• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Help with Trophy Garden

I was reading on Bulbapedia about Mr. Backlot and the Trophy Garden, and I have Diamond. Every time I talk to him, he doesn't mention any particular Pokemon at all, and I have no idea how to get different Pokemon to appear. How do I do it? All I get are Pichu, Pikachu, Staravia, and Roselia.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Do we encounter pokémon more frequent if we run/ride the bike? I run into pokémon more frequent that way, it seems.

Re: Help with Trophy Garden

You need to defeat the Elite Four, or get the National Pokédex. I don't remember which requirement is correct, though. Sorry!

Do we encounter pokémon more frequent if we run/ride the bike? I run into pokémon more frequent that way, it seems.

I know that running does increase the chance for encounters. I think biking does as well, but I'm not sure.

Why does rock type Pokemon generally have a high defense stat because in reference to ev training and iv values there should be no reason for them to have higher defense than any other Pokemon. (same for psychic Pokemon and their special attack)
So I'm asking if the type of Pokemon has anything to do with its base stats. Also I was wondering if you don't ev train a Pokemon if it's stats are generated randomly, or if there is a modifier based on the type of Pokemon it is. (when I say type I mean rock, psychic, etc. )

No offense, but I had trouble understanding your question.

Every Pokemon species has its own base stats. Like, Pikachu has different base stats than Lapras. IV's, EV's, and nature determine the stats of a specific Pokemon species.

If you don't give a Pokemon any EV's, then it will have lower stats than one that has EV's. If it gained EV's but you don't really know what they are, then I suppose it could be considered a random distribution of EV's, yes.

In general, rock types have high defense right? And psychic types have high special attack right? So what in the game makes this happen. Because if a rock type had the same iv and ev of a psychic type, and nature, wouldn't their stats be the same? So does the type of Pokemon determine how much points go into a particular stat as a Pokemon gains a level? Like how rock types are high in defense so is there a bigger probability that it will gain more defense on level than other types of pokemon

In general, rock types have high defense right? And psychic types have high special attack right? So what in the game makes this happen. Because if a rock type had the same iv and ev of a psychic type, and nature, wouldn't their stats be the same? So does the type of Pokemon determine how much points go into a particular stat as a Pokemon gains a level? Like how rock types are high in defense so is there a bigger probability that it will gain more defense on level than other types of pokemon
I'm not completely sure how it works, but every individual Pokemon species has their own base stats. It's not just IV's, EV's, and nature.

And it's not based on type either, rock types tend to have high physical defense, but some (such as Rampardos) have a low defense. If you ignore IV's, EV's, and nature, stats are completely based on the individual species of Pokemon.

I think it should also be noted that certain types tend to favor certain stats not because types have pre-detemined stats, but because those species tend to follow a pattern. Most Psychic types have high special attack because it fits the theme of "mind over matter" not because Psychic types have more EV points in Special Attack.

And EV/IV are not the only thing that determine stats. Nature and species' base stats do as well. Crustle have 125 base defense, so naturally it will have higher defense than average if one ignores EV/IV spread.

Blah, here;
Detailed explanation on how stats are determined

Last edited:

So what are the strategies for ev training Pokemon? Making them well rounded or jus go all out special attack and special defence if they're like a kadabra or something like that?

It's usually better to specialize EV points, and not spread them.
Like Alakazam does not need Attack EVs, when those points could be better spent on improving his already high Special Attack/Speed to deadlier levels.

Online troubles

Im actually not sure if Im posting it to correct forum, but didnt find another option.
Hello everyone! I was playing Pokemon White quite a bit and today I wanted to try out online features of Dream World. I plessed Game Sync. and DS connected to Wi-fi spot, then about 1-2 min connecting... screen and then Connection failure error 91010. I tried to reset Wi-fi settings and try again and it didnt work. Same problem. I tried to get Game Sync ID from option "Game Sync Options" in main menu and it connected, then "Creating Data wait..." and after 1-2 mins again 91010. My wifi spot does allright, I even traded some Pokemon through it in Heart Gold. I didnt use action replay or get some pokemon in white version through trades.
Erasing Save is not an option, I played kinda lond and dont want to loose all that time.
Can you make a suggestion how to solve this problem, or If its impossible: are there other options to get some of Gen I-IV pokemon, that are obtainable through dream world (e g Starters) and are there options to battle other people without using Game Sync and Dream World?

Re: Online troubles

Yup. I tradedback my Graveler to evolve it into Golem, and I got Kadabra and Machoke through GTS in Heart Gold.

@Worldeditor; Like mwto suggested, this is what the Nintendo website suggests:

Error Code: 91010

Our experience has shown that this error message is typically caused by issues with your Friends Roster. Have you added someone new to your friend roster just before the problem occurred?
What to do:

Check your Friends Roster for any duplicate Friend Codes. Delete any duplicate Friend Codes and test the connection again.
Remove the newest Friend Code and test the connection.

Delete one friend code at a time, working backwards, testing the connection as you go. (Be sure to write them down before deleting them, so you can re-enter any Friend Codes that were not the problem.)

If you are still unable to connect, please call 1-800-255-3700 in the USA or Canada for more information.

Actually my friend list in Pal Pad in Pokemon White is totally empty.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom