• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

I got distracted and accidentally knocked bisharp out so I will have to try again. Glad to know I didn’t do anything wrong! Also glad chaining isn’t like it was in diamond and pearl because I messed that up A LOT! lol

So in the SOS section on Bulbapedia, it says that in Sun and Moon the chain rolls over after 255 called. Does it not roll over in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon? I need to know to start my SOS hunt. Thanks!

Hi, I'm breeding a Larvitar in HG (4gen) but I'm not sure what is a "good" speed for him. I'm thinking grow with nature 'Jolly' (+ speed, - esp. attack) for what his have a good speed, instead of use 'Adamant' (+ attack, - esp. attack).
The base stats = (at lvl 100):

PS: 100 = 310
Attack: 134 + 252 ev + 31 iv* = 367
Defense: 110 = 225
Esp. attack: 95 - bonus nature = 175
Esp. defense: 100 + 6 ev = 205
Speed: 65 + 252 ev + bonus nature = 209

* In HG you can only know what is the maximum IV, not the others.

It's this speed, 209, a good speed for Tyranitar? Or maybe it's too much EV in speed, and i could improve another stats?

Thanks

Comatose makes it completely immune to Poison and Burn, so I would assume the item never activates and the game never gives any text acknowledging it, just like Toxic Orb won't ever activate if the holder gets burned/paralyzed/etc. first.

never on the holder but there are pokemon with abilities and moves to take your item...

Never understood the ban of Heal Pulse in singles?

What are the chances of oponent having Magic Coat or Magic Bounce?

and taking it chance of hitting?should it in future make the user heal itself in singles too but work like protect that it stops working at some point?

Last edited:
Never understood the ban of Heal Pulse in singles?

What are the chances of oponent having Magic Coat or Magic Bounce?

and taking it chance of hitting?should it in future make the user heal itself in singles too but work like protect that it stops working at some point?

The endless clause. A moveset of Heal Pulse, Wish and Recycle can cause endless battles when it's down to 1-to-1. (Unless, you know, the other Pokemon knows Explosion.)

That's kind of vague. If you're talking in-game, you won't see anyone (besides maybe Corsola and Aquaranid) with Magic Coat until the Battle Tree. And Magic Bounce, no mons in Gen VII pre-bank even get that besides Espeon, and even then that's a hidden ability.

Magic Coat activates 100% when it's used after being hit by a special attack. Same as Counter, only that's physical. Magic Bounce always works against moves like Leer, Taunt, and Stealth Rock.

Hi, I'm breeding a Larvitar in HG (4gen) but I'm not sure what is a "good" speed for him. I'm thinking grow with nature 'Jolly' (+ speed, - esp. attack) for what his have a good speed, instead of use 'Adamant' (+ attack, - esp. attack).
The base stats = (at lvl 100):

PS: 100 = 310
Attack: 134 + 252 ev + 31 iv* = 367
Defense: 110 = 225
Esp. attack: 95 - bonus nature = 175
Esp. defense: 100 + 6 ev = 205
Speed: 65 + 252 ev + bonus nature = 209

* In HG you can only know what is the maximum IV, not the others.

It's this speed, 209, a good speed for Tyranitar? Or maybe it's too much EV in speed, and i could improve another stats?

Thanks

Tyranitar isn't really known for his speed. Dragon Dance might be a thing, but typically most invest the rest of his EVs in HP and Def. (Also, I don't know if he learns that in HG/SS.) I guess decide if you want to run for bulk, or max him out in speed so he can counter some possible threats that threaten to otherwise OHKO him.

The endless clause. A moveset of Heal Pulse, Wish and Recycle can cause endless battles when it's down to 1-to-1. (Unless, you know, the other Pokemon knows Explosion.)

That's kind of vague. If you're talking in-game, you won't see anyone (besides maybe Corsola and Aquaranid) with Magic Coat until the Battle Tree. And Magic Bounce, no mons in Gen VII pre-bank even get that besides Espeon, and even then that's a hidden ability.

Magic Coat activates 100% when it's used after being hit by a special attack. Same as Counter, only that's physical. Magic Bounce always works against moves like Leer, Taunt, and Stealth Rock.

but why ban "one" move?
why not ban the "bad" combo itself?

Do you mean in the game coding itself or some outside banlist, like Smogon? Either way, it's easier to break the problematic combo by banning the one move and leaving the rest the way it is. I'm not sure how you could ban the "combo" anyway.

Do you mean in the game coding itself or some outside banlist, like Smogon? Either way, it's easier to break the problematic combo by banning the one move and leaving the rest the way it is. I'm not sure how you could ban the "combo" anyway.
smogon and tournaments though coding and a index it could be posibble.

@Matleo Because the only way to ban said combo is to disallow the move completely. Same reason why you can't use Sand Veil Garchomp in Gen V OU, or the Evasion Clause, where Double Team is banned, etc., etc..

This.

And referring to Smogon and such. They don't ban Heal Pulse in-game because no computer opponent comes with that weird set. It's not like Heal Pulse sets were even a thing - it's like in TCG like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic, they ban certain cards because people find ways to abuse combos or generally take it to a level that the game is not meant to be played.

So I started masuda method'ing the past couple weeks (I also have the Shiny Charm), and during my first only say two hours; I hatched a shiny Popplio and shiny Bulbasaur. I believe I used a British/English Venusaur with a Japanese parent, and then used a British/English Popplio with a Japanese Ditto.
I think I am just incredibly impatient, or just SUPER unlucky on my 3rd try getting a shiny Dewpider... I've filled almost 30 boxes in the past 5 days, the parent Dewpider is English/British and the other parent is a Japanese Swampert, I am JUST super unlucky right? Because Dewpider is my region, and the Swampert is definitely Japanese.

EDIT: Nevermind, I FINALLY got my cute lil shiny Dewpider :D

Last edited:
So I started masuda method'ing the past couple weeks (I also have the Shiny Charm), and during my first only say two hours; I hatched a shiny Popplio and shiny Bulbasaur. I believe I used a British/English Venusaur with a Japanese parent, and then used a British/English Popplio with a Japanese Ditto.
I think I am just incredibly impatient, or just SUPER unlucky on my 3rd try getting a shiny Dewpider... I've filled almost 30 boxes in the past 5 days, the parent Dewpider is English/British and the other parent is a Japanese Swampert, I am JUST super unlucky right? Because Dewpider is my region, and the Swampert is definitely Japanese.

EDIT: Nevermind, I FINALLY got my cute lil shiny Dewpider :D

That's great! Happy for ya, bro.

... but how is this a simple question/simple answer? o:

Thanks :D I tried my luck again the last 2 days with Treecko and after a few boxes, I got it!! and I know it's not really a simple question, but is there a separate thread for 'advanced questions'?

Oh, no you're fine. I must've misread your post because I didn't see anything in there that was a question.

But yeah, the Masuda method is breeding interracial mons to produce a shiny, right? Like an American Chansey and a Japanese Ditto? That increases the odds of shiny--probably as a nod to trainers that use wi-fi and interact across the world.

... or it could be a glitch. Probably a glitch.

Oh, no you're fine. I must've misread your post because I didn't see anything in there that was a question.

But yeah, the Masuda method is breeding interracial mons to produce a shiny, right? Like an American Chansey and a Japanese Ditto? That increases the odds of shiny--probably as a nod to trainers that use wi-fi and interact across the world.

... or it could be a glitch. Probably a glitch.

Ah ok. I was aware of the basics of it, but after 100s of eggs you still question whether you're doing it right xD haha, that's why I had to double check I wasn't missing something.

Hi, quick question. I just started another playthrough of Alpha Sapphire and I'm trying different things this time around (bar some of my preferred staples). I ended up accidentally obtaining a very powerful Lotad via the DexNav (Lv13, 2 star potential, Counter egg move, and all three of those traits managed to maul most of my team at the time, with the highest level in said team being Lv11), so I'm wondering if he'd be worth using. I've never used the Lotad line at all, as it never really interested me, but since I'm trying new things and such this time around, I was wondering if the Lotad line is any good. He's got a Calm nature, so Attack won't be a strong suit, with the Rain Dish ability, and the aforementioned bonuses, so he's packing some pretty decent power right now. If you think I should use him, then what moves would be good for him? Again, I know little about the Lotad line, as I've never really bothered with it before, but as I said I'm trying new things this time around, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lotad is one that I've always loved but never used on my final team. I've dropped a couple of Lombre in my time because they just weren't pulling weight, but I'm sure its usable. I've used worse Pokemon before, heck I used a Ledian in my most recent SS run. But Lotad's line is pretty versatile and more of a special attacker, definitely can take advantage of the Rain Dish in AS. I don't think it would be a bad idea to keep the little guy if you want to try him out.

Hello, I've got one question.
I decided to check about certain monsters that kinda look like Pokemon but are not Pokemon who would qualify as Pokemon but are made by Game Freak and are in Pokemon games. So, I am not talking about fakemon, but actual monsters created by GF but are not classified as Pokemon( I am excluding anime and manga creatures and excluding creatures that are not in final games).So, only core/side/spin-off etc Pokemon-related games and I found around 14-15 characters who could easily be Pokemon;
1. F-00( both forms)
2.Humanoid
3.Monster
4.Black /White Door
5.Majin
6.Transport
7.UFO
8.Old Statue
( all these can look like UBs; also maybe Brycen's battleship)
Then we have Alien girl( her and all above are PokeStar Studios related and they TBH kinda look like Pokemon)
And final three; Bittercold,Dark Rust and Dark Matter( they have their cries and IIRC one of them can change into certain type, but they're not Pokemon).

So my question is; are there any more creatures than these who are made by GF( or other company approved by GF) and put in final games( side/core/spin-off) that are not Pokemon but actually look like Pokemon and can be Pokemon by the looks/traits/cries/types?( and btw they must be unique/new designs and not previous Pokemon like Shadow Lugia,since it's a Lugia Gen 2 Pokemon). ( I just found about Void Shadows which can be Ghost-like Pokemon).Thanks in advance.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom