• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Several Breeding Related Things (Too Much for SQSA)

decreases the chance of hatching a shiny drastically. It is especially low in X and Y as the normal chance of finding a shiny was decreased to 1/4096 from the original 1/8192.
Halving the divisor increases the chance (from 0.012% to 0.024%), doubling it. The numbers are correct but your terminology isn't.
Yeah, yeah :disgust:. I think the point still got across.

Re: Several Breeding Related Things (Too Much for SQSA)

#1 - the shininess (and IVs, gender, nature) of an egg is already determined as soon as you get it so sorry no soft-resetting for those.
Technically you CAN soft-reset if you saved before actually getting the egg (that's when the stats are generated), but considering the time it takes to hatch the eggs & check the baby, the Daycare man probably has another Egg for you so a reset is not worth it.

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

I want to know if this is a glitch or something

I had an Eevee transferred over from Gen5.
I played with it on Amie to evolve it into Sylveon.
It evolved, but the dex tells me I don't own a Sylveon :/

For serious. Is this supposed to happen? I have a Sylveon that can't be registered in the dex?

Anyone have an accurate type resistance chart? I have found like 10 different ones online that contradict each other. Thank You.

Anyone have an accurate type resistance chart? I have found like 10 different ones online that contradict each other. Thank You.
The type chart on the wiki should be accurate. Type chart: Generation VI

What do the other charts you have say?

Some have steel as resisting ghost/dark, or light and dark types? thanks for the info.

Steel resisted Ghost and Dark up to Generation V so the sources that say that aren't really wrong, just outdated; the old type chart is there on the linked page as well.

The type chart on the wiki should be accurate. Type chart: Generation VI

What do the other charts you have say?

Some have steel as resisting ghost/dark, or light and dark types? thanks for the info.

Steel resisted Ghost and Dark up to Generation V so the sources that say that aren't really wrong, just outdated; the old type chart is there on the linked page as well.

It was hard to tell because the chart had fairy listed as a type and had X/Y logo in the corner lol.

Trying to train the perfect Growlithe?

Hey everyone! I've been playing Pokémon for a long time now but I've never really explored IV and EV breeding. I don't really know they are and what exactly they do. I was wondering if you guys could explain what they are and help guide me to try and breed the perfect Growlithe in Pokémon Y. (If it's that simple) Any help at all would be nice. Thanks!

Re: Trying to train the perfect Growlithe?

Hey everyone! I've been playing Pokémon for a long time now but I've never really explored IV and EV breeding. I don't really know they are and what exactly they do. I was wondering if you guys could explain what they are and help guide me to try and breed the perfect Growlithe in Pokémon Y. (If it's that simple) Any help at all would be nice. Thanks!

IVs are a Pokemon's individual values that set it apart from others of it's own species, sort of like "genes" if you will. They range from 0-31, with 31 being the highest often called a flawless IV. It makes that particular stat higher than one with a lower IV in the same stat.

EVs are Effort Values, when a Pokemon defeats another in battle, it gains Effort Points in a specific stat. Having the Pokemon defeat certain Pokemon that give the EVs you want will help raise that specific stat to make it higher. A stat can be the highest it can be with a 31 IV, 252 EVs(the max there can be in a single stat) and a beneficial nature. Hope that helps.

As for your Growlithe, start with parents that have high IVs, you might find them in the Friend Safari, as they will always have 2 perfect stats at least, also using the item Destiny Knot passes down 5 IVs from the parents, but it still may take a while to get parents with the IVs you want to pass down if you want several high IVs.

IV breeding can be a bit complicated but I'll try.

A Pokemon's IVs (or Individual Values) are a range of 0-31 for each of the six stats (HP/Attack/Defense/Sp. Attack/Sp. Defense/Speed) Each 1 IV grants an additional 1 point for that stat. For example:

A Growlithe with 21/3/20/6/19/0 (this is a common format of listing IVs) receives 21 extra points in HP, 3 in Attack, 20 in Defense, etc.

If you notice, the chance of getting all 31s in a stat is very improbable. Also notice that a simple 1-point difference can spell victory or defeat. (someone who has 1 more Speed than you will be moving faster) There is where IV breeding comes in.

You know you can leave Pokemon in the day-care, where there's a chance they'll produce an egg (if they're compatible) If the parents aren't holding any breeding items (Everstone, Destiny Knot, Power items) then this is how stuff is passed down:
- Natures are assigned randomly
- The mother has an 80% chance of passing down her Ability
- IVs: 3 stats are chosen at random, and an IV for those stats from either parent is passed down

Having a parent hold an Everstone passes down their nature to their offspring. The Destiny Knot and the Power items over at the Battle Maison (later in the game) help pass down IVs.
Power [item]: there are 6 of them, one for each stat. The parent holding a Power item will pass down their IV for that corresponding stat.
Destiny Knot: 5 stats are chosen at random, and an IV for those stats from either parent is passed down (either parent can hold this)

So you see how useful the Destiny Knot is, but only if you have good parents. If you're using parents that have non-perfect IVs while holding a Destiny Knot then those same IVs will just get passed down to the eggs.

To get a perfect IV in the first place is the difficult part, it'll come down to luck. Thankfully the Friend Safari guarantees that any Pokemon caught there has at least 2 perfect IVs, which makes your job easier. What I usually do when breeding is get 2 parents with perfect IVs that cover as many stats as possible, and I give them a Destiny Knot. Once you hatch something that is a better replacement for one of your parents then switch it out. Repeat until you get the IV spread that you're looking for.

Hopefully this helped, let me know if you have other questions.

Also notice that a simple 1-point difference can spell victory or defeat.
To put this in perspective, the odds of that are also very improbable (except where Speed is concerned, as it dictates who moves first); a 1-point difference in Attack or Defense is far less than the random variance in damage from turn to turn.

Official chart --> Pokémon Type!

Last edited:

IVs are a Pokemon's individual values that set it apart from others of it's own species, sort of like "genes" if you will. They range from 0-31, with 31 being the highest often called a flawless IV. It makes that particular stat higher than one with a lower IV in the same stat.

EVs are Effort Values, when a Pokemon defeats another in battle, it gains Effort Points in a specific stat. Having the Pokemon defeat certain Pokemon that give the EVs you want will help raise that specific stat to make it higher. A stat can be the highest it can be with a 31 IV, 252 EVs(the max there can be in a single stat) and a beneficial nature. Hope that helps.

As for your Growlithe, start with parents that have high IVs, you might find them in the Friend Safari, as they will always have 2 perfect stats at least, also using the item Destiny Knot passes down 5 IVs from the parents, but it still may take a while to get parents with the IVs you want to pass down if you want several high IVs.

IV breeding can be a bit complicated but I'll try.

A Pokemon's IVs (or Individual Values) are a range of 0-31 for each of the six stats (HP/Attack/Defense/Sp. Attack/Sp. Defense/Speed) Each 1 IV grants an additional 1 point for that stat. For example:

A Growlithe with 21/3/20/6/19/0 (this is a common format of listing IVs) receives 21 extra points in HP, 3 in Attack, 20 in Defense, etc.

If you notice, the chance of getting all 31s in a stat is very improbable. Also notice that a simple 1-point difference can spell victory or defeat. (someone who has 1 more Speed than you will be moving faster) There is where IV breeding comes in.

You know you can leave Pokemon in the day-care, where there's a chance they'll produce an egg (if they're compatible) If the parents aren't holding any breeding items (Everstone, Destiny Knot, Power items) then this is how stuff is passed down:
- Natures are assigned randomly
- The mother has an 80% chance of passing down her Ability
- IVs: 3 stats are chosen at random, and an IV for those stats from either parent is passed down

Having a parent hold an Everstone passes down their nature to their offspring. The Destiny Knot and the Power items over at the Battle Maison (later in the game) help pass down IVs.
Power [item]: there are 6 of them, one for each stat. The parent holding a Power item will pass down their IV for that corresponding stat.
Destiny Knot: 5 stats are chosen at random, and an IV for those stats from either parent is passed down (either parent can hold this)

So you see how useful the Destiny Knot is, but only if you have good parents. If you're using parents that have non-perfect IVs while holding a Destiny Knot then those same IVs will just get passed down to the eggs.

To get a perfect IV in the first place is the difficult part, it'll come down to luck. Thankfully the Friend Safari guarantees that any Pokemon caught there has at least 2 perfect IVs, which makes your job easier. What I usually do when breeding is get 2 parents with perfect IVs that cover as many stats as possible, and I give them a Destiny Knot. Once you hatch something that is a better replacement for one of your parents then switch it out. Repeat until you get the IV spread that you're looking for.

Hopefully this helped, let me know if you have other questions.

That really clears things up, thanks! I always thought Ev's and natures were the same thing but I guess I was wrong. Now to find out if I still have my destiny knot....and someone who has Growlithe in their friend safari. Thanks again, both of you!

I have both X and Y. Will I be able to get a Celebi from Pokemon Bank for each game, or is it only one per system?

Can you consecutive fish to get a Shiny before you do the quest? Because I just got the rod and consecutively fished over 100 times and didn't encounter a Shiny. I know it's not guaranteed, I just wonder if it's confirmed whether you have to do the quest that teaches you about consecutive fishing before you can use the technique to get Shinies.

Can you consecutive fish to get a Shiny before you do the quest? Because I just got the rod and consecutively fished over 100 times and didn't encounter a Shiny. I know it's not guaranteed, I just wonder if it's confirmed whether you have to do the quest that teaches you about consecutive fishing before you can use the technique to get Shinies.

Pretty sure you can.

So what happens if you get all 718 Pokemon? Anything? I know that if you complete the National Dex you get the Shiny Charm but surely if you collect all 718 you get something right?

So what happens if you get all 718 Pokemon? Anything? I know that if you complete the National Dex you get the Shiny Charm but surely if you collect all 718 you get something right?

Nope. The rewards stop at the non-events being obtained.

Sidenote;
THE BANK IS OUT IN EUROPE! WOOOOHOOOOOOOO! Totally downloading right now!!!!
I wish I could think of a question that wouldn't make this post feel so spammy but...sorry, the main thread isn't open yet and I needed to vent my joy in an otherwise totally horrible day!

Pretty sure you can.

Can someone confirm? Did anyone consecutive fish a Shiny before completing the quest?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom