't work if one is Japanese, it doesn't say anything about French. I think your best bet would be to try :)

hey you guys, does anyone know if i can use a French copy of HeartGold with my English copy of PBR? thanks!
It depends what you define 'English' as. If by 'English' you mean 'England', then yes, it will work as the game has all five non-Japanese languages, but you need to create a second savefile in French as far as I know, since it language-locks.
If you mean 'English' as in actually meaning 'American', which is common for those over that side of the pond, I'd say probably not since as far as I know most American Pokemon games are English-only.

OK as much as I'm ashamed to say this...I don't know what EV/IV means nor what EV/IV training means.
I've read the bulbapedia articles and didn't understand a thing.
Can somebody explain to me what EV/IV means ????
THANKS A LOT

Short answer from someone who doesn't battle competitively.

EVs: You earn them from defeating Pokémon of a certain type, ie Pokémon a gives 2 speed EVs when beaten, Pokémon B gives 1 attack and 1 special defense IV. The EVs you gain effect the stats you receive when you level up.

IVs: Randomly generated distribution of stats determined when you first see a Pokémon, so Pokémon of the same species will be different because of different distributions.

Hope I helped!

ok I was thinking about making a thread on this but decided against it, but I would like multiple responses to this question. This is for people who soft reset for shinies. I am currently doing it and have done it before but have been unsuccesful, I gave up on a shiny Kyurem after 3 weeks. I am currently doing it again it has been 8 days I think I've been keeping track of my attempts and so far I have attempted it 1,010 times. Do you ever just give up? or do you keep going no matter what? I guess what do you advise for me?
Give up I say--SR'ing for shinies isn't the way to go so far as I know. Shinies are best obtained, so far as I know, by breeding pokemon from different locations. DPPt's Pokeradar gives less chance, but it does also offer increased chance of a shiny.

I would capture and soft reset my legendaries and compare their stats. I found it fun to roughly compare their Natures and IV's. However, going simply for shinies offers you no fun.
OK as much as I'm ashamed to say this...I don't know what EV/IV means nor what EV/IV training means.
I've read the bulbapedia articles and didn't understand a thing.
Can somebody explain to me what EV/IV means ????
THANKS A LOT
It might help to first know what the "I" and the "E" designate. The "I" stands for "Individual," and the "E" for "Effort." The "V" in both terms stands for "Values."

When calculating/figuring a stat of any pokemon's six stats, there are ultimately 4 things that will determine or have determined it at level one hundred, if all things are calculated/figured: 1, Base stat value (this number is multiplied x2, and +5 is added to it [same for all the stats but HP, where +110 is added])--this precedes all "Effort;" 2, IV's, this precedes training-"Effort;" 3, EV's, this is purely training-"effort;" 4, a pokemon's nature--this is a final multiplier of 1.1, or 110%. (No nature modifies HP, so HP's is ultimately determined by base stat, IV, and EVs.)

Base stat value and how it determines a pokemon's stat is easy to calculate. Mienshao's base Attack is 125. At level 100, if its Attack IV is 0, and it has received less than 4 Attack EVs (more on this below), and it has an Attack-neutral nature, than its attack stat will be 255. (Simply, 125 x2, or 250, plus 5, 255.) Mienshao's base Speed is 105. Assuming the same conditions (0 speed IV, 3 or less speed EVs*, and a neutral speed nature), its Speed at level 100 will be 215. All Mienshao have the same base stats as other Mienshao, and all Gyarados have the same base stats as other Gyarados.

Differing IV's will distinguish all wild pokemon you encounter and pokemon you breed from others of the same species (as will a pokemon's nature**). Every pokemon you encounter and breed will have, for each of its stats, an IV, potentially as high as 31, potentially as low as 0. This value for that stat is "added" onto the stat, or rather, is figured into it. IV's can be determined with surety if your pokemon is at level 100 and has no EV's, or instead if you know what EV's your pokemon has received. If the Mienshao in the above example (level 100, with no EV's and an attack- and speed- neutral nature) had an Attack IV of 22 and a Speed IV of 14 instead, then its attack would be 277 (simply 22 points higher) and its speed would be 229 (simply 14 points higher). I think it's now easy to see how IVs determine a stat.

EV's are all up to the trainer, and whichever pokemon he decides to send a given one of his pokemon against, and how often he does so. When you battle a pokemon with one of your own, your pokemon receives "Effort Value" points in reward. At level one hundred for sure (or else, when all EV's get finally figured in), a pokemon's stat will increase (or, "will have increased") by one point for every 4 Effort Value points it received of that stat. A pokemon can receive as many as 510 EV's for all stats combined, and as many as 255 for any one stat. (As 255 isn't divisible by 4, 252 is the sensible limit. As well, as 510 isn't divisible by 4, 508 is the practical limit, though 510 should be hit anyway.)

All pokemon reward you with EV points for facing them. For instance, Magikarp offers 1 speed EV. If you send in a pokemon with 252+ EV's to spare, and no more than 3 EV's in speed already, against 252 Magikarp consecutively, your pokemon will now have 252-255 speed EV's. Once your EV's register, at level 100, your pokemon's speed (assuming you have a speed-neutral nature) will be 63 points higher than if it hadn't received any speed EVs (i.e., you didn't receive more than 3 EV's of speed through the various pokemon you have battled). When players play through the game with their pokemon, and battle pokemon either in the wild or owned by trainers, they are giving their pokemon EV's, whether they know it or not. People who know about and care about EV training for competitive play will not settle for a completely wild/random EV spread obtained through gameplay. (Not everyone cares about EV's so intensely.)

Lastly, a pokemon's nature will either affect 2 stats, or none at all. A nature that modifies two stats will multiply one by 1.1, or make it 10% higher, and multiply the other one by .9, or make it 10% lower. (Decimals are dropped, so 59 * 1.1 is equal to 64; 60 * 1.1 is equal to 66.) Natures are comprehensive when they multiply stats, and thus multiply the determining effects of IV's and EV's.

~

Other than that, there isn't much to say, except that Hidden Power has its type and power determined by IV's.

~

More answers on the way.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom