• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

Goal; Obtain a charmander with ancientpower AND dragon pulse
Question/s: Is this possible via any other method than breeding a charmander in Gen 4 with ancientpower then teaching it dragon pulse with a TM? Would it be possible to obtain any charizard that already knows both moves and use that charizard to breed my own with the same moves in gen 5?

i need help picking movesets for my current team

i am currently using:
Lapras
Crobat
Tyranitar
Infernape
Garchomp
Eelektross

I am also not sure if i should keep lapras, i would like to hear suggestions for any better ice types

For Infernape, I went with:
Stone Edge
Shadow Claw
Overheat
Close Combat
Hope this helped :)

Lapras:
Tbh, you'd be doing better with Kyurem or Weavile really. Or no Ice types at all.
But if you insist, I guess:
Lapras @ LO
Dance / Ice Shard / Body Slam / Waterfall

Crobat @ Sash (Lead)
Super Fang / Pursuit / Brave Bird / Toxic
144 HP /52 Atk / 56 Def / 252 Spe

Goal; Obtain a charmander with ancientpower AND dragon pulse
Would it be possible to obtain any charizard that already knows both moves and use that charizard to breed my own with the same moves in gen 5?

Yes. Both AncientPower and Dragon Pulse are egg moves for Charmander in gen V.

Edit: I got a question. Is there a list of what names that are banned in gen V? Btw, are those name for both Pokémon and trainers or...?

Last edited:

@.Johto Trainer: Unfortunately, Master Rank contests are very difficult to win unless you've been breeding your Pokémon for a specific kind of contest - you'd be much better off by training five Pokémon - one for each specific kind of contest - or simply focusing on obtaining Master Rank in a single category. What you've done with your Pokémon is turned it into a jack of all trades, master of none. Your best bet is to train a new Pokémon for the cool contests and specifically raise its "cool" rating to maximum. The two categories directly next to it on the "contest pentagon," in this case "Beauty" and "Toughness," also influence your rating slightly, but the main draw is in the category you're aiming at. You're doing everything else right - you just tried to make it cover too many categories at one.

@.linny_456: It depends on what you're aiming for. If you're just trying to train a team to beat the storyline, most teams will be able to do so easily with enough leveling, so you can use whatever you like. If you're aiming for a competitive team, you're much better off creating a thread in this forum.

@.Mason LMS: Yes, it is possible. However, AncientPower would have to be bred onto a G.III or G.IV Charmander, which would be later taught Dragon Pulse as a Charizard (which is only an available TM in G.IV). The reasoning for this is that these two moves are impossible to breed onto the same Charmander in BW, as they must be passed down from two different parents, and egg moves can only be passed down by the father.

@.woaska: There is no official list of what is and isn't banned in regards to names on Wi-fi. However, you shouldn't have any problem as long as you aren't giving your Pokémon or character vulgar names.

Last edited:

@.woaska: There is no official list of what is and isn't banned in regards to names on Wi-fi. However, you shouldn't have any problem as long as you aren't giving your Pokémon or character vulgar names.

So I can have them in game but not on wi-fi or what? To be honest, could you/someone explain how that word "filter" works? I haven't tried to name my pokémon/character any vulgar names, but if I would, will it say something like "you can't name you Pokémon that!" or will it automatic change into a basic name such as the character's basic name (Black/White) or the Pokémon's basic name?

What about imported Pokémon from gen IV?

Last edited:

@.woasaka: There is nothing within the game itself to prevent you from naming your Pokémon or trainer whatever you like, as the "filter" is kept as part of Nintendo's database so that it can be updated, so the restriction only exists over Wi-fi. As for the effects, any inappropriately-named Pokémon used in Wi-fi battles will have their name displayed as the default species name, including when viewed in Battle Videos. I believe that any Pokémon using inappropriate names over trading will have their nicknames similarly defaulted to their species name for display purposes, with these nicknames being erased if a trade is initiated, though I am unsure about the actual trading restrictions. These rules apply to all Pokémon, regardless of what game they were originally obtained in.

Again, if you aren't trying to test the filter or using names inappropriate for children, I wouldn't worry about it.

@.RioTDoll: "Backpacker" is not an available avatar option for male characters. In B/W, your options for multiplayer avatars will not change on restarting the game, as all eight options (Kindergartener, Youngster, Ace Trainer, Ranger, Breeder, Researcher, Hiker and Skinhead) are available to all male-character players. You are restricted to those eight options, I'm afraid.

Pokemon white 3DS

Hey everyone, I have pokemon white for the 3DS, but i cant find where to get the TM for Stength....any answers? Iv beat all the gyms already

Re: Pokemon white 3DS

Hey everyone, I have pokemon white for the 3DS, but i cant find where to get the TM for Stength....any answers? Iv beat all the gyms already

It's in Nimbasa City, in a building north west of the Pokémon Centre.

@.Johto Trainer: Unfortunately, Master Rank contests are very difficult to win unless you've been breeding your Pokémon for a specific kind of contest - you'd be much better off by training five Pokémon - one for each specific kind of contest - or simply focusing on obtaining Master Rank in a single category. What you've done with your Pokémon is turned it into a jack of all trades, master of none. Your best bet is to train a new Pokémon for the cool contests and specifically raise its "cool" rating to maximum. The two categories directly next to it on the "contest pentagon," in this case "Beauty" and "Toughness," also influence your rating slightly, but the main draw is in the category you're aiming at. You're doing everything else right - you just tried to make it cover too many categories at one.

Yeah, I know, but I wanted to beat all 5 Master Rank contests with this one pokemon. :(

So, I guess I'll just have to get lucky in the appearance part xD Thanks!

Does anyone have any tips for the Visual contest in the DPPt Super Contests? I'm trying the Cool Contest Master rank (I got the Cute and Smart Master rank ribbons), and my pokemon is holding the Red Scarf, but I can't seem to get more than 6 hearts (And I'm usually ending up with 5, while the other contestants get 6-8). Sadly, my Pokemon's Sheen is full so I can't feed it any more Poffins, but the Cool stat is more than halfway (I tried to balance it out as best as possible between the 5 stats).

Is there anything else I can do to get more hearts (I've been trying to match the themes as best as possible)?

It's actually not that difficult. I've managed to get a single Dragonite with all the abilities, and trust me, contests require no breeding unless you wanted a specific nature.

First, six (or even five) isn't that bad. I've won with that much. You have two other rounds to make it up. What are the colours of your hearts? Pink or red? The red hearts depend on the Pokemon's condition, the pink hearts on how you dress it up (you may want to check with the game itself at the contest hall). Platinum made getting well rounded conditions fairly easy with the ability to buy poffin at the department store basement in Veilstone. Just rotate between each type of poffin, feeding one type at a time. Your Pokemon, preferably would have a neutral nature. Or, if you have friends, make poffins yourself.

The key to the first round after getting your conditions is knowing what accessories to use. This should help. Just see what the theme is, close your DS so it auto-pauses and jot down which of those accessories would work for you.

As for the dance round, you just need to have good tempo.

The appeals round, I generally have a simple four-move formula that I can't quite remember.

->4 hearts if move first/last
->move first/last next turn
->Double heart next turn
->General appeal move

A master of none? My Dragonite would be insulted. Granted, it won all these ribbons pre-E4 meaning I didn't have to fight people like Fantina, though in their case, you just have to get lucky depending on what contest they're in, they can be impossible.

Last edited:

@.woasaka: There is nothing within the game itself to prevent you from naming your Pokémon or trainer whatever you like, as the "filter" is kept as part of Nintendo's database so that it can be updated, so the restriction only exists over Wi-fi. As for the effects, any inappropriately-named Pokémon used in Wi-fi battles will have their name displayed as the default species name, including when viewed in Battle Videos. I believe that any Pokémon using inappropriate names over trading will have their nicknames similarly defaulted to their species name for display purposes, with these nicknames being erased if a trade is initiated, though I am unsure about the actual trading restrictions. These rules apply to all Pokémon, regardless of what game they were originally obtained in.

Again, if you aren't trying to test the filter or using names inappropriate for children, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for answering, btw, your mentions, the @-name- doesn't work.
Well, does drug-name counts?

Edit: New question, or rather a problem. Not quite sure if this is the right thread but here I go;

See, I ordered a shell for DS because my was broken, when I was going to change it though, I couldn't get one part away (the brown thing that connects the DS motherboard(I think?) to the upper screen. So I fixed all together as it was and just thought "fuck it". When I started my game, both my screens are sort of striped and blurry in one way. You know maybe those old TV's, when you had a bad connection or just a bad VHS-tape, the picture could be sort of striped and moving? Same thing to my screen on my DS.

What is causing this? Is it the brown thing I tried to remove? Is it able to fix or should I just either considering buying a new DS or just accept the fact that in the future I'll have to play with a broken-ish screen?

Last edited:

@.woasaka: I'm trying to avoid the mentions, actually. I don't know if "drug" names count, but I wouldn't try it.

It's actually not that difficult. I've managed to get a single Dragonite with all the abilities, and trust me, contests require no breeding unless you wanted a specific nature.

First, six (or even five) isn't that bad. I've won with that much. You have two other rounds to make it up. What are the colours of your hearts? Pink or red? The red hearts depend on the Pokemon's condition, the pink hearts on how you dress it up (you may want to check with the game itself at the contest hall). Platinum made getting well rounded conditions fairly easy with the ability to buy poffin at the department store basement in Veilstone. Just rotate between each type of poffin, feeding one type at a time. Your Pokemon, preferably would have a neutral nature. Or, if you have friends, make poffins yourself.

The key to the first round after getting your conditions is knowing what accessories to use. This should help. Just see what the theme is, close your DS so it auto-pauses and jot down which of those accessories would work for you.

As for the dance round, you just need to have good tempo.

The appeals round, I generally have a simple four-move formula that I can't quite remember.

->4 hearts if move first/last
->move first/last next turn
->Double heart next turn
->General appeal move

A master of none? My Dragonite would be insulted. Granted, it won all these ribbons pre-E4 meaning I didn't have to fight people like Fantina, though in their case, you just have to get lucky depending on what contest they're in, they can be impossible.

Wow, thanks! I finally won! Now I just need to win the Tough Contests and Beauty contests and I'll have all the contest ribbons ^^ (Except Gen. 3 ones, of course)

Is there a difference between the natures of Bashful, Docile, Hardy, Quirky and Serious? In the Nature Bulbapedia page it says that all of them don't make any changes to the stats or have a favourite or disliked flavour.

@.woasaka: I'm trying to avoid the mentions, actually. I don't know if "drug" names count, but I wouldn't try it.

It's woaska, but maybe you wrote that wrong on purpose too? Why using the @ then, lol.

Is there a difference between the natures of Bashful, Docile, Hardy, Quirky and Serious? In the Nature Bulbapedia page it says that all of them don't make any changes to the stats or have a favourite or disliked flavour.

Nope, no difference.

As far as I know, the only difference is the effect they have on Pokéathlon stats in HGSS.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom