• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

I just started Black and my Snivy has a Modest nature, meaning that her Sp.Atk is increased and Attack decreased, but her characteristic is Quick Tempered, meaning that she has Attack IV's (I think). I've been playing since Blue version, but I'm still noobish when it comes to IV's and EV's, so my question is will the Sp.Atk boosting nature and Attack boosting characteristic balance each other out to fairly neutral stats?

Are the genders of the Zen Darmanitan in the Desert Resort randomly generated or are they all males?

@Drakon the 1st one i caught was a female so i assume it's random.

I just started Black and my Snivy has a Modest nature, meaning that her Sp.Atk is increased and Attack decreased, but her characteristic is Quick Tempered, meaning that she has Attack IV's (I think). I've been playing since Blue version, but I'm still noobish when it comes to IV's and EV's, so my question is will the Sp.Atk boosting nature and Attack boosting characteristic balance each other out to fairly neutral stats?

having the Characteristic "Quick Tempered" (you're sure it's not "a little quick tempered"?) just means that it's highest IV is in it's Atk stat, thus meaning that stat will shine better than the rest of it's stats. It's atk iv is one of the following with that specific characteristic: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29.
And assuming it's a fresh pokemon, it won't have any EVs.

EV = points given to a pokemon for defeating (or participating in a battle and coming out the victor), +4 EVs = +1 stat point
IV = hidden value between 0-31 that determine the internal potential of a pokemon (mainly competitively)

So basically, since your Snivy is Modest it's Atk. stat won't grow as quickly as it would with any other nature that aren't -Atk.
But this is all just going off what i know so take my mumblings with a pint of salt :X

Last edited:

I understand that in double battles, the power of moves that hit multiple targets (Surf, Rock Slide etc) have their damage reduced. How much is reduced in triple battles, when the attack will hit all 3 (say, a Pokémon in the middle uses surf)?

Are the genders of the Zen Darmanitan in the Desert Resort randomly generated or are they all males?

They are randomly generated with the gender ratio of 50% male and 50% female which is 1:1. I have a female Zen Mode Darmanitan from the Desert Resort.

Nope, no difference.
As far as I know, the only difference is the effect they have on Pokéathlon stats in HGSS.
Thank you! :)

Last edited:

@.Joshawott: I believe that the power of any move that hits multiple Pokémon in triple battles has its power reduced to 75%, the same as in double battles. However, a Pokémon in the middle position using a multi-target move will receive an attack bonus that essentially brings the power of multi-target moves back up to their normal effectiveness.

@Drakon the 1st one i caught was a female so i assume it's random.

having the Characteristic "Quick Tempered" (you're sure it's not "a little quick tempered"?) just means that it's highest IV is in it's Atk stat, thus meaning that stat will shine better than the rest of it's stats. It's atk iv is one of the following with that specific characteristic: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29.
And assuming it's a fresh pokemon, it won't have any EVs.

EV = points given to a pokemon for defeating (or participating in a battle and coming out the victor), +4 EVs = +1 stat point
IV = hidden value between 0-31 that determine the internal potential of a pokemon (mainly competitively)

So basically, since your Snivy is Modest it's Atk. stat won't grow as quickly as it would with any other nature that aren't -Atk.
But this is all just going off what i know so take my mumblings with a pint of salt :X

Thanks! That helped me understand it alot better (and it was Quick Tempered if it changes anything).

Looking for help with my team!

As the title suggests I'm looking for some advice, I am currently having a lot of trouble with the champion, and to a lesser degree the 4th member of the elite4.

Here is my team - please be brutal in tearing it apart. Also if you could let me know of any changes in moves/pokemon/leveling etc~!!!! Thanks in advance :D.

Ampharos
Lv40
Rock Smash
Thunder Punch
Discharge
Charge
Item - Quick Claw

Feraligator
Lv 38
Crunch
Waterfall
Surf
Ice Fang
Item - Nevermelt Ice

Ho-oh
lv46
Extrasensory
Sunny Day
Fire Blast
Sacred Fire
Item - Amulet Coin

Togetic
Lv35
Fire Blast
Fly
Extrasensory
Ancient Power
Item - King's Rock

Nidoking
Lv40
Double Slap
Dig
Strength
Horn Attack
Item - Exp.Share(will most likely be changing who carries this!)

I also have a 36 Bellossom whom is usually part of my team, however he has proven quite useless in the elite4, I was considering raising either a machop or maybe an eevee evolution however I am open to suggestions!

Thanks,
Kommander (James)

Re: Looking for help with my team!

As the title suggests I'm looking for some advice, I am currently having a lot of trouble with the champion, and to a lesser degree the 4th member of the elite4.

Here is my team - please be brutal in tearing it apart. Also if you could let me know of any changes in moves/pokemon/leveling etc~!!!! Thanks in advance :D.

Ampharos
Lv40
Rock Smash
Thunder Punch
Discharge
Charge
Item - Quick Claw

Feraligator
Lv 38
Crunch
Waterfall
Surf
Ice Fang
Item - Nevermelt Ice

Ho-oh
lv46
Extrasensory
Sunny Day
Fire Blast
Sacred Fire
Item - Amulet Coin

Togetic
Lv35
Fire Blast
Fly
Extrasensory
Ancient Power
Item - King's Rock

Nidoking
Lv40
Double Slap
Dig
Strength
Horn Attack
Item - Exp.Share(will most likely be changing who carries this!)

I also have a 36 Bellossom whom is usually part of my team, however he has proven quite useless in the elite4, I was considering raising either a machop or maybe an eevee evolution however I am open to suggestions!

Thanks,
Kommander (James)

I think you should levle up most of your Pokemon because they are quite low leveled for the E-4 and also get rid of Horn Attack and Double Slap on Nidoking because it is useless and can be replaced with better moves.

@.Kommander: As your team is just meant to battle against the Elite Four, I would recommend simply leveling them up. Almost any decent team can take down the E4 so long as they're properly leveled. As you're using Ho-oh, I'll assume that you're fighting the Johto Elite Four - if you bring in a team where all of the members are around lv.50 and carry a good supply of healing items with you, you should be fine.

BW Shapes and Meanings

What do the shapes mean above the item section in a Pokémon's summary? I have a Ditto (that I received in a trade) with the diamond at the end filled in black but none of my other Pokémon have shapes filled in. I did a bit of research on the subject but to no avail.

Re: BW Shapes and Meanings

These are just markings, you can select them on or off.
std-pokemonwhite_08_24480.png
You did mean this right?

Re: BW Shapes and Meanings

Also next time, please use the Simpe Questions/Simple Answers sticky.

Thanks.

I have a question about the move Fling. Lets say I fling my item at my target, then use thief - what item will I get, the item I flung (flinged?) or the item that the my target holds from the beginning?

I have a question about the move Fling. Lets say I fling my item at my target, then use thief - what item will I get, the item I flung (flinged?) or the item that the my target holds from the beginning?

The item your foe was holding originally. Fling doesn't give the target your item, just throws it at them.

The item your foe was holding originally. Fling doesn't give the target your item, just throws it at them.

Oh I see, thanks for answering. I thought it might worked as the move replaced the original item. =)

I'm a little bit stuck on Pearl. I've defeated Maylene and earned my fourth badge (I beat Crasher Wake first), but Fantina still hasn't returned to her Gym. I assume I need to do something involving Team Galactic first, but after speaking to the grunt in Pastoria City I can't find him again. I was going to look for him at Lake Valor, but there are two men blocking the entrance. I can't get into the Galactic Veilstone Building, as it's saying I need a card key or something to unlock the metal doors. Any idea what I need to do next?

I'm a little bit stuck on Pearl. I've defeated Maylene and earned my fourth badge (I beat Crasher Wake first), but Fantina still hasn't returned to her Gym. I assume I need to do something involving Team Galactic first, but after speaking to the grunt in Pastoria City I can't find him again. I was going to look for him at Lake Valor, but there are two men blocking the entrance. I can't get into the Galactic Veilstone Building, as it's saying I need a card key or something to unlock the metal doors. Any idea what I need to do next?

I think you need to get to Veilstone Gym and meet Dawn/Lucas and then go to the warehouse northeast to obtain the card key.

I think you need to get to Veilstone Gym and meet Dawn/Lucas and then go to the warehouse northeast to obtain the card key.

I did team up with Dawn to beat two of the grunts, and then went in the warehouse, but didn't see a card key in there. I'll have another look.

I did team up with Dawn to beat two of the grunts, and then went in the warehouse, but didn't see a card key in there. I'll have another look.

There should be a grunt outside the building that will give you the card you need.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom