• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

I have one question. For Mega Evolutions that are exclusive to a version like Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Charizard X, can they be accessed in the other version where they are not available by trading over the item that is required to mega evolve them? The way official websites phrase it, it makes it sound like version-exclusive Mega Evolutions can only be accessed by the version where they are exclusive to but Serebii says that the items can be traded over, meaning that Mega Mewtwo X can be accessed in Pokemon Y. So which one is it?

Re: Does Generational up-trading work?

After being out of the scene for almost a decade I've decided to get back into both the RPG and TCG sides of Pokemon. My problem is I don't want to play FR/HG just to get all my old Pokemon. Is it possible to trade up through generations? Like, I've traded all my Gen I (Red) Pokemon to Gen II (Gold and some to Crystal)
now, can I buy Ruby and trade them all over to it, then after completing Ruby purchase Diamond and port the whole mess of Pokemon to it and then finally pick up Black and port them all over?
Right now I own a GBP, GBC, GBA and I'm picking up a DS (whichever one supports GBA games) next week. Any suggestions?

While you can't directly trade from Gen. II to Gen. III, I have heard about a website (Can't recall the name right now) where you can (basically) clone any of your Gen. II Pokémon, upload it to your Gen. III games as a "hacked" Pokémon and keep it going through your games. A friend claimed she used this method to migrate her Red Version Charizard all the way up to White 2. I've never tried it, don't know if it's real or if it works. Never even checked out the website... Hope this helps, even though I'm 2 years too late...

Hi, kinda silly to register for something like this, but...

What's the "cleanest" way to go about getting event Pokémon in these now-old generations? Is there a nice guide to glitching or hacking in each Pokémon as close to how they'd be from events as possible? There's got to be a system for this; it's just not worth playing the older games when you know you'll normally never be able to get a particular Pokémon, ever.

For Gens. I-III, I would suggest going on Bulbapedia, looking up the event Pokémon and then recreating them as best as you can with the PokéBuilder app (available on the Apple App store for around $3) and "hacking" them into your Sinnoh/Johto/Unova games.

For Gens. IV & V, you can download "legitimate" versions of all event Pokémon from those games (after paying $0.99 for the in-app purchase list of event Pokémon) into your game through the app itself.

Nintendo came out saying there's a chance that these Pokémon MAY ruin your game, but I've yet to meet anyone who's had their data corrupted. If you're not willing to risk it, then don't do it.

Also, even if these Pokémon are technically "legitimate" in their moves and abilities and stats, they're still not created through legitimate means, so never use them in official tournaments or you'll be disqualified. Only use them in battles/trades with your friends or for finishing the Pokédex.

Last edited:

Here's one: Will shiny pokemon evolve into shiny mega evolutions? If so, will that affect Charizard X?

Here's one: Will shiny pokemon evolve into shiny mega evolutions? If so, will that affect Charizard X?

I am assuming so considering when shiny Pokemon evolve they stay shiny. Mega evolution should be no different.

I have one question. For Mega Evolutions that are exclusive to a version like Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Charizard X, can they be accessed in the other version where they are not available by trading over the item that is required to mega evolve them? The way official websites phrase it, it makes it sound like version-exclusive Mega Evolutions can only be accessed by the version where they are exclusive to but Serebii says that the items can be traded over, meaning that Mega Mewtwo X can be accessed in Pokemon Y. So which one is it?

Based on this article, yes, the stones can be traded like any other item so you can have Charizard Y in X and vice-versa.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

Okay, I'm finally starting to understand EV training. I now realize that I am doing it wrong and focusing on the wrong stats when I train. I usually go for what I feel like are "balanced stats" (all stats are as high as I can get them (except when the Pokemon is better with physical or special attacks), which usually leads to mediocre stats that don't really give my Pokemon a chance to win...

How I usually train is basically just giving a Macho Brace to my Pokemon and battling the Elite 4 and Champion to get it to level 100.

I do use HP Ups, Calciums, etc. (until I can't use anymore) to boost some of the weaker stats until they "balanced out.;" Sometimes, I'll also switch the Macho Brace for a Power item (Bracer, Anklet, etc.) when I feel like one stat is much lower than the others.

But anyway, I'm now going to try to focus on the most important stats (at least, the ones Smogon suggest), which leads to my questions: Can I just use HP Ups, Calciums, etc. to get the best stats, or do I need to EV train/use Power items/something else? If I can just shove a bunch of medicines down my Pokemon's throat, can I max out the stats at a low level (like level 1), or do I have to use more as the Pokemon levels up?

I hope I didn't make that too complicated...

Edit: Derp, I probably should have looked through the thread first to see if I could find the answer before I posted...

Last edited:

If I got the Shiny Charm and haven't seen a single Shiny Pokemon in the wild, does the increased chance of finding one counts all the Pokemon I've seen so far or does it count from that point on. Like, If I've seen 2725 Pokemon without seeing a shiny before getting the Shiny Charm do I have an even more increased chance of finding one?
P.S, sorry if this has been brought up, but the thread is soooooooo long!

If I got the Shiny Charm and haven't seen a single Shiny Pokemon in the wild, does the increased chance of finding one counts all the Pokemon I've seen so far or does it count from that point on. Like, If I've seen 2725 Pokemon without seeing a shiny before getting the Shiny Charm do I have an even more increased chance of finding one?
It counts if you have the item in your bag. The regular odds of finding a shiny are 1/8192 the odds with the Shiny Charm are 1/2730. You probably just have not run into one yet, keep trying :)

It counts if you have the item in your bag. The regular odds of finding a shiny are 1/8192 the odds with the Shiny Charm are 1/2730. You probably just have not run into one yet, keep trying :)

Thanks

I have a question... I got a Cloyster with Skill Link that knows Clamp. This is Clamp's definition:

The foe is clamped and squeezed by the user's very thick and sturdy shell for two to five turns.

However, when my Cloyster uses Clamp, it only attacks once, and it never shows any message that says "It hit two (2) times!" or anything like that. He also knows Icicle Spear, and that move does work well with Skill Link. What's going on?

I have a question... I got a Cloyster with Skill Link that knows Clamp. This is Clamp's definition:

The foe is clamped and squeezed by the user's very thick and sturdy shell for two to five turns.

However, when my Cloyster uses Clamp, it only attacks once, and it never shows any message that says "It hit two (2) times!" or anything like that. He also knows Icicle Spear, and that move does work well with Skill Link. What's going on?

The ability doesn't affect Clamp (click), supposedly because it's not a "swipe move", but if you give Cloyster a Grip Claw to hold, it will sure-fire hit 5 times.

Skill Link only affects multi hit moves like Rock Blast, Icicle Spear. Skill Link doesn't affect trapping moves like Clamp.

So I need someone's opinion, I'm still on Black 2 lol and I'm wondering if I should get a Scraggy since I'm in Nimbasa and take out either Flaaffy or Venipede. I was thinking Flaaffy because I've used it in Gen IV on SoulSilver and I try to differentiate my parties between games if possible. I have no used Scraggy or Venipede before either

The ability doesn't affect Clamp (click), supposedly because it's not a "swipe move", but if you give Cloyster a Grip Claw to hold, it will sure-fire hit 5 times.

Skill Link only affects multi hit moves like Rock Blast, Icicle Spear. Skill Link doesn't affect trapping moves like Clamp.

D: That sucks... Anyway, thanks for responding!

Question about backing up your data

Curious if anyone has tried it yet with the cart version of the game, if the NDS Adapter Plus can even read the savedata of X or Y since the last update was in November... although they would only really need an update if a new game stored data in a different way.

And if it works, if restoring data is successful too, since I heard that some games like Animal Crossing: New Leaf have some kind of check so you can't restore backed up data.

Is the Pokemon Bank the only method given to transfer our Pokemon from Gen 5 to 6?

Is the Pokemon Bank the only method given to transfer our Pokemon from Gen 5 to 6?

Im afraid, yes. Pokemon Bank is required for transferring. It will not be available until December 27th in the US however.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom