• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-4)

Recently, I started playing Diamond again and I have a question. In the Old Shatue, is there any meaning of the people that pop up there then dissapear? Also, does that painting in the last room have any meaning too? The painting that has red eyes then shuts them when you come near.

The people that pop up are ghosts (some suspect they may have been poisoned due to finding a antidote in the kitchen trash), and the painting with eyes is just to add to the haunted feeling.

Bellossom Starting moves SoulSilver

I was hoping to make a specific team consisting of fire/grass pokemon which would have its strengths/weaknesses based around the skill Sunny Day. However ive been having some problems with one pokemon in particular. This pokemon is not the strongest nor the most useful. However, Bellossom has caught my interest knowing it has the ability chlorophyll, starts with the move Sunny Day and has a reasonably powerful physical move leaf blade.

To be honest I was just experimenting with the grass type because I find they are fun to use with skills like giga drain, leech seed, solar beam etc. Even though stat wise they are not outstanding.

My problem is that I have evolved 3 different glooms all at different levels and none of them learned the moves that Bellossom is supposed to begin with. Mainly the two I wanted were Sunny Day and Leaf Blade. I know you can get a TM to teach sunny day and I could teach these moves at a move tutor. However I wanted to teach a different pokemon Sunny Day with the TM and I wanted leaf blade well before the move tutor.

Im not sure why after evolving gloom I didnt get messages saying Bellossom is trying to learn Sunny Day etc... I have no idea what to do.

I bred the oddish that I evolved into gloom to know the move giga drain and sleep powder at lvl 1. For obvious reasons I didnt want to wait until lvl 47 when Oddish is supposed to learn giga drain. Could this effect Bellossom learning starter moves? Im hoping that ive made a rookie mistake and someone can find me an easy fix for my problem. All I know is I want the moves Bellossom is supposed to begin with and im not keen on having to wait until ive 75% completed the whole game.

Sorry if ive broken any forum rules making this thread or ive missed a thread already addressing this problem. I searched on google, youtube, bulbapedia and other sources but couldnt find any reference to a problem like this.

Please help if you have had a similar problem or know the solution.

Re: Bellossom Starting moves SoulSilver

However I wanted to teach a different pokemon Sunny Day with the TM and I wanted leaf blade well before the move tutor.

What do you mean before move tutor? If you are saying you want Bellossom to learn Leaf blade, you need a Heart scale and go to the Move relearner (I think that was the official name)

So what your telling me is that Bellossom will not learn the moves Sunny Day or Leaf Blade without going to the move relearner to teach them?

I was hoping since both of these moves are supposed to be moves Bellossom begins with according to bulbapedia, that I would be able to get them prior to the move relearner.

I think your right but im somewhat disappointed :/

Not looking forward to using rock smash repeatedly to get two heart scales and then having to wait until that stage in the game to 'relearn' a move that Bellossom should have learned upon evolution.

Thank you for your help Primal, can anyone confirm this?

So what your telling me is that Bellossom will not learn the moves Sunny Day or Leaf Blade without going to the move relearner to teach them?

I was hoping since both of these moves are supposed to be moves Bellossom begins with according to bulbapedia, that I would be able to get them prior to the move relearner.

Not looking forward to using rock smash repeatedly to get two heart scales and then having to wait until that stage in the game to 'relearn' a move that Bellossom should have learned upon evolution.

Yup, Primal is correct. You're going to need some Heart Scales.

FML.

Does this apply to all moves that fully evolved pokemon 'start' with? In cases where the previous evolution could not learn such a move.

Thank you :)

Bulbapedia Article: Move Relearner said:
The Move Relearner is a character who allows Pokémon to relearn any move that they were able to learn from a previous level-up (usually in exchange for a Heart Scale). Reasons for this include none of that species being able to be obtained at an early enough level to actually learn the move in a particular generation (e.g. Zapdos and AncientPower in Generation IV), or the species starting with more than four moves (e.g. Kecleon).

One limitation is the move relearner is restricted to the particular moveset associated with the Pokémon's species (i.e. current evolutionary form). Many Pokémon, especially those that evolve by way of evolutionary stone, have access to moves that their evolutions do not, such as with Eevee, who can learn Take Down by level though none of its evolutions can.

Conversely, certain Pokémon evolutions have access to moves that they (and their pre-evolutions) could not actually learn at the particular level, like a Charizard learning Heat Wave at level 1 despite that it does not attain this form until level 36; a move relearner is the only way to teach the move.

As stated above, any move listed by Bulbapedia as being learned at "start" means that the pokemon needs to be taught the move via a Move Relearner. One way to get these moves earlier before reaching Blackthorn City is to trade the pokemon to another player who either has the TMs needed or is capable of taking the pokemon to the Move Relearner for you.

Trades of this nature can be requested here.

Thank you for your help. I obviously didn't search for the answer to my own question hard enough and I appreciate you spending your time helping me find it.

However I still maintain my opinion that if I need to to teach my pokemon a move via the move relearner it is hardly a "start" move.

Because as the english dictionary states the term "Start" means; To begin with.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Was Junichi Masuda making Black and White during diamond and pearl era? (Also if it is possible, I would like to see a source on where this was confirmed)

Was Junichi Masuda making Black and White during diamond and pearl era? (Also if it is possible, I would like to see a source on where this was confirmed)
Given that Masuda Visted NY (the basis of Unova) during the American DP Launch: HIDDEN POWER of masuda Game Freak didn't not be actively developing BW but he may have already stated planning back then.

Do mean by DP era, do you mean the two years between DP and Platinum or DP to BW releases. If the latter, most certainly.

For the purpose of evolution, PokeTransfer doesn't count as a trade, correct?

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

I want to make a Pokemon-type (tabletop) RPG, using Fakemon. Coming up with 200 or so monsters is easy, in that respect, but what I need is balance between types. Is there a list anyplace that shows how many pokemon of each type there are by Generation?
Using the regional Pokedex, I gather that each type in Gen 5 seems to have between 10-15 of any given type (other than Ice and Dragon, but their numbers are always like that). Is there an actual ratio anywhere?

Recently, I started playing Diamond again and I have a question. In the Old Shatue, is there any meaning of the people that pop up there then dissapear? Also, does that painting in the last room have any meaning too? The painting that has red eyes then shuts them when you come near.

The people that pop up are ghosts (some suspect they may have been poisoned due to finding a antidote in the kitchen trash), and the painting with eyes is just to add to the haunted feeling.

No, it is the room, if you use the dongle method with any Generation III game, then at night, they are rare but you find Gengar. Awesome, right? Just letting you know.

The higher ups at GameFreak started working on Black and White around the time that Platinum was being made, as explained in this Iwata Asks segment:
Iwata: So after Pokémon Diamond Version and Pokémon Pearl Version came out and everyone at Game Freak was making Pokémon Platinum Version, you were examining the games from a number of different angles and thinking about how you could make them so that players never “graduated” from them.
Masuda: Yes, I thought about it for roughly two years. But when we were making Diamond and Pearl, we didn’t have to think too hard in order to establish a difference with previous games, because we had the Nintendo DS as new hardware.

The DreamWorld was also in development for around 2 years:
Iwata: How long did you work on it until you saw results?
Masuda: I think it took about two years.
Iwata: This time, the games represent two years worth of ideas. (laughs)

Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

In Pokemon Yellow, what determines when you can get Bulbasaur in Cerulean City? I've reached that point in the game three times. Twice I got Bulbasaur before beating Misty, but once I had to wait until after I beat her.

Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

In Pokemon Yellow, what determines when you can get Bulbasaur in Cerulean City? I've reached that point in the game three times. Twice I got Bulbasaur before beating Misty, but once I had to wait until after I beat her.

Bulbapedia Article: Bulbasaur In Game Location: Pokemon Yellow said:
Received from a girl in Cerulean City if Pikachu's friendship is high enough

That would be why.

EDIT:
Also concerning Pikachu's happiness level:

Bulbapedia Article: Friendship said:
Friendship is not recorded for any other Pokémon in Generation I, and the friendship of Pikachu does not affect much: the only real effect it has is whether or not Melanie will give Bulbasaur away in Cerulean City, which she will only do if Pikachu's friendship is 147 or higher.

If I leveled up a petilil to level 47, then evolved it, would I be able to use the move re-learner to teach it moves like petal dance?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom