• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

Im not really sure how that would happen if you didnt get into any trades before the error occurred.

My thoughts exactly. Which is why I am worried it is some sort of intrusive hack.

As far as I know there is nothing like that, I have never heard of anything like that happening in any Pokemon game.

Okay... So it is an unprecedented occurrence. But based on the fact that I don't seem to have any adverse effects in my game at the moment, would you still hazard that my save file is safe?

Im not really sure how that would happen if you didnt get into any trades before the error occurred.

My thoughts exactly. Which is why I am worried it is some sort of intrusive hack.

As far as I know there is nothing like that, I have never heard of anything like that happening in any Pokemon game.
Okay... So it is an unprecedented occurrence. But based on the fact that I don't seem to have any adverse effects in my game at the moment, would you still hazard that my save file is safe?
It's probably fine, but if you really are worried, you can always release the Pokemon.

not trying to understimate you or anything, but are you 100% sure you weren't distracted while the trade happened? it seems very weird. still, it must have been just a connection issue of some kind, probably nothing harmful

I had a similar thing happen but I was the one that lost the connection... kinda... Power went out just as I started a trade and my wireless went down. I had not yet recieved the trade partner screen but it had already made the trade. My Mon was named just like yours was and all and all appeared to be fine. I am guessing this is the format for the critter's file name. I ended up sending it out (just a fletchling) again later and that was weeks ago, no issues with my game at all.

Dom

I'm just wondering, but can Crafty Shield be Sketched? If so, how?

Well according to the wikipage you can't sketch it directly, but I've found that going into a Double Battle and sketching it off your partner is a very reliable method for learning just about anything. (Restaurant Le Nah is a good place for this.)

Last edited:

Whats the best way to grind EXP in X/Y ? I hope its not elite 4 its so boring.

quick question

EVs are fully effectives at lv 100. Does that mean that in battle institute or maison, a lv 100 pokemon will have better stats than a lv 50 with same IVs and EVs?

Thanks

Yeha, it's pretty much the Elite 4. The Battle Chateau can also be good if you've put in enough effort to raise your rank (plus the Furisode Girls there always have parties filled with Audino), but E4's probably the easiest way.

Keep in mind that you can use Lucky Egg, Pokémon Amie, Exp. O-Powers, and all that so that it takes less time.

quick question

EVs are fully effectives at lv 100. Does that mean that in battle institute or maison, a lv 100 pokemon will have better stats than a lv 50 with same IVs and EVs?

Thanks

When the Institute and Maison lower the Pokémon's level to 50, they recalculate the stats based on the level. So no, two of the same species of Pokémon with the same IV and EV spreads would have the exact same stats in the Maison/Institute, even if one of them was significantly higher in level beforehand.

Go to Restaurant Le Wow in Lumiose City and do Triple Battles and use an Exp O-Power before starting. The O-Power would apply to all 5 battles and you can switch in all your Pokemon within 1 turn because they're Triple Battles so they get the full EXP.

Here's an esoteric question -- according to the Bulbapedia page for Pokemon breeding, if you use a Power Item and a Destiny Knot together, the DK can override the Power Item in passing down IV's to the baby. Is that true? I have to doubt it, because it would mean that hatching a 6IV Pokemon from two 5IV parents (with matching five IVs) is as high as one in six (5 IV's from the DK + remaining IV from the Power item). It would also mean that if you're breeding two Pokemon with only one flawless IV between them, there's a 5/12 (42%) chance that the baby will not inherit the flawless IV. (I haven't explicitly tested for it, but I'm pretty sure that out of the 100 eggs I've bred with Power Items, not a one of them has failed to inherit the desired IV).

Here's an esoteric question -- according to the Bulbapedia page for Pokemon breeding, if you use a Power Item and a Destiny Knot together, the DK can override the Power Item in passing down IV's to the baby. Is that true? I have to doubt it, because it would mean that hatching a 6IV Pokemon from two 5IV parents (with matching five IVs) is as high as one in six (5 IV's from the DK + remaining IV from the Power item). It would also mean that if you're breeding two Pokemon with only one flawless IV between them, there's a 5/12 (42%) chance that the baby will not inherit the flawless IV. (I haven't explicitly tested for it, but I'm pretty sure that out of the 100 eggs I've bred with Power Items, not a one of them has failed to inherit the desired IV).
From what I've tested this seems to be the case. So while it is possible to get 6 IV Pokemon this way you'll be leaving their nature up to chance.

I'm not sure about the percentages on the second scenario you posted, but I did come to the decision that it's better to have 5 IV Pokemon with the right nature rather than a 6 IV Pokemon and roll the dice with its nature.

I'm not sure about the percentages on the second scenario you posted, but I did come to the decision that it's better to have 5 IV Pokemon with the right nature rather than a 6 IV Pokemon and roll the dice with its nature.
Testing that right now; I have ten (and counting) baby Treecko who all inherited a flawless Sp.Atk from their father's side so the Destiny Knot definitely doesn't override the Power item.

I'm confused now. Can somebody explain that section of the page in simple terms?

Last edited:

if someone from a foreign game sends me an egg and i hatch it, the pokemon will be considered from another region? for example i get a spanish egg and my game is english, the pokemon will be spanish or english when the egg hatches?

if someone from a foreign game sends me an egg and i hatch it, the pokemon will be considered from another region? for example i get a spanish egg and my game is english, the pokemon will be spanish or english when the egg hatches?
How funny, that just happened to me today!

Somebody traded me a Lixy (French Shinx) -- its status screen has the FRE tag. They also traded me an Oeuf (French Egg) which hatched into a Shinx that also has the FRE tag, despite the English name "Shinx" and me as its registered OT. I haven't tested whether it counts as foreign for the purposes of XP gain though, and it's impossible to know for sure whether it counts for Masuda breeding.

Last edited:
Several Breeding Related Things (Too Much for SQSA)

BREEDING QUESTIONS:​
:banana:

Not sure what my fascination/obsession with breeding shinies is, but its basically all I have done from before & since finishing the main storyline of Y. At one point, it was helping me complete my dex. Now I've been stuck at 677 for a couple of weeks & I think I only need legendaries (Hitmonsomeone & legends I believe)

#1. Something I just began doing last night with 1 specific set of Pokemon is this ----could you just let me know if this could potentially work before I waste too much time? Hatching like 4-5 eggs at a time. if none are shiny, I SR & repeat with the same set. Is that bad? :uhoh:
I just want to make sure that there isn't a rule that says that the shininess is determined at whatever point & if they were not shiny the 1st itme, they'll never be? I do NOT know.
(In English, I'm trying to ask this: can I hatch an egg, have it not be shiny, rehatch that same egg over & over 60,000 times or whatever & eventually it possibly become shiny? Or is it always a yes & no thing?)

#2 Soooo because of the amount of egg hatching that I do, and some methods i'm trying, I want to find some kind of a thing that I can use, either on my phone or computer or whatever to keep track of the #s. Like for instance, every egg that I get just click it & it'll add one. I have tried to keep track of this on my own but its total rocket surgery. And speaking of which, I hate to constantly mention this but I do have a physical problem that affects my memory so its nearly out of the question to expect myself to be able to mark off say, on my computer on a document or calculator. I've tried. Total train wrecks.

BUT ....I could possibly do something else. Any ideas???

#3. I've been trying to find a list of items to have Pokemon hold while doin it. I know there is Destiny Knot, of course &

OK I just read my post here & realized I left off mid sentence.
I just have to try to remember what those other items are.

ANYWAY.... I did the thing the other day, the new shiny method. It worked for me in 90 seconds. Literally. (I mean not exactly 90 seconds, btu it worked for me & very quickly.) I ran into this insane madman troll on FB who was intent upon disproving this theory, trying to say that my friends & I were wrong and/or lying. The thing is....I mean, if someone tells me a method or tip or wtvr to try for shinies, I go do it & I get a shiny... and then 3 of my friends do the same thing... yeah.
LMAO when I say insane madman troll, I say that because dude had SPREADSHEETS & pages of handwritten info trying to disprove me. I am not kidding. But it was all just Weird because he was basing it off of wild encounters NOT in the safari. It was all weird.

So anyway, I got this shiny Shinx. I started thinking about all of the shiny x shiny breeding info that I've read online & been told directly and my face exploded. Because just SO much contradictory info from one person vs another vs. whatever site & then another site. Its insane. I have a few shinies now to choose from. Just need to see if the odds Really change.

Last edited:
Re: Several Breeding Related Things (Too Much for SQSA)

#1 - the shininess (and IVs, gender, nature) of an egg is already determined as soon as you get it so sorry no soft-resetting for those.

#2 - you can just have a word document open and then each time you get or hatch an egg you place an "*" or "1" or any one character. Once you're done just use a word count :)

#3 - what shiny breeding method do you mean? (and not sure what your question is here :p)

So I'm not sure whether you've answered your own questions or not, but:

1. No, this method does not work. When you receive an egg, hidden values are set that determines what will hatch from it. Because of that, every time you SR you will hatch the same pokemon and their odds of being shiny when hatching do not change. You will have to breed constantly until a shiny is obtained.

2. I'm not sure of any apps or programs you could use to keep track, but you could just use a standard calculator. Start with 1 and keep adding 1 every time an egg hatches. If you ever want to stop, just save the number somewhere, like on a notepad or by text messaging yourself, and come back to it later. That's usually what I do.

3. Items such as the Destiny Knot, Everstone, and Power Items are primarily used for transferring IVs. This is helpful when developing competitive battling teams, otherwise their isn't much use for them. In any case, this is what they do if you are intending to transfer IVs:
- Destiny Knot - Transfers 5 random IVs from either parent to the child.
- Everstone - Indefinitely transfers the holder's nature to the child.
- Power Items (Power Weight, Power Bracer, etc.) - Transfers the IV of the respective specific stat from the holder to the child.

On a side note: If you weren't already aware, the masuda method provides an easier way of obtaining shinies. It requires you to breed two pokemon of different national origin (languages) and decreases the chance of hatching a shiny drastically. It is especially low in X and Y as the normal chance of finding a shiny was decreased to 1/4096 from the original 1/8192.

Thanks for the replies! And I always wondered what the everstone's effect in breeding was. I've been using the Masuda Method forever & wanted to spice things up a bit in the bed uh...nursery?

Oh...so what did I mention that shiny breeding method FOR, anyhow? I had some questions about it, ut I dunno. This is what I get for running around the internet at 630am. (not up early - up late!)

OK and I thought that might be the case about the shininess so I only did 3 Pokemon soft reset 3 times total. No more a waste of time than oh... playing with imaginary monsters.

So anyway, I got this shiny Shinx. I started thinking about all of the shiny x shiny breeding info that I've read online & been told directly and my face exploded. Because just SO much contradictory info from one person vs another vs. whatever site & then another site. Its insane. I have a few shinies now to choose from. Just need to see if the odds Really change.

Seems this wasn't addressed yet; breeding shinies with each other only has an increased shiny rate in Generation II. In the modern Generations, it has no effect.

decreases the chance of hatching a shiny drastically. It is especially low in X and Y as the normal chance of finding a shiny was decreased to 1/4096 from the original 1/8192.
Halving the divisor increases the chance (from 0.012% to 0.024%), doubling it. The numbers are correct but your terminology isn't.

Last edited:

How funny, that just happened to me today!

Somebody traded me a Lixy (French Shinx) -- its status screen has the FRE tag. They also traded me an Oeuf (French Egg) which hatched into a Shinx that also has the FRE tag, despite the English name "Shinx" and me as its registered OT. I haven't tested whether it counts as foreign for the purposes of XP gain though, and it's impossible to know for sure whether it counts for Masuda breeding.

It does. Like all previous generations where region was a thing, it's checked by the region the egg was generated, not hatched.
Things can get weirder than that;
Take a Korean egg, hatch it on an English game and evolve it from another language, and you'll wind up with something like a Cillacino called Pashmilla (french name) with an english OT/ID and Korean language tag.

Sudden thought which crossed my mind (and can't put in the appropriate thread due to closure) but:

The Bank was designed to be used from now on, right? The Transporter is built to accomodate the Gen V games, but does this mean that in future generations the bank would operate rather like the time capsule, allowing you to send pokemon back to gen VI provided they existed then and have no moves or abilities that didn't exist?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom