• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

This isn't directly related to the games, but... does anyone know where I can find Pokemon sprites with white backgrounds? pokemondb.net has them for Gen 1 and Gen 2, but all the sprites from Gen 3 and beyond have transparent backgrounds.
Well, the Gen I and II sprites had them as part of the sprite, so that explains why pokemondb.net had them, but from Gen III onwards they stopped using them.

I guess you could check out Spinyshell's solution.

I don’t, sorry :/ I can imagine it would be difficult to add with most free image editing softwares, though. I think Paint has been discontinued but there are others.
There's a website called Pixilart which is a pixil art editor that I use. You can upload images, and can edit the background of these images. If you upload Pokémon sprites to the editor, you'll probably be able to add white backgrounds to them with relative ease.
Well, the Gen I and II sprites had them as part of the sprite, so that explains why pokemondb.net had them, but from Gen III onwards they stopped using them.

I guess you could check out Spinyshell's solution.

Thank you all for the tips! I was trying to copy-and-paste sprites into Google Docs, but when I did, the transparent backgrounds were converted to black backgrounds, which didn't look great on a white page.

However, I've just figured out what causes this. When you copy an image to the clipboard, it discards the transparency information. If I download the sprite to my computer instead, and then drag it into Google Docs, the transparency is preserved. It's slightly more hassle than copy-and-pasting from a website, but it works!

If I ever do need to give a white background to a sprite, I could do that in GIMP, a great free image editor that I'm familiar with. Pixilart looks really cool though, I must try it out sometime!

I didn't realise the white backgrounds were part of the sprites in Gens 1 and 2. That's really interesting.

Why won’t Barry’s post-game team get stronger? In my Platinum version, I have cleared the Hall of Fame 11 times (with only the first time being the weaker Elite Four/Cynthia teams). According to Bulbapedia, Barry’s post-game team at the battleground should increase in level by 10 after entering the Hall of Fame ten times (and another 10 after the twentieth time). But I battled him just now and his team is still at their initial levels. What gives? Am I missing something, or is Bulbapedia mistaken?

Front means it’s the one that you’d send out in battle at the first turn. I believe the Pokémon in the front slot is in the top left hand corner of the party menu.
I know... does the Pokémon with the egg-hatching ability have to be in the front of your party then? I thought it just had to be somewhere in your party... have I been doing it wrong? I've never read anything about it having to be in the front before...
Bulbapedia said:
There are ways to speed up the time required to hatch an Egg. Riding a Bicycle reduces the time required simply by making it faster to complete steps. From Pokémon Emerald onward, if a Pokémon with Flame Body, Magma Armor, or Steam Engine is in a player's party, Egg cycles are reduced by two instead of one at the end of an Egg cycle, effectively halving the steps needed to hatch the Egg. In the Misdreavus example, the Egg would start at 25, and with Slugma in the party, the Egg would drop 2 Egg cycle counts after each Egg cycle, to 23 then 21 then 19 and so on, until it finally drops from 1 to 0 and hatches. Having multiple Pokémon with the Ability or one with each will not increase the Egg cycle reduction. Since the fifth generation, Hatching Powers can also be used (either from Pass Powers or O-Powers) to shorten the length of an Egg cycle, making Eggs hatch 1.25, 1.5, or 2× faster depending on the strength of the power used. In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Secret Pals in the player's Secret Base can also use the skill "Take care of an Egg" to reduce an Egg's Egg cycle count by half of its base Egg cycles.
Source: Pokémon breeding - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

I know... does the Pokémon with the egg-hatching ability have to be in the front of your party then? I thought it just had to be somewhere in your party... have I been doing it wrong? I've never read anything about it having to be in the front before...

Source: Pokémon breeding - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
Looks like you’re right. I’ve been under the impression that it had to be in front for years…maybe an old guidebook or something misled me.

I've got a few encounter questions relating to Gen III encounters I can't seem to find solid answers to:
  1. What is the chance of encountering any Pokémon in a grass tile? I know how the chances of it being any specific Pokémon work but I'm wondering about the actual chance of a battle starting when you enter any grass tile under normal conditions.
  2. Is this the same for spinning in a tile? I'd assume so but I don't know.
  3. What is the chance for a 'cave' encounter. Where the whole map barring certain special tiles can have encounters on them. I believe it's lower but, again, I can't find any sources to corroborate it.
  4. Is it true that roaming Pokémon, if you are in the same place as it, have a 25% encounter rate?
  5. Are these numbers changed by things like running and using bikes. If so how much by?

Cheers in advance for any responses!

Edit: So I seem to have found a pretty comprehensive answer to this Here.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, i have pokemon save files for english pokemon red/blue/green, on my retron 5, is it possible to load up that save file with a japanese pokemon red/blue/green with my retron 5 because the data would be on my retron 5 memory? thankyou !

Hi, I've been playing the Pokémon ORAS demo for about four weeks and I still haven't unlocked the Nugget Mission or the changes in dialogue of NPC's and being able to enter Steven's house. I did change the time once, but three weeks have have already passed since then. What should I do?

If I give a pokemon an EXP. Share in B2W2 and it enters battle, would the pokemon get more Experience than without the EXP. share, or would the Experience gained stay the same?

In HGSS, how do you rematch Juggler Irwin, Pokéfan Beverly, and Pokéfan Derek? Is it even possible to rematch the three mentioned trainers? Unlike every other entry in the Pokégear, there are no dates and times in which they can be called for rematches (according to both Bulbapedia and Serebii). And I have received calls from them but they are never for requesting rematches. And data do exist for their rematch teams, which are listed on Bulbapedia.

I do know that in Pokémon Crystal, those three trainers (alongside Black Belt Kenji) could not be rematched (although they were in Gold and Silver). So...are they not rematchable in HGSS either? (And the rematch data are just there but unused.) I tried looking this up but I could not find any definitive answers.

Now I wonder how you think I should find out which Pokémon I think is the strongest in competitive play, by base stats, by Smogon-based tier (such as OU and Uber) or by which criteria? Why?

BDBAC4C1-06C2-42A6-9A4F-7D05B6F2DF94.png

I saw this Tweet where someone made a comic out of this scene in Pokémon Ruby where Maxie and a grunt dive into the water to escape to their hideout. I never played Ruby, but did play Emerald, and can’t say I can recall this scene. I don’t really remember if I ever saw it in my Alpha Sapphire either.

Does anyone know if this scene actually happens in Ruby, and does something similar happen with Archie in Sapphire as well? And does this scene appear in ORAS too?

my budew has 5 hearts and wont evolve and its level 26. what do i do?
Budew requires high friendship to evolve. You've maxed out its Affection in Amie/Refresh, but likely not its friendship, since they're two different stats. (Budew will also only evolve when leveled up during the day, it won't evolve at all at night.)

Try giving it a Soothe Bell to hold for a while, walking around with it, or giving it some vitamins (like Iron, Calcium, Carbos, etc.) before levelling it up again. All of these things should increase friendship. :)

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom