• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

Got a question about the stone emplorium. Right now I have enough fame or style or whatever it's called in this game to buy mega stones for 300,000. I have the option to buy at the counter a water, fire, leaf and thunder stone. Is this all the stones they sell or will improving my style gain me more stones. I need a couple of moon stones for evolutions and a couple of others as well that I just can't think of off the top of my head.

Dom
Improving your style will reduce the price of the Mega Stones, however it does not increase the number of evolution stones you can buy. Other stones you can get through Secret Super Training.

How do you battle/trade someone on your favourites list?

Is there anyway to tell if a pokemon you see on GTS or get through Wondertrade is cloned or not? I beat the elite four and am trying to start working on my final team but am worried about previous gens problems with hacked/cloned/issue pokemon from other players not being legit. Since filling up my dex will require trading I am trying to avoid cloned pokemon.

Is there anyway to tell if a pokemon you see on GTS or get through Wondertrade is cloned or not? I beat the elite four and am trying to start working on my final team but am worried about previous gens problems with hacked/cloned/issue pokemon from other players not being legit. Since filling up my dex will require trading I am trying to avoid cloned pokemon.

I don't see why you would dislike clones. Unlike actual hacks they are completely identical to the 'original'. In fact, technically, all clones this gen ARE the originals.

But any way, NO, there is no way to check if a pokemon is cloned because they are IDENTICAL TO THE ORIGINAL AND IN NO WAY ANY DIFFERENT SO NOBODY SHOULD CARE.
I know it sounds a bit strong but I just want to make that point clear.

There's no way to tell Im afraid since a clone is an exact copy of the original Pokemon it was cloned from.

Re: EV berries pokemon X

This should be in Simple Questions...

But you can get them from the balloon attraction on the PGL. I'm not sure about in-game locations but believe me, the balloon game will give you a LOT of them.

Re: EV berries pokemon X

where do i get berries that reduce EV base? ty
You can also get them by planting certain berries next to each other and they might hybridize and grow one of them(Surprise Mulch increases this chance) then just plant the EV berry to grow more.

The berries you need to plant next to each other are:
Oran X Pecha = Qualot
Aspear x Leppa =Hondew
Iapapa x Mago= Pomeg
Aguav x Figy=Grepa
Chesto x Persim=Kelpsy
Lum x Sitrus= Tomato

There's no way to tell a clone and an original apart (they are exactly the same, which is kind of implied by the word "clone" itself), and clones do not cause any harmful effects anyway. Hacked Pokémon could probably cause problems if done incorrectly, but as of now the people capable of hacking anything in Gen VI are still probably countable by one's two hands, and the badly done hacks shouldn't be accepted by either any generation's GTS nor Pokémon Bank.

E: Wow, was I writing this that long to be ninja'd by 8 minutes...?

I don't see why you would dislike clones. Unlike actual hacks they are completely identical to the 'original'. In fact, technically, all clones this gen ARE the originals.

But any way, NO, there is no way to check if a pokemon is cloned because they are IDENTICAL TO THE ORIGINAL AND IN NO WAY ANY DIFFERENT SO NOBODY SHOULD CARE.
I know it sounds a bit strong but I just want to make that point clear.

Everyone has different ways of playing the game. While you may not mind them I do, so I don't want them in my game. Right now with pokemon bank only out in Asian countries and the game still very new we have no way of knowing if there will be any long term effects of cloned pokemon in a game. If pokemon bank will reject these pokemon. Or if down the line Ninentdo will find a way to detect cloned pokemon and reject them and the owner from various services later on.

That is why I don't want to be duped into taking a cloned pokemon trade. People should be able to respect that and keep their cloned pokemon in their own games if they choose to accept the risk that one day Nintendo could find and reject them from various aspects of the game like other hacked pokemon have been in the past. So thank you for your opinion on if I should care about clones or not.

As to the others thank you for the answers. That is disappointing that there isn't a way to tell. I hope that cloning is either patched or a way to tell comes up but I guess until then we just have to be careful in trading and cross our fingers in Wondertrading.

That's the same wishful thinking every other user against cloning has had in the past. No one can't and probably shouldn't force you to change your view on the matter, but the fact still stands that you simply can't differentiate two packages of 200-something bytes that are identical down to the slightest bit.

Alright, so I have a question concerning Friend Codes:
Okay, so recently I've added some people as my friends for the Friend Safari, and I was curious about something...
I have both X and Y, but I was playing Y when I added my friends and stuff. Now...if I put X in, would those guys get a different friend safari? Or would it be the same as my Y game?
Sorry if this is confusing, I'm new to this stuff and was just curious. :)

Okay, so recently I've added some people as my friends for the Friend Safari, and I was curious about something...
I have both X and Y, but I was playing Y when I added my friends and stuff. Now...if I put X in, would those guys get a different friend safari? Or would it be the same as my Y game?
Friend Safari are based on the Friend Code and not the game itself so your Friend Safari will be the same for your friends if you play X or Y.

Friend Safari are based on the Friend Code and not the game itself so your Friend Safari will be the same for your friends if you play X or Y.
Oh man, I feel so bad for my friends. D: xDD Alright, thanks for the answer, Norzan! :3 That's pretty disappointing, but oh well. xD.

Everyone has different ways of playing the game. While you may not mind them I do, so I don't want them in my game. Right now with pokemon bank only out in Asian countries and the game still very new we have no way of knowing if there will be any long term effects of cloned pokemon in a game. If pokemon bank will reject these pokemon. Or if down the line Ninentdo will find a way to detect cloned pokemon and reject them and the owner from various services later on.

That is why I don't want to be duped into taking a cloned pokemon trade. People should be able to respect that and keep their cloned pokemon in their own games if they choose to accept the risk that one day Nintendo could find and reject them from various aspects of the game like other hacked pokemon have been in the past. So thank you for your opinion on if I should care about clones or not.

As to the others thank you for the answers. That is disappointing that there isn't a way to tell. I hope that cloning is either patched or a way to tell comes up but I guess until then we just have to be careful in trading and cross our fingers in Wondertrading.

I really don't think you understand what exactly cloning is if you are so determined that there will be some kind of magical patch to say if two pieces of data identical in every single way can suddenly be differentiated. I understand you may not like the idea of unscrupulous methods being used, but again - identical down to the last bit. The only thing that can be patched with cloning is the method, though it is just a risk that comes with wirelessly (and even with wired connections) sending data from one system to another. Plus, most of the time people who are cloning pokemon are actually trying to help you. It's not like creating a load of flawless pokemon with Pokegen, they're actually trying multiple times to do it (it's not an easy process in XY) and being kind by giving them out, provided they aren't asking for something ridiculous in return. Examples of this behaviour include people who Wonder Trade them, and people like that-site-we-can't-say's TheOneIntegral who gives away cloned event legends every so often because we can't get them without the bank or striking lucky.

And regarding one of the first points in your post, there are no long-term effects to clones because they are just clones, data that was duplicated in every way. It's no different than if you somehow caught a pokemon at the same place on the same day with the same stats, nature and moves and trained them in an identical way alongside each other.

I really don't think you understand what exactly cloning is if you are so determined that there will be some kind of magical patch to say if two pieces of data identical in every single way can suddenly be differentiated.
Cloned Pokemon are like having multiple copies of the same file on your PC. Each has (necessarily) a different filename/location in the filesystem, but the actual data contained in the file is identical with no way to tell them apart. So yes, Pokemon Bank can potentially tell if it has cloned Pokemon in storage (because it will have multiple copies of one Pokemon's exact data), but I really doubt they're going to make any steps to prevent that. After all, clones are still perfectly legal....

I really don't think you understand what exactly cloning is if you are so determined that there will be some kind of magical patch to say if two pieces of data identical in every single way can suddenly be differentiated.
Cloned Pokemon are like having multiple copies of the same file on your PC. Each has (necessarily) a different filename/location in the filesystem, but the actual data contained in the file is identical with no way to tell them apart. So yes, Pokemon Bank can potentially tell if it has cloned Pokemon in storage (because it will have multiple copies of one Pokemon's exact data), but I really doubt they're going to make any steps to prevent that. After all, clones are still perfectly legal....

It can't determine which one was the original, though, and the problems arising from that are enough of a reason to not implement such a check. Example case: you traded a Pokémon to your friend temporarily and they cloned it and uploaded a clone to the Bank for themselves without you knowing, and now you have it back in your Gen V game but can't do the same to the original since that data was already known. Or you received a clone/cloned original from GTS or somewhere, same problem. Cue a flood of queries to Nintendo about how a legitimate Pokémon can somehow not get into the Bank.

It can't determine which one was the original, though, and the problems arising from that are enough of a reason to not implement such a check. Example case: you traded a Pokémon to your friend temporarily and they cloned it and uploaded a clone to the Bank for themselves without you knowing, and now you have it back in your Gen V game but can't do the same to the original since that data was already known. Or you received a clone/cloned original from GTS or somewhere, same problem. Cue a flood of queries to Nintendo about how a legitimate Pokémon can somehow not get into the Bank.

Exactly. Pokemon data doesn't exactly include a full transfer/exchange history to prove which one was the 'original' (and even that gets duplicated as part of the cloning process).

Unless you already, explicitly know for 100% sure that a Pokemon was cloned off another, you have no way of proving it experimentally.

Last edited:

I'm somewhat confused at your point Soulweaver. A perfect 1:1 clone of a pokemon is possible without cloning, except that it's as unlikely as the probability of any one of us being here alive today. Plus once the proceedure to clone is complete they become two separate pokemon files (as Stratelier said earlier, a computer will give a different name to a file you duplicate, same holds true for pokemon...kinda). There are no "problems" as you describe that would come from a clone because they are separate .PKX files.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom