• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

Also another question when it comes to IV/EV training which is easier as i have a well balanced ditto and is it better to start training once they hatch oooor when higher leveled? say like charizard and his final evolution for example

Well, as long as you get the same overall amount of EVs, it doesn't matter what level you get them. For example, a Lv. 50 Charizard who got 100 attack EVs when they were a Lv. 1 Charmander would have no EV advantage over a Lv. 50 Charizard that just trained up 100 EVs a couple of levels prior.

That being said, since gaining experience by battling other Pokémon always results in the Pokémon getting EVs (even through Exp. Share), it's usually easier to start training earlier in order to keep track of which EVs your Pokémon has accrued.

If you want to go more in-depth about how EVs work, I'd suggest checking out the Bulbapedia page on them.

Awesome, thanks ^_^ yeah i figure i would work on my Emboar which is 62 atm and i tried using the wings since there was no restriction on them and i couldn't use them but the capsules work like the carbos and iron and zinc.. but i shall look it up further in depth and thanks again

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Hi, I've just joined these forums because something really weird has just happened on my friends Black 2 Game. He hadn't got any event pokemon before and had only just connected his 3ds to his wifi for the first time. He then went onto the mystery gift and selected receive from nintendo wfc. First he got a lv70 Meloetta, then a lv70 Genesect, then 2 Keldeos, (one shiny). Sometimes it gave him nothing and sometimes he got another pokemon. He eventually got Victini, Jirachi, Celebi and Mew. We had no idea what was going on. I'm assuming this wasn't supposed to happen. Has this ever happened before and do you know why/how this happened?

Hi, I've just joined these forums because something really weird has just happened on my friends Black 2 Game. He hadn't got any event pokemon before and had only just connected his 3ds to his wifi for the first time. He then went onto the mystery gift and selected receive from nintendo wfc. First he got a lv70 Meloetta, then a lv70 Genesect, then 2 Keldeos, (one shiny). Sometimes it gave him nothing and sometimes he got another pokemon. He eventually got Victini, Jirachi, Celebi and Mew. We had no idea what was going on. I'm assuming this wasn't supposed to happen. Has this ever happened before and do you know why/how this happened?

That's weird, first time i've heard about that.. i recently got black myself oh about almost a month ago when they were doing the Deoxys mystery gift thing... and I've even tried doing the different ones like wifi or nintendo wifi in mystery gift and comes up with nothing... so maybe your friend got a lucky Black 2 Cartridge?

Yeah, we were so confused. Also each pokemon had my friends name as the OT instead of what it should say. I tried to do it on my ds but no luck.

IV questions

I do read the guides on IVs but I haven't found one that shows examples (like screenshots). So they still don't make sense to me. I've mastered EV training easy and want to try IVs now so I have a few questions...

The guides state that a "single" 31 IV in a stat is the best. I used an IV calculator and results come up like this, for example:

Stat 1: 31, 29, 28
Stat 2: 28, ..., 1
Stat 3: 16, 14, 13, 11, ..., 1
Stat 4: 31, ..., 1

etc.

So basically, if you don't get a single number 31 in a stat (just 31 by itself) then it's not as good as it could be? What's with all the other number combos? WHat about a 31 right through to a 1? Or 28 through to a 1? Or 31 to 1 but with random numbers missing in between?

:dead:

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read the intro thread. This might belong in the simple questions thread?

Re: IV questions

lets for example take atk and see how its calculated:

lets say we have a pokémon of a base atk of 50, u trained it so it has 255 EV points in atk and it has an atk IV of 20. and an unrelated nature (cuz im lazy) To get its actual atk we need to do the following:

multiply the 50 by 2, add the bonus from EV's and add the bonus from IV's, if we have a nature that is either beneficial or hindering our stat we need to multiply the entire thing by 1.1 or 0.9
so we take all our EV points divide those by 4 and add that up: 255/4 = 63 bonus atk + 2* 50 + 20 from IV's = 183 atack
this will be its atack stat at lvl 100.

now what ur guide is most likely talking about here is calculating the IV's from the game's stats. in order to do so precicely it needs a high lvl pokemon, because the lower the pokemon gets the less obvious its bonuses, so instead of giving u the precise IV's it gives u a possible range of what it could be, and that range decreases in size the higher the pokemon is of which u are trying to get the IV's from.
so if it is not at all clear yet what an IV is it wil say to u: the IV is in between 31 and 0, and if it could only be 31 it tells you the IV is 31.

IV calcs at low lvl show a huge range. The best way to assess an egg is the pokemon checker in the battle subway.

lets for example take atk and see how its calculated:

lets say we have a pokémon of a base atk of 50, u trained it so it has 255 EV points in atk and it has an atk IV of 20. and an unrelated nature (cuz im lazy) To get its actual atk we need to do the following:

multiply the 50 by 2, add the bonus from EV's and add the bonus from IV's, if we have a nature that is either beneficial or hindering our stat we need to multiply the entire thing by 1.1 or 0.9
so we take all our EV points divide those by 4 and add that up: 255/4 = 63 bonus atk + 2* 50 + 20 from IV's = 183 atack
this will be its atack stat at lvl 100.

now what ur guide is most likely talking about here is calculating the IV's from the game's stats. in order to do so precicely it needs a high lvl pokemon, because the lower the pokemon gets the less obvious its bonuses, so instead of giving u the precise IV's it gives u a possible range of what it could be, and that range decreases in size the higher the pokemon is of which u are trying to get the IV's from.
so if it is not at all clear yet what an IV is it wil say to u: the IV is in between 31 and 0, and if it could only be 31 it tells you the IV is 31.

It all makes sense now. So basically, IVs are a bonus on top of EVs/Nature and they equate to 1 stat point.

And yeah all the Pokemon that I try the calculator are level 1 egg bred. But I don't have a spare 99 rare candies lying around to test what the proper IVs are. Not even one. There are only like 15 or less rare candies all up in the whole game, and the odd one from Pickup.

I have an egg bred Pokemon with 31 in Defense (the Battle Subway guy confirmed this). It's good to have but not what I am after (Speed and Attack). Since it has the nature I want can I put Everstone on it and swap it with the one in the Daycare to try pass down the Defense IV but also be eligible to get another high IV in a different stat like Attack/Speed? The Ditto with it is just a regular one, not "perfect". Thanks for the help.

i forgot to mention there are some tiny details for the calculation of ones stats but the general idea of it stays the same, if u wish to know them i recommend going to the stats page of bulbapedia.

As for your breeding question: there is an excellent 4 part article on smogon that details everything up to diamond and pearl about breeding (just google: smogon breeding guide). There are some things outdated but these are easily found on bulbapedia's breeding page.

I'll summarize the part that is probably most useful for you right now: the child gains the nature of the everstone holder (50% in BW, 100% in BW2) and randomly 3 IV's of the parents. So this means the child has 3 randomly generated IV's and 3 randomly picked out of the 12 IV's from the parents. It is also worth mentioning that since gen4 u are able to choose one of those 3 randomly picked stats trough giving a parent an EV item eg. power bracer, weight, belt etc.

Last edited:

i forgot to mention there are some tiny details for the calculation of ones stats but the general idea of it stays the same, if u wish to know them i recommend going to the stats page of bulbapedia.

As for your breeding question: there is an excellent 4 part article on smogon that details everything up to diamond and pearl about breeding (just google: smogon breeding guide). There are some things outdated but these are easily found on bulbapedia's breeding page.

I'll summarize the part that is probably most useful for you right now: the child gains the nature of the everstone holder (50% in BW, 100% in BW2) and randomly 3 IV's of the parents. So this means the child has 3 randomly generated IV's and 3 randomly picked out of the 12 IV's from the parents. It is also worth mentioning that since gen4 u are able to choose one of those 3 randomly picked stats trough giving a parent an EV item eg. power bracer, weight, belt etc.

Okay thanks. I decided to not bother breeding IVs for the timebeing. It is probably better to find a good Ditto first. The end Pokemon ended being rated above average with fantastic speed, so that was enough.

Should i buy black or white if i already have black 2?
I say it's up to you. Black/White has a better storyline and less Pokemon selection due to having a smaller Regional Dex. I think it's worth a play through myself.

Last edited:

Ok sooo since i can only have one game card of the same game... does that mean i have to make a whole new pokemon gl account??? since i started Pokemon Black over, seeing how as i cant edit or delete it on my account?

Ok sooo since i can only have one game card of the same game... does that mean i have to make a whole new pokemon gl account??? since i started Pokemon Black over, seeing how as i cant edit or delete it on my account?

You might have to, but before you do that, try contacting the staff and seeing if they can remove the game from you account for you. If you explain the situation to them, I think they'll be able to take care of things for you.

You might have to, but before you do that, try contacting the staff and seeing if they can remove the game from you account for you. If you explain the situation to them, I think they'll be able to take care of things for you.

Thanks i will write them and see, hope they can, its how i get most of my berries lol ^_^

Pokemon Black and White Jirachi Wi-Fi Event in North America?

Okay, I know that in Japan next month they are giving away Jirachi to owners of the generation 5 Pokemon games because of an episode opf the anime. But will this release occur in North America when the episode is played here?

Question about breeding moves:

I'm trying to get Nasty Plot and Leaf Storm on to a Pansage. I got Leaf Storm on it from Serperior. Then when I bred that with a male Persian I expected it to learn Nasty Plot as well, which it did but now Leaf Storm is gone. Is it not possible to get both moves on it?

Question about breeding moves:

I'm trying to get Nasty Plot and Leaf Storm on to a Pansage. I got Leaf Storm on it from Serperior. Then when I bred that with a male Persian I expected it to learn Nasty Plot as well, which it did but now Leaf Storm is gone. Is it not possible to get both moves on it?

Pansage is in the Field egg group, therefor yes it's able to have both moves through breeding. Just get yourself a male Smeargle, get into a double battle using the pokemon with the moves you wish to sketch, sketch* them, them use the male Smeargle to breed with a female Pansage/Simisage. It makes things super simple in the long run when trying to figure out breeding chains.

*note: once you sketch a move, Smeargle forgets Sketch permanently. Go to the move relearner to get Sketch back to get the other moves you want to sketch. Or just level it up as it learns Sketch every 10 levels.

Pokemon Bluesea?

Is pokemon Blue Sea an actual pokemon game or not?
image.jpg
(I found this on my shelf, I kind of remember playing this years ago)
The starters were different, and the only starter on it I remember is spheal? (mainly because everytime I restarted the game I always chose spheal)

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom