• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Somebody please help! HeartGold Freezing Issue!

Ok.. I am going to try typing coherently, because I am in a sheer state of panic right now.

Some quick things to note first:

1. My game was bought new from a reputable electronics store (Future Shop).
2. I have never once used Action Replay on this game, in fact, I have never used Action Replay.
3. The DS (original model) was bought new, and has never been tampered with.

My HeartGold, which has never before acted up, has begun behaving strangely. It all started when I came in from the Safari Zone. I had just caught two Shinx, a Manectric, a Girafarig, an Abra, and a Slowbro. When I got back in, I received a call on my Pokegear from Ace Trainer Reena, and I was unable to answer it. I just passed it off as a minor glitch, and proceeded to the PC to check out the natures of my new Pokemon. I had saved the game at this point. But when I tried to access the PC, the game froze. I then reset the game, and tried again. Same thing happened. So I took out the cartridge, blew on it and the slot, and tried again. I tried a third time, still froze. I am now afraid to touch the game, in fear of losing my Typhlosion. I could stomach the possibility of having to reset and losing the Pokemon in my Boxes, but I can't lose this one Pokemon. This is the game that brought me back to Pokemon, and losing my Typhlosion would be an absolute nightmare.

I just can't even imagine it.. If there is anyone who has had a similar experience, or knows what I could do, please let me know!!!

Re: Somebody please help! HeartGold Freezing Issue!

So I took out the cartridge, blew on it and the slot, and tried again.

I don't know about your glitch problems, but this is one of, if not THE worst thing you can do to a cart. When you blow on a cart, tiny particles of saliva go onto the metal contacts and super conduct the electricity going between the cart and console. This may seem to give a good affect at first, but over time your saliva will corrode the board and metal contacts and produce mildew on them, due to the bacteria in your saliva. The best way to clean them is to, instead of blowing on them, just get a Q-Tip with a little alcohol (not the drinking kind lol) and lightly go over the contacts. Then dry it off with the other side's Q-Tip.

Funny, I've been blowing on my systems and game cartridges/packs for years and they still work great. In fact, my SNES rarely freezes up. My N64 isn't in as good shape, but that's just because my stepbrothers and I played it a lot more.

Anyway, that's an odd thing happening to your game there. I can't imagine at all what it could be if both the game and the system are new. All I can think of is that the shop you bought the game in ripped you off and your game is actually used. I've seen even Gamestop do this, albeit by mistake. An employee told my mom that a game she was trying to buy for my brother was new, but she insisted that she see the disc and it turned out to be totally scratched up. So what I'd do is go back to that shop and talk with them about this.

And believe me, a game shop can sell trashy copies of games (though they may not realize it). I got two copies of Zelda: Link's Awakening from Gamestop once (one was a regular version and the other was a DX version) and both were unplayable because one wouldn't save my game and the other couldn't go past the freaking start screen without freezing (the latter being the DX one, interestingly enough). It's not entirely Gamestop's fault, as people shouldn't be trying to sell game stores messed up copies of games in the first place, but it wouldn't hurt for Gamestop to check the merchandise before buying it either.

It's never happened to me. Strange, if it's something wrong with your system I don't think a Nintendo help center will repair it. It's discontinued right?

No, they'll repair any Nintendo system, I think. I had my Wii repaired over the holiday season, and I remember calling Nintendo about the problems I was having with both it and my 3DS. When you call the number, a voice recording will pop up and tell you to press the number that matches the category your question falls in. There were categories for every system, so I'm assuming they'll make repairs on anything.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I can't see how I could have ended up with a used game (Future shop does not sell used games, unless it was a return.. wait.. heyyy) but something that did occur to me, was that though it was bought new, my DS is very old. I got it at the end of 2004, and it is well taken care of, though heavily used. So perhaps something happened with the system that's just the wear of time. I'm going to give Nintendo a call, and see what their take is, I'll update.

Also, thanks for letting me know that it's a bad idea to blow on games. This is something practically everyone does!

Your replies mean a lot, I'm sure you must know how I feel.

Edit:
Just some more things that might help - This was my first time to the Safari Zone, with the missions completed. Also, that day, I tried the Pokeathlon for the first time. I have all sixteen badges, but this was my first time catching generation III and IV Pokemon. I don't know if all these new things overloaded the system? Then again, why would they be programmed in if that was possible? I'm just grasping at straws..

Last edited:

I don't think you can overload the game without hacking. If you want to make sure it's the system, try other games to see if they freeze.

OK! PROBLEM SOLVED!! I am so relieved.. I just called Nintendo, and they said that it was an issue with the touchscreen. I was skeptical at first, since I couldn't see anything lodged in there. But sure enough, I took a toothbrush and went around the edges of the screen like they said, and the system worked after that! I feel kind of stupid now, since the touchscreen looked completely clean, but isn't that something obvious to check first? :p

I am just so relieved right now. Thanks for all the replies! :)

Ive had a similar experience. About 4 months after getting my DS the touchscreen became unresponsive, i felt my ds could be dead D: turns out the screen protector-sticky plastic thing was technically presing the touchscreen everywhere at once. So when i turned on my ds, it counted that as default and so couldnt read the presses on the screen.

I guess this goes to show that sometimes you need to clean the touchscreen a bit, and be careful about things you puyt over the screens.

Re: Simple Questions and Simple Answers

Oh for sure, sometimes it isn't obvious, either. Everything else was ok with my game, but I was essentially locked out of my PC. The the thing that tipped the Nintendo rep off that it was the touchscreen, was that when I turned on my DS, it would advance on its own from the startup screen to the main menue. I was so panicked the other night, that I didn't even notice that!

So I'm going to be starting a fire red or leaf green run through soon using pokemon I've never used before I just am wondering what do you think of this team?
Blastoise
Primeape
Eggexutor
Aerodactyl
Weezing
Rapidash
Ya I know I won't be able to get most of these guys till late in the game but oh well tell me what you think

Celestic Town Help

I've been trying to find Cynthia so that I can get to Celestic Town (and ultimately beat the Hearthome gym), but I can't find her. I beat Crasher Wake and earned the Fen Badge, and I looked around on Route 214 to try to find her, but she wasn't there. Can anyone help me?

Re: Celestic Town Help

I've been trying to find Cynthia so that I can get to Celestic Town (and ultimately beat the Hearthome gym), but I can't find her. I beat Crasher Wake and earned the Fen Badge, and I looked around on Route 214 to try to find her, but she wasn't there. Can anyone help me?

Did you talk to the Galactic Grunt standing outside the Safari Zone after defeating Crasher Wake?

Its been so long ago since I played that gen I can't remember myself, but you should really ask here if you want help for that kind of stuff, I believe.

Did you talk to the Galactic Grunt standing outside the Safari Zone after defeating Crasher Wake?

No, I didn't. I'll try that.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Random question about Smeargle.

So to give it four moves, I assume you have to Heart Scale Sketch three times? I ask because I have a DW one with Captivate and Sketch and one with Sketch and that has been replaced by Slam.

@a0161613 Or you can level it up, it learns Sketch every ten levels (something along those lines).

I have a quick question on the Game Sync feature of Pokemon Black/White. I currently have both a copy of Black and White synced up, but I am looking at starting a new game on one of my version. Does anyone know if I will be able to un-register and re-register the new save files? Or I am stuck with the two saves files linked to the games I currently have loaded?

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows the answer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

So I'm going to be starting a fire red or leaf green run through soon using pokemon I've never used before I just am wondering what do you think of this team?
Blastoise
Primeape
Eggexutor
Aerodactyl
Weezing
Rapidash
Ya I know I won't be able to get most of these guys till late in the game but oh well tell me what you think
It looks good! I've used Aerodactyl, Blastoise, Primeape and Eggexutor on a team( not all at the same time) and they have served me well, I just hope your willing to use Blastoise and primeape, a lot, but you know that.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom