• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Pros and Cons of stopping evolution.

What are the pros and cons of not letting your Pokemon evolve? I heard at one point that they level faster at a lower evolutionary stage. What have you heard? Specifically in reference to Pokemon White

Other than learning moves a little faster, there's not much benefit. There may be a bracket of levels where it levels faster because of experience group, but this will be countered with a lull in another bracket of levels (as far as I know). The best way to figure this out is to check out what experience group the Pokémon you're raising in is and use that to see if it's worth your while holding off on evolution.

However, take Foongus and Amoongus for example: Foongus and Amoongus are in different experience groups, but it still takes 1,000,000 experience points to raise either one to level 100.

The difference would hardly be noticeable overall though, in my opinion.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-4)

I'm playing Fire Red, and I have a couple questions:

1. My Vileplume's moveset is Petal Dance, Acid, Sleep Powder, and Moonlight. Should I replace one of these with Giga Drain? I'm leaning towards replacing Petal Dance, since it's special attack stat is higher than it's attack stat, but I want a second opinion. This is just for in-game, not competitive.

2. Right now my party is at level 51. I've been rematching four trainers, two with Machop and Machoke, and a duo with Machoke and Primeape, all around level 38. I noticed that they yield more experience points than the wild Pokemon in Victory Road (one of which is Machoke), which are around level 46. For example, a wild Machoke at level 46 only yields around 900 EXP, while a trainer's level 38 Machoke yields around 1100 EXP. Why is this? Do trained Pokemon yield more experience points than wild Pokemon?

Last edited:
Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

Great, thanks! :)

Sorry to repost, but I didn't get a reply first time. When battling online in BW2 (particularly Random and Ranked battles from the Pokemon Center) are you allowed for two or more Pokemon to hold the same item?

For instance, could two of my Pokemon hold a Life Orb each and could the other two have hold one Leftovers each?

Last edited by a moderator:

This is really urgent so... yeah.

In the Battle Frontier in Pokemon Emerald...

Can the Wild Pokemon in the Battle Pike and/or the Battle Pyramid be Shiny?

This is really urgent so... yeah.

In the Battle Frontier in Pokemon Emerald...

Can the Wild Pokemon in the Battle Pike and/or the Battle Pyramid be Shiny?

Yes, but you can't catch them though.

Re: Pros and Cons of stopping evolution.

Yeah I know that part XD. I don't know what each trainers values are though. I heard that if you change the clock at any time you can actually lock the areas and the only way to unlock them is to wait several days to let the areas reset. How do we know what their maximum values can be? If we can find out what they can be then I will know exactly how long to wait XD.:)

Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a way to know a trainer's current value, so you just need to keep checking back every once in a while to see if they've left. As for the maximum value, I am not aware of one myself, but I'd assume it couldn't be any higher than 255 for the sake of coding. They may have even set it to a lower number like 100, but I am not sure.

What are the pros and cons of not letting your Pokemon evolve? I heard at one point that they level faster at a lower evolutionary stage. What have you heard? Specifically in reference to Pokemon White

The main advantage to not evolving Pokémon is that lower evolutionary stages learn some moves faster than their evolutions (for example, Snivy learns Leaf Storm at Lv. 43, while Servine learns it at Lv. 52 and Serperior doesn't learn it until Lv. 62). There are also some moves that only the lower evolutions will learn by level up (this is especially true in evolutions involving evolutionary stones, or evolutions which change a Pokemon's types).

A few other Pokémon are viewed as useful competitively in a lower evolutionary stage, especially in tandem with the item Eviolite (Porygon2, for example, is a much better tank than PorygonZ).

Other than those two things, though, I don't believe there are any other big advantages to evolving a Pokémon later. Evolution doesn't affect experience rates or EV training.

So if it is 100 I need to wait 20 days or so before I even enter those areas? If it is 255 then I need to wait around 50 days before I enter? So around 20 to 50 days before I can migrate? My first day was Sunday XD so around April 10 10 May 25 or something like that? I will check in 3 ish weeks if the values are that high XD.:)

Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

Great, thanks! :)

Sorry to repost, but I didn't get a reply first time. When battling online in BW2 (particularly Random and Ranked battles from the Pokemon Center) are you allowed for two or more Pokemon to hold the same item?

For instance, could two of my Pokemon hold a Life Orb each and could the other two have hold one Leftovers each?

I think the Item Clause is always in effect for those kinds of battles. As far as I'm aware, the only way to battle without the Item Clause via WiFi is in the WiFi room using the 'No Restrictions' battle rules.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

There is a medal called "Capturing Spree" which has a requirement description of "Capture at least 50 Pokémon within one day". Does this mean register at least 50 Pokémon in the Pokédex in one day or catching, hatching or obtaining at least 50 Pokémon in one day? If the second guess is correct can trading a Pokémon be a "capture"?

There is a medal called "Capturing Spree" which has a requirement description of "Capture at least 50 Pokémon within one day". Does this mean register at least 50 Pokémon in the Pokédex in one day or catching, hatching or obtaining at least 50 Pokémon in one day? If the second guess is correct can trading a Pokémon be a "capture"?

You do not need to register 50 new Pokémon, just obtain 50 new Pokémon, so your latter statement is correct. And yes, trading Pokémon with friends or transferring them through the PokéTransfer are both viable methods to obtain new Pokémon.

Hidden Grottos and SR

Hi!. I've been looking for some rare pokemon in Hidden Grottos, but since walking 256 steps takes some time, i decided to make some SR, at the entrance of the grotto. My question is, have anybody tried this? did it work? where did you save the game? I'm asking this because i've sred many times, but I get nothig, not even items. I started to count the steps while picking a repel on Abundant Shrine HG, and saved at the 255th step, one step from the entrance.

Re: Hidden Grottos and SR

Hi!. I've been looking for some rare pokemon in Hidden Grottos, but since walking 256 steps takes some time, i decided to make some SR, at the entrance of the grotto. My question is, have anybody tried this? did it work? where did you save the game? I'm asking this because i've sred many times, but I get nothig, not even items. I started to count the steps while picking a repel on Abundant Shrine HG, and saved at the 255th step, one step from the entrance.
Hidden Grottos cant be soft resetted IIRC, Ive tried this myself and it dosent work. Once a Hidden Grotto is full you must collect the item or capture/KO a Pokemon that's in it to respawn it and walk 256 steps again.

Pokemon GSC; Are effort values (EV's) given when a pokemon is switched?

Hi,

well this question is regarding the Pokemon Generation II games: Gold/Silver/Crystal (G/S/C), since all the info I could find on Google was about newer games (and I find that rather sad).

So anyway, the question is, whether effort values (I think they're also called stat exp??) are given if a pokemon is switched to another pokemon? For instance I have a magikarp at level 10, I start a fight, switch it off to another pokemon and that other pokemon beats that pokemon, so will both get effort values or neither? Because somehow if I remember correctly a pokemon only gets effort values if it beats the other pokemon alone, but maybe I'm wrong on this one? So basically this would mean that either level up a magikarp by switching it or rare candy would give the same effect, right?

So are there any people who know for sure? Thanks in advance.

Re: Pokemon GSC; Are effort values (EV's) given when a pokemon is switched?

Hi,

well this question is regarding the Pokemon Generation II games: Gold/Silver/Crystal (G/S/C), since all the info I could find on Google was about newer games (and I find that rather sad).

So anyway, the question is, whether effort values (I think they're also called stat exp??) are given if a pokemon is switched to another pokemon? For instance I have a magikarp at level 10, I start a fight, switch it off to another pokemon and that other pokemon beats that pokemon, so will both get effort values or neither? Because somehow if I remember correctly a pokemon only gets effort values if it beats the other pokemon alone, but maybe I'm wrong on this one? So basically this would mean that either level up a magikarp by switching it or rare candy would give the same effect, right?

So are there any people who know for sure? Thanks in advance.

As far as being given EV's, so long as a pokemon participated in battle, and the opponent pokemon was taken down, any one who participated in the battle will get the full amount of EV's.

When EV Training does it go something like this?

I have my Servine i've had through the story, I've pokechecked it and want to change its EVs, when I use the EV reduction berries and boost them to the correct EV counts, will the stats update in real time or in the next level up?

The point is, does changing EVs change stats, or does the next level stack on to what the previous EV set gave you?

I have my Servine i've had through the story, I've pokechecked it and want to change its EVs, when I use the EV reduction berries and boost them to the correct EV counts, will the stats update in real time or in the next level up?

The point is, does changing EVs change stats, or does the next level stack on to what the previous EV set gave you?

To the best of my knowledge, the stats only change in 'real time' if your Servine is at Lv. 100; other than that it'll just reduce the EV points invested and you'll have to level up for the new stats to take effect.

To the best of my knowledge, the stats only change in 'real time' if your Servine is at Lv. 100; other than that it'll just reduce the EV points invested and you'll have to level up for the new stats to take effect.

Nope!, the stats get updated at real time, you don't even need a battle to recalculate the EVs.

Nope!, the stats get updated at real time, you don't even need a battle to recalculate the EVs.

Ah! Sorry, my bad. Thanks, pastafari!

Excuse me. I know it may sounds too clear, but do you have a Torchic that has the Speed Boost ability with either the Jolly or Adamant nature? I'll be trading any pokemon for it. I wanted to get it fair and square.

Excuse me. I know it may sounds too clear, but do you have a Torchic that has the Speed Boost ability with either the Jolly or Adamant nature? I'll be trading any pokemon for it. I wanted to get it fair and square.
You may want to ask this in the Bulbagarden Global Trade Station for trade requests

You may want to ask this in the Bulbagarden Global Trade Station for trade requests

On second thought, I change my mind. I just realized that there's another way to put Blaziken into good use.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom