• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

I know this thread is called "simple questions; simple answers", but this is a bit complex. I apologize if this has been hashed out before.

I have a few questions concerning breeding that aren't 100% clear to me for whatever reason, and I'm hoping someone can spell it out for me.

1. I understand that power items pass on the IV's of the parent it is attached to, according to the item. However, some articles I've read suggest that if a power item is attached to both parents, only one of them is passed on? If this is the case, is it one of the stats with the band, or does it simple "increase the chances" if the desired IV to be passed down?

For instance, I'm trying to breed an Hidden Power Fire onto a child pokemon. The Mother has 30 Special Attack and 31 Special Defense. The Father has a 30 Speed and a 31 Special Defense. My theory is that, if I equip the mother with the SPATK Item and the Father with the Speed Item, then the only babies I should consider are ones with the desired nature and have a "Somewhat Vain" Characteristic. Since the Speed and SPATK are "guaranteed", the only stat "Somewhat Vain" could be is 31. Now, after that, I know that the Hidden Power could be Water, Fire, or Steel, and at that point, it would just be a matter of waiting, but my main question is: is all of this correct thinking, or am I missing something?

2. In previous generations, if the father's moveset changed such that your desired move would be forgotten, the children reflected this. I have noticed so far that, in this generation, that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems that the moves that the father learned at the time he was placed in the daycare stay until the father is taken out of the daycare. Can anyone confirm this? The only reason I ask is that I'm chain-breeding, and I can't simply get my move back with a Heart Scale. (I know I can use the offspring should I decide to take him out, but I'm just wondering)

Thanks to anyone who bothers to read all of this and give me a straight answer!

I don't know the answer to your first question (but if someone else could please answer, I'm curious too!!) but as to your second - the level up moveset of a pokemon only changes when you actually remove them from the daycare. E.g. you can put a level 20 Marowak into daycare and walk around til that thing is level 100, but as long as you don't take it out it'll be passing on whatever its level 20 moveset was onto the babies. This is useful if you've taught it an egg move it'll now have forgotten, because you can just hang around until a male baby gets the move!

I can't confirm this for gen 4 -, but it's definitely true for gen 5. Source: my extensive breeding career :p

I have another breeding question: can somebody please confirm that this is true?

In gen 4 a baby pokemon's gender, nature and ability are generated along with the egg, but IVs are not generated until you receive the egg from the daycare man. This means that if you save before picking up the egg, you can SR for desired IVs.

However in gen 5 everything is generated with the egg, meaning you cannot SR for desired IVs.

I ask because I always forget if SRing before receiving the egg in gen 5 actually resets the entire pokemon or doesn't reset anything at all o_O

Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

What is a Pseudo-STAB move? I'm looking to add a Victreebel to my team and I've discovered that Weather Ball in the sun is a pseudo-STAB move, what does that mean? I recognise Pseudo from Pseudo-Legendary (Metagross, Garchomp etc.) and STAB meaning same type attack bonus. Is Weather ball only Pseudo-STAB if used in the sun? Can you explain it to me please?

Last edited:

What is a Pseudo-STAB move? I'm looking to add a Victreebel to my team and I've discovered that Weather Ball in the sun is a pseudo-STAM move, what does that mean? I recognise Pseudo from Pseudo-Legendary (Metagross, Garchomp etc.) and STAB meaning same type attack bonus. Is Weather ball only Pseudo-STAB if used in the sun? Can you explain it to me please?

It's said that it's "Pseudo-STAB" because it's a Fire move in the Sun. So, it's base power becomes 100, and then the Sun's bonus to Fire moves is applied, which is 1.5x. Since STAB is also a 1.5 multiplier, it's said that those who do not possess the type of their move, but still gain a 1.5 multiplier to that specific move are called "pseudo" STAB moves.

For the new Mystery Dungeon coming out in the US next week, does anyone know if the DLC works with the physical copy of the game, or do you have to purchase the digital copy in order to use the DLC?
Similarly, can the demo data be transferred to either copy, or only to the digital one?

Does anyone know if the Gamestop Meloetta can be downloaded to B/W? I just tried it today on my White cartridge and it wasn't picking it up at all (via wireless). Serebii's event database says it's for B/W as well as B2/W2, but according to Bulbapedia, it's only for B2/W2.

Or maybe there's something wrong my my 3DS's wifi settings?

I posted this in the Meloetta topic but I figured maybe I'm more likely to get an answer here.

It's for both BW/BW2 as I was able to successfully DL it onto both my W and W2 carts yesterday.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-4)

Why isn't Drifloon appearing on Platinum? It's a Friday and it won't appear.. I restarted my Platinum and beat Team Galactic about a week ago and I was looking forward to today. Today is when Drifloon appears which is my flying member of the team but it won't appear! I tried around 4:00 PM and 6:00 PM. WHAT'S IS GOING ON? (Btw played on a 3ds with the correct date)

and

for Pokemon R/S/E Gym leader battle, where exactly are the trumpets? o-o
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald- Gym Leader Battle - YouTube

Re: Migrating in Black and White 1

I did not post in the simple thread because I need help with the migrating process from White Forest into my Black City. I need to migrate everyone from my White Forest but the problem is no one want to migrate when I talk to the dudes in the Grey side. I have 10 dudes in Black City but when I engage a conversation they want to battle instead and they will not migrate. Right now I have 9 dudes showing in the grey side in White Forest and in Black City Britney is the only one visible. I don't know what their values are set at. I have been checking without saving but I don't know if points are still added when I do this. I have been trying to migrate for nearly 2 weeks and still no one has moved. I have done about 70 missions and a few feelings checks last week but I am not sure if those have any impact on their values though. I am not sure how high the values can be or if checking without saving still adds points anyway. If someone knows how to do this please post here or PM/VM me. Thanks XD. Oh Aron and Shinx are the only Pokemon in White Forest right now XD.:)

Did anyone see my post XD? Thanks.:)

Am I right in saying that Hex won't get the damage bonus from just Confusion, and that it has to be Burn / Poison / Paralysis / Frozen to work?

Does anyone know if the Gamestop Meloetta can be downloaded to B/W? I just tried it today on my White cartridge and it wasn't picking it up at all (via wireless). Serebii's event database says it's for B/W as well as B2/W2, but according to Bulbapedia, it's only for B2/W2.

Or maybe there's something wrong my my 3DS's wifi settings?

I posted this in the Meloetta topic but I figured maybe I'm more likely to get an answer here.

Yep, it's definitely available for all four Generation V games. On top of what @yourlilemogirl was saying, this Bulbapedia page is a great place to keep track of local Pokémon distribution events and the games they're available for; and this is the same but for Wi-Fi events. The 'See also' section at the bottom of both pages has links to info for all the games.

Last edited:

Hi all!

When battling online in BW2 (particularly Random and Ranked battles) are you allowed for two or more Pokemon to hold the same item? For instance, could two of my Pokemon have a Life Orb and can the other two have one Leftovers each?

I did not post in the simple thread because I need help with the migrating process from White Forest into my Black City. I need to migrate everyone from my White Forest but the problem is no one want to migrate when I talk to the dudes in the Grey side. I have 10 dudes in Black City but when I engage a conversation they want to battle instead and they will not migrate. Right now I have 9 dudes showing in the grey side in White Forest and in Black City Britney is the only one visible. I don't know what their values are set at. I have been checking without saving but I don't know if points are still added when I do this. I have been trying to migrate for nearly 2 weeks and still no one has moved. I have done about 70 missions and a few feelings checks last week but I am not sure if those have any impact on their values though. I am not sure how high the values can be or if checking without saving still adds points anyway. If someone knows how to do this please post here or PM/VM me. Thanks XD. Oh Aron and Shinx are the only Pokemon in White Forest right now XD.:)

Are the 10 people in Black City in the actual city, or in the Entralink ("grey side")? Because if Black City already has 10 people in it, you won't be able to recruit any from White Forest until at least one of them leaves.

Are the 10 people in Black City in the actual city, or in the Entralink ("grey side")? Because if Black City already has 10 people in it, you won't be able to recruit any from White Forest until at least one of them leaves.

Yeah there are 10 people in Black City. How do I get them out of there XD? Note I have tried messing with the time to reset both areas XD. That did not work. I think both areas are locked but not sure. I have not been there since Saturday afternoon. How long does it take for everything to reset if I don't enter either area? I have tried checking without saving but that does nothing apparently XD.:)

FAQ: SImple Questions/Simple Answers

Yeah there are 10 people in Black City. How do I get them out of there XD? Note I have tried messing with the time to reset both areas XD. That did not work. I think both areas are locked but not sure. I have not been there since Saturday afternoon. How long does it take for everything to reset if I don't enter either area? I have tried checking without saving but that does nothing apparently XD.:)

The Bulbapedia articles for Black City and White Forest have some more information on them, but the gist of it is that each trainer has a certain assigned number value. The number goes down by 5 every calendar day, goes up by 3 for entering the area, and up by another 10 for interacting with the trainer. They leave the area when their value hits 0. Long story short, the fastest way to get them to leave is to not enter the area for a good stretch of time. That being said, their net value will go down even if you enter the area (as long as you don't interact with them), but it will take longer for them to go.

For the new Mystery Dungeon coming out in the US next week, does anyone know if the DLC works with the physical copy of the game, or do you have to purchase the digital copy in order to use the DLC?
Similarly, can the demo data be transferred to either copy, or only to the digital one?

OK, so I did a bit more research, and found that the demo data can be transferred to either the physical or digital copy, but I still don't know about the DLC. Anyone with the Japanese games know if the DLC works with their physical cartridge copy?

Re: FAQ: SImple Questions/Simple Answers

The Bulbapedia articles for Black City and White Forest have some more information on them, but the gist of it is that each trainer has a certain assigned number value. The number goes down by 5 every calendar day, goes up by 3 for entering the area, and up by another 10 for interacting with the trainer. They leave the area when their value hits 0. Long story short, the fastest way to get them to leave is to not enter the area for a good stretch of time. That being said, their net value will go down even if you enter the area (as long as you don't interact with them), but it will take longer for them to go.

OK, so I did a bit more research, and found that the demo data can be transferred to either the physical or digital copy, but I still don't know about the DLC. Anyone with the Japanese games know if the DLC works with their physical cartridge copy?

Yeah I know that part XD. I don't know what each trainers values are though. I heard that if you change the clock at any time you can actually lock the areas and the only way to unlock them is to wait several days to let the areas reset. How do we know what their maximum values can be? If we can find out what they can be then I will know exactly how long to wait XD.:)

I saw on Bulbapedia that the move Metronome never calls on Freeze Shock, Ice Burn, Secret Sword, Techno Blast, and V-Create to be used.

Is there any logical explanation for this?

I saw on Bulbapedia that the move Metronome never calls on Freeze Shock, Ice Burn, Secret Sword, Techno Blast, and V-Create to be used.

Is there any logical explanation for this?

Presumably because they're very powerful signature moves of various legendary Pokémon. Freeze Shock and Ice Burn are moves that only came about through the amalgam of Kyurem and Zekrom or Reshiram, not common knowledge moves. Secret Sword is, well, a secret. Techno Blast was created using technology and V-Create is a very special event move. Logically, those moves aren't called because they are either mythical, were made by recent in-game technology or were part of the mythical joining of Kyurem with Zekrom / Reshiram.

Pros and Cons of stopping evolution.

What are the pros and cons of not letting your Pokemon evolve? I heard at one point that they level faster at a lower evolutionary stage. What have you heard? Specifically in reference to Pokemon White

Re: Pros and Cons of stopping evolution.

What are the pros and cons of not letting your Pokemon evolve? I heard at one point that they level faster at a lower evolutionary stage. What have you heard? Specifically in reference to Pokemon White

The rate of EXP gain has nothing to do with what evolution stage they're at. It mostly depends on what level they are. The article about experience points goes into more detail about what determines the growth rate of a Pokemon

One advantage is that Pokemon that evolve by leveling up will learn all their moves sooner than their evolved counterparts, while those that evolve by evolution stones can only learn their good moves before evolving. One disadvantage is that they'll have lower stats than their evolved counterparts. Although in Gen V, you can use an Eviolite to boost a not fully evolved Pokemon's defense and special defense stats by 50%.

Re: Pros and Cons of stopping evolution.

Yeah I know that part XD. I don't know what each trainers values are though. I heard that if you change the clock at any time you can actually lock the areas and the only way to unlock them is to wait several days to let the areas reset. How do we know what their maximum values can be? If we can find out what they can be then I will know exactly how long to wait XD.:)

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a way to know a trainer's current value, so you just need to keep checking back every once in a while to see if they've left. As for the maximum value, I am not aware of one myself, but I'd assume it couldn't be any higher than 255 for the sake of coding. They may have even set it to a lower number like 100, but I am not sure.

The main advantage to not evolving Pokémon is that lower evolutionary stages learn some moves faster than their evolutions (for example, Snivy learns Leaf Storm at Lv. 43, while Servine learns it at Lv. 52 and Serperior doesn't learn it until Lv. 62). There are also some moves that only the lower evolutions will learn by level up (this is especially true in evolutions involving evolutionary stones, or evolutions which change a Pokemon's types).

A few other Pokémon are viewed as useful competitively in a lower evolutionary stage, especially in tandem with the item Eviolite (Porygon2, for example, is a much better tank than PorygonZ).

Other than those two things, though, I don't believe there are any other big advantages to evolving a Pokémon later. Evolution doesn't affect experience rates or EV training.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom