• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: What is a good Pokemon Black Team?

That's just great! Thanks a lot. Btw, is it the same in Pearl? I've only played Platinum and there you have to kill/catch Giratina to complete the game, right? Is it the same in Pearl but Palkia instead? If it is, can I kill it and make it respawn later?

No, sorry Palkia doesn't respawn :(

Re: IV BREEDING?

Let's see if i understand this correctly..

If i'm breeding a compatible pair, both with a perfect IV in different stats (let's say..Speed and Attack for the sake of this example), what would happen if:

-- i gave each parent an EV-enhancing item for their respective perfect iv? would there be a chance that (if) the child had inherited the iv of the parent holding the speed EV-enhancing item, could that iv be overwritten by the other parent's speed iv during the random iv selection phase? or is it safe once determined?

-- i gave each parent the same EV-enhancing item? would there be a chance that one can just override the other, or more likely, is there is a higher chance that that specific iv would be inherited from a parent? (let's say for this example both parents have a perfect 31 in the same stat)

i wrote this while tired so if you don't understand what i'm asking, let me know cuz i'm curious :)

Last edited:
Re: IV BREEDING?

Let's see if i understand this correctly..

If i'm breeding a compatible pair, both with a perfect IV in different stats (let's say..Speed and HP for the sake of this example), what would happen if:

-- i gave each parent an EV-enhancing item for their respective perfect iv? would there be a chance that (if) the child had inherited the iv of the parent holding the speed EV-enhancing item, could that iv be overwritten by the other parent's speed iv during the random iv selection phase? or is it safe once determined?

-- i gave each parent the same EV-enhancing item? would there be a chance that one can just override the other, or more likely, is there is a higher chance that that specific iv would be inherited from a parent? (let's say for this example both parents have a perfect 31 in the same stat)

i wrote this while tired so if you don't understand what i'm asking, let me know cuz i'm curious :)

A bit hard to understand yes, but as far as I know, only ONE power item will work even if you have it on both your parents and it will ALWAYS work. Which one, I'm unsure about. About question number two... what do you mean?

Still the same as whiting out/making it faint.

Well, fuck. Anyway, thanks for answering!

Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

@woaska
hmm? it was to my understanding that the items wouldn't work 100% of the time, only encourage that iv to be chosen :eek:
but if this is true, then this is news to me! yay :)

as for Q #2, i mean like..

Let's say 2 pokemon both have perfect Speed, mk? And i really want that IV passed to the egg. If i give both parents a Power Anklet, is it now even more likely the baby will inherit the perfect speed iv from it's parents, or is that probability the same if only 1 parent has the anklet? (bottom line: does giving the same iv item to both parents help the odds of the baby getting that iv as opposed to only one of the parents holding the iv item?)

@woaska
hmm? it was to my understanding that the items wouldn't work 100% of the time, only encourage that iv to be chosen :eek:
but if this is true, then this is news to me! yay :)

as for Q #2, i mean like..

Let's say 2 pokemon both have perfect Speed, mk? And i really want that IV passed to the egg. If i give both parents a Power Anklet, is it now even more likely the baby will inherit the perfect speed iv from it's parents, or is that probability the same if only 1 parent has the anklet? (bottom line: does giving the same iv item to both parents help the odds of the baby getting that iv as opposed to only one of the parents holding the iv item?)

That's wrong. The EV-items work to 100% when breeding. Having a 31 IV'd attack Shellder holding a Power Bracer and breed with whatever, will result in offsprings with 31 IVs in attack, ALL will have it. (For example)

As I just explained, only one item is needed. A good combo is a power-item on one parent, an everstone on the other one (if the parent have the nature you want for your offspring.

Also, is it possible that two other IVs from your parents will be passed down to your offspring, but you can't do anything to control it (unless you doing RNGing). And the other three will always be complete random. But maybe you already knew that. :]

That's wrong. The EV-items work to 100% when breeding. Having a 31 IV'd attack Shellder holding a Power Bracer and breed with whatever, will result in offsprings with 31 IVs in attack, ALL will have it. (For example)

As I just explained, only one item is needed. A good combo is a power-item on one parent, an everstone on the other one (if the parent have the nature you want for your offspring.

Also, is it possible that two other IVs from your parents will be passed down to your offspring, but you can't do anything to control it (unless you doing RNGing). And the other three will always be complete random. But maybe you already knew that. :]

Mk great, thanks for clearing that up :D

Ya, i knew about the 3 random bits, though i had read from different sources (though outdated) that during the phase when the game chooses at random something to pass down, that it is possible for the same iv stat to be chosen, thus overwriting the previously chosen iv passed down (either by help of power item or by sheer randomness). So, going along with your example, even if the game gives the offspring the 31 in attack thanks to the power brace, (based on what i've read from smogon) can that be overwritten with another iv when it later goes on to determine the last 2 ivs (from the parents) to be passed on?

ie..
-parent A passes on 31 in attk (holding power item)
--offspring now has 31 in atk.
---parent B is chosen to pass on atk.(6) and sp.atk. (19)
----offspring now has a 6 in atk and 19 in sp.atk.

Ya, i knew about the 3 random bits, though i had read from different sources (though outdated) that during the phase when the game chooses at random something to pass down, that it is possible for the same iv stat to be chosen, thus overwriting the previously chosen iv passed down (either by help of power item or by sheer randomness). So, going along with your example, even if the game gives the offspring the 31 in attack thanks to the power brace, (based on what i've read from smogon) can that be overwritten with another iv when it later goes on to determine the last 2 ivs (from the parents) to be passed on?

To be honest, I know very little about this overwriting stuff. I have never experience that another IV been in the place where I got the power item, so I would say, you're pretty safe with it, haha.

To be honest, I know very little about this overwriting stuff. I have never experience that another IV been in the place where I got the power item, so I would say, you're pretty safe with it, haha.

i hope you're right lol

if anyone else would like to hop in on this, feel free to enlighten me cuz i want to get to know the ins and outs of this stuff before i get frustrated while trying it 1st hand lol

Re: What is a good Pokemon Black Team?

That's just great! Thanks a lot. Btw, is it the same in Pearl? I've only played Platinum and there you have to kill/catch Giratina to complete the game, right? Is it the same in Pearl but Palkia instead? If it is, can I kill it and make it respawn later?

On behalf of PkmnGreen, lol, yes. At Turnback Cave I believe.

EDIT: my bad, I thought you meant Giratina. If you mean Palkia, then I'm unsure.

i hope you're right lol

if anyone else would like to hop in on this, feel free to enlighten me cuz i want to get to know the ins and outs of this stuff before i get frustrated while trying it 1st hand lol

Well, I can't tell you I'm 100% sure because I've no source. But to be honest, I breed a lot of Pokémons, I check their IVs and the power item stat have never been anything different than the parents holding the item (31).

All I can tell you is to look it up on bulbapedia, I would do but I'm to lazy at the moment, I'll edit my reply once I'm feeling no-lazy(!), if you haven't confirmed by yourself first though.

ie..
-parent A passes on 31 in attk (holding power item)
--offspring now has 31 in atk.
---parent B is chosen to pass on atk.(6) and sp.atk. (19)
----offspring now has a 6 in atk and 19 in sp.atk.

It is 100% guaranteed that one parent with one power item will pass that stat on. I've done it enough to be sure.

If you have one power item on each pokemon you are guaranteed to get one of those stats, I'm pretty sure that which one is chosen at random. If you get both, it was luck. It's usually safest to just put one item on one parent to be safe though.

Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

I have a question about emerald's battle frontier. I've just started with the battle frontier a little while ago and still haven't managed to get a streak long enough to go up against a frontier brain (I was close for battle factory tho!). When I finally get to this point will they approach you independently after you are back in the lobby of a battle facility or will they just replace one of those random NPC's you face during a run in a facility? Do you have an option of leaving and coming back at a later time to challenge them? Can u get a rematch with a frontier brain if you lose right away or have to go do a streak all over again?

@AshK

The frontier Brain is the last NPC you challenge that round.
You can save like you can inbetween other rounds, but if you reset or lose, you have to start over from round 1 and work your way back up to them.
Which means fighting them twice if you lost on the match for the Gold symbol

@AshK

The frontier Brain is the last NPC you challenge that round.
You can save like you can inbetween other rounds, but if you reset or lose, you have to start over from round 1 and work your way back up to them.
Which means fighting them twice if you lost on the match for the Gold symbol

Thanks for quick reply! ugh, its gonna be so painful to get the gold symbols for facilities like battle factory and battle tower but o well.

Well, I can't tell you I'm 100% sure because I've no source. But to be honest, I breed a lot of Pokémons, I check their IVs and the power item stat have never been anything different than the parents holding the item (31).

All I can tell you is to look it up on bulbapedia, I would do but I'm to lazy at the moment, I'll edit my reply once I'm feeling no-lazy(!), if you haven't confirmed by yourself first though.

It is 100% guaranteed that one parent with one power item will pass that stat on. I've done it enough to be sure.

If you have one power item on each pokemon you are guaranteed to get one of those stats, I'm pretty sure that which one is chosen at random. If you get both, it was luck. It's usually safest to just put one item on one parent to be safe though.

ya, i've already check bulbapedia, and thanks guys. i guess the only other way for me to be sure myself, is to try this stuff again 1st hand :)
thanks again guys for all the help! :D

Does anyone have any tips for the Visual contest in the DPPt Super Contests? I'm trying the Cool Contest Master rank (I got the Cute and Smart Master rank ribbons), and my pokemon is holding the Red Scarf, but I can't seem to get more than 6 hearts (And I'm usually ending up with 5, while the other contestants get 6-8). Sadly, my Pokemon's Sheen is full so I can't feed it any more Poffins, but the Cool stat is more than halfway (I tried to balance it out as best as possible between the 5 stats).

Is there anything else I can do to get more hearts (I've been trying to match the themes as best as possible)?

i need help picking movesets for my current team

i am currently using:
Lapras
Crobat
Tyranitar
Infernape
Garchomp
Eelektross

I am also not sure if i should keep lapras, i would like to hear suggestions for any better ice types

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom