• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

I got Fire Red off a friend at school for free because it dosen't work.It saves but when you turn the game back on it says the save file has been delted.I was wondering if like G/S/C and G/R/B/Y it won't save when the internal battrey is dry or if it has been MOD or had the internal battrey removed because where internal battery normaly is there is just a white circle and the casing is loose.Also wondering can I fix it and how?:cheers:

I got Fire Red off a friend at school for free because it dosen't work.It saves but when you turn the game back on it says the save file has been delted.I was wondering if like G/S/C and G/R/B/Y it won't save when the internal battrey is dry or if it has been MOD or had the internal battrey removed because where internal battery normaly is there is just a white circle and the casing is loose.Also wondering can I fix it and how?:cheers:

Sadly, it's a boot. If you get any message about the save file being OK or Deleted, it's a bootleg. Real FRLG carts use NVRam/Flash Memory for saving games. If you want further confirmation, look in the contacts for a Nintendo logo (Real carts have this), or rip it apart. If you see black globs, it's fake.

Fake:
GBASMW2Counterfeit.jpg

Real:
GBASMW2Genuine.jpg

These came from Nintendo's site. Note how the real one has the Nintendo logo, and uses high quality mask ROMs. If you see any bootlegs on eBay, report them and help save others from the misfortune of getting a bootleg.

i'm looking at my FireRed cart (which is legit), and there isn't any white circle inside, as FR/LG don't have batteries. just two main chips that i can see. And what do you mean the casing is loose? like when you shake the cart you hear the insides move or is the game casing falling apart? explain please.

As far as i can tell, by my guess, the game's been tampered with.

Here is a post that points out how to spot a bootleg: http://pokemon.livejournal.com/3064338.html
And here is a youtube vid using firered as an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNsEpOnzjZY&feature=player_embedded

they both helped me out a few years ago when i couldn't tell if my emerald was a fake.
Also, i was wondering, if you are playing this game on a DS, and the file deletes itself then yes, for sure its a booty.

Last edited:

Yeah man, i think that your buddy's been screwing around with the internal baterry and casing...(don't really see where that's gonna get the man)

Quick question regarding the older JP games.

Suppose I got a Japanese copy of PKMN Gold. Would it work on my GBA-SP? I don't think it would work on Stadium 2, due to the language differences, and it seems to imply on Bulbapedia that it would work on a GB-Color.

Help, please?

There isn't any regional coding on handheld games prior to Black and White, so yes, it would work.

Unless Korea became the 51st state of America...

Lucky Egg

Well I've been trying to get one in Pokémon Gold...
I caught over 30 chanseys, used Thief in like 50 chanseys now here are my questions:
>Are lucky eggs obtainable in Pokémon Gold by using thief/catching?
>Can I use Thief on the same Chansey (like, use all PPs) to try to get one or should I only use Thief once/chansey?

Waiting for answers :banana:

Re: Lucky Egg

I can't say from experience as I had never tried (I didn't know about them last time I played and chanseys are hard to find). How ever Bulbapedia does list the lucky egg as a hold item on wild chanseys. Though it is apparently only an 8% chance. Maybe you have just been unlucky.

Using thief more than once will not help you. Any pokemon can only hold one item and if you didn't get it the first time, it is not there. You are making sure you thief pokemon is not already holding something, right?

Re: Lucky Egg

Yup yup, not holding anything.
I'm just wondering because if you check bulbapedia/lucky egg section it will show:
Locations
C Held by wild Chansey
(Saying it's only available in Pokémon Crystal)

but if you check bulbapedia/chansey section it will show:
Held items:
Gold/Silver/Crystal Lucky Egg (8%)

Also, in bulbapedia section for List_of_Pokémon_by_wild_held_item
it says versions Gold, Silver and Crystal have an 8% chance of getting a lucky egg from Chansey.

The website is confusing me since it shows one thing in a section and two different in another one, I just want to know which one is right so I won't waste my time trying to get one. :banana:

From a bit of search on Google, I'm pretty sure the Lucky Egg is held by Chansey in all Gen II versions; so Gold and Silver should work, too. The hold rate is just fairly low. If you keep trying, you should get one.

An alternative (if you still have any Gen I games) would be to catch a Chansey in R/B/Y and trade it to Gold. It'll arrive holding the Lucky Egg.

There isn't any regional coding on handheld games prior to Black and White, so yes, it would work.

Unless Korea became the 51st state of America...

Wait, so it will work on the GBASp? Or just the GBColor?

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Welcome to the Simple Questions and Simple Answers thread. You guys know the drill: any general question regarding Gen V gameplay (Gens I - IV have a separate thread in The Lost Tower) that can be answered with a single reply, or a relatively short back-and-forth exchange, should be posted here--rather than a new thread being created each time someone has an issue.

For reference, the first Simple Questions thread can be found here, the second here, and the third here. The SQ/SA thread formerly of "Current Events: B&W" can now be found here. And finally, the former HeartGold/SoulSilver-specific SQ/SA thread can be found here.

I do wholeheartedly recommend that you make use of our excellent online encyclopedia, Bulbapedia, as a reference before you post a question in this thread. The answers to virtually all such questions can be found there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whoo, finally the forum's back up. I've been dying to ask these questions for a while. xD

Other than the level requirements, is there any real difference between Level 50 and Open Level in the Battle Fronteir in Emerald, like a different set of Pokemon? I wanted to use a Metagross on my team, but it doesn't learn Meteor Smash until level 55 in 3rd gen, so I was thinking of just raising my team to level 55 and entering in Open Level.

Basically, if you enter a team consisting of all level 50s, does it really matter if you choose Level 50 or Open Level?

In an entirely different question, I know you need to beat the Elite Four, get the National Dex, and get the Ruby and Sapphire key items in order to trade outside of FRLG in those games. However, does that only prevent trading between non-Kanto Dex Pokemon, or trading with RSE entirely? I want to trade a TM from my non-completed Leaf Green over to Emerald and I want to know if I need to take a detour between my completed Fire Red first. (Gen V TM System, why you no introduced earlier. ;__;)

In an entirely different question, I know you need to beat the Elite Four, get the National Dex, and get the Ruby and Sapphire key items in order to trade outside of FRLG in those games. However, does that only prevent trading between non-Kanto Dex Pokemon, or trading with RSE entirely? I want to trade a TM from my non-completed Leaf Green over to Emerald and I want to know if I need to take a detour between my completed Fire Red first. (Gen V TM System, why you no introduced earlier. ;__;)

I believe it prohibits all trading with RSE and all trading of non-Kanto Pokémon from another FRLG game.

Other than the level requirements, is there any real difference between Level 50 and Open Level in the Battle Fronteir in Emerald, like a different set of Pokemon? I wanted to use a Metagross on my team, but it doesn't learn Meteor Smash until level 55 in 3rd gen, so I was thinking of just raising my team to level 55 and entering in Open Level.

Basically, if you enter a team consisting of all level 50s, does it really matter if you choose Level 50 or Open Level?
I believe it's just the level difference, but I've only ever done the Battle Pike and Factory (the former at open level).

I believe it prohibits all trading with RSE and all trading of non-Kanto Pokémon from another FRLG game.

Correct. You'll first need to trade it over to your FireRed if you don't plan on having to complete the Ruby/Sapphire sidequest. Without the gems inserted to the machine, you can only trade with other versions in the same region, and more than likely you won't be able to obtain Johto/Hoenn Pokemon from them.

FYI, you also need to have beaten the E4 in Emerald to unlock trades with Kanto games.

Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

Ok so I have a lvl 60 haunter and a lvl 60 drapion I trained them both up at different times and now I'm wondering which one would be best to use from now on? (Only 1 space so can't use both + can't evolve haunter as don't have wifi yet)

Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

Ok so I have a lvl 60 haunter and a lvl 60 drapion I trained them both up at different times and now I'm wondering which one would be best to use from now on? (Only 1 space so can't use both + can't evolve haunter as don't have wifi yet)

post the rest of your team dude - we can go on that (basically cover weaknesses & resistances)

Thank you. ^^

Ugh, why'd the me in 2005 be so stupid and waste the only Toxic TM on something I'd never use. xD Now to just hope my Gameboy Player will still work with my Wireless Adapters because I think part of whatever was inside the part where you plug things into it broke into my Link Cable...

Quick question regarding the older JP games.

Suppose I got a Japanese copy of PKMN Gold. Would it work on my GBA-SP? I don't think it would work on Stadium 2, due to the language differences, and it seems to imply on Bulbapedia that it would work on a GB-Color.

Help, please?
I don't know about in Stadium 2, but it would work in a GBASP, as well as any GB from before(GB/GBP/GBL/GBA).

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom