• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-4)

So I'm going to buy a new copy of either Diamond or Platinum tomorrow. My plan was to get Platinum and use action replay to get things like the azure flute to get to Arceus, but if I get Platinum I can't use My Pokemon Ranch, which I can use to get Mea and Phione. So my question is, back when the Azure Flute (Arceus item) / Oak's Letter (Shaymin item) / Membership Pass (Darkrai item) was being distributed, were they only for Platinum, or was it possible to get them in Diamond to? I don't want to buy a game and find out there's no codes to get the items because the items weren't available in the game.
The Oak's Letter and Membership Pass were given for Platinum only. Azure Flute was never distributed at all.

Worth noting, though, is that even though the first two were only distributed for Platinum (and the Azure Flute still remains impossible to have legitimately), all three items are in the data for Diamond and Pearl; the events to officially unlock them just never took place.

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

So I read there are no dragon moves for gen 6, what other types have no new moves?

Hm... thinking... In terms of what types got new moves...

Normal - Boomburst, Noble Roar,
Fire - Mystic Fire
Water - Water Shuriken
Grass - Spike Shield
Electric - A bunch.
Ice - Freeze-Dry
Fighting - Power-Up Punch
Poison - Venom Drench
Ground - Earth's Wrath
Flying - Oblivion Wing
Psychic - ...
Bug - Fell Stinger, Sticky Web
Rock - ...
Ghost - Trick-or-Treat
Dragon - ...
Dark - Parting Shot
Steel - ...
Fairy - A whole lot

So, I can't remember any new moves for Rock, Dragon, or Steel. Not saying there aren't any new moves for those types, but I can't remember any at this moment.

The move powder, exclusive to vivillon, explodes the target if it uses a fire type move on that turn. Does this effect last only for 1 turn or several turns?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleared the E4 in X not long ago. Now, if I started playing Y, would the people on my Friend List still be able to access the third slot in my Friend Safari?

In the Friend Safari, is it guaranteed that the Pokemon there have a chance of having a Dream World Ability? Because not once have I found a Dragonair with anything else but Shed Skin :(

Also, do we know all the Mega-Evolutions that are actually possible to get before end-game? I have a feeling I could have used Mega-Ampharos if I went into Azure Bay as soon as I could.

In the Friend Safari, is it guaranteed that the Pokemon there have a chance of having a Dream World Ability? Because not once have I found a Dragonair with anything else but Shed Skin :(

Also, do we know all the Mega-Evolutions that are actually possible to get before end-game? I have a feeling I could have used Mega-Ampharos if I went into Azure Bay as soon as I could.

As long as the friend whose Safari it is has beaten the E4, they should have all three Pokémon and they could all have their HA. You might try going into their Safari while you both are online; I've heard that increases the odds.

As for Mega Evolutions, I know Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Abomasnow, Blastoise, Charizard, Venusaur, Lucario, Gengar, and Blaziken.

As long as the friend whose Safari it is has beaten the E4, they should have all three Pokémon and they could all have their HA. You might try going into their Safari while you both are online; I've heard that increases the odds.

As for Mega Evolutions, I know Aerodactyl, Ampharos, Abomasnow, Blastoise, Charizard, Venusaur, Lucario, Gengar, and Blaziken.

Cool, thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't think the one guy with Dragon-type Safari has beaten the Elite Four. Am I screwed out of a Marvel Scale until they do?

I asked this here ehh...a month or so ago but there were so many other posts that it never got an answer. I just want to try to figure out which specific Pokemon are not attainable in X&Y and if they have some kind of commonality or something. Like for instance to be able to say all of this type are not in Gen 6, or nothing from #s ____ to ____. Or that sort of thing.

I heard that Frillish, Chimchar, Cottonnee & Darumaka for example are not obtainable in this gen, yet Basculin & Sandile jut for random examples are?? Theyre basically Pokedex neighbors! I think one sure way to tell what is NOT available is to look for how many JERKS are asking for it on the GTS. (Why do they allow that!?) But that's not quite scientific.
Its just really difficult to check progress, especially now that I have so many (i.e. French, Japanese, Italian, Spanish.... )
Also related to this, I've been searching around to find out just which areas of the world have their own Pokedexes but not finding the answer to that but no biggie. Aaaah.

I'm at the 8th gym but have taken a few days off just to breed & try to strengthen my team up & all that so I have not been progressing.
I AM getting the storage thing in December (sorry I cant think of the name) but that should be considered totally beside the point since it does not come along as part of this set of games. And I think that it would most likely be bogged down like hell for awhile. As it is, I think I spent like a solid month trying to log onto Global Link and it was always busy.

I asked this here ehh...a month or so ago but there were so many other posts that it never got an answer. I just want to try to figure out which specific Pokemon are not attainable in X&Y and if they have some kind of commonality or something. Like for instance to be able to say all of this type are not in Gen 6, or nothing from #s ____ to ____. Or that sort of thing.

Serebii has a list of all the Pokemon that aren't available in X/Y (save maybe Friend Safari) right here.

I've got a quick question: Does anyone have a guide to finding the Espurr in Looker's second episode? I've searched all three alleys and even went to the corners to find it - It wasn't anywhere.

thanks. I saw that list but what I meant was, its hard to say concretely what they all have in common. like I was saying in my question it'd be pretty hard to keep track if there's nothing to just "know".

Since I'm now Pokemon Breeding, I must know...
A lot of my newborn Pokemon start off with 12 Hp and 6 in every stat. Is this normal or does it actually mean something? I've found breeding certain Pokemon (like ones I got from trades) tend to produce offspring with 5s or 4s in at least one stat, so I thought I'd ask.

Since I'm now Pokemon Breeding, I must know...
A lot of my newborn Pokemon start off with 12 Hp and 6 in every stat. Is this normal or does it actually mean something? I've found breeding certain Pokemon (like ones I got from trades) tend to produce offspring with 5s or 4s in at least one stat, so I thought I'd ask.

It just means those have better IVs and thus their stats are higher to reflect that. Though you also need to take species into consideration and know what their overall base stats at level 1 are, some have higher than other species.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get a Amaura or Aurorus with it's Hidden Ability? If so, then how?

Also, if you see a Shiny Pokemon in a Hoard, will it Shine and make a noise when you encounter it?

Last edited:
Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-4)

So I'm going to buy a new copy of either Diamond or Platinum tomorrow. My plan was to get Platinum and use action replay to get things like the azure flute to get to Arceus, but if I get Platinum I can't use My Pokemon Ranch, which I can use to get Mea and Phione. So my question is, back when the Azure Flute (Arceus item) / Oak's Letter (Shaymin item) / Membership Pass (Darkrai item) was being distributed, were they only for Platinum, or was it possible to get them in Diamond to? I don't want to buy a game and find out there's no codes to get the items because the items weren't available in the game.
The Oak's Letter and Membership Pass were given for Platinum only. Azure Flute was never distributed at all.

Worth noting, though, is that even though the first two were only distributed for Platinum (and the Azure Flute still remains impossible to have legitimately), all three items are in the data for Diamond and Pearl; the events to officially unlock them just never took place.

So then, out of curiosity
I) If you catch Arceus by getting to him with the Azure Flute, will you not be able to do things like transfer it to Gen V games and/or put it on the GTS, since that isn't a 'legit' way to get him?
II) I'm a fan of knowing unnecessary trivia, and so I was wondering - if Nintendo programmed that event into the game, why didn't they ever release it? Isn't it a bit redundant at that point?

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

I wasn't sure where to post this, so forgive me if it's in the wrong board. :/

Anyways, I have a Pokemon that's very important to me, caught when I was an 11-year-old child playing Pokemon Sapphire. It's the very first shiny Pokemon I ever caught, a beautiful shiny Swellow. She's won the master rank cool contest in Hoenn, been entered in the hall of fame for Hoenn, Sinnoh, AND Unova, and it just a very cool Pokemon overall. I like to imagine she's currently in retirement, but she's still sitting pretty on my Pokemon White cartridge, and I'll probably move her over to Pokemon Y when I get the chance.

Unfortunately, 11-year-old me was terrible at nicknames. Since it was my first shiny, I wanted to give it a nickname. Now, I don't know about you, but when I look back at the name Swellow has, I can't help but feel that "SHINY" in all caps wasn't the best choice for a name. Now, since she's been transferred over several times and it's impossible to get her back on my Sapphire cartridge, her name is permanently stuck with her.

So my question is this: is there any way, legitimate or illegitimate, to change her nickname? Even if I have to resort to using an *shudder* action replay... *shudder shudder* I'd do it. I really want to use Swellow again, for battling and what have you, but that nickname is just embarrassing.

This sounds illegal but I think it may work. I dunno 'bout a action replay that allows you to do that. But.. You can sent it to pokecheck.. Download it and use a *gulps* pokémon editor to change the nickname, then sent it back yo your game with *shudder* pokédit, this way if you screw up somehow you'll still have your original poké. For the record I'm not encouraging the use of editors. -_-

This is really a pressing question to me. Tonight I bred TWO shinies - two! In one night! And atop that, I had found one in the wild a week or two ago. So that's 3 shinies in Pokemon Y alone. So needless to say, I'd freak out if anything happened to my save file.
I wanted to know if there's any way these games can be backed up to multiple memory cards, or maybe to a memory card and somewhere else. I dunno, external hard drive...?
I am scouring the internet for the answer to that but meanwhile I just wanted to ask here too while i'm busy having my shiny freak out.
Well, if you don't know.. A back-up method can be the save dongle *It works for several 3ds games*. I heard you
can extract the save file and reinsert it in the game, check it out.. And hope it works x3.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom