• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

I don't know about in Stadium 2, but it would work in a GBASP, as well as any GB from before(GB/GBP/GBL/GBA).

Console games are locked with the same region handheld games, you would need a Japanese copy of Stadium GS for your N64. Luckily, N64 games are Region Free if you have an NTSC console, so all you need to do is cut off the notches in the console.

Cross Region Trading for Gens I/II is only recommended if you enjoy random glitches. From what I heard, Gen III was the first to support it, but I haven't tried it.

Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

Well, don't laugh but I use an all poison team. I always have (ever since yellow) cause its my favourite type and it adds a bit of difficulty to the game. Right now my team is:
Nidoking
Crobat
Tentacruel
Victreebel
Toxicroak
Drapion/haunter
I think drapion might be best because of its defense against psychic/ghost (with haunter you need to hope its faster than the psychic/ghost foe or you're done for)

Ok, I have a breeding question and I'm kind of confused on the whole 'perfect' stats thing that people tend to mention. How exactly do you know if a stat is 31 or not?

I know one indicator is the description, such as Mischevious for a Poke that has a focus on Modest. Can you get straight 31's across the board? How many stats are chosen from both male and female? Is it 3 each? Or just 3 from the male? Also, is the 31 based on their stats at level 5?

Sorry for all the questions!

Ok, I have a breeding question and I'm kind of confused on the whole 'perfect' stats thing that people tend to mention. How exactly do you know if a stat is 31 or not?

I know one indicator is the description, such as Mischevious for a Poke that has a focus on Modest. Can you get straight 31's across the board? How many stats are chosen from both male and female? Is it 3 each? Or just 3 from the male? Also, is the 31 based on their stats at level 5?

Sorry for all the questions!

(Don't be sorry for questions in a questions thread... lol :D)

To know for sure what your Pokémons IVs are the best thing is to use Action Replay. However, there are several IV calculators on the internet that is helpful to get a exact or in a range of what IVs your Pokémon have. I don't know with HG/SS; B/W, but in D/P/P there is a stat judge in Fight Area/Battle Frontier, that can say judge your Pokémons IVs, and if he says "It can't be better in that stat", the Pokémon got 31 IVs in that stat. However, there is only one stat that he's judging, so if the Pokémon got 31 IVs in two stats, it will be a problem to find out using the stat judge.

The Pokémon will have "Mischevious" if it have any of these IVs in Sp.attack: 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31 and that it's the highest of all IVs the Pokémon have in total. It could be 31, but it could also be 6 (for example). The nature has nothing to do with it really.

When you breed a Pokémon, either none, one, two or three stats are passed down from the parents. It will at max be three stats passed down, either from the father or the mother or both.

What do you mean by level 5? At level 100, a Pikachu with 0 IVs in speed will have 200 stats in speed (for example), and another Pikachu in level 100, with 31 IVs in speed, will get 231 stats in speed. (I'm not 100% sure about this, but this is what I always thought it works). And that's how it works.

(Don't be sorry for questions in a questions thread... lol :D)

To know for sure what your Pokémons IVs are the best thing is to use Action Replay. However, there are several IV calculators on the internet that is helpful to get a exact or in a range of what IVs your Pokémon have. I don't know with HG/SS; B/W, but in D/P/P there is a stat judge in Fight Area/Battle Frontier, that can say judge your Pokémons IVs, and if he says "It can't be better in that stat", the Pokémon got 31 IVs in that stat. However, there is only one stat that he's judging, so if the Pokémon got 31 IVs in two stats, it will be a problem to find out using the stat judge.

The Pokémon will have "Mischevious" if it have any of these IVs in Sp.attack: 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31 and that it's the highest of all IVs the Pokémon have in total. It could be 31, but it could also be 6 (for example). The nature has nothing to do with it really.

When you breed a Pokémon, either none, one, two or three stats are passed down from the parents. It will at max be three stats passed down, either from the father or the mother or both.

What do you mean by level 5? At level 100, a Pikachu with 0 IVs in speed will have 200 stats in speed (for example), and another Pikachu in level 100, with 31 IVs in speed, will get 231 stats in speed. (I'm not 100% sure about this, but this is what I always thought it works). And that's how it works.

Thanks for that, it clears up a lot. What I meant at level 5 was that was the level it seemed people used to determine if a stat was at "31" or not because all the older games hatched eggs starting at level 5, so the stats are different than they are now since eggs hatch at level 1. Maybe that's not really the case.

I am getting an Action Replay so I can look at stats and possibly activate old events I missed (hopefully). Just out of curiosity, do people consider captured Pokes from hacked events hacked as well? Or are they considered legit?

Thanks for that, it clears up a lot. What I meant at level 5 was that was the level it seemed people used to determine if a stat was at "31" or not because all the older games hatched eggs starting at level 5, so the stats are different than they are now since eggs hatch at level 1. Maybe that's not really the case.

I am getting an Action Replay so I can look at stats and possibly activate old events I missed (hopefully). Just out of curiosity, do people consider captured Pokes from hacked events hacked as well? Or are they considered legit?

Hm, they could use IV calculators but level 5 seem a bit to low, in my option, I usually level them around 15 before calculating. The stats are only different because of the levels, the IVs will still remain the same so it shouldn't really matter, haha.

That sounds a bit hacked for me, but I don't know what other people think or what is consider as hacked.

That sounds a bit hacked for me, but I don't know what other people think or what is consider as hacked.

Yeah, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Haven't really needed to do anything like that since most stuff is available through trading.

So... I'm thinking about EV training a Dewott. A Dewott, not a Samurott. I'm going to let it hold an Eviolite and see if it's any good. So the question is, should I get it to be a special attacker or a physical attacker?

Yeah, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Haven't really needed to do anything like that since most stuff is available through trading.

But the events are sure still availale through trading from other people, if you offer them something.

So... I'm thinking about EV training a Dewott. A Dewott, not a Samurott. I'm going to let it hold an Eviolite and see if it's any good. So the question is, should I get it to be a special attacker or a physical attacker?

Dewott got higher sp. attack, but it's attack isn't far from, so it all depends on what moves you want to use. Dewott learns both special and physical moves so... it's up to you what moves you're thinking of using and then EV train after that. =)

Dewott got higher sp. attack, but it's attack isn't far from, so it all depends on what moves you want to use. Dewott learns both special and physical moves so... it's up to you what moves you're thinking of using and then EV train after that. =)

OK, thanks, I'll do that C:

Who should I pull from my in-game teams for White's post game?

I have replayed gen 3 this past yearish at points I was bored (I just finished the final strech of Sapphire after letting it sit) so I have 3 in-game teams to pull from in addition to White. I wonder what from these teams I should (emerald) clone and use for White's post-game content (which I have barely touched). I want a balanced team without too much redundancy. I think I also have Soul Silver's E4 and Dragon Dev doubles rival to do as well.

From Sapphire
Youmu: Marowak@Thick Club: Adamant, Lighting Rod: Aerial Ace, False Swipe, Rock Slide, Earthquake.
Yuugi: Heracross: Adamant Swarm: Brick Break, Megahorn, Horn Attack, Endure
Yuuka: Cacturne@Black Glasses: Bashful Sand Veil: Leech Seed, Growth, Needle Arm, Faint Attack.
Satori: Grumpig: Modest Thick Fat: Confuse Ray, Extrasensory, Shock Wave, Icy Wind.

From XD
Jolteon: Timid: Bite, Thunder Wave, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt (Bite is going away in exchange for something else after import) Evs:
sp atk 249, sp def 1, speed 253, hp 2, def 4 (Why I decided to EV train something in-game, I don't know, I plan to fix it in emerald before cloning)
Houndoom: Bold, Flash Fire: Crunch, Flamethrower, Roar, Charm
Walrein: Rash: Ice Beam, Water Pulse, Body Slam, Mud-slap
Gardevoir: Quiet Trace: Shock Wave, Hypnosis, Calm Mind, Psychic.

From LeafGreen
Mokou: Charizard: Serious: Brick Break, Wing Attack, Flamethrower, Metal Claw.
Pyonta: Poliwrath: Jolly Water Absorb: Focus Punch, Hypnosis, Surf, Body Slam.
Boota: Dugtrio: Jolly, Arena Trap: Mud-Slap, Aerial Ace, Earthquake, Rock Slide.
Wriggle: Butterfree: Naive: Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, Psychic.

From White
O-Chul: Samurott: Jolly: Revenge, Night Slash, X-Scissor, Waterfall
Hee-Ho, Chandelure, Modest Flash Fire: Smog, Shadow Ball, Flamethrower, Will-o-Wisp
Kaminadile: Krookodile: Adamant Intimidate: Rock Slide, Brick Break, Earthquake, Crunch
Yamame: Galvantula: Timid, Compoundeyes: Thunder Signal Beam, Spider Web, Thunder Wave
Smoky: Stoutland: Jolly, Intimidate: Work Up, Ice Fang, Return, Crunch.

(Well this isn't exactly a SIMPLE question...)

Last edited:

However, there is only one stat that he's judging, so if the Pokémon got 31 IVs in two stats, it will be a problem to find out using the stat judge.

Maybe in gen4, but in gen5 he will tell you if two or more stats have 31s.

Maybe in gen4, but in gen5 he will tell you if two or more stats have 31s.

Oh that's nice. What city is he located in?

But the events are sure still availale through trading from other people, if you offer them something.

Correct, however, you miss out on the story line aspect of the events themselves - like with Victini/Zorua - which I find very irritating. Many of them are pretty uninteresting since you just pick up an egg, but both those events were actually pretty well done IMO.

Well, don't laugh but I use an all poison team. I always have (ever since yellow) cause its my favourite type and it adds a bit of difficulty to the game. Right now my team is:
Nidoking
Crobat
Tentacruel
Victreebel
Toxicroak
Drapion/haunter
I think drapion might be best because of its defense against psychic/ghost (with haunter you need to hope its faster than the psychic/ghost foe or you're done for)

this is a really good site for seeing what weaknesses your team has: Pokemon.Marriland.com - Diamond / Pearl Team Builder now it looks like psychic/ground/ice are the biggest threats - gengar has an immunity to ground & can hit hard/fast with shadow ball to take out psychics - can learn icy wind & energy ball to hit ground types fast - plus ice types are rarely a threat (although if you get HP fire you're laughing!) speed is almost never an issue in game as gengar is fast anyway & if you're slower just level up a bit - drapion runs the risk of getting burned & that can seriously ruin any sweep plans...

tl;dr - i prefer gengar personally but both are cool

(have you considered skuntank? a mixed attacker with sucker punch & fire blast / flamethrower can be pretty scary!)

what nature is it? sounds obvious but if it's +Atk (or -SpA) then go with physical attacker / if it's the other way round go for a special attacker / if it's neutral regarding Atk & SpA then you can always teach it swords dance so i'd recommend physical

Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

I don't know about in Stadium 2, but it would work in a GBASP, as well as any GB from before(GB/GBP/GBL/GBA).

OK, thanks. Now I just gotta see if it's still there...

Console games are locked with the same region handheld games, you would need a Japanese copy of Stadium GS for your N64. Luckily, N64 games are Region Free if you have an NTSC console, so all you need to do is cut off the notches in the console.

What notches? And I'm 96% sure the one I have is from '96, and it is guaranteed to have been bought in the U.S.A.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom