• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Shiny Breeding?

This seems too technical to go into the simple questions sticky. When breeding for shinies, can I reset my system if my current batch has crap IVs or will that reset some kind of chaining effect? Does chaining even count when breeding for a shiny or is it a flat chance that could happen anywhere between my first and millionth hatched egg?

Re: Shiny Breeding?

Good. All the videos I've seen for shiny breeding showed boxes full of failed attempts. Wasn't sure if I needed to release them or could just reset if I didn't get what I was after.

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

I've been breeding some pokémon lately and on 2 occasions I've had 2 eggs hatch with just 1 step in between. how is that possible?

Probably because the eggs were collected within a short time of each other and both reached the required step count to hatch around the same time

I've been breeding some pokémon lately and on 2 occasions I've had 2 eggs hatch with just 1 step in between. how is that possible?

Probably because the eggs were collected within a short time of each other and both reached the required step count to hatch around the same time

I think i found out.

Your answer still does not make sense. So here is the thing: yes these eggs where collected one after another. But according to the wiki there is an Egg cycle that is 255 steps, every 255 steps the game checks if it needs to make an Egg and reduces the egg cycle count on all the eggs in the party by 1 (2 with flame body etc.) and if anyone of them drops below 1 it will hatch it and stop the process (preventing any other eggs from dropping in egg cycle). So according to the wiki the second egg would need a minimum of 255 steps to hatch after the first egg. Unless in x and y the game also reduces the cycles of all the eggs below the hatching egg and allows it to hatch the next step you take? (or something similar)

This could explain why they quite literally hatched with 1 step in between but still leaves us with 1 problem. how did the eggs taken one after another actually got on the same egg cycle? this is only possible if x and y has 2 cycles one for checking if it should create an egg (which i shall call the Egg cycle from now) and one for hatch timers (which i shall call the Hatch cycle) AND the Egg cycle must be shorter than the Hatch cycle. this way we can take 2 eggs of the daycare man (which will be in different Egg cycles) in the same Hatch cycle.

I think this could be what has caused this phenomenon (now 3 times already).

I feel like that's happened to me before though, my answer was based on what I think was personal experience for me.

Your answer was absolutely right. It just did not explain how something like that could even be in the current game system described by the wiki (it cant). I am pretty certain now that the breeding page of bulbapedia is out of date and that GF has changed the game engine with regards to breeding.

Hello there guys. I've been thinking about this for days. I really can't decide whether to get a Mega Charizard X or Y. I've been reading different articles and forums about this, on which one is better. And I can't also decide if I will get Pokemon X or Y because of that Charizard Issue. Sooo, any advice?

Hello there guys. I've been thinking about this for days. I really can't decide whether to get a Mega Charizard X or Y. I've been reading different articles and forums about this, on which one is better. And I can't also decide if I will get Pokemon X or Y because of that Charizard Issue. Sooo, any advice?

Charizard is really more suited to being a Yzard than an Xzard, as it builds upon it's already naturally high Sp.Atk, whereas with Xzard, you're trying to build up it's Atk. from the ground up. While it's still viable, Yzard just shines brighter at what it can do naturally. imo anyway.

Charizard is really more suited to being a Yzard than an Xzard, as it builds upon it's already naturally high Sp.Atk, whereas with Xzard, you're trying to build up it's Atk. from the ground up. While it's still viable, Yzard just shines brighter at what it can do naturally. imo anyway.

That's true and I do agree with you, but one thing to keep in mind with Mega Charizard X is that he changes his typing to Fire/Dragon, whereas Mega Charizard Y keeps his original Fire/Flying. CharX would get a nice little STAB added to Dragon Claw and the extra attack bonus would help with moves like Fire Fang and Flare Blitz.

However, I think your point is valid. CharY builds upon his already high Sp. Atk, which really helps with moves like Flamethrower, Inferno, and Heat Wave. If you wanted a physical Fire type, Emboar has got you covered anyways. :p

Also Mega Charizard X lends itself to be a much better mixed sweeper compared to Mega Charizard Y, which makes MCharX less predictable than MCharY. Also, Tough Claws essentially gives MCharX a Life Orb boost without the drawbacks of the item (although this only applies to physical attacks), which is pretty nice considering that it has to hold the Charizadite X in order to Mega Evolve. MCharY's Drought ability only boosts Fire-type attacks (the boost is larger than a Life Orb boost, but it's still more limited). Drought also lowers the power of Water-type attacks, but really no Charizard should be taking a Water-type attack anyway, even MCharX to a certain extent.

Honestly, it really depends on what your team needs. Both MCharX and MCharY are amazing Pokémon, but they function very differently; it's best to first think about the team that you would like to create, and then from there see if MCharX or MCharY fits that team better.

Hey, I have pokemon Y and I have done around 30 online battles and have an okay win rate but I have been using my Mewtwo, Xerneas, Yveltal/Aegislash. I have been running through the E4 to train up some of my pokemon and I would like to make a good non-legendary battle team for mostly single flat battles.
I have plenty of pokemon but the ones I have seen that people say are good are:
Ampharos-72
Metagross-54
Blaziken-64
Gardevoir-56
Blastoise-39
Meowstic-28
Lucario-53
Hawlucha-100
Mawile-24
Tyrantrum-86
Charizard-48
Greninja-57
Alakazam-31
Aegislash-81

Sorry for the long post but I would really appreciate the help. I would appreciate it if you reply in pm because I might not see it here but I will look.

Thank you very much.

Thanks for the answers guys :D But I think ZardY suits my team more. Since I've been using Charizard for years as a SPattacker and ZardY is still the same type :D But I'm not really familiar with the current meta, now my question is any advice for a team build-up? I know though that I need atleast a spinner.

Thanks for the answers guys :D But I think ZardY suits my team more. Since I've been using Charizard for years as a SPattacker and ZardY is still the same type :D But I'm not really familiar with the current meta, now my question is any advice for a team build-up? I know though that I need atleast a spinner.

For competitive team advice I suggest this section:Bulbagarden Battle Center

For competitive team advice I suggest this section:Bulbagarden Battle Center

Ah thanks :D sorry new here.

Hey all.
I'm posting this here because I figure you guys have gotten like a million threads about this. I want to know more about how Happiness works in this game. I'm in the process of acquiring all of the Eeveelutions and I was able to quickly get the Stone and Rock ones so now I'm onto the harder ones: Umbreon and Espeon. I've never evolved a Pokemon via happiness before. So I have some questions on what modifies happiness? I gave the Eevee I intend to make into an Espeon a Soothe Bell and was thinking about continuing the story with it in my party from there (I'm not done I have to find the Ice gym leader in the woods still). Just some questions about happiness first.
1. With leveling up, does the Pokemon have to be in battle or does leveling up via the Exp. Share also make them happy?
2. With the certain number of steps, does the Pokemon have to be the lead Pokemon of the party here or does walking a certain number of steps make all the Pokemon you're carrying happy?
3. Does Pokemon-Amie do anything? I know it does in regards to Sylveon but is is helpful in regards to acquiring Umbreon and Espeon?

Hey all.
I'm posting this here because I figure you guys have gotten like a million threads about this. I want to know more about how Happiness works in this game. I'm in the process of acquiring all of the Eeveelutions and I was able to quickly get the Stone and Rock ones so now I'm onto the harder ones: Umbreon and Espeon. I've never evolved a Pokemon via happiness before. So I have some questions on what modifies happiness? I gave the Eevee I intend to make into an Espeon a Soothe Bell and was thinking about continuing the story with it in my party from there (I'm not done I have to find the Ice gym leader in the woods still). Just some questions about happiness first.
1. With leveling up, does the Pokemon have to be in battle or does leveling up via the Exp. Share also make them happy?
2. With the certain number of steps, does the Pokemon have to be the lead Pokemon of the party here or does walking a certain number of steps make all the Pokemon you're carrying happy?
3. Does Pokemon-Amie do anything? I know it does in regards to Sylveon but is is helpful in regards to acquiring Umbreon and Espeon?

1. I believe the Pokemon msut participate in the battle to get happiness from battlong
2. I dont think it being the lead makes any difference
3. Happiness seems to be separate from Pokemon Amie's affects. I tried to evolve an Eevee via happiness this way to see if it would and it did not work.

Hey all.

1. Since the Pokemon is leveling up regardless of the usage, it is going to become happier as a result.
2. The Pokemon doesn't have to be in the lead. All Pokemon will become happier in your party after a certain number of steps.
3. Apparently, Amie happiness and "regular" happiness are separated. I'm pretty sure "regular" happiness overrides Amie happiness once it reaches a certain level, but I still wouldn't use Amie until after you get Umbreon and Espeon.

Hope that helps!

While I can't help you on deciding which one is better, because they both have their pros and cons, I thought I should let you know that if you get one game and know someone who has the other, you can have them trade over the Mega Stone from their game to yours so that you can use both forms.

While I can't help you on deciding which one is better, because they both have their pros and cons, I thought I should let you know that if you get one game and know someone who has the other, you can have them trade over the Mega Stone from their game to yours so that you can use both forms.

I decided to get both now :D thanks for the answer anyway. My problem now is who is the best teammates for both ZardX and Y. I've asked this in the team advice thread but I think no one wanted to answer.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom