• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Advice on catching Snorlax just outside Celadon City in FireRed? o_O

Use strong moves until it looks like the thing has about 50 hp. Your moves should be strong enough that you can get it down to that many hp in 2 turns, in case it uses rest.
Once you're down to around that many hp use dragon-rage. If it looks like there's too much hp use a weak move like twister. Paralyzing it will help if you think you can do it before it rests. Spam great balls until it uses rest or you catch it. If it rests, start over again.
You should save before you try to catch it just in case something goes wrong.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Can someone tell me about unlocking Challenge Mode for BW2? I would really like for someone to go into like the advanced details of it.

Can someone tell me about unlocking Challenge Mode for BW2? I would really like for someone to go into like the advanced details of it.

Basically, after you beat the Champion in B2 you will unlock Challenge Mode. This allows you to restart the game with a higher difficulty (trainers will have higher leveled Pokemon and whatnot). But you can also send the mode to a friend so he can play Challenge Mode right from the start, or you can receive it from a friend who has it so you can play it right from the start.

Easy Mode is unlocked and can be used the same way in W2 with the exception that it makes the game easier, as the name implies.

I need some advice for the Unova fossils

Ok everyone I need some advice for the fossils in Unova my current party is:

-Herdier lvl 16
-Panpour lvl 17
-Tympole lvl 17
-Drilbur lvl 17
-Servine lvl 17
-Pidove lvl 18

When I'm able to I'm gonna switch out Herdier and Panpour for Darumaka and Sandile
so then my party would be Unless I should take out 2 other pokemon for those two

-Sandile
- Darumaka
-Tympole
-Drilbur
-Servine
-Pidove

My real question is should I get Tirtouga or Archen
For Titouga i would take out Tympole because both can learn Surf
then for Archen I would take out Pidove because both can learn Fly

I'm far from Relic Castle lol but its just been bugging me so much on which fossil I should get and who I should take out for it

Re: I need some advice for the Unova fossils

-Herdier lvl 16
-Panpour lvl 17
-Tympole lvl 17
-Drilbur lvl 17
-Servine lvl 17
-Pidove lvl 18

When I'm able to I'm gonna switch out Herdier and Panpour for Darumaka and Sandile
so then my party would be Unless I should take out 2 other pokemon for those two

-Sandile
- Darumaka
-Tympole
-Drilbur
-Servine
-Pidove

I'm far from Relic Castle lol but its just been bugging me so much on which fossil I should get and who I should take out for it

Hmm if you didn't have so many Ground Types already in your planned team I'd say ditch Pidove and get Archen because I don't like Unfezant too much. But I'd get rid of Tympole and get Tirtouga in your case. Carracosta is pretty good anyway.

-Herdier lvl 16
-Panpour lvl 17
-Tympole lvl 17
-Drilbur lvl 17
-Servine lvl 17
-Pidove lvl 18

-Sandile
- Darumaka
-Tympole
-Drilbur
-Servine
-Pidove

From what your teams Types are, I would say to get Tirtouga. If you do that though, I perfer you get one with Solid Rock.

However, Archen has exremely high raw power, plus high Speed. However, might not fit in your team do to the fact that you would have three Pokemon with a Water Type weakness.

When I'm doing my playthough of Pokemon BW2, I'm gonna challenge myself to like, Gym Multi Battles. Please don't ask why...

Anyway, which do you think are the best combo of Types for the first Gym Battle, second Gym Battle, and so on. I was thinking like this:

1st Gym Match: Rock - Ground
2nd Gym Match: Steel - Poison
3rd Gym Match: Ghost - Dark
4th Gym Match: Electric - Psychic
5th Gym Match: Grass - Bug
6th Gym Match: Fire - Fighting
7th Gym Match: Water - Ice
8th Gym Match: Normal - Dragon

Also, sence I'm going to do my games in Challenge Mode, should I "Challenge Mode" this as well?

Re: I need some advice for the Unova fossils

-Herdier lvl 16
-Panpour lvl 17
-Tympole lvl 17
-Drilbur lvl 17
-Servine lvl 17
-Pidove lvl 18

-Sandile
- Darumaka
-Tympole
-Drilbur
-Servine
-Pidove

Hmm if you didn't have so many Ground Types already in your planned team I'd say ditch Pidove and get Archen because I don't like Unfezant too much. But I'd get rid of Tympole and get Tirtouga in your case. Carracosta is pretty good anyway.
I started the game over I was thinking of this party at this point in the game

Drilbur
Herdier
Pignite
Tympole
Sandile
Darumaka

I ditched Pidove because I just dont like how Unfezant looks lol but then theres always Rufflet in the later part of the game and then it inolves to Braviary and there is Mandibuzz too

Can some one tell me whst pokemon that are available on white or black are not available to be caught the sequels?

I'm just wondering, but is a shake of a Pokeball higher then the chance of the Pokemon being caught?

Last edited:

I have a question I like to ask of you. If I were to compete in Pokemon World Tournament, which kind of tier pokemon will have the best chance of winning the tournament? Is it the Ubers,Overused,Underused,Neverused,Rarelyused, or anything else?

I have a question I like to ask of you. If I were to compete in Pokemon World Tournament, which kind of tier pokemon will have the best chance of winning the tournament? Is it the Ubers,Overused,Underused,Neverused,Rarelyused, or anything else?

The PWT doesn't go by tier, however if you want somewhat of an answer I'd say Ubers, whatever ones they'll let you use, Ubers tend to have the highest stats but I'm guessing a lot of legendaries will be banned from the PWT.

What are EVs and IVs?
EV's are Effort Values. After Every battle you earn experience, you'll also earn EVs. These EVs help a Pokemon's stats grow. You can EV train in a particular stat by defeating Pokemon that give out the correct EVs to make the stat better. For example if you want a Physical attacker, put EVs into Attack and Speed and max those out. A Pokemon can earn a total of 510 EVs, and a max of 255 per stat. Pokerus doubles the EVs earned in a battle, making it useful for EV training quicker, and a Power Item will also increase the number of EVs you earn in a battle by 4 in that particular stat, combined with Pokerus makes the process quicker and easier. Also, Vitamins like Protein give 10 EVs and Wing items introduced this Gen give out 1. However you can only give a maximum of 10 Vitamins. EVs can be erased using the EV reducing berries, Pomeg, Kelpsey, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa and Tomato berries.

IVs stand for Individual Values. I'ts a hidden number that determinies a Pokemon's stats. IVs can be between 0 and 31. 0 is the least and 31 is perfect, The Higher the IV the higher the stat will be. The stat is the highest possible it can be with a beneficial Nature, an 31 IV and maxed EVs. There is no way to increase IVs. They are set once you catch a Pokemon or take an egg from the Daycare man.

Last edited:

You can also gain more benefits from EVs when you give your Pokemon stuff like Protein and Calcium. If you give a Pokemon one of these, and then level them up, then the stat that the medicine applies to will increase even more, with the obvious exception of PP. Here's a list of each one.

HP Up - HP
Protein - Attack
Calcium - Sp. Attack
Carbos - Speed
Zinc - Sp. Defense
Iron - Defense
PP Up - PP
PP Max - Maxes out the PP of a move

So if you're working on the attack and speed stats, give the Pokemon Protein and Carbos and then level it up via EV training. Rare Candies are not recommended when EV training. xP

Another thing, certain berries will decrease the EVs in a stat. This is useful for when battles like gym battles give your Pokemon EVs you don't want. You can only max two stats, so yeah.

The Macho Brace, I believe, also increases EVs earned in battle, but it lowers the Pokemon's speed too.

The PWT doesn't go by tier, however if you want somewhat of an answer I'd say Ubers, whatever ones they'll let you use, Ubers tend to have the highest stats but I'm guessing a lot of legendaries will be banned from the PWT.

I knew that a lot of the legendary pokemon will be banned from the PWT.

A really quick question about TM's in Gen 5. I just got a level 14 Sandile and want to teach it Dig. However, I know he learns the move naturally at Level 31. What's gonna happen if I teach him Dig via TM now versus him learning it naturally at level 31? Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give to help me with this.

A really quick question about TM's in Gen 5. I just got a level 14 Sandile and want to teach it Dig. However, I know he learns the move naturally at Level 31. What's gonna happen if I teach him Dig via TM now versus him learning it naturally at level 31? Thanks in advance for any info anyone can give to help me with this.

Nothing, just the Sandile won't learn anything at level 31.

Nothing, just the Sandile won't learn anything at level 31.

Oh ok, that's good. I was afraid I was gonna screw with his learn set or something. Thank goodness! Also, thanks for the quick reply. :)

If I may also add, yay for re-usable TMs!!!

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom