• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

I've got a question that I'm curious about. I've heard people say that breeding wasn't possible until the gen 2 games. If that's true, how did people get the starter Pokemon they didn't choose in the gen 1 games before gen 2 came out? o_O

I have all 3 on red. All I did was get 2 games and restart one of them untill I had the 3.

I've got a question that I'm curious about. I've heard people say that breeding wasn't possible until the gen 2 games. If that's true, how did people get the starter Pokemon they didn't choose in the gen 1 games before gen 2 came out? o_O

Just get pokemon yellow. Before you are even half way through the game you can get all 3 of the blue/red starters. Better then looking up how to exploit a glitch. Yellow is the much less glitchy version of the previous 2 gen 1 games anyways.

I never said I wanted one of the gen 1 games. I was only curious. I have no need for RBY since I have FR/LG.

In the battle Subway, there's the guy who judges a pokemon's IVs. Sometimes I see him say, "It's best potential lies in X. I see. It's Y is also good. <Rating>"

Does this mean stats X and Y are equal?

Also, RE: All starters in Gen I.

It was fairly common, in those days(at least in my area), to see two or more friends decide to start new files together. Player A would start up as normal, pick, say, bulbasaur, and just catch a bunch of rattata and pidgey. Then Player B would start up, choose squirtle, and trade it to Player A for a rattata as soon as he could get to the pokecenter. Then Player B would restart, getting another squirtle, and trading it over, then twice more for two charmanders, piling up all these extra starters on Player A's file. Finally, Player B would start his "real" file, pick bulbasaur and get the other starters from Player A. It'd take maybe half an hour, then you both have all three starters.

Last edited:
Re: Simple Questions and Simple Answers

What nature does your Feebas have?

It's recommended that it has either Modest, Mild, Rash, or Quiet in order to max out its beauty stat and evolve, since those natures gain a bonus to beauty stat increases. With Adamant, Careful, Impish, and Jolly natures, its impossible to max out the beauty stat.

calm (-Atk,+SpDef). i actually did some research and found out since its sheen is maxed i cant eat any more poffins and, therefore, will be unable to evolve D:(what a waste). but thanks for the tip on natures

calm (-Atk,+SpDef). i actually did some research and found out since its sheen is maxed i cant eat any more poffins and, therefore, will be unable to evolve D:(what a waste). but thanks for the tip on natures

If you send it to HeartGold/SoulSilver you can give it massages (either in the GoldenRod Underground Basement, or Daisy Oak back in Pallet Town) and that raises its beauty stat.

Alternatively, you can send it to a generation V game and give it the Prism Scale, and trade it to another gen V game to evolve it.

What is the difference between legit and non legit ookemon?

im trying to find out the advantages and the downside of them.... but i dont know../

Re: What is the difference between legit and non legit ookemon?

Legit Pokemon, you mean the game itself (As in, a real copy like Ruby or Sapphire or a hacked copy like ChaosBlack?) or a Pokemon creature (A Venasaur you got from Oak or someone who gives you a starter and leveled up to 100 or a Venasaur you used an Action Replay to get already at 100?) itself?

If you are talking about the actual creatures, then the main downsides are:
1. you could corrupt your game
and
2. You will be disqualified from any and every Pokemon tournament unless rules say otherwise.

I have been wondering, in pokemon mystery dungeon EoS, what does it mean when you find an item in a dungeon randomly that has a small red 'x' in front of its name? I've mainly only seen them for find target item missions, but when you pick them up like this, nothing out of the ordinary happens?

Nevermind, turns out those items are "sticky".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you send it to HeartGold/SoulSilver you can give it massages (either in the GoldenRod Underground Basement, or Daisy Oak back in Pallet Town) and that raises its beauty stat.

Alternatively, you can send it to a generation V game and give it the Prism Scale, and trade it to another gen V game to evolve it.

You can also try sending one over to someone who has Pt, as you can buy dry poffins to do the trick (I bought dry-sweet poffins since they don't sell straight up dry ones, worked for me just fine).

Last edited:

In the battle Subway, there's the guy who judges a pokemon's IVs. Sometimes I see him say, "It's best potential lies in X. I see. It's Y is also good. <Rating>"

Does this mean stats X and Y are equal?

Also, RE: All starters in Gen I.

It was fairly common, in those days(at least in my area), to see two or more friends decide to start new files together. Player A would start up as normal, pick, say, bulbasaur, and just catch a bunch of rattata and pidgey. Then Player B would start up, choose squirtle, and trade it to Player A for a rattata as soon as he could get to the pokecenter. Then Player B would restart, getting another squirtle, and trading it over, then twice more for two charmanders, piling up all these extra starters on Player A's file. Finally, Player B would start his "real" file, pick bulbasaur and get the other starters from Player A. It'd take maybe half an hour, then you both have all three starters.

to stat thing: lets say x=hp and y=speed. it means hp is its best IV, and that speed is it's second best.

the second thing wasnt a question, and this i cannot answer it

a legit poke is a pokemon obtained by legitimate means. that means that you have to A) catch it and level it up in game B) receive it in a trade* C) get it from an event or D) dream world. an unlegitimate poke is one obtained or leveled up with an AR (action replay), or obtained by some other external means that isn't dream world. also, any pokemon you have that has a move or ability it can't learn, an impossible amount of EVs, and/or IV and EV combination where the stats don't make sense.

advantages: they can be extremely powerful and useful. for example, you can get a spiritomb with wondergaurd and use an AR to heal whenever you want to (status causes damage). then give it such excellent coverage and stats that it can't be beat.

disadvantages: You cannot use them competitively. they will ban you. also, it saps the fun from the game. it's like taking a roman legion on with nuclear weaponry. to blatantly easy.

*please note that unlegit pokes can be obtained in a trade, but trading counts as a legitimate capture method. you could get it checked on a hack-check thread. i haven't seen one here, but i know there is one on serebii forums.

*please note that unlegit pokes can be obtained in a trade, but trading counts as a legitimate capture method. you could get it checked on a hack-check thread. i haven't seen one here, but i know there is one on serebii forums.

I'm pretty confident that a check at a tournament will make sure if your Pokemon's illegal... I haven't tried to find out for myself, but I'm positive this shiny Charmander with its Dream World Ability, caught at Entree forest, is going to DQ me from anything official. granted, I did get it from a trade, and I EV trained it myself, but so help me if I try going on something official and it lets me through... I will be absolutely STUNNED

Pokemon Species:
Nickname:
OT:
OT Gender: (red=female, blue=male)
IDno:
Shiny?:
EV's: (if known)
IV's: (if known)
Nature:
Characteristic:
Ability:
Moves:
Level Caught at:
Current Level:
Stats:
Location Caught:
Egg?:
Pokeball Caught In:
Any other notes?:

fill this out for me and i can let you know if it's a hack.

to stat thing: lets say x=hp and y=speed. it means hp is its best IV, and that speed is it's second best.

the second thing wasnt a question, and this i cannot answer it

I thought that ment the stats were equal in IV's?

Does anyone know why in the games pre-Gen IV grass could be cut away in patches, but starting with DP that option vanished?

I think "equally good" means they are the same, not "also good".

I think "equally good" means they are the same, not "also good".

but it doesn't say equally good. it said "also good". that means it has it's 2 best stats, and if they are the same, then they are still both good (or bad, if you have bad IVs)

Does anyone know why in the games pre-Gen IV grass could be cut away in patches, but starting with DP that option vanished?

I think the reason is because it was really unnecessary. I miss it too.

Legit Pokemon are the only kind you can use in offical tournaments. If you catch a Pokemon or obtain it from an event, it's legit.

Hacked Pokemon are Pokemon obtained via other sources, either by glitching, Action Replay/GameSharking, or the GTS Exploit. If they look legit, you can use them on Wi-Fi/unoffical tourneys, but offical tourneys ban you for everything.

According to one gamefaqs post, the hack checks kick you for even having too many master balls:

i don't know how they check it, but they do check the whole cartridge, not just your party. Some people even got booted for having to many of certain items (like 100s of masterballs).

While other posts claim that only Nintendo knows:

The honest answer is we have no idea as no one outside of those employed by The Pokemon Company (who host the tournaments) has any real knowledge of the machine outside of what individuals witnessed at tournaments.

tl;dr, if you play the game normally, you won't have to worry.

There was someone who said they got an "equally good" response.

I'm trying to say that "no, also good" does not mean they are both the same. It's best, and then second best.

I'm just going through what I've heard, though.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom