• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

    We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

It's 209 a good speed for Tyranitar?

  • YES

    Votes: 25 71.4%
  • NO

    Votes: 10 28.6%

  • Total voters
    35
New Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2013
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

So what are 6 IV dittos going for? I need one for breeding but I am curious as to what I would need to get people to even consider trading for one.
 
I aim to misbehave
Joined
Feb 18, 2014
Messages
495
Reaction score
40
Well, you could check out the Bulbagarden GTS. People are always posting Dittos there. You can even put up what you're willing to offer in your own tread. I've filled my dex there.
 
New Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2013
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Damn I ask a lot of questions don't I? But I just got into the breeding aspect of the games sooooo. Breeding question incoming.

In regards to the so called "Time Machine" method, once I am breeding two 5 IV parents is the TM method still effective in getting a 6 IV pokemon or is it better to just pump out a ton of eggs all at once and then check them?
 
Daycare Stalker
Joined
Jan 4, 2014
Messages
67
Reaction score
1
^The Time Machine is best used to get up to 5IV's, because the last IV will always be random. That's why I usually just hatch batches of 5 eggs and check them all at once. The chance of finding a 6IV egg with a 6IV Ditto and a 5 IV parent are pretty high anyway, and with Talonflame/Volcarona and Hatching O-powers, it doesn't take long.
That being said, 6IV's are usually not even necessary, 5IV will do the job just fine (unless you're going to use a mixed attacker), and they are a lot easier to hatch.
Edit: Forgot to mention, with regular hatching, you might run into an accidental shiny!
 
New Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2013
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
That being said, 6IV's are usually not even necessary, 5IV will do the job just fine (unless you're going to use a mixed attacker), and they are a lot easier to hatch.
Yeah I know....but my ocd demands a perfect 31 across the board....:)

Thanks for the answer, I figured as much but just needed confirmation.
 
New Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2015
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I'm playing Pokemon Gold, and I want to breed a pokemon with Celebi's starting moves (Confusion, Leech Seed, Healing Bell, Recover).

I've already done a little research. If I can do it, it looks like it'll require Chain Breeding. And it looks like Smeargle will be necessary, at least for Heal Bell? But I'm pretty ignorant about breeding as a whole, so I'm looking for some guidance.

What are the different options I have?
 
New Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2015
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
In pokemon xy, at Dendemille town, does the old lady who re-learn moves to your pokemon can re-learn ALL the moves your pokemon should have or not all of them?
She can teach:
- Moves the Pokemon learns by level up (for its current evolutionary form)
- Egg moves that it hatched with (provided it is Gen 6 bred)

I'm still a little fuzzy on whether the Move Reminder can teach moves associated exclusively with previous evolutionary forms (like Riolu and Force Palm, as Lucario gets Power-Up Punch at that level instead) ....
No, the Move Reminder can't teach moves that only previous forms get. If it could, I'd have been able to get Giga Drain on my Sceptile. Currently, they can only re-teach moves the current evolutionary form gets by level, moves that have access over all generations of a species, or egg moves the pokemon was hatched with. It can also re-teach event-exclusive moves to even pokemon.

Ok, thank you (you 2) :D
But, you say ''Currently, they can only re-teach moves the current evolutionary form gets by level''
Does it mean that in older games, you can re-teach the moves the previous forms get ?
 
Last edited:
I aim to misbehave
Joined
Feb 18, 2014
Messages
495
Reaction score
40
In pokemon xy, at Dendemille town, does the old lady who re-learn moves to your pokemon can re-learn ALL the moves your pokemon should have or not all of them?
She can teach:
- Moves the Pokemon learns by level up (for its current evolutionary form)
- Egg moves that it hatched with (provided it is Gen 6 bred)

I'm still a little fuzzy on whether the Move Reminder can teach moves associated exclusively with previous evolutionary forms (like Riolu and Force Palm, as Lucario gets Power-Up Punch at that level instead) ....
No, the Move Reminder can't teach moves that only previous forms get. If it could, I'd have been able to get Giga Drain on my Sceptile. Currently, they can only re-teach moves the current evolutionary form gets by level, moves that have access over all generations of a species, or egg moves the pokemon was hatched with. It can also re-teach event-exclusive moves to even pokemon.

Ok, thank you (you 2) :D
But, you say ''Currently, they can only re-teach moves the current evolutionary form gets by level''
Does it mean that in older games, you can re-teach the moves the previous forms get ?
No, I mean that maybe in the future it will change. I always tend to go to Treeko with this example because it learns Giga Drain at level 21 (46 in XY), and it's the only one in it's line to learn it. So if you evolve it before then, Grovyle and Sceptile cannot be taught Giga Drain. However, if you level it to 21, teach Giga Drain, THEN evolve it, they will be able to re-learn the move.
 
Dieter
Joined
Aug 3, 2010
Messages
1,062
Reaction score
896
No, I mean that maybe in the future it will change. I always tend to go to Treeko with this example because it learns Giga Drain at level 21 (46 in XY), and it's the only one in it's line to learn it. So if you evolve it before then, Grovyle and Sceptile cannot be taught Giga Drain. However, if you level it to 21, teach Giga Drain, THEN evolve it, they will be able to re-learn the move.
Really? Cause I just tested it with my Ralts and it doesn't seem to work with it? I evolved it into Kirlia, then Gallade, then checked with the Move Reminderr, and it couldn't relearn any of the Ralts/Kirlia exclusive moves, even though it had known them before. It still knew Draining Kiss, which I overwrote with another move, then I checked again and it couldn't relearn that either. So are you certain Pokémon that knew a move exclusive to an earlier evo can relearn it (like you state Treecko does)

Or did I completely misunderstand what you said?
 
Poison-type Trainer
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
1,912
Reaction score
8
I'm playing Pokemon Gold, and I want to breed a pokemon with Celebi's starting moves (Confusion, Leech Seed, Healing Bell, Recover).

I've already done a little research. If I can do it, it looks like it'll require Chain Breeding. And it looks like Smeargle will be necessary, at least for Heal Bell? But I'm pretty ignorant about breeding as a whole, so I'm looking for some guidance.

What are the different options I have?
You don't really got much in the way of options, I'm afraid- the only Pokémon you can hatch with Heal Bell in Gold are Miltank, Chansey, and Snubbull, and none of them learn any of the other three moves.
 
Poison-type Trainer
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
1,912
Reaction score
8
The move relearner will only allow you to relearn previous form-exclusive moves if the Pokémon came into existence knowing those moves. For example, if you hatch a Weedle, and it knows Poison Sting and String Shot, and you evolve it into Kakuna, let it learn Harden, then evolve it into Beedrill, and completely rework its moveset, getting rid of Poison Sting, String Shot and Harden, you can relearn Poison Sting and String Shot, since it came with those moves from the very start, but you can't relearn Harden, since you only learned it along the way and didn't have it from the start. I believe, however, if you do this same thing with a Kakuna you catch in the wild, then you'll be able to relearn Harden, but not Poison Sting or String Shot, since as far as the game is concerned, it came into existence as a Kakuna that knew Harden.
 
I aim to misbehave
Joined
Feb 18, 2014
Messages
495
Reaction score
40
No, I mean that maybe in the future it will change. I always tend to go to Treeko with this example because it learns Giga Drain at level 21 (46 in XY), and it's the only one in it's line to learn it. So if you evolve it before then, Grovyle and Sceptile cannot be taught Giga Drain. However, if you level it to 21, teach Giga Drain, THEN evolve it, they will be able to re-learn the move.
Really? Cause I just tested it with my Ralts and it doesn't seem to work with it? I evolved it into Kirlia, then Gallade, then checked with the Move Reminderr, and it couldn't relearn any of the Ralts/Kirlia exclusive moves, even though it had known them before. It still knew Draining Kiss, which I overwrote with another move, then I checked again and it couldn't relearn that either. So are you certain Pokémon that knew a move exclusive to an earlier evo can relearn it (like you state Treecko does)

Or did I completely misunderstand what you said?
My bad. I was wrong with the whole "if it knew the exclusive move it can relearn it" thing.
 
New Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2015
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
In pokemon xy, at Dendemille town, does the old lady who re-learn moves to your pokemon can re-learn ALL the moves your pokemon should have or not all of them?
She can teach:
- Moves the Pokemon learns by level up (for its current evolutionary form)
- Egg moves that it hatched with (provided it is Gen 6 bred)

I'm still a little fuzzy on whether the Move Reminder can teach moves associated exclusively with previous evolutionary forms (like Riolu and Force Palm, as Lucario gets Power-Up Punch at that level instead) ....
No, the Move Reminder can't teach moves that only previous forms get. If it could, I'd have been able to get Giga Drain on my Sceptile. Currently, they can only re-teach moves the current evolutionary form gets by level, moves that have access over all generations of a species, or egg moves the pokemon was hatched with. It can also re-teach event-exclusive moves to even pokemon.

Ok, thank you (you 2) :D
But, you say ''Currently, they can only re-teach moves the current evolutionary form gets by level''
Does it mean that in older games, you can re-teach the moves the previous forms get ?
No, I mean that maybe in the future it will change. I always tend to go to Treeko with this example because it learns Giga Drain at level 21 (46 in XY), and it's the only one in it's line to learn it. So if you evolve it before then, Grovyle and Sceptile cannot be taught Giga Drain. However, if you level it to 21, teach Giga Drain, THEN evolve it, they will be able to re-learn the move.
Ok, thank you !
I have another question ( xD actually I created an account just to ask questions)
If, by exemple, I recieve an DW Oddish (trade), if I evolve it into Vileplume, do the Vileplume will have its DW hidden ability (Effect Spore) ?
 
Poison-type Trainer
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
1,912
Reaction score
8
If, by exemple, I recieve an DW Oddish (trade), if I evolve it into Vileplume, do the Vileplume will have it DW hidden ability (Effect Spore) ?
Yes, it will. The only time a Pokémon loses its Hidden Ability when it evolves is when the evolved form has no Hidden Ability (such as the Trapinch line- Trapinch's Hidden Ability is Sheer Force, but Vibrava and Flygon get Levitate no matter what). Yes, a Run Away Oddish will definitely become an Effect Spore Vileplume (unless it becomes a Healer Bellossom instead, but you get the idea).
 
Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2012
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
971
My bad. I was wrong with the whole "if it knew the exclusive move it can relearn it" thing.
Still, in the case of Treecko and Giga Drain, since Giga Drain is something Treecko can learn by level, all you have to do is have Giga Drain on both parents and then breed a new Treecko such that it is born knowing the move -- then it can relearn the move any time.
 
New Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2015
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I'm reading about pokemon that you can catch on each route on bulbapedia but I am confused about the percentages under rate. What do these mean?
Also why is it different on some other pages where it just says rare, common or average?
 

dig

wonder how much I can type in here before I get cu
Joined
Jul 4, 2012
Messages
22,296
Reaction score
4,907
I'm reading about pokemon that you can catch on each route on bulbapedia but I am confused about the percentages under rate. What do these mean?
Also why is it different on some other pages where it just says rare, common or average?
Percentages means how likely you are to run into that Pokemon in a random battle. When it just says rare it probably means that the percentage rate is unknown and hasn't been added yet.
 
Poison-type Trainer
Joined
May 26, 2008
Messages
1,912
Reaction score
8
I'm reading about pokemon that you can catch on each route on bulbapedia but I am confused about the percentages under rate. What do these mean?
Also why is it different on some other pages where it just says rare, common or average?
The percentages indicate how much of a chance you have into running into a given Pokémon when you go into the grass. For example, if in HeartGold you go into the Violet City side of Dark Cave and run into a wild Pokémon, there's a 60% chance of it being a Geodude, a 39% chance of it being a Zubat, and a 1% chance of being a Dunsparce. The higher the percentage, the more likely you are to find the corresponding Pokémon, so you can expect to see mainly Geodude and Zubat in Dark Cave, more Geodude than Zubat, and you'd have to be pretty lucky to find a Dunsparce.

As for rare/common/average, they're just placeholders until someone can get ahold of the actual numbers and add them instead.
 
Dragon of the Water
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
563
Reaction score
0
In ORAS, what does the capture screen look like for Pokemon obtained in RSE? Does it say that the Pokemon traveled through both space and time to reach you from the Hoenn region? Or something else...
Yep, just "Seems to have traveled across both space and and time to reach you from the Hoenn region". Not much special there, but at least they have the Time Travel poster for the Secret Base.
 
New Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2015
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I'm reading about pokemon that you can catch on each route on bulbapedia but I am confused about the percentages under rate. What do these mean?
Also why is it different on some other pages where it just says rare, common or average?
The percentages indicate how much of a chance you have into running into a given Pokémon when you go into the grass. For example, if in HeartGold you go into the Violet City side of Dark Cave and run into a wild Pokémon, there's a 60% chance of it being a Geodude, a 39% chance of it being a Zubat, and a 1% chance of being a Dunsparce. The higher the percentage, the more likely you are to find the corresponding Pokémon, so you can expect to see mainly Geodude and Zubat in Dark Cave, more Geodude than Zubat, and you'd have to be pretty lucky to find a Dunsparce.

As for rare/common/average, they're just placeholders until someone can get ahold of the actual numbers and add them instead.
I'm going to use the equations on the page about Tall Grass
Tall grass - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

It still has descriptions such as Very Common, Common, Semi-rare, Rare and Very Rare. Are there percentages that let me know which one would be which?
Using your example, 60% chance of running into Geodude then would that be Very Common or Common? Is there a way I can find out?

Thanks x
 
Top