• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

@Shiny Shinx; Unfortunately there is no way to get Glare and Leaf Storm as Egg Moves. Snivy will learn Leaf Storm at Lv. 48 so you can just breed Snivy with Ekans/Arbok/Seviper that knows Glare and level till you have both. To get Leaf Storm as an egg move both parents need to know Leaf Storm. That would be a Female Snivy/Servine/Serperior with Leaf Storm breeding with any male that knows Leaf Storm and is in a breedable egg group (Field and Grass)
@Isamu Akai; Ninj'd! Only slightly though :p

But, cant Snivy get Glare and Leaf Storm via egg move like so?:
Female Snivy + Male (w/e has Glare) = Male Snivy w/ Glare
Level up Male Glare Snivy to learn Leaf Storm
Male Glare/Leaf Storm Snivy + Female Snivy (that was leveled up to learn Leaf Storm) = Glare/Leaf Storm Snivy eggs

???

No. Egg moves refer to moves that CAN be passed over by breeding. Leaf Storm cannot be passed over, and is thus not an egg move.

Re: Simple Questions and Simple Answers

On my last post I was just dipping my feet back into the pool of which is Pokemon (LEAF GREEN to be exact)...So I have figured out EVs and have completed the EV training on 2 pokemon of mine: Mewtwo and a Dragonair. In the space of 2 days I caught the Mewtwo with a Great Ball and then ran into Suicune an hour or two later which I used my Master Ball on straight away and THENNNNN: I caught my first SHINY!!! It was in the ghost tower in Lavender Town. Pretty stoked abt that but I have a few questions:
1. Should I train it up to be a Pokemon I actually use (in a Gengar obvs) OR should I let it sit in the PC so it remains unspoilt and pure?
2. Was I wrong in EV training my Dragonair...Should I have Rare Candied (If I even had enough) until he evolved to Dragonite...or does evolution have no effect on the stats gained on the way to lvl 100?
3. Can you migrate a pokemon from FR/LG that has never been in a battle (thus not EV'd) and do all the EVs in the new game?
4. Now Im trying to figure out IVs...what is a good amount? and is the only way to get these the calcuators online or are the stats of freshly hatched pokemon (lvl 1) the same as their IVs (havnt figured IVs out yet...thats the next on my agenda.)
PS. I was really surprised with how much EXTRA is in LG as compared to the old Game Boy games...it becomes its own game after the Elite Four and I have loved every minute of what I think of as "New Material" but many here would associate with otherwise?!?!

*The Shiny was a Gastly durrr

…I have a few questions:
1. Should I train it up to be a Pokemon I actually use (in a Gengar obvs) OR should I let it sit in the PC so it remains unspoilt and pure?

The choice is yours really. If you have any Gen 4/5 games you'd be able to pass it forward into, it wouldn't be unwise to keep it UT (untouched) until then to clone it so you'll have a forever "pure one" as well as possible trading fodder. If you also go the cloning route, you'll be able to have one or more of each stage as a shiny at the same time. But there are no qualms about actually using a shiny you find.

2. Was I wrong in EV training my Dragonair...Should I have Rare Candied (If I even had enough) until he evolved to Dragonite...or does evolution have no effect on the stats gained on the way to lvl 100?

Rare Candies vs. Leveling up through battle is a moot thing. They'll both get you to the same powered Pokemon in the end, so long as you got the EVs you wanted. No matter what stage of evolution a Pokemon is in, if it fights the same Pokemon as a Dragonair, it would get the same amount of EVs even if it fought it as a Dratini/Dragonite.

3. Can you migrate a pokemon from FR/LG that has never been in a battle (thus not EV'd) and do all the EVs in the new game?

Yes.

4. Now Im trying to figure out IVs...what is a good amount? and is the only way to get these the calcuators online or are the stats of freshly hatched pokemon (lvl 1) the same as their IVs (havnt figured IVs out yet...thats the next on my agenda)

Flawless Pokemon have IVs of 31 in each stat. You only really need good IVs in 2-3 stats pretty much. If you have a Mewtwo who has all special moves, what good will an IV of 31 do you in Attack? None. So you have to plan ahead and see what IVs your Pokemon will need ahead of time.

IVs are hidden stats that a Pokemon is born with, you can't change them once the Pokemon is created. And no, a lvl 1 pokes stats aren't it's IVs, if they ever are, it's just coincidence.

All the answers I wanted to hear!!! I have a few more simple questions though.
1. Cloning...how is it done? Is there a "how-to thread?" What are the risks and is it easy to figure out? Or more of an advanced thing? (Because I would love to have one for battle, one untouched original, and some for trading because hopefully that will help me get some event pokemon I missed because I havnt been online yet but I plan to soon!!!)
2. I have migrated some pokemon from LG to Platinum successfully but: How long can the 6 stay in Pal Park? Until you get them? Or is there a limit? (I basically want to know if there is ANY risk migrating...I get paranoid I will somehow lose one or more of my Pokemon!!!)
3. The Poke-Radar thing with chains and what-not...does that actually work or is it a gee-up?

…I have a few more simple questions though:
1. Cloning...how is it done? Is there a "how-to thread?" What are the risks and is it easy to figure out? Or more of an advanced thing? (Because I would love to have one for battle, one untouched original, and some for trading because hopefully that will help me get some event pokemon I missed because I havnt been online yet but I plan to soon!!!)

I'll go more into detail on this over PMs as the level of detail I want to give is definitely going to go past what my IPad's battery is willing to handle :T
But for now, here is the Bulbapedia Article on Cloning.

2. I have migrated some pokemon from LG to Platinum successfully but: How long can the 6 stay in Pal Park? Until you get them? Or is there a limit? (I basically want to know if there is ANY risk migrating...I get paranoid I will somehow lose one or more of my Pokemon!!!)

Pokemon in Pal Park will stay there until you catch them.

3. The Poke-Radar thing with chains and what-not...does that actually work or is it a gee-up?

There are a lot of unwritten hidden rules dictating success with the PokéRadar that I could never dream of explaining nor understanding myself. There is a thread about it, it's really old and the original poster has long since left the forums, but it may help you.

Click here.

Last edited:

How do trainers decide what to do?

It's a fairly simple process, really. There are two factors, "Input" and "Output". "Input" is composed of variables (based on your Pokemon, the health of their Pokemon, type match-ups, etc) and "Output" is what the computer selects as an action (which move is used, if an item is used, if a switch is made, etc). Each variable (Input) has an appropriate action assigned to it (Output). The complexity of a given Trainer's A.I. is measured by how many variables it looks for, and the depth of actions it has available to select from.

Yes, but once it has the variables, what does it do with them? I need this to determine what the Rival will do.

thanks heaps for everything!!! still got a lot to think about though...I HAVE AN EMERGENCY QUESTION but:

I am starting Ruby for the first time (bought the cart on eBay) and am worried the internal battery is dead (just like MOST Gold and Silver Game Boy games do these days)
Is there evidence of this? Because I dont really want to play 20 hrs into it and the save file gets wiped!!!

thanks heaps for everything!!! still got a lot to think about though...I HAVE AN EMERGENCY QUESTION but:

I am starting Ruby for the first time (bought the cart on eBay) and am worried the internal battery is dead (just like MOST Gold and Silver Game Boy games do these days)
Is there evidence of this? Because I dont really want to play 20 hrs into it and the save file gets wiped!!!

RSE cartridges have a different internal battery from GSC cartridges. The only thing that happens when the internal battery runs dry on your Ruby cartridge is that daily events will no longer occur (growing berries, Shoal Cave tide changes, daily lottery, etc). It will not wipe your save file. I have a Ruby cartridge with a dry internal battery, and the save file is still there.

What's the best way to make money in B&W (Black)?

Just wondering. Haven't gotten to Elite Four yet. I do know selling to maniacs is a lot of cash...

The Stadium places in Nimbasa may do it. Selling berries will as well. You don't need much cash before the the Elite Four

What's the best way to make money in B&W (Black)?

Just wondering. Haven't gotten to Elite Four yet. I do know selling to maniacs is a lot of cash...

if I remember correctly, selling the maid maniac those dw berries only used for money can get you about 30-60k a day. But hell does it take FOREVER.

EDIT: here's something I figured a while back:

Question: The Hungry Maid Food Item Maniac, it says that she'll pay more for Uncommon Berries (~$500) and even more for Very Rare Berries (~30,000). So where do the new Bluk/Razz/Nanab berries lie with this? Does she pay the uncommon or very rare price? Also does she pay the same amount for all three types?

I haven't brought home any of the berries yet because i want to grow more of the ones she pays most for (if its worth it that is)

EDIT: nevermind, she only pays $500 for all of them (;-;) Though if you grow all 15 plots worth of berries (10 berries per plot, 3 rows of 5 plots) that's about $75,000 just from berries, no?

10 berries x 5 plots = 50 berries

50 berries x 3 rows = 150 berries

150 berries x $500 per berry = $75,000

Though who would want to stand there and mash the A button ~10-12 times per berry? D: i guess it's a good thing you can only take home 20 berries at any one time then...
So you can still get about..

60 berries (bluk/nanab/razz) x $500 per berry = $30,000 a day

Though there are like 3-6 new berries you can sell (20 each a day if you planted them) so there's definitely a bit of scratch you can make on berries alone.

Last edited:

Hey there. So, I've reached Opelucid in White and my team could use some training. Basically, I'm wondering if any major changes should be made before I start grinding and move-changing, if anything needs to be adjusted for Iris.

Obviously they need to be leveled up some, this is more to see if I could muddle through or not.
Samurott, lvl. 38, Jolly, Razor Shell | Slash | Surf | Water Pledge
Archeops, lvl. 40, Rash, Acrobatics | AncientPower | Endeavor | Fly
Boldore, lvl. 37, Naive, Rock Smash | Rock Slide | Power Gem | Stealth Rock
Stoutland, lvl. 37, Bold, Shadow Ball | Take Down | Retailiate | Crunch
Darmanitan, lvl. 40, Mild, Fire Punch | Facade | Hammer Arm | Flare Blitz
Lilligant, lvl. 37, Docile, Synthesis | Quiver Dance | Magical Leaf

I've removed any moves that wouldn't be of too much use in my opinion, but I'd like some advice. Should I teach them some other moves? Should I just go back to Twist Mountain and get an ice-type? This gym is the final one, a dragon gym. I want to be prepared.

How come I can't get into Unown's lair in Rumble Blast? I beat dark rust already and I beat rotom hideout... (Was that the problem?) Even if I did beat rotom hideout, how do you make the hole appear again?

Fake Pokemon Red box??

Hey Guys. I ended up getting a copy of Pokemon Red recently and i have a question about the box. It seems different from all of the boxes I seen online. There is no white box for the game to rest in. Rather there is a little sleeve built in to the box for the game to sit. The box looks like it is totally legit and has no normal signs of being a fake. What do you think?? outside.jpg inside.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom