• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

What are the best HM users for early game in Heart Gold?

I’ve reached the point where I get rock smash and my team currently only had Quilava and Hoothoot.

Furret is a very good HM user. It can learn Cut, Rock Smash, Surf, and Strength. Raising up a Sentret is a bit of a pain, especially with the level curve issue, but once it evolves, it becomes a good HM user.

Furret is a very good HM user. It can learn Cut, Rock Smash, Surf, and Strength. Raising up a Sentret is a bit of a pain, especially with the level curve issue, but once it evolves, it becomes a good HM user.

Thanks! Furret is probably the one I'm using since I find its design more appealing compared to conventional HM users and the internet recommends geodude for Rock Smash, which I'm not a fan of.

Hey, I've got a quick question to ask. In regards to both Gens IV and V, if you had one Mon hold a Lucky Egg and another hold an EXP Share, would the Mon holding the EXP Share also gain extra EXP via the Lucky Egg holder? Or will it only gain half of the original amount? Just wanted to know, as both gens had some grinding issues, so I wanted to know if that match-up will make grinding easier or not. Thanks in advance.

(Pops in even though I haven't been active since like...2013. LOL.)

I have a question about the Ditto Glitch. I've been trying to use it to complete the Pokedex in Yellow (3DS virtual console), but for some reason it hasn't been working for Weedle. Weedle's index number is 112, so the corresponding special stat should've worked. However, I've tried both a Venusaur and a Blastoise with these stats and on both occasions their special was raised to 113 sometime between the battle with Ditto and the glitch encounter. So it gave me a Kakuna instead. At first I thought I didn't pay attention and used an extra calcium when I didn't need to, but when I tried with Blastoise I made sure it was 112. It still gave me Kakuna.

I've been using the PC save/move a strength boulder method to complete the glitch. Would that have anything to do with it? I haven't had this problem with any other Pokemon. I used the same method to catch Flareon and Jolteon with the same Blastoise at a lower level, for instance.

I apologize if I've overlooked it somewhere in the article. Help is much appreciated! ;)

Update: The glitch worked after I beat the league, when I used a Charizard that hit 112 special naturally. But I swear I'm not making this up. The same thing happened twice with two different Pokemon. Unless my eyes were tricking me, that Blastoise was at 112. I don't know what happened.

Last edited:
Got a quick question regarding a certain Mon, though I'm not 100% sure if I'm in the right thread. I received a Growlithe via WT. It was obviously a breed-ject, as it's nature wasn't great and it had 4 perfect IVs, but it did have Close Combat as an Egg Move. Since the news is talking about a massive snowstorm, I was thinking of restarting my spare UltraSun copy (I've already harvested most everything of use out of it) to play alongside my AS run, as I might be fairly "grounded" if this storm is as bad as they say. So, my question is regarding this Growlithe. Should I use it for a beforehand breeding project as a Fire-type of choice for that run? And if so, what would be considered "ideal" for its moves, nature, and so on? Note that I'm not quite looking for a meta-style Mon, but since it's been AGES since I've raised a Growlithe, I wasn't sure what would be considered "ideal" for it anymore, as things have changed quite a bit since the last time I used one. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

What does the "skip movies" option do? I restarted my game and enabled it to catch back up more quickly, but pressing the + and - buttons during cutscenes doesn't do anything.

Got a quick question regarding a certain Mon, though I'm not 100% sure if I'm in the right thread. I received a Growlithe via WT. It was obviously a breed-ject, as it's nature wasn't great and it had 4 perfect IVs, but it did have Close Combat as an Egg Move. Since the news is talking about a massive snowstorm, I was thinking of restarting my spare UltraSun copy (I've already harvested most everything of use out of it) to play alongside my AS run, as I might be fairly "grounded" if this storm is as bad as they say. So, my question is regarding this Growlithe. Should I use it for a beforehand breeding project as a Fire-type of choice for that run? And if so, what would be considered "ideal" for its moves, nature, and so on? Note that I'm not quite looking for a meta-style Mon, but since it's been AGES since I've raised a Growlithe, I wasn't sure what would be considered "ideal" for it anymore, as things have changed quite a bit since the last time I used one. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

What nature and ability are we looking at? Growlithe/Arcanine don't have a deep movepool by any means, but there's enough there to work with that you don't have to run mixed. A Sunny Day + Solar Beam set might be fun to use, especially if paired with Flash Fire to nuke everything under the sun (pun intended).

If you end up with a -Atk or +SpA nature, then I might try a set like:
Sunny Day
Solar Beam
Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Heat Wave/Special fire STAB of choice
Snarl/Hidden Power/Flame Charge (for speed boosts)

On the other hand, even though Arcanine has more powerful physical moves, a higher Attack stat, and potentially Justified to get a free boost, his most powerful physical moves are Flare Blitz and Wild Charge (though Extreme speed is never a bad option), and everything else is rather lacking in power. If you got Intimidate, you could consider a bulkier build with Will-o-Wisp to completely neuter physical threats and Roar to spread status around.

Close Combat is a great move for a cleaner/revenge killer Arcanine, which is what I'm guessing whoever bred that Growlithe was going for, but it's main use is for hitting rock-types and opposing fire-types, since fire covers everything else CC hits super-effectively, and either solar beam or wild charge can hit waters even harder.

According to PokemonGoHub, you can get a Thunderstone in Dream Park, Akala Island.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Does anyone know where "Electric" and "Summit" (Charjabug and Crabrawler's specific location to evolve) is located? As in, which island those are located?

You can go to Vast Poni Canyon in S/M and in US/UM you go to Blush Mountain on Ula Ula.

What does the "skip movies" option do? I restarted my game and enabled it to catch back up more quickly, but pressing the + and - buttons during cutscenes doesn't do anything.

The only cutscenes that appear in this game are the Legendary Pokémon ones (i.e. the brief cinematic before battling Articuno). You can skip that using + or -.

The only cutscenes that appear in this game are the Legendary Pokémon ones (i.e. the brief cinematic before battling Articuno). You can skip that using + or -.
Also the "I've just entered the Pokemon world", "sayonara, S.S. Anne", Marowak and Champion scenes, off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Some questions about Ultra Sun & Moon.

Any reliable grinding methods? Other sources either mention post game stuff or grinding on Audino which I prefer not to because I also have to take into account EVs.

How much does the Ultra versions lag compared to the original SM?

What are the overall improvements? I know wild Pokémon will only SOS once unless the player's Pokémon hold an Adrenaline Orb and there's a way to get non-Alolan evolved forms.

Some questions about Ultra Sun & Moon.

Any reliable grinding methods? Other sources either mention post game stuff or grinding on Audino which I prefer not to because I also have to take into account EVs.

I don't know that there is a reliable way to grind without taking EVs into account. That said, an EV-enhancing item + Pokerus + SOS chain yields a minimum of 36 EVs per kill, so you only need a 7 chain to max EVs in any one stat. Having done that, you're free to EXP-grind as you wish. I used the Elite Four for grinding, but pick your flavor, I suppose. And since BP can now be earned as "beach points" with Mantine Surf, you can obtain the EV-boosting items from the Battle Royale dome right away.

How much does the Ultra versions lag compared to the original SM?

I'm not sure what you mean by "lag", but I didn't really notice any more performance issues (though I did use the new 3DS XL for both)

What are the overall improvements? I know wild Pokémon will only SOS once unless the player's Pokémon hold an Adrenaline Orb and there's a way to get non-Alolan evolved forms.

A hugely expanded regional Pokedex (400 vs 300) was a big plus for me, as well as the ability to get some 'mons not found in Alola via the Ultra Wormhole minigame. Mantine surf as a way to get BP is also a very nice feature, meaning you get access to move tutors throughout the game, instead of having to wait until post-game.

Thanks, but that's not what I meant about the grinding. I'm looking for ways to grind during the main game like the Battle Chateau from XY or the PokeNav from RSE and the remakes.

Thanks, but that's not what I meant about the grinding. I'm looking for ways to grind during the main game like the Battle Chateau from XY or the PokeNav from RSE and the remakes.

No, sorry, but there are no main game features that provide such things. There are no trainer rematches of any kind, and any battle facility is mostly BP related stuff, like Battle Royal and the like. While Poke Palago has the training island (which you need to build), it's mostly EV related (though one of the "drinks" does act like a Rare Candy in a sense, as it boosts levels, though I'm not 100% sure). So, in short, there are no reliable ways or grinding outside of wild-based battles.

Hmm, okay then. I don't know of a good way to grind for EXP pre-E4 since I never really had to do such a thing, and I'm not aware of any trainers that can be rematched (which is admittedly one feature I miss from previous games). As far as I'm aware, the best you can hope for is to find a wild 'mon with high base EXP yield and SOS chain it a bunch. The part about EV-training still stands, however. You can Mantine Surf for enough BP to get an EV-boosting item from the Battle Royale dome, and even without Pokerus, you can max out EVs in a single stat with a chain of just 14. And you probably already knew this, but a single rainbow bean from Pokepelago is enough to increase affection to 3 hearts, which is enough to grant further bonus EXP.

I just finished a playthrough on Pearl and I am trying to collect all of the Secret Base items. As such, I need a lot of high level spheres. Most of the online guides are helpful, but I would like a little personal insight as well. So, a couple questions...

1. I found an equation that says how fast Spheres grow, but I am not a Rocket Scientist ;) and do not understand what it means, so...in simple terms
--Is it more efficient to bury a bunch of Spheres and let them grow? Or combine the gems and let them grow?
--Does anyone have a guess on how long a Sphere would take to grow from Lv 20ish to Lv90ish?

2. Can I manipulate the clock in Pearl without resetting the time (like SM Poké Pelago?), so just drop the Spheres, change the time, and presto/whammo, high level spheres?

3. I have a big Sphere garden under Celestic Town, but I also buried some Sphere early in the game and forget where. Is there a way to find them easily without exhaustive hours of searching?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom