• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Whenever I start my Pokemon White version, I get this message:

The save data could not be accessed. Please turn the power off and reinsert the Game Card.

Is it completely toast or is there hope?

Now I might be wrong, but that sounds like the message I get when I try to start up my old Gen II games, so could there be something wrong with the save battery?

In the case of the old Gen II games, simply opening up the cartridge and switching the save battery for a new one fixed the problem but I have no idea how that would work on a DS game.

Well the thing is I can't even get to the screen that allows me to start a new game. It just gives me that message.

Oh :< well I dunno there might be something wrong with your game if its telling you that before you even get to where you can start a new game. Maybe it'll go away, I say just keep trying it for now, if it still wont work idk it might be toast.

Oh :< well I dunno there might be something wrong with your game if its telling you that before you even get to where you can start a new game. Maybe it'll go away, I say just keep trying it for now, if it still wont work idk it might be toast.

I've tried it in another DS, same message. Probably about a cumulative 20 tries now. Looks like toast. I'll have to go get another copy of the game today or tomorrow. :/ Thank you guys for your help.

I've tried it in another DS, same message. Probably about a cumulative 20 tries now. Looks like toast. I'll have to go get another copy of the game today or tomorrow. :/ Thank you guys for your help.

Sorry for the loss.

Sorry for the loss.

Actually I cleaned the contacts with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and I was able to access the files. Thank you guys for your help!

Sorry for the loss.

Actually I cleaned the contacts with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and I was able to access the files. Thank you guys for your help!

glad to here my tip worked! ;D

So ya, make sure to keep the contacts clean and dry, cleaning them once about every 8-10 months should be fine. Less if you take extra care when storing your cart.

This one's more about the DS itself as opposed to the Pokémon games, but...

While I understand that the Nintendo 3DS is region blocked and so are its games, what about Nintendo DSi games? Are they region blocked (so an American game will not work on a European system) or just language blocked?

While I understand that the Nintendo 3DS is region blocked and so are its games, what about Nintendo DSi games? Are they region blocked (so an American game will not work on a European system) or just language blocked?

they (DSi specific games) are indeed region locked.

Thanks. Means that if TPCi or Nintendo don't announce an EU Pokémon Conquest release by 10th June, I'll be playing it on my DS Lite xD.

Re: Gen 1 Pokemon Mechanics

Hi guys,

I'm using the first generation of pokemon games as an example for an algorithm I made for my thesis. Part of the algorithm is to find everything that could possibly happen within a round of the game. I'm using gen 1 since it would be the simplest.

For example, if I have a pokemon that is paralyzed two possibilities can come from that: I can't attack for the turn, or I can attack that turn.
If I'm confused and paralyzed that's three things:

Nothing bad happens
I'm hurt myself in confusion
I can't attack due to paralysis

On top of predicting what could happen, I also need to be able to find the probabilities of each outcome happening.

I can find the probabilities for each affect (move accuracy, chance to be confused), but I'm having a tough time understanding each step that the game goes through. Does it check for confusion before paralysis? Does it check for both? If it does check for both, what's a higher priority for the game, being hurt by confusion or being unable to move? These are the questions I'm having a tough time answering. Also, this is for the full turn, so that can include differing outcomes caused by the opposing pokemon.

I'm hoping to have a simple list looking something like this:

Compare speed
Check for confusion on faster pokemon
Check for paralysis on faster pokemon
Check for move accuracy on faster pokemon
Check for flinching on slower pokemon

Any ideas?

Well, because there is a 30% chance for paralysis and a 50% for confusion, and paralysis beats confusion,
Nothing bad happens = 35% = 0.7*0.5
Can't attack due to paralysis = 30% = 0.3
Hurt self due to confusion = 35% = 1-0.7*0.5+0.3

1. Check for Paralysis
2. Check for Confusion if not Paralyzed

Oh, and does anyone know how the AIs work in Red/Blue or Later?

A little help with EVs please

Does anyone know if I can level a pokemon to 100 through the daycare and then spam vitamins to get the same stats as if I had trained it?

I think the states will be the same. You can only use 10 Vitamins in a stat, then you have to EV train it normally the rest of the way. Im not sure if it matters since in Gen 5, the stats are adjusted after every battle which is why you can now EV train at Lv 100. The Pokemon will simply not gain EVs in the daycare, same as if you used Rare Candies to get it to Lv. 100.

I have a question that concerns breeding vs. evolution.
Say that I want to breed a Pokemon like Braviary, which, being male only, gets no egg moves. Would the only advantage to hatching a Rufflet (rather than catching a wild one) be that I can decide 2 of its IVs using Power-Items, or would it actually have better stats from being raised up from LV.1 (excluding stat raises from EVs)?
Stone-Evolutions also kinda fit into this; recently my wife raised up a a Pansage over lv.40 and then evolved it, then evolved a Pansage at LV.1 and raised its levels to 40. (Both level raises were done using Daycare, so that they wouldn't get any EVs, which would mess up the numbers.) Their stats (taking into account their natures) were almost identical. I had always thought the incentive to evolve a Pokemon with a Stone was that it got better stats...?

@Stratago; Evolving a Pokemon that evolves with a stone (ie: Weepinbell, Jigglypuff) late only has one advantage, which is better moves. Final evolutions of said Pokemon often have terrible level up movepools, while the previous evolution often has a superior level up movepool. Stat's aren't affected.

And it doesn't matter if you catch Rufflet in the wild or get it from an egg, if the IVs and nature are the same, it will have the same stats.

Edit: Ignore the top one for now, I may have misunderstood your question.

Edit 2: Nope, it should be right.

Thanks. Means that if TPCi or Nintendo don't announce an EU Pokémon Conquest release by 10th June, I'll be playing it on my DS Lite xD.
I think I will too BUT couldn't you import a PAL version from Australia and play it on the 3DS?

I think it would just be easier if a Europe/UK version was announced....I really can't wait to play it.

I think I will too BUT couldn't you import a PAL version from Australia and play it on the 3DS?

I think it would just be easier if a Europe/UK version was announced....I really can't wait to play it.

Yes...yes I could. Now to find a place where I can import it from xD

@PkmnCrystal; I knew that Stone-evolved PKMN have cruddy movesets, but leveling up a Ninetales from LV1 and raising it to, say, LV25, then raising a Vulpix to 25 and then giving it a Fire Stone yields the same results?? That's legitimately disappointing. There's really no incentive in not evolving it - someone could simply breed the LV-Up moves they wanted into a hatchling to begin with so waiting for good moves is kinda moot. I assume, then, that its the same thing for any other species (learning its moves at lower level as an un-evolved monster, then evolving afterward).
Actually, wait, if someone used a cheat device to catch, say, a Gyarados at LV.1, it would get better stats for 20 levels than it would as a Magikarp, ultimately resulting in higher stats...? No, the issue is base stats, so that wouldn't even matter, would it? I think I answered my own question.
Anyway, thanx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom