• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

Are all the Floettes in Friend Safaris yellow, or can different Safaris have Floettes of the other colors? I'd like to eventually have a Florges of each color with their HA, but the one Friend Safari with Floette only has yellow ones, and I was wondering if it's the same for all of them. :\

I'm also wondering about this too. I only have 1 safari with Floette, and it's also a yellow flower.

All of the ~3 Floette I caught in Friend Safari were red, so there's that. (I only have one Safari with Floette.)

How do you increase your ~stylishness so you can get into the expensive boutique in Lumiose and (part of) the Lost Hotel? All I can find is you need to "do things in Lumiose City" but there's not much there to do that seems stylish. Just chatting in cafés, battling in alleys and over dinner. xP

You just do random things around the city, honestly, it's not particularly stylish but there you go. I saw a graph a while ago that detailed the activities that count and how stylish they are. The activities are things like battling in the battle restaurants and buying stuff from shops as well as using the different services around the city.

I made a trainer PR video, bought a stone from the stone shop, bought berry juice like twice, went into a few cafés and battled in one of the battle restaurants a couple of times. It wasn't enough and even though I'm going to explore Lumiose more eventually, I wanted to start customizing my character since I was so behind as I hated the clothes from all other boutiques so I decided to speed it up.

If you go to the Lumiose Press and talk to Alexa (I think that's her name) she's going to ask if you want to know more about locations and give you a list of boulevards to choose from. You choose one and she asks if you want her to show you the way. Say yes. I did this once for every location and then a few more times for the street where the Press is located so I could go back inside more quickly. After a while I went back to the boutique and they let me in.

My question is: Is the scene any different if the female playable character is used? I've always wondered xD

No, it's exactly the same.

What exactly does the game count as "night" and "day"? I had an Eevee all prepped to evolve into Umbreon, but ended up with Espeon instead...

I don't know if it depends on your location and time of the year since sometimes it's day already when it's night outside in real life and vice versa. However, it does depend on your game clock so if it's night wherever you live and you have that time set on your game, the odds are it's night in the game as well. The difference is very minor but you can tell by the fact that street lamps are lit and there's light coming from the windows of buildings. One of the easiest spots to check is the outside of the Parfum Palace, you can see stars in the sky I think, and the street lamps along the way are all lit up.

Re: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gen 5)

I have another question. I'm trying to do the whole Entralink thing with a friend of mine. I have Black Version, and he has White Version. Whenever we use the Entralink feature, I can go visit him where he is, but when he enters the Entralink, he can't go where I am. Of course, we don't do this at the same time. Also, when I go to his White Forest, I can see people he can't see, and viceversa. There are also people who ask me if they can come to Black City with me, but there are some who don't ask this. I want to take the people I need in Black City to be able to buy the evolutionary stones, but those people either don't appear to me or don't ask me to come to Black City with me. What's happening?

Oh, and since no one answered this and I really need an answer, I'll leave it here again. Thanks!

Can someone explain to me what the freaking hell is going on with my game? I'm training my Alakazam, which is at level 81, and it has perfect Special Attack and Speed. 31 IVs and 252 EVs in both, and it has a Modest nature. The problem is that when I face Morimoto's goddamn monkeys (Simisear, Simipour and Simisage) ALL OF THEM SURVIVE TO MY PSYCHIC ATTACK. I mean, how come?! I'm 6 levels stronger than them, I have a monstrous Special Attack stat, I'm using a very powerful move which also receives STAB, and their health bar stops at YELLOW! I mean, I don't even get close to one-hit-KOing them!! I checked the monkeys' stats and, to top it all, it results that their Special Defense SUCK.

It's frustrating because when this happens, their special Berry activates and they single-handedly defeat my Alakazam with either Crunch or Payback, and I have to use like three or four Revives every time. I'm not complaining about this because I know Alakazam's Defense stat sucks. I'm complaining about the monkeys not being defeated after I use Psychic.

What the heck is going on???

Oh, I'm surprised that this hasn't made it to bulbapedia yet but...

Since it has been discovered that shininess is now determined by a "shiny value" matching a "Trainer shiny value", what exactly does this mean about the odds of encountering one, or are we still unsure? I'm sure it has something to do with why such a large number of shinies have appeared so far, but it also makes me wonder if Masuda Methoding is still worth it.

Oh, I'm surprised that this hasn't made it to bulbapedia yet but...

Since it has been discovered that shininess is now determined by a "shiny value" matching a "Trainer shiny value", what exactly does this mean about the odds of encountering one, or are we still unsure? I'm sure it has something to do with why such a large number of shinies have appeared so far, but it also makes me wonder if Masuda Methoding is still worth it.
I saw something about "secret ID" being mentioned in Bulbapedia about shiny Pokémon, though I'm not sure if it's the same thing.
Shiny Pokémon said:
The secret ID and Trainer ID byte words are first xored together, and then the first byte word of the personality value is xored with the second byte word of the personality value. If the xor of these two results is less than eight, then the Pokémon is Shiny. This results in a probability of 8 in 65536; simplified as 1/8192 (2-13, or 0.01220703125%), just as in Generation II. Symbolically:

(Trainer ID) xor (Secret ID) = E
(First byte word of personality value) xor (Second byte word of personality value) = F

Prior to Generation VI, if E xor F is less than eight, then the Pokémon is Shiny. In Generation VI the Pokémon is shiny if E xor F less than 16. Therefore the chance of finding a shiny is doubled to 1/4096 (2-12, or 0.0244140625%).

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shiny_Pokémon
It seems to indicate that shiny rates have doubled in Generation VI.

Ok so it looks like my answers from a page or so ago have been sufficiently answered. Thanks guys!

Now I have a question that is more embarrassing to be asking but...ok, I really never learned about the whole "IVs" thing. I have a decent understanding on EVs and natures and such but IVs escape me. What are they, how are we able to gauge them, what about them are different in Gen VI, etc. If someone could help me with this absurdly idiotic question it would be appreciated!

Ok so it looks like my answers from a page or so ago have been sufficiently answered. Thanks guys!

Now I have a question that is more embarrassing to be asking but...ok, I really never learned about the whole "IVs" thing. I have a decent understanding on EVs and natures and such but IVs escape me. What are they, how are we able to gauge them, what about them are different in Gen VI, etc. If someone could help me with this absurdly idiotic question it would be appreciated!
IVs (or Individual Values) are a set of numbers from 0-31 assigned to a Pokemon's stats. These are pre-determined the moment you meet a Pokemon (or an Egg) and so there is no way to alter them upon encountering a Pokemon.

This source actually has a simple way of explaining it without bringing in all the math involved. Individual Values - The Pokémon Wiki
Every stat has an IV ranging from 0 to 31 for each stat (HP, ATK, DEF, SPA, SPD, and SPE), and at level 100, their IVs are added to the Pokémon's stats for their total values. For example, a level 100 Tyranitar with no Effort Values and 0 IVs has 310 HP, however if it had 31 IVs, it would have 341 HP.

When it comes to breeding, IVs can be inherited through having a parent hold:
- a Power item (the corresponding IV for that stat will be passed down)
- Destiny Knot (five stats are picked, and IVs for those stats are passed down from either parent)
Normally without the use of either item, three stats are picked and either parent can pass down their IV from those stats.

Hope this helps!

Im trying to spread Pokerus through my party. To my knowledge, I'm supposed to just put the infected Pokemon plus the Pokemon I want to infect in the Pokemon Center to heal and voila? However this has not happened. There's gotta be something I'm missing?

Im trying to spread Pokerus through my party. To my knowledge, I'm supposed to just put the infected Pokemon plus the Pokemon I want to infect in the Pokemon Center to heal and voila? However this has not happened. There's gotta be something I'm missing?

Perhaps you could do some battling? I noticed my Pokemon gathered Pokerus after some battles. But it has been a while since I've had it, and none of my Gen VI Pokemon have had Pokerus yet, but it's worth a try.

I haven't heard of Pokerus spreading through the Pokemon Center, from previous generations (and this one) I've seen it spread through battling.
The infection may spread if the infected Pokémon is in the main party after a battle. An uninfected Pokémon must be next to a Pokémon infected with Pokérus in the main party for the virus to spread.
Pokérus - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

IVs (or Individual Values) are a set of numbers from 0-31 assigned to a Pokemon's stats. These are pre-determined the moment you meet a Pokemon (or an Egg) and so there is no way to alter them upon encountering a Pokemon.

This source actually has a simple way of explaining it without bringing in all the math involved. Individual Values - The Pokémon Wiki
Every stat has an IV ranging from 0 to 31 for each stat (HP, ATK, DEF, SPA, SPD, and SPE), and at level 100, their IVs are added to the Pokémon's stats for their total values. For example, a level 100 Tyranitar with no Effort Values and 0 IVs has 310 HP, however if it had 31 IVs, it would have 341 HP.

- Destiny Knot (five stats are picked, and IVs for those stats are passed down from either parent)
Normally without the use of either item, three stats are picked and either parent can pass down their IV from those stats.

Hope this helps!
That does in fact help! The only thing about which I'm not entirely sure is how it is we can tell what IVs a Pokemon has; Im guessing that's what that Ace Trainer in the Pokemon Center in Kiloude is talking about but it's fairly vague. Still, I have a much better idea so thank you! :D

Hope this helps!
That does in fact help! The only thing about which I'm not entirely sure is how it is we can tell what IVs a Pokemon has; Im guessing that's what that Ace Trainer in the Pokemon Center in Kiloude is talking about but it's fairly vague. Still, I have a much better idea so thank you! :D
Ah I knew I forgot something! Yes that trainer in Kiloude City will help determine your IVs.

(The first statement) If the IV total is between 0 and 90: "This Pokémon's potential is decent all around." If the IV total is between 91 and 120: "This Pokémon's potential is above average overall." If the IV total is between 121 and 150: "This Pokémon has relatively superior potential overall." If the IV total is between 151 and 186: "This Pokémon has outstanding potential overall."

(The second statement) If the highest IV is between 0 and 15: "It's rather decent in that regard." If the highest IV is between 16 and 25: "It's very good in that regard." If the highest IV is between 26 and 30: "It's fantastic in that regard." If the highest IV is 31: "It can't be better in that regard."
If any stats are tied then he would list all of them before saying the second statement.

Excellent! Thanks again :D

Hope this helps!
There are some IVs calculators in the internet that help to determine the exact number of IVs a pokemon has, i use Psypoke IV calculator.

What if...

someone had a friend safari with ONLY ditto found and didn't progress past that point ever... would you then be able to chain dittos for 6 perfect IVs or does chaining only work with a pokeradar?

This is an interesting idea, I couldn't find anything similar on the search...

Re: What if...

someone had a friend safari with ONLY ditto found and didn't progress past that point ever... would you then be able to chain dittos for 6 perfect IVs or does chaining only work with a pokeradar?

The PokeRadar does not work in Friend Safari so thats not possible, besides all Safaris have more than one Pokemon.

The PokeRadar does not work in Friend Safari so thats not possible, besides all Safaris have more than one Pokemon.

Are you sure all safaris have more than one pokemon? What if you just started the game, does that person only have 1 pokemon or do they start with two?

I wasn't assuming to use the poke radar because I know it can't be used in the friend safari, but rather the idea of "chaining" the possibility of only 1 pokemon like what the radar does for you... but without it because of friend safari restriction to 1 pokemon? I don't know how this works, just speculation....

Are you sure all safaris have more than one pokemon? What if you just started the game, does that person only have 1 pokemon or do they start with two?
I believe anybody on your friends list will have 2 Pokemon in their safari, even if they've never played either X or Y on their 3DS. Then if they've beaten the E4, they'll have a 3rd.

I believe anybody on your friends list will have 2 Pokemon in their safari, even if they've never played either X or Y on their 3DS. Then if they've beaten the E4, they'll have a 3rd.

Darn, okay! I guess I'll just have to keep farming those friend safari dittos... I'm horrible at using the poke radar or I might try to chain them...

Darn, okay! I guess I'll just have to keep farming those friend safari dittos... I'm horrible at using the poke radar or I might try to chain them...
You can only chain using the radar or by consecutive fishing and only those increase the shiny odds. Just plain encountering the same Pokemon over and over regularly wont if thats what you mean.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom