• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

What was the last generation where it was physically possible to obtain every Pokemon up to and including that gen's mons (all 151 in R/B/G/Y, 251 in G/S/C, etc.) on one main-game save file?
I'm curious because I've been playing Red and Blue on a desktop emulator for a while and have managed to get three save files in each so that with (a lot of) trading I'd be able to get a full Dex in both. I haven't been able to get the link feature in the emulator to work, but it's all set up in case I ever do. (The only glitch I've used is the Mew glitch, because obviously there aren't any events or Stadium games from which it can be obtained with an emulator.)
I'm also mulling over whether it's worth it to try for a full Dex in G/S, or even completing the Kanto dex in FR/LG. I imagine those would take a long, long, long time, even just compared to the first-gen games.

Pretty sure this is never possible. Even in games where you could get another starter, there was no opportunity to get the opposing cover legendary.

What was the last generation where it was physically possible to obtain every Pokemon up to and including that gen's mons (all 151 in R/B/G/Y, 251 in G/S/C, etc.) on one main-game save file?
I'm curious because I've been playing Red and Blue on a desktop emulator for a while and have managed to get three save files in each so that with (a lot of) trading I'd be able to get a full Dex in both. I haven't been able to get the link feature in the emulator to work, but it's all set up in case I ever do. (The only glitch I've used is the Mew glitch, because obviously there aren't any events or Stadium games from which it can be obtained with an emulator.)
I'm also mulling over whether it's worth it to try for a full Dex in G/S, or even completing the Kanto dex in FR/LG. I imagine those would take a long, long, long time, even just compared to the first-gen games.
The closest thing to that would have been the spin-off Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team, since you could use passwords (not cheats) to make the version-exclusive Pokémon to show up in your game.

Pretty sure this is never possible. Even in games where you could get another starter, there was no opportunity to get the opposing cover legendary.

Is it not possible to trade Lugia/Ho-Oh, Groudon/Kyogre, etc. ? I ask because I've never played any gen's main games through to the end beyond Gen1, and nothing beyond Gen3, period.

Is it not possible to trade Lugia/Ho-Oh, Groudon/Kyogre, etc. ? I ask because I've never played any gen's main games through to the end beyond Gen1, and nothing beyond Gen3, period.
It is, I just thought that you only wanted it on one file? If we factor in trading, it's possible in any game.

It is, I just thought that you only wanted it on one file? If we factor in trading, it's possible in any game.
Yeah, like I said though I'm using an emulator and not a handheld/console, so with a working link function the version exclusives and "choice" pokemon etc. are not a problem.
I'm talking about just the sheer number of species up to that point in the game series.
Obviously getting all 151 from Gen1 is possible, been done by tons of players. Gen2 (251) as well. And Gen3 (386). Beyond that though?

Yeah, like I said though I'm using an emulator and not a handheld/console, so with a working link function the version exclusives and "choice" pokemon etc. are not a problem.
I'm talking about just the sheer number of species up to that point in the game series.
Obviously getting all 151 from Gen1 is possible, been done by tons of players. Gen2 (251) as well. And Gen3 (386). Beyond that though?
Well, I don't think it's possible in Gen IV onwards because you're using emulation and, as far as I know, no DS emulator supports multiplayer. Same with Citra and 3DS games.

If you're talking about if they fit in the games, then you don't have to worry. You get enough boxes have one of each species and still have extra space.

Well, I don't think it's possible in Gen IV onwards because you're using emulation and, as far as I know, no DS emulator supports multiplayer. Same with Citra and 3DS games.

That's what I was looking for–thanks progrocker. Looks like Gold and Silver will be my next challenge, then completing the Kanto Dex in FR/LG.

That's what I was looking for–thanks progrocker. Looks like Gold and Silver will be my next challenge, then completing the Kanto Dex in FR/LG.
If you want to try, you could use the sav file from one version to catch the Pokémon from the other version, since internally both versions are the same game.

To put an example: You have Sun and you want an Oranguru. You get Sun's sav file, put it in Moon's folder, and you can catch Oranguru normally with no problems!

If you want to try, you could use the sav file from one version to catch the Pokémon from the other version, since internally both versions are the same game.

To put an example: You have Sun and you want an Oranguru. You get Sun's sav file, put it in Moon's folder, and you can catch Oranguru normally with no problems!

Ooh, I never thought of that! I'll try that with VBA-M (my emu of choice).

Trying to catch the beasts in Crystal. Spider web seems to stop working after I switch Ariados out. Does happen and if it does then is mean look the same?

What exactly are AVs in Pokémon Let’s Go! Eevee/Pikachu, what does it mean for a Pokémon to have “Max AVs”, is there a maximum number of AVs a Pokémon can have for certain stats and how do you increase and decrease the number of AVs a Pokémon has for each stat? I have have actually been trying to make a Pokémon Let’s Go! Eevee team on Pokémon Showdown but AVs seem to be a bit more confusing than EVs. I also want to try to eventually use this same team in a local Pokémon battle using the same battle format on my Nintendo Switch and maybe online using the Nintendo Switch Online service.

What exactly are AVs in Pokémon Let’s Go! Eevee/Pikachu, what does it mean for a Pokémon to have “Max AVs”, is there a maximum number of AVs a Pokémon can have for certain stats and how do you increase and decrease the number of AVs a Pokémon has for each stat? I have have actually been trying to make a Pokémon Let’s Go! Eevee team on Pokémon Showdown but AVs seem to be a bit more confusing than EVs. I also want to try to eventually use this same team in a local Pokémon battle using the same battle format on my Nintendo Switch and maybe online using the Nintendo Switch Online service.

Bulbapedia has a guide:https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Awakening_values

I think the maximum is 200 AVs in every stat, and they are increased using candies or leveling up.

I enter in to the lottery every day (heartgold/soulsilver) i have all the in-game trades and the spearow and shuckle who are given to me by ppl as well as a few friends who play the gen 4 games, but im always given fourth prize or maybe third every now and again.. has anyone here actually won the top prize with a full match?

I enter in to the lottery every day (heartgold/soulsilver) i have all the in-game trades and the spearow and shuckle who are given to me by ppl as well as a few friends who play the gen 4 games, but im always given fourth prize or maybe third every now and again.. has anyone here actually won the top prize with a full match?
Well, I once got second prize, but never the Master Ball.

i did wonder, when Janine and Falkner are arguing about whos dad is better trainer (ive never met falkners dad, but i just told him what he wants to hear as he probs won't give me his number if i dont) who is falkners dad anyway?

i did wonder, when Janine and Falkner are arguing about whos dad is better trainer (ive never met falkners dad, but i just told him what he wants to hear as he probs won't give me his number if i dont) who is falkners dad anyway?
No one knows. According to Bulbapedia, he's traveling, but from the wording they use in the games it makes it sound like he is dead. If somebody can tell me where do they say he's still alive, I will appreciate that.

EDIT: I forgot that in his fight with Janine he talks about him in the present tense, which means that at least he is alive.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom