• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Something that is bothering me is that I'm trying to max out EV's in certain stats, but I'm not 100% sure if a specific stat is maxed. For example, Bianca tells me that my Garchomp "seems like it can work a little harder. But I think it worked hard on its Attack!"

Does that mean it's maxed?

That means it can still earn more EV's but its Attack stat has maxed out.

• "Seems like it can work a little harder." = Pokémon can still earn more EV's.
  • "It has worked really hard hasn't it?" = Pokémon can't earn any more EV's.
  • "I think it has worked particularly hard on its [stat]!" = Pokémon has reached the maximum of 252 EV's in a certain stat.

Hope that helps.

Yes, it does, thank you. I didn't want to have to continue to waste time trying to max an EV even though it wasn't necessary.

In PMD:Gates to Infinity, does leveling up moves do anything else other than raise the move's power?

I'm asking this because I noticed that Dragon Rage can be leveled up despite the fact that it deals a set amount of damage, and I even tried leveling it up and saw no difference. And I'm pretty sure that only the move dojos can improve PP and maybe accuracy IRC.

In PMD:Gates to Infinity, does leveling up moves do anything else other than raise the move's power?

I'm asking this because I noticed that Dragon Rage can be leveled up despite the fact that it deals a set amount of damage, and I even tried leveling it up and saw no difference. And I'm pretty sure that only the move dojos can improve PP and maybe accuracy IRC.

I think leveling up the move can also improve the accuracy and raise the PP by 1 each level. I almost never use the dojo, and I still see that kind of improvement in my moves' stats.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-4)

Hey all,

I'm planning on going back to gen 3, buying the games I don't have and a spare gba and completing the pokedex. I just have a few questions....

1. Can I complete the pokedex at this point in time (or, how far can I get through it)?
2. One of my games (leafgreen) is one of those fake ones where you can't migrate the pokemon to a gen 4 game. Does this mean I can't trade the pokemon to a gen 3 game as well?
3. What about gen 4? Can I complete that pokedex now?

Hey all,

I'm planning on going back to gen 3, buying the games I don't have and a spare gba and completing the pokedex. I just have a few questions....

1. Can I complete the pokedex at this point in time (or, how far can I get through it)?
2. One of my games (leafgreen) is one of those fake ones where you can't migrate the pokemon to a gen 4 game. Does this mean I can't trade the pokemon to a gen 3 game as well?

1. You could, but it's not likely on a 3rd Gen game unless you exclude the event legendaries for Gen 3: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys and Ho-Oh and Lugia. The events to get the items needed to reach them are long gone and you'd need a Gen 4 game and wifi to get them (and even then, to have seen them to search on the GTS for them, unless you get an out and out trade). Otherwise, yes, you should be able to get every other Pokemon so long as you have all of the games from Gen 3.

2. It depends. Certainly, you can trade between Gen 3 games from your LeafGreen since the fakeness of it doesn't (usually) stop you from trades. The "depends" part comes from my own personal experience: my old Emerald was fake and, after so many uses, it just stopped being able to save. It said that the game stopped because it had no backup memory (regardless if I had a previous save or not) and then the save would be nulled. So long as your LeafGreen game still saves properly, you can trade Pokemon from it between Gen 3 games.

3. Again, you could but it isn't likely. It IS more likely than Gen 3 (due to wifi and GTS), but still not that much higher due to the "having to see it to search for it" requirement. Out and out trades are easiest for these types of Pokemon and, again, most are event exclusives due to wifi events no longer being obtainable. As of now, these Pokemon are not obtainable in Gen 4 since they were events: Mew (unless you have My Pokemon Ranch for the Wii, where you can get a Mew by depositing 999 Pokemon into the game), Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus. You also won't be able to get Rotom's alternate formes unless you transfer to a Gen V game where they are freely available. I have excluded Regigigas from the list because he requires the other 3 Regis to be present to catch (there was an event to get him though), but you have that covered with your Gen 3 games. Manaphy can also be obtained with the Gen IV Pokemon Ranger games (there will be a certain point where you can receive a Manaphy egg which you can transfer to a Gen IV game, Phione is obtainable by breeding the hatched Manaphy). Again, so long as you transfer all of your Gen 3 Pokemon and get the events through trades, yes, you can complete it between all that you have.

Hey all,

1. You could, but it's not likely on a 3rd Gen game unless you exclude the event legendaries for Gen 3: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys and Ho-Oh and Lugia. The events to get the items needed to reach them are long gone and you'd need a Gen 4 game and wifi to get them (and even then, to have seen them to search on the GTS for them, unless you get an out and out trade). Otherwise, yes, you should be able to get every other Pokemon so long as you have all of the games from Gen 3.

2. It depends. Certainly, you can trade between Gen 3 games from your LeafGreen since the fakeness of it doesn't (usually) stop you from trades. The "depends" part comes from my own personal experience: my old Emerald was fake and, after so many uses, it just stopped being able to save. It said that the game stopped because it had no backup memory (regardless if I had a previous save or not) and then the save would be nulled. So long as your LeafGreen game still saves properly, you can trade Pokemon from it between Gen 3 games.

3. Again, you could but it isn't likely. It IS more likely than Gen 3 (due to wifi and GTS), but still not that much higher due to the "having to see it to search for it" requirement. Out and out trades are easiest for these types of Pokemon and, again, most are event exclusives due to wifi events no longer being obtainable. As of now, these Pokemon are not obtainable in Gen 4 since they were events: Mew (unless you have My Pokemon Ranch for the Wii, where you can get a Mew by depositing 999 Pokemon into the game), Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus. You also won't be able to get Rotom's alternate formes unless you transfer to a Gen V game where they are freely available. I have excluded Regigigas from the list because he requires the other 3 Regis to be present to catch (there was an event to get him though), but you have that covered with your Gen 3 games. Manaphy can also be obtained with the Gen IV Pokemon Ranger games (there will be a certain point where you can receive a Manaphy egg which you can transfer to a Gen IV game, Phione is obtainable by breeding the hatched Manaphy). Again, so long as you transfer all of your Gen 3 Pokemon and get the events through trades, yes, you can complete it between all that you have.

Does the game count you completing the dex if you don have those pokemon?

QUESTION!! - from SystemError's blog

From the Emerald game... it looks like Wally caught the shiny Ralts instead.

BUT will the Ralts stay shiny and evolve into a shiny Gardevoir? Or will it change back to a normal Ralts with green hair later when you battle him?

BUT will the Ralts stay shiny and evolve into a shiny Gardevoir? Or will it change back to a normal Ralts with green hair later when you battle him?

It won't be shiny. The Ralts he catches is ramdomly generated like any other wild Pokemon, while the one he uses in battle is programmed to not be shiny.

Help me, please?

I'm playing White 2 and I've just got the 8th badge and the rival and I have jut split up to look for Team Plasma. I've looked online and it says that to proceed, the Plasma Frigate is off of Seaside Cave-- BUT you need the Colress MCHN to get out there. I don't _have_ Colress MCHN because Colress and Terrakion don't appear when I enter Route 22 (as they should). The only thing that I can think might cause this is I beat both Route 22 and Seaside Cave before getting the gym badge to level grind.

Is there anything I could possibly do other than just restarting the game to fix this?

Re: Help me, please?

Did you try going to that spot where terakion and colress appear again? Or did you probably skip an in game event before they appear?

I want to know if any Breeders out there could answer this for me.

I have a male Lucario
Jolly, Likes to Thrash
IVs: 6, 7 / 31 / 30 / 30 / 30 / 16

I also have a Female Lucario
Jolly, Likes to Run
IVs: 30 / 0, 1 / 28, 29 / 30 / 28, 29 / 30

What is the Likely-hood of hatching a Riolu with
Jolly, Likes to Thrash
IVs: 30 / 31 / 30 / 30 / 30 / 30

And I've been using Power bracer and an everstone to get this far but their usefulness seamed to run out on me.
The more I try to keep going any further with this, the more other stats keep dropping off.

For example,
Equipping the male with Power bracer and the Female with the Everstone gives me:
Jolly, Likes to Thrash
IVs: 30, 31 / 31 / 5 - 9 / 30 / 25, 27, 29 / 11, 13

Last edited:

I'm playing White 2 and I've just got the 8th badge and the rival and I have jut split up to look for Team Plasma. I've looked online and it says that to proceed, the Plasma Frigate is off of Seaside Cave-- BUT you need the Colress MCHN to get out there. I don't _have_ Colress MCHN because Colress and Terrakion don't appear when I enter Route 22 (as they should). The only thing that I can think might cause this is I beat both Route 22 and Seaside Cave before getting the gym badge to level grind.

Is there anything I could possibly do other than just restarting the game to fix this?

1. Did you catch both the previous Musketeers, by any chance? Or at least Cobalion?

2. Have you tried walking further into Route 22??

I didnt catch any of them and they all still appeared, including Terrakion. Its not a requirement in the story. Colress appeared and gave me the Colress MCHN like normal, are you sure you didnt skip anything in game? @Dashkin13;?

I didnt catch any of them and they all still appeared, including Terrakion. Its not a requirement in the story. Colress appeared and gave me the Colress MCHN like normal, are you sure you didnt skip anything in game? @Dashkin13;?

Hmm... then it does seem she may have skipped something...

Got badge - split up with Hugh - but Colress should appear :/

Hey all,

Does the game count you completing the dex if you don have those pokemon?

Yes. You can get the diploma without getting Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Ho-Oh and Lugia for Gen 3. For Gen 4, you do not need Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Darkrai, Phione, Manaphy, Shaymin or Arceus. You do need Regigigas though. For Gen IV though, you need to see all of the Sinnoh Dex to get the National one. This is all possible in one game though, so long as you fight every trainer and see the opposing box legend for DP (in a book in Celestic Town, in Plat. you see both at Spear Pillar). For Platinum, Manaphy needs to be seen as well, also in a book (Backlot's Mansion).

Hey all,

GenIII is probably the hardest generation to complete the national dex on one game. This is because tonnes of Hoenn Pokémon are not available in FRLG, and tonnes of Kanto Pokémon are unavailable on RSE. Over 100 Pokémon are missing in any game, so that's a lot of trading. To make things easier, you could get Pokémon Box for the GameCube. It's basically a huge storage box (1500 Pokémon), which unlike Pokémon Ranch lets you withdraw Pokémon using anygame (after certain, but easy, requirements are met). You can upload a whole PC of Pokémon with one game and then download to another in less than 5mins if you chose to. It's a bit rare but surprisingly not that expensive.

GenIII will give you the dipolma without needing Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Jirachi or Deoxys. The rest can be found the GBA games normally. With the exception of Mew and Deoxys these can still be obtained without trading.

Lugia - Obtainable in the GameCube game Pokémon XD

Ho-oh - Obtainable in the GameCube game Pokémon Colosseum. (Colosseum is recommended anyway - because it makes getting the Johto starters and Dogs a lot easier)

Celebi - Obtainable from a bonus disk that came with the Japanese version of Pokémon Colosseum. Not only is the disk itself very expensive, but you also need:
A Japanese copy of Colosseum and to have purified all the Pokémon
A way to play Japanese GC games. Getting a Japanese Gamecube will be the "most legit" way of doing this, given that Nintendo doesn't like region changers but it also adds to the cost. If you have a Wii you can hack to get the Wii Homebrew channel, you can use that to change the region pretty easily
Any Japanese GBA game (which will work on any Gameboy Advance as it's region free) - with the E4 beaten
Once you've done all that you can trade the Celebi onto an English GenIII game. You can trade between GenIII games of different languages, but you can't Pal Park between games of different languages (the Celebi will be able to be Pal Parked to an English game so long as it's on an English game).
The disk itself is quite expensive - I've periodically checked them on ebay over the years and this is relatively cheap, they used to be consistently more than double this.

Jirachi - Two ways of doing this: The first is through a bonus disk that came with the American version of Colosseum, which is no way as expensive as the Japanese counterpart.
You need a Ruby or Sapphire to get it and you don't need to be very far in Colosseum or RS, you basically just need to be able to trade in RS I believe.
The second way is probably a bit easier considering you're from NZ, and that's the EU/AUS version of Pokémon Channel for the GameCube. You can download Jirachi to Ruby/Sapphire once you've beaten the E4 and you've beaten Channel. All copies of EU/AUS Channel gave a Jirachi, so it should be very easy to get your hands on.

As for Mew and Deoxys, the only legit way would be to find someone who got them from an event and trade.

As for GenIV: Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus are added to the list of Pokémon you don't need for the diploma. Ho-oh and Lugia are taken away in HGSS.
Mew is now obtainable if you get Pokémon Ranch and deposit 999 Pokémon, at 250 you also get a Phione.
Manaphy is obtainable from a special mission in the first ranger game when you put a password in, and can be bred for a Phione.
Darkrai/Shaymin/Deoxys are also available from special ranger missions in later ranger games, however these were downloaded over wifi and not unlocked with a password. The downloads have finished now. Also the items that take you to where you can catch Darkrai/Shaymin in Platinum were released over wifi, but these downloads have also finished.

I hope I haven't overloaded you with information :p

Last edited:

I want to know if any Breeders out there could answer this for me.

I have a male Lucario
Jolly, Likes to Thrash
IVs: 6, 7 / 31 / 30 / 30 / 30 / 16

I also have a Female Lucario
Jolly, Likes to Run
IVs: 30 / 0, 1 / 28, 29 / 30 / 28, 29 / 30

What is the Likely-hood of hatching a Riolu with
Jolly, Likes to Thrash
IVs: 30 / 31 / 30 / 30 / 30 / 30

And I've been using Power bracer and an everstone to get this far but their usefulness seamed to run out on me.
The more I try to keep going any further with this, the more other stats keep dropping off.

For example,
Equipping the male with Power bracer and the Female with the Everstone gives me:
Jolly, Likes to Thrash
IVs: 30, 31 / 31 / 5 - 9 / 30 / 25, 27, 29 / 11, 13

A baby will get 3 IVs from its parents, and you're fixing the Attack IV with the Bracer, that leaves 2. You these to be defense/sp.att/sp.def to come from the male or sp.att/HP/speed from female. The other 3 are determined at random - I'm not sure if it's completely random because I know before Pt that they had a chance to be similar to the parents. Assuming the last 3 are random I make the chances to be ~0.0008%. You can improve this by having more 30s that overlap, if you manage to breed a female that has 30 in HP and St.Att and 30 in something else then using this to breed will increase your chances of the 2 stats that are passed on to be good. But you still have to get over the 0.003% chance of getting the 3 random stats correct

ETA: I'm guessing the IVs are for hidden power (though why HP Fighting on a Lucario?). You can use this http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/HiddenPower.aspx to find acceptable IVs for hidden power of any power/type

A baby will get 3 IVs from its parents, and you're fixing the Attack IV with the Bracer, that leaves 2. You these to be defense/sp.att/sp.def to come from the male or sp.att/HP/speed from female. The other 3 are determined at random - I'm not sure if it's completely random because I know before Pt that they had a chance to be similar to the parents. Assuming the last 3 are random I make the chances to be ~0.0008%. You can improve this by having more 30s that overlap, if you manage to breed a female that has 30 in HP and St.Att and 30 in something else then using this to breed will increase your chances of the 2 stats that are passed on to be good. But you still have to get over the 0.003% chance of getting the 3 random stats correct

ETA: I'm guessing the IVs are for hidden power (though why HP Fighting on a Lucario?). You can use this MetalKid's Gaming Resources - Pokemon - Calculators - Hidden Power to find acceptable IVs for hidden power of any power/type

Actually, it's not for Hidden power. It's just an experiment to see how far I can push all my IVs.

Started out, I was just trying to get a Jolly with decent HP, ATK, and Spd
But then I started getting Riolus with a lot of 30s, but none of them in the right stats.
So, I decided I was going to see if I could take those two Lucarios and get them as high as I could.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom