• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Any tips on the IV/EV idea?

Yes nature is very important, if you make a pokemon hold an Everstone it will pass down its nature to the offspring, a pokemon with Adamant nature holding an Everstone will pass its Adamant nature to the offspring, you can EV train in Super Training instead of EV training with Power items and also you can EV train at any level. Yes EV training and IV breeding can be overwhelming at first so i suggest you check out Youtube, there are alot of videos explaining EV training and IV breeding in detail.

That was way too much for my brain to handle.

Nature does matter. You're not gonna want a raise on a stat you don't need and an axe to the one you do. Stick an Everstone on your breeding mons, man.

But then Norzan beats me by five seconds. Thank you, auto-reload.

The Power items at the Maison really aren't that difficult to get -- the first ten or so battles in regular challenges are against NFE teams which you can sweep easily with fully-evolved Pokemon. However with Super Training they are better used solely for IV breeding than EV training.

If there's a specific Nature you absolutely must have, get a father from a similar species with that Nature and put an Everstone on him. (Failing that, get a Pokemon with the desired Nature and Synchronize then go looking for a wild male or Ditto.) Why the father? Because the mother can pass down moves now, so you can do advanced breeding projects in three separate phases (moves, IVs, Nature). Breeding for moves is the easiest, so you do that first. Once you have a male/female pair with desired moveset, breed the female for IVs (you can swap out fathers later as needed).

For IVs, in addition to the Power items, make sure to always, always use a Destiny Knot, then the baby inherits five IVs, which makes it (almost literally) 1000x easier to get near-flawless offspring. A Pokemon doesn't have to be absolutely flawless -- every Pokemon can benefit from flawless HP/Defense/Sp.Def but if you have a Pokemon primarily using physical or special attacks then you don't have to worry about the opposite attack stat.

Now as for EV training, it depends on what you want out of the Pokemon -- do you want a Pokemon who hits absolutely the hardest it possibly can, endures that one hit that would've been expected to KO it, unexpectedly outspeeds the opponent, etc.? Keep in mind the Pokemon damage formula is multiplicative while IVs/EVs are additive, so an individual Pokemon will see the largest (percentage) yield if you EV train their weak stats instead of their strong ones.

Nature on the other hand is a multiplicative boost, so from a percentage standpoint it makes no difference compared to which stats you train manually. It bugs me when people say Nature is everything. No, Nature is +10%. 10% is 10% is 10%. Granted, like IVs it's a "free" 10% that you don't have to grind for, so you may as well have one that boosts the stats you want to use the most, but if the offspring doesn't have a desired Nature it's not the end of the world; you can just use them in another generation of breeding runs.

Keep in mind that you can only fully max two stats through EV training. If you want to EV train more than two stats, go ahead but then you'll have to limit how much you invest in each stat.

Last edited:

I forgot the ever stone thing. Still confused on the EV train any level. If 4 EV points= 1 stat point then wouldn't it be best to train lv. 1 0 EV's Bred Pokemon? Lv. 100 Mewtwo set to 0 EV's (reset bag for example) but his stats are maxed so I wouldn't get the stat points right? I was thinking stat points matter just as much as EV/IV/Nature right? I hear IV/Nature/EV but nothing on the stats much. If speed stat is higher than I go before X pokemon that's easy to understand but I don't get the lv. 100 EV training if I gain ZERO stats. The idea of it makes some since. I didn't think the battle masion was that easy I'll give it a shot then with a couple of my higher level Pokemon. Thanks for making it more clear at least.

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

This is making my brain hurt! This is where I'm at now. Dittos were shitty! IV's and Nature same with Froakie GREAT IV's wanted but SHIT nature! so NOW!

1) Catch Abra Friend safari HOPE it has synchronize and the nature I want

2) Go catch Ditto 50% nature I want

3) breed for a HOPEFUL IV wanted Froakie

4) FINALLY start EV training!

SHEESH! Went through 10+ Abra friend safari and STILL not the nature I want!

AND AGAIN LET ME STATE HAVEN'T EVEN STARTED THE EV TRAINING HORD BATTLE STUFF!!!!!!

SHEESH!!!!!

I forgot the ever stone thing. Still confused on the EV train any level. If 4 EV points= 1 stat point then wouldn't it be best to train lv. 1 0 EV's Bred Pokemon? Lv. 100 Mewtwo set to 0 EV's (reset bag for example) but his stats are maxed so I wouldn't get the stat points right? I was thinking stat points matter just as much as EV/IV/Nature right? I hear IV/Nature/EV but nothing on the stats much. If speed stat is higher than I go before X pokemon that's easy to understand but I don't get the lv. 100 EV training if I gain ZERO stats. The idea of it makes some since. I didn't think the battle masion was that easy I'll give it a shot then with a couple of my higher level Pokemon. Thanks for making it more clear at least.

One of the great things that happened in Gen. V (and is still in Gen VI) is the change to how EVs increase stats. In previous generations, Pokémon's stats were fixed once they hit Lv. 100, since the games would only ever recalculate stats upon a level up (or a few other specific situations that weren't always applicable, such as form changes).

Nowadays, stats are recalculated after every battle, so even Lv. 100 Pokémon can increase their stats even more through EV training.

I think it might help if you take a look at how stats are calculated as well. Here's a page with a lot of info on stats, what they do, and how they are calculated. If I did my link right, it should first take you to the current stats formula, where you can see just how base stats, EVs, IVs, and natures play a role.

Got a Froakie IV perfect Sp. D Sp. A AND Speed ALL 31!!! But NO ONE had Protean! I hear the safari has 2 Perfect IV's and possibility of hidden ability so off I go to ask for that. SHEESH! I've been at this ALL DAY! The idea "Oh it takes 5min." or is easier is BS! Easier compared to past games YES! But I had to catch 20+ Abra for synchronize 50/50 ditto the nature I wanted from Abra! THEN Ditto/Froakie breeding NO FROAKIE had the HA! Off to the Safari thread I guess 30+ Froakie later and I have ONE YES ONE! 3 Perfect IV's WHO THE HELL HAS TIME FOR THIS SHIT SHEESH!!!!

Got a Froakie IV perfect Sp. D Sp. A AND Speed ALL 31!!! But NO ONE had Protean! I hear the safari has 2 Perfect IV's and possibility of hidden ability so off I go to ask for that. SHEESH! I've been at this ALL DAY! The idea "Oh it takes 5min." or is easier is BS! Easier compared to past games YES! But I had to catch 20+ Abra for synchronize 50/50 ditto the nature I wanted from Abra! THEN Ditto/Froakie breeding NO FROAKIE had the HA! Off to the Safari thread I guess 30+ Froakie later and I have ONE YES ONE! 3 Perfect IV's WHO THE HELL HAS TIME FOR THIS SHIT SHEESH!!!!

IV breeding is easy as fuck
You just have to know what to do

I do not know who told you that, but breeding for stats has ALWAYS required patience.
If you are just starting, then it takes longer than breeders because they have all of their preparations ahead of time.
It IS fairly simple, but unless you have preparations already on hand it NEVER takes five minutes to breed for stats and nature.

It gets easier as you progress and are able to cover more egg groups. My recommendation is to use power items + destiny knot to breed a strong male to carry the the iv spread so it can be passed down to other compatible species and egg groups while the female is constantly replaced as it holds the species and ability. Here's something that might help, it's a probability calculator to help you see what are the chances for you to get a certain iv spread for a newborn. link:Pokemon X/Y - IV Breeding Probability Calculator

Makes since perhaps from Pokemon Bank you have perfect IVs from a Gen V to use in X/Y with ease. Surely your first time into this was INSANE as my experience is being. Just seems like a challenge for ONE JUST ONE Pokemon (Wanted an UBER team to tackle the Battle Masion mainly) not interested in competitive scene. Perhaps I can understand this EV/IV idea and have stuff saved to Bank for Pokemon Z (3rd game) and Gen VII like other breeders had. :) Thanks for all the support.

Makes since perhaps from Pokemon Bank you have perfect IVs from a Gen V to use in X/Y with ease. Surely your first time into this was INSANE as my experience is being. Just seems like a challenge for ONE JUST ONE Pokemon (Wanted an UBER team to tackle the Battle Masion mainly) not interested in competitive scene. Perhaps I can understand this EV/IV idea and have stuff saved to Bank for Pokemon Z (3rd game) and Gen VII like other breeders had. :) Thanks for all the support.
Try not to think of it as a chore and just have fun with it. While breeding is indeed easier this gen it still requires some effort, especially if you're just being introduced to it. I wish you the best of luck.

I did my first full-on breeding project this gen with a Gooey Goomy before Pokebank came out, I just took my time with it and at the end I had traded my leftovers for other IV parents. The first project usually feels the longest since you're still making your way around but once that's done you'll have a better grasp of breeding. Plus you'll have a good IV parent (or more) to use for your other projects :)

Not sure if this question required its own thread since I don't fully understand the rules here sorry. My question is will they shutdown Pokemon Bank?

What I mean is the Pal Park (transfer Gen 3-Gen 4 was after elite four national dex right?) Bank was a download months after in Feb if I recall. COULD they "block it" for Z or Gen VII to start with until National Dex post Elite 4? Through an update I assume OR do you think you can transfer your UBERS and such from Gen VI ASAP from the beginning of the games? Sure the whole levels for traded Pokemon would be in affect from gym badges but for breeders and such ideas.

What do y'all think? Is this possible to happen?

If anything, they will make it so you cannot access bank until a certain point or after a set amount of time after release.

I do not think this will happen though considering Z will most likely have trading capabilities with X & Y anyways making restricting bank moot. ...That is, unless they restrict trading to other copies of Z only till after Elite Four or something. XP (Which is very unlikely)

Edit: Now granted, this is assuming they do the same as Gen V, which is not 100% guaranteed.

Not sure if this question required its own thread since I don't fully understand the rules here sorry. My question is will they shutdown Pokemon Bank?

What I mean is the Pal Park (transfer Gen 3-Gen 4 was after elite four national dex right?) Bank was a download months after in Feb if I recall. COULD they "block it" for Z or Gen VII to start with until National Dex post Elite 4? Through an update I assume OR do you think you can transfer your UBERS and such from Gen VI ASAP from the beginning of the games? Sure the whole levels for traded Pokemon would be in affect from gym badges but for breeders and such ideas.

What do y'all think? Is this possible to happen?

I see them doing something along the lines of GTA 5's Online is waiting about a week and release a patch so the game can have access to Bank. There really is arguments for both cases though.

I think GTA V online took a week then a month+ to get right. I'm sure the program for Bank will be in the code for each game going forward though for 100% for sure. The idea is to transfer that Pikachu you always love to use (as the direct put it.) So after a week sounds interesting. I agree there are views of both letting and not letting. I just wonder if they could do a "National dex" idea in the coding. Perhaps a "house" in "Black City" New AREA post game basically that unlocks Bank to be useable with Gen VII or Z. IMO I don't believe they would do it for game number 3 of Gen VI but they might for the new Gen VII. We'll have to wait and see how it's done.

You know if you are still concerned with the time it takes to breed you could always go to the offering board and try to get someone's breeding leftovers for a good start. I know you're just starting and you don't have much but there are some people who will trade for free or for little. I'm thinking of opening up a board of my own there and if I do drop by and maybe we can work something out.

I've been away for a few months so can someone tell me what the situation on hacked pokémons is? The last time I used any of the trading features was before December and at the time the consensus was that it was safe because it was still hard to make massive amounts of hacked pokémon and spread them around. What about now?

Eehhh, it depends on the level of hack. You won't see any bidoofs using Fire Blast or many Wondertombs, but sometimes you'll see those people with Maxed IVs, Shiny, Hidden Ability pokemon... except this applies to all of their pokemon.

I think I missed something here while I was breeding.
I have a 6 IV breeding with a 5 IV with destiny knot. Why am I getting 3 or 4 IV offspring?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom