• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Can anyone confirm my Theory?

I have a Theory that Dusk Balls seam to be on Japan's Time,
despite the GB's internal clock...

Because, up until 2:00 PM in the afternoon, my dusk balls have amazing catching odds,
But Using them anytime during the night, they have crappy catching odds.. They never work.

I've checked and rechecked my GB's settings several times but they're all right....
I just can't figure it out.

Can anyone confirm my Theory?

I have a Theory that Dusk Balls seam to be on Japan's Time,
despite the GB's internal clock...

Because, up until 2:00 PM in the afternoon, my dusk balls have amazing catching odds,
But Using them anytime during the night, they have crappy catching odds.. They never work.

I've checked and rechecked my GB's settings several times but they're all right....
I just can't figure it out.

Perhaps it's the Pokemon that you're trying to catch with them.

Perhaps it's the Pokemon that you're trying to catch with them.

Well, it was Terrakion, Cobalion, and Virizion who I've been doing.
So, it's not like any other variables were in play while I was doing it.

Well there's your problem. Those three Pokemon have pretty low catch rates to begin with, and Dusk Balls don't really improve your chances too much. If we use Veekun's Poke Ball Performance calculator, and assume that you're using Dusk Balls (at night or in a cave) on a Terrakion that's down to 2 HP and paralyzed, you still only have a 5.5% chance of catching it.

Well there's your problem. Those three Pokemon have pretty low catch rates to begin with, and Dusk Balls don't really improve your chances too much. If we use Veekun's Poke Ball Performance calculator, and assume that you're using Dusk Balls (at night or in a cave) on a Terrakion that's down to 2 HP and paralyzed, you still only have a 5.5% chance of catching it.

Well, yeah but that's what I can't figure out.
At night, Dusk Balls have a 1.5% chance of Catching.
But before 2:00 PM in the Afternoon, that seams more closer to 10%.
(this after continuously resetting on each of these 3 over the course of several days.)

So, either I have the most messed up luck or this game has a odd sense of humor.
Either way, it's not very funny.

Not sure if the right place to post. Has anyone used the pokemon dream radar? What is it like? Do you actually catch pokemon hard to get in-game?

I got a question about Pokemon who get in the Dream World.

Onix with Weak Armor. If you evolve it,
does it's hidden Ability become Shear force?
Or do you have to find a Steelix with Sheer Force on it's own?

Also, this may be subjective, but what should I look for in the Dream World
in terms of what Pokemon I should keep an eye out for and where I should look?
I only ask because I can rack-up a lot of Pokemon in the Tree
but they all seam (to me) to have terrible hidden abilities and never have their Dream moves.

but they all seam (to me) to have terrible hidden abilities and never have their Dream moves.
An Onix with Weak Armor will indeed evolve into a Sheer Force Steelix as Pokemon that have ther hidden abilities retain them when they evolve.

As for what to look for in the Dream World, it's up to what you're looking for. Some people collect Pokemon with Hidden Abilities, while others may look for specific Pokemon for competitive battling or Female Pokemon for breeding or even just Pokemon to help them complete their Pokedex.

An Onix with Weak Armor will indeed evolve into a Sheer Force Steelix as Pokemon that have ther hidden abilities retain them when they evolve.

As for what to look for in the Dream World, it's up to what you're looking for. Some people collect Pokemon with Hidden Abilities, while others may look for specific Pokemon for competitive battling or Female Pokemon for breeding or even just Pokemon to help them complete their Pokedex.

Well, that's what I've been doing, just grabbing up older dex Pokemon
But since I found out you could get dozens of Pokemon in the Dream tree,
I discovered that my new problem was to decide which I would take
So I figured I'd sort out the ones with useless hidden abilities first.

But I guess I'm just trying to find something special while I'm at it too,
something I might actually use one day.

Not sure if the right place to post. Has anyone used the pokemon dream radar? What is it like? Do you actually catch pokemon hard to get in-game?

I have the Dream Radar on my 3DS. It's pretty fun. Basically, you use the 3DS's AR camera to look around the room and shoot clouds with orbs. When you shoot darker clouds, they'll release a special glowing orb that you can shoot for a chance to get Pokémon or items. Rarer Pokémon have orbs that move faster, attack back more often, or phase in and out.

The controls are fairly simple. Move the 3DS around to look around the area, and press A to shoot (holding down A produces a continuous beam that is useful for wearing down Pokémon or items you're trying to capture). The only thing that bugs me is that sometimes the Pokémon (especially the Kami trio and other legendaries) will sometimes keep moving higher and higher, so you have to crane your neck upwards to try to catch them (or wait for them to come back down, if you have enough time).

If you want to know the types of Pokémon you can catch, check out this page. Note that all Pokémon caught in the Dream Radar will have their hidden ability (except Rotom, but only because Rotom has no hidden ability).

Hello! I bought Pokemon Diamond a few days ago, I would like to learn any basic knowledge that I should have before going on, such as a pokemon I might not want to miss from the beginning, any "one time" events and stuff like that. Not any major spoilers, just simple things to have in mind. I just defeated the first gym leader. So far I have a Kadabra, Monferno, Machop, Starly, Bidoof (I heard it's a good pokemon to teach HM's) and a Luxio, should I start a thread for this? I would like to continue asking questions about the game.

@Vil; To answer your question, threads like this are the best place to ask game questions, not individual threads. We have a Simple Questions/Simple Answers thread for older games, so any questions are best placed in that thread. It can be found here.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-4)

Hello! I bought Pokemon Diamond a few days ago, I would like to learn any basic knowledge that I should have before going on, such as a pokemon I might not want to miss from the beginning, any "one time" events and stuff like that. Not any major spoilers, just simple things to have in mind. I just defeated the first gym leader. So far I have a Kadabra, Monferno, Machop, Starly, Bidoof (I heard it's a good pokemon to teach HM's) and a Luxio. The last Pokemon game I played was Emerald and that was over 5 years ago, so I'm pretty rusty with the whole game mechanics, weaknesses, stats, breeding, etc. Thanks!

Hello! I bought Pokemon Diamond a few days ago, I would like to learn any basic knowledge that I should have before going on, such as a pokemon I might not want to miss from the beginning, any "one time" events and stuff like that. Not any major spoilers, just simple things to have in mind. I just defeated the first gym leader. So far I have a Kadabra, Monferno, Machop, Starly, Bidoof (I heard it's a good pokemon to teach HM's) and a Luxio. The last Pokemon game I played was Emerald and that was over 5 years ago, so I'm pretty rusty with the whole game mechanics, weaknesses, stats, breeding, etc. Thanks!

The type chart and weeknesses can be found here

Do you have any specific questions about breeding, game mechanics and such?

What power items am I able to find in-game? I have both versions.
Power Bracer-Adds 4 Attack EVs found in Battle Subway(16BP) and PWT in BW2
Power Weight- Adds 4 HP EVs, found in Battle Subway(16 BP) PWT and Rt 4(BW2 only)
Power Belt-Adds 4 Defence EVs per battle, found in Battle Subway, PWT and Plasma Frigate(W2 only)
Power Lens-Adds 4 Special Attack EVs per battle. Found in Battle Subway,PWT and Rt 13(B2 only)
Power Band-Adds 4 Special Defence EVs per battle. Found in Battle Subway, PWT and Plasma Frigate(B2); Rt 13(W2)
Power Anklet-Adds 4 Speed EVs per battle. Found at Battle Subway, PWT,Rt 4(B2)

Pokerus doubles EVs earned with these Power Items

Thank you!
And a question I have right now: I went to the global trading thing in Jubilife city (I think that's what it's called) and I learned about the two ways you can get a pokemon, by searching for it to see if anyone offers it in exchange for a specific pokemon, or requesting one and offering another in return, I selected the "search" option, but I can only see a few of the pokemon that I've seen so far (not even all of the ones I´ve seen). So basically my question is: Will there be a point in the game when I can request for any pokemon? And can I only ask for the ones that are catchable in the wild in the diamond version?

Thank you!
And a question I have right now: I went to the global trading thing in Jubilife city (I think that's what it's called) and I learned about the two ways you can get a pokemon, by searching for it to see if anyone offers it in exchange for a specific pokemon, or requesting one and offering another in return, I selected the "search" option, but I can only see a few of the pokemon that I've seen so far (not even all of the ones I´ve seen). So basically my question is: Will there be a point in the game when I can request for any pokemon? And can I only ask for the ones that are catchable in the wild in the diamond version?
You need to have seen a Pokemon before it can be requested, the more you've seen, the more you can search for, but you wont be able to search anything you havent seen no matter what part of the game you are at.

Thank you!

You need to have seen a Pokemon before it can be requested, the more you've seen, the more you can search for, but you wont be able to search anything you havent seen no matter what part of the game you are at.

On the flip side, you can ask for any pokemon in our GTS forums and set up trades there with other users.

Thank you! I will probably keep coming back with more questions, I'll try to ask as few as possible so it doesn't get annoying.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom