• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! Bulbagarden is hosting its first Bulbaleague Conference Pokemon Showdown Tournament! Check out this thread to get the full details!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

It's 209 a good speed for Tyranitar?

• YES

Votes: 25 71.4%
  • NO

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Well, fuck. So much for getting those mega stones. :( They really could've made that a lot clearer.

Pokemon Gotta Catch ... Some Of Em ???
Reaction score
When breeding Kanto pokemon from RBY will the offspring be Kanto forms still, or Alola forms as born in Alola? So if I breed Kanto Muk with a Ditto will the egg hatch into Kanto Grimer or Alolan Grimer?

Similarly if a Pokemon like Pikachu or Cubone are brought in from RBY so in Kanto form, when they evolve, will they go into Alola form?
I assume Kanto Meowth evolves into Kanto Persian, but would Kanto Cubone evolve into Kanto Marowak or Alola Marowak>

Apricorn Collector
Reaction score
In Alola, every Pokémon will hatch on their Alola Form, unless you breed a Kanto form with it holding an Everstone.
I believe that they will always evolve into the Alola Form as long as they are in Alola. Not completely sure.

Beep Boop
Reaction score
Well, fuck. So much for getting those mega stones. :( They really could've made that a lot clearer.
You can still get them though! You can get a Mawilite and Beedrillite by entering the code INTIMIDATE in Mystery Gift (also includes a Audinite and Medichamite), and a Pidgeotite and Steelixite by entering the code AZUL (also includes a Heracronite and Houndoominite) :)

It seems they're going to distribute all the missing Mega Stones this way, getting them by competition is just a way to get them faster I guess, but it's not the only way.

Lovely
Reaction score
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
What the heck? When me and my friend tried playing Multi, we'd go back to the first match. Pokémon Sun and Moon, I call shenanigans.
I forgor how it is supposed to be displayed in Sun and Moon, but I know that in XY and ORAS, if two friends team up for Multis with different win-streaks, the facility staff NPC will still say that they will start from Battle #1. Despite the message, the players will battle the facility owner (the Maison sisters in Gen6) according to whoever reaches the 20th battle first (50th in Supers). From my experiment, this seems to hold for Sun and Moon as well.

So I assume that from your case, the "first match" probably doesn't mean you are sent all the way back to the beginning, but rather that the game displays the streaks shared together, rather than the individual streaks.

Trippin balls!
Reaction score
I am currently playing the sun version.
I am trying to breed a 6 iv bulbasaur.
I am breeding a 5 best and 1 fantastic (attack) iv bulbasaur male with my 5 and 1 fantastic (speed) iv ferroseed female.
The problem is that I only get ferroseed's and no bulbasaur's.
(I did get a 6 iv lax ferroseed so it is not a major loss.)
How do I get a bulbasaur with this pairing?

Beep Boop
Reaction score
I am currently playing the sun version.
I am trying to breed a 6 iv bulbasaur.
I am breeding a 5 best and 1 fantastic (attack) iv bulbasaur male with my 5 and 1 fantastic (speed) iv ferroseed female.
The problem is that I only get ferroseed's and no bulbasaur's.
(I did get a 6 iv lax ferroseed so it is not a major loss.)
How do I get a bulbasaur with this pairing?
You can't get a Bulbasaur with this pairing sadly. The Egg will always contain the same species as the female you're breeding with, in this case a Ferroseed. Except if you breed a male Pokémon with a Ditto, then the Egg will contain the species of the male.

So to get a Bulbasaur you need to breed:

1. A female Bulbasaur with a male Pokémon in the same Egg group (like a male Ferroseed).

or

2. A male Bulbasaur with a Ditto.

Trippin balls!
Reaction score
Since the species produced is always the female Pokemon, you cannot achieve this. You could use a male ferrowdeed and female bulba, though.
I am new to breeding. Didn't know that. Thanks.
Now the only thing bothering me is why Destiny Knot is not working in transferring the 5 iv because I still get decent iv when most of my iv is above very good for both pokes.

Beep Boop
Reaction score
I am new to breeding. Didn't know that. Thanks.
Now the only thing bothering me is why Destiny Knot is not working in transferring the 5 iv because I still get decent iv when most of my iv is above very good for both pokes.
The Destiny Knot transfers five of the parents' combined twelve IVs. So the Egg can take:

- 5 of the perfect IVs from the parents
- 4 of the perfect IVs from the parents and one of the non-perfect IVs
- 3 of the perfect IVs from the parents and two of the non-perfect IVs

So if you're unlucky it can happen that you continually get an Egg with only 3 perfect IVs, even if you breed with two parents who both have 5 perfect IVs. It happens to me all the time too ^^;

If you want to know more about breeding, I suggest reading the Breeding article on Bulbapedia, I found it to be very helpful when starting out. Of course you're still allowed to also keep asking questions here :)

Reaction score
How do I claim my prize from the previous online Battle Competition? I believe we were supposed to recieve the Mega Stones for Swampert, Blaziken, and Sceptile.

Apricorn Collector
Reaction score
Y'gotta wait until they release the codes. Just check around on the Global Link periodically.
But man, they really are lacking in the "code releasing" department. They take so long!

Likes cute Pokemon
Reaction score
I been IV breeding Bagons and one stat has 30 IVs while the others have 31 IVs. Does the start having 30 IVs make a big difference then having 31 IVs in that same stat?

Apricorn Collector
Reaction score
It makes a bit of difference. I remember calculating the stat for my Arcanine. The shiny one I had bred came with 30IVs on Speed. With Jolly nature and full training on speed, it would have about 5 points less than if it were to have 31. Maybe my memory is a bit off, but it would actually quite matter in the case.

All-Star
Reaction score
I been IV breeding Bagons and one stat has 30 IVs while the others have 31 IVs. Does the start having 30 IVs make a big difference then having 31 IVs in that same stat?
Assuming a Pokemon is at level 100, each IV point adds exactly one stat point to a Pokemon's corresponding stat. An untrained Espeon at level 100 with a speed IV of 31 would have a speed stat of 256, whereas with 30 IVs it would have a speed stat of 255, and with 0 IVs a speed stat of 225. Although it may not seem like much, these few points can have a significant impact on damage rolls that can mean the difference between a OHKO and a 2HKO, so you should generally try to get those full 31 IVs if possible.

Pokemon Gotta Catch ... Some Of Em ???
Reaction score
I understand Battle Bond increases Base Power from 15 to 20 of Water Shuriken. It says on the Bulbapedia page that it also guarantees that it will hit 3 times.

Does this mean the maximum is 3 as well, or should it says "at least 3" times? If it guarantees a maximum of 3 as well as a minimum of 3, this means it'd be quite weak.

OBEY THE BEARD
Reaction score
I understand Battle Bond increases Base Power from 15 to 20 of Water Shuriken. It says on the Bulbapedia page that it also guarantees that it will hit 3 times.

Does this mean the maximum is 3 as well, or should it says "at least 3" times? If it guarantees a maximum of 3 as well as a minimum of 3, this means it'd be quite weak.
No, it always hits exactly 3 times. If none of the hits are blocked by a substitute or disguise, it effectively has a BP of 60.

And it's actually rather strong, given that (a) it has an effective BP of 60 whereas most priority moves have a BP of 40, and (b) it is a priority move that can break a sub and still deal damage.

Likes cute Pokemon
Reaction score
I started breeding my Clefairy who's male and has the HA friend guard, and the female Clefable with magic guard, and for some reason I always had been getting Cliffas with magic guard. Did they change how HA are passed down and made it that only female Pokemon breeding with a male of the same species? Or am I really unlucky?

Reaction score
Females and the non-Ditto parent males can pass down thier hidden ability. This means if you have a male HA Clefairy and want to pass it down, you need a Ditto to breed with to get a female. This has been the case since Gen 6.