• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: What is the difference between legit and non legit ookemon?

The answer also depends on where you go... if you go on sites like Smogon where people say "I use legit hacks only" or something like that, it means they used an action replay OR this weird IV glitch (which is abusing a glitch in-game but doesn't give you impossible stats).

To make a "legit" pokémon you have to give it IVs (hidden stat values) of 31 each or lower and a total of EVs (stat thing) of less than... oh god... 508? with no more than 252 in one stat. There is more information that must be added to the action replay code to make it legitimate, including having the right OT (original trainer) ID and that trainer's Secret ID (which you usually use an AR to find). They also cannot know any moves that it is otherwise impossible to learn, and their IVs must match up to their characteristic. You cannot have a starter pokémon in an ultra ball or a Mew found on route 1 (or some other impossible location).

At Nintendo tournaments they verify it more heavily than do regional tournaments by looking at your actual game cart. At smaller regional tournaments people will check what I listed above, but as long as there is nothing impossible about your pokémon (hidden stuff included) they will not bar you from playing.

tl;dr Smogon "legit hacks" mean you hack pokémon with non-impossible stats because you are too lazy to breed them yourself.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Remember, if you use an Action Replay or a GameShark etc on your game, it will be marked as such. I've known people who have been disqualified from official tournaments for hacking a single TM and hell, one of my friend's got DC'd because TPCi forgot to update their hack-check to allow the 2009 Worlds Weavile (which knew Fake Out).

I probably shouldn't be saying this as I'm against the whole practice myself, but hacked Pokémon can get through, as long as all their information matches up to a legitimate Pokémon and if it is traded to a game that hasn't used any such cheating device. The majority of the western Worlds competitors did precisely that - they created their teams using elaborate programs (which I shall not name) and traded the Pokémon to their main games. However, you have to be very careful with that - 2010's UK's runner-up was disqualified from Worlds because someone used said program to raise his Pokémon and accidentally gave his Giratina two extra EVs; meaning it broke the limit. It really is a practice where even the smallest screw up could end it all.

How do you get tepig/snivy eggs?

How do you get tepig/snivy eggs?
You need to breed a Pokemon in the Tepig or Snivy line with a Ditto or another compitable Pokemon in the same Egg group by putting both Pokemon in the Daycare on Rt 3.

Re: Simple Questions and Simple Answers

In SS, does attaching an Everstone to a Ditto actually work? Because so far I have 0 Adamant Cacnea, and I have an Everstone on an Adamant Ditto in the daycare :/

Hi, need help finding a good fire type and electric type in early stages of Gold.
Screenshot by Lightshot
Thats my current team, if any of them is an absolute crap choice please point it out.

Retarted my Ruby game. I want my team to have a theme going in terms of members and names. I'm going for an Okami theme. I've already named my Torchic Moerutama: "Moeru" meaning "burning" and references Moegami, the Brush God who gives you Inferno. "Tama" meaning "jewel", named after Tama The Flaming Pyrotechnist who help you learn Cherry Bomb, together we get "burning jewel"! I'll call him Moe for short.

Now, my old Ruby team had Moegami (Blaziken), Amaterasu (Mightyena), Waka (Xatu), Otohime (Wailord), Yomigami (Flygon), and Issun (Ninjask). I'm thinking about rearranging my team a little, including possibly getting a Milotic instead of Wailord. Only problem is, my internal clock on my cartridge has run dry (it was used), and I hear that effects something to do about berries? Is it impossible now?!

Also, any advice for what I should get for an Okami styled team, name-wise and members-wise? I've only played the original btw.

Hi, need help finding a good fire type and electric type in early stages of Gold.
Screenshot by Lightshot
Thats my current team, if any of them is an absolute crap choice please point it out.

Mareep can be found early in the game and is a really good electric type. As for fire,besides Typhlosion which I assume you can't get since you picked Totodile,there aren't any fire types until Ecruteak City where you can get Growlithe which is one of the best fire types ever.

As for the team,almost anything is good. Add Eevee that Bill gives you and if I were you I'd try to get the Dratini from Game Corner in Goldenrod. Having one early in the games helps a lot.

I want a Poochyena on my Ruby team. Do I go for Adamant, which raises Attack and is a good stat for Mightyena? or should I go for Modest, seeing as Dark is Special in this game anyway?

In SS, does attaching an Everstone to a Ditto actually work? Because so far I have 0 Adamant Cacnea, and I have an Everstone on an Adamant Ditto in the daycare :/

This might be your problem:
Bulbapedia Article: Pokémon Breeding said:
In Generation IV, in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, inheriting natures remains the same as in Emerald. However, in the Johto remakes, HeartGold and SoulSilver, inheriting Nature was changed a little. Whichever Pokémon is holding an Everstone will pass down its nature, regardless of gender, or whether it is breeding with a Ditto. Another minor change that is present in all Generation IV games, is that the passing on of natures via an Everstone will not work if the Pokémon are from different real world countries (e.g. Argentina and Spain). This restriction is lifted in Generation V.

Retarted my Ruby game. Now, my old Ruby team had Moegami (Blaziken), Amaterasu (Mightyena), Waka (Xatu), Otohime (Wailord), Yomigami (Flygon), and Issun (Ninjask). I'm thinking about rearranging my team a little, including possibly getting a Milotic instead of Wailord. Only problem is, my internal clock on my cartridge has run dry (it was used), and I hear that effects something to do about berries? Is it impossible now?!

A dry battery prevents berries from growing (so if all your berries are in stage 2 of growth, they're stage 2 forever), and the tides in shoal cave from changing (so you won't be able to access one of the levels of the cave like the lower half with exclusive ice types, as well as ingredients for a shell bell).

It is possible to still evolve your feebas with the right berries, but it's going to be quite difficult, since the only viable way of getting berries are from the ppl who give out berries, but then I'm not sure if once the clock goes dry, if they stop giving out berries. They prolly stop iirc.

I want a Poochyena on my Ruby team. Do I go for Adamant, which raises Attack and is a good stat for Mightyena? or should I go for Modest, seeing as Dark is Special in this game anyway?

I'd personally either settle with Adamant with a weakened STAB move, or, on the other hand, just go straight up Modest or w/e, but it all depends on what your movesets gunna be (I mean, it's not like all 4 of your moves are dark) -shrugs- it can work either way since in-game doesn't really depend on such specific things.

Last edited:

to stat thing: lets say x=hp and y=speed. it means hp is its best IV, and that speed is it's second best.

Wrong it mean they are equal, he only says the highest IV and multiple if any are equal. The equally good/also good seems to be there only for dialog variety.

I have a male that is Mild. Is that good enough? I've been doing this for hours!

Battle Subway question: I just beat Emmet for the first time, in regular Doubles. Can I switch to Single without breaking my win streak?

Yes, you can choose another type of battling. (Super) Doubles and (Super) Singles are counted as two different modes.

Yeah but will my win streak continue if I switch? Or can I, say, attempt a singles run on a separate streak and go back to doubles after that with the doubles win streak intact?

Yeah but will my win streak continue if I switch? Or can I, say, attempt a singles run on a separate streak and go back to doubles after that with the doubles win streak intact?

Every line has its own streak.

That, and technically, the simple double streak ends anyway, once you begin the Super Double Line, seeing as the regular lines end after beating their respective Subway Boss. The Vs. Seeker, which will only record the highest Line streak you have (as far as my knowledge goes), and also the place where the streaks are generally recorded, makes sure of this.

OK thanks, guess I'll see what happens.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom