• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions and Simple Answers

If you breed a Ditto with a Power Item, then what will happen?

Bulbapedia Article: EV-Enhancing Items said:
EV-enhancing items are items which enhance the EVs gained when a Pokémon is defeated. All of them halve the Speed of the Pokémon holding them in battle while they are being held.

These items' effects are doubled by the effect of Pokérus. For example, if a Chikorita with Pokérus that holds a Power Lens defeats a Haunter, that Chikorita would gain 12 EV points in Special Attack. Two would be from defeating the Haunter, four would come from the Power Lens, and the remaining six would be from the Pokérus's doubling effect. However, a Pokémon holding the Exp. Share will not gain any of these boosts, and unless already infected with Pokérus, will only receive the base EV yield of the defeated Pokémon.

In Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver onward, if they are held by either parent in the Pokémon Day Care, that parent passes down its IV in that respective stat; HP for Power Weight, Attack for Power Bracer, and so on.

In short, depending on which specific power item it's holding, the corresponding IV of the parent will be passed down to the offspring.

about IVs...I dont understand why certain calculators say 'OK' if 31 is the intended value. an example i have had is a Ditto (naughty) that resulted in a Sp.Def value of "0" but that was "OK"?!?! how is this possible? I dont understand the part that reads +Lv and +EPs. And I dont understand why there is a spread if IVs dont change. Can someone please clear this jumbled mess up in my brain?!?

and just reading over the question above ^^^ If you had the Female and Male holding EV enhancing items with IVs of 31 in their respective places (lets say Def and Sp.Def)...would it be possible to have the strongest possible defensive type of the Pokemon you were breeding?

about IVs...I dont understand why certain calculators say 'OK' if 31 is the intended value. an example i have had is a Ditto (naughty) that resulted in a Sp.Def value of "0" but that was "OK"?!?! how is this possible? I dont understand the part that reads +Lv and +EPs. And I dont understand why there is a spread if IVs dont change. Can someone please clear this jumbled mess up in my brain?!?

Could you link me to said calculator so i can get a better picture as to what you're describing?

and just reading over the question above ^^^ If you had the Female and Male holding EV enhancing items with IVs of 31 in their respective places (lets say Def and Sp.Def)...would it be possible to have the strongest possible defensive type of the Pokemon you were breeding?

I thought it meant that both parents would pass down their corresponding power-item IVs to the offspring, but it seems what it means (if both hold a power-item) that only one gets forcibly passed down switching between the two at random. Though sometimes during the game's calculations of what random IVs are made and what other 2 IVs of the parents get passed, you get offspring who (mainly by luck if you will) inherit both IVs the parents just so happen to have held a power-item for.

Catching Caterpie in Platinum

Okay, so both my Platinum guide and Bulbapedia say Caterpie can be caught on route 204 in Pokemon Platinum when you insert a FireRed cartridge in the DS.

So, I did that, because I'd like to bring a Caterpie to my Black version. I chose to bring it over from Platinum because I already have a few other Pokemon waiting to be brought from there to Black as well and am currently in the process of breeding a Charmander to top off the batch of six.

For some reason, though, I'm not finding any Caterpie. I have two copies of FireRed (because my mom bought me an extra thinking I didn't have it) and I've tried using both, but not a single Caterpie has shown up. I've tried for awhile too. I doubt my Platinum version is glitched, as I've never had any problems with it before, and there's little chance that BOTH of my FireRed copies are bugged and have the same bug, so why can't I find any Caterpie?

All I can think of is that the information in my guide and Bulbapedia is actually inaccurate and Caterpie can't in fact be found in Platinum this way.

EDIT: How is this a simple question?

Last edited:

Okay, so both my Platinum guide and Bulbapedia say Caterpie can be caught on route 204 in Pokemon Platinum when you insert a FireRed cartridge in the DS.

So, I did that, because I'd like to bring a Caterpie to my Black version. I chose to bring it over from Platinum because I already have a few other Pokemon waiting to be brought from there to Black as well and am currently in the process of breeding a Charmander to top off the batch of six.

For some reason, though, I'm not finding any Caterpie. I have two copies of FireRed (because my mom bought me an extra thinking I didn't have it) and I've tried using both, but not a single Caterpie has shown up. I've tried for awhile too. I doubt my Platinum version is glitched, as I've never had any problems with it before, and there's little chance that BOTH of my FireRed copies are bugged and have the same bug, so why can't I find any Caterpie?

All I can think of is that the information in my guide and Bulbapedia is actually inaccurate and Caterpie can't in fact be found in Platinum this way.

Have you gotten access to Pal Park yet? As stated a few posts ago, it won't work without it.

If you have it on another game(Pearl, Diamond/other Platinum), but not Platinum, I'd recommend just trading it from the other game to Platinum.

Yes, I have. I know, because I have Pokemon on my game that I've transferred from FireRed.

EDIT: Zeb: I disagree. But whatever.

Re: Catching Caterpie in Platinum

I have personally tested this out with my own FR and Pt games and i found a Caterpie on route 204. As Zeb said, they have a appearance rate of only 8% so odds are you are just unlucky.

EDIT: just to note for future readers, you're supposed to put the GBA cart in the dual slot BEFORE you start the DS up.

Last edited:
Re: Catching Caterpie in Platinum

I have personally testing this out with my own FR and Pt games and i found a Caterpie on route 204. As Zeb said, they have a appearance rate of only 8% so odds are you are just unlucky.

Fine, I'll just keep looking. I didn't think they were that rare. Probably because the last time I went looking for Pokemon that only appear if you have a certain game cartridge inserted, they showed up quickly.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Where can you get Pansear and Pansage?

Rustling grass in Pinwheel Forest (inner) and Lostlorn Forest. Pansage as gift at Dreamyard (if starter Pokémon was Tepig) and Pansear as gift at Dreamyard (if starter Pokémon was Oshawott).

Guardian Signs Wi-Fi Events?

I was only recently able to get Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs but when I go to the Ranger Net the only downloadable missions involve non-transferrable Arceus and Giritina.

Are all of the events that have Pokemon that can be transferred to Gen IV seriously gone?

They would have been the only way for me to get Manaphy and Deoxys T.T

You have to trade the roaming legend exclusive to the game that is the opposite version, If you are playing Black, you need to trade over Thunderus and it will unlock Landorus, if you have White version, you need to trade Tornadus over.

Can you transfer pokemon from firered to pokemon soulsilver.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom