• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

How do you IV breed? I forgot how to

Now for a totally unrelated note ... turns out this week Fred Meyer is offering 50% off selected videogames including Pokemon XY. Meaning I could pick up a physical copy of Pokemon X this week for just $20, or I could spring for the Club Nintendo offer and get a digital copy free. (The latter is not quite so simple as it sounds; I've never registered my 3DS but after 1-2 years I've lost the sheet that had the PIN on it. And no doubt Nintendo will have hundreds of support requests similar to this.)

You can register is with the serial number if you still have the serial number sticker attached. I have registered a couple of my system bough from E-bay this way. Nintendo will take either one.

Dom

Now for a totally unrelated note ... turns out this week Fred Meyer is offering 50% off selected videogames including Pokemon XY. Meaning I could pick up a physical copy of Pokemon X this week for just $20, or I could spring for the Club Nintendo offer and get a digital copy free. (The latter is not quite so simple as it sounds; I've never registered my 3DS but after 1-2 years I've lost the sheet that had the PIN on it. And no doubt Nintendo will have hundreds of support requests similar to this.)

You can register is with the serial number if you still have the serial number sticker attached. I have registered a couple of my system bough from E-bay this way. Nintendo will take either one.

Dom

You can register it, but you can't get the free digital copy. You need the PIN# for that. I tried. That was a very disappointing hour and a half...

You can register it, but you can't get the free digital copy. You need the PIN# for that. I tried. That was a very disappointing hour and a half...

Did you also register one of the qualifying games? There is like 6 or 8 titles that you need to at least register one of to get your free copy.

Dom

Not for the Pokemon deal, they specifically say that:

Nintendo said:
I don't see the "Select Your Free Game" option in my For You (To-Dos) list.

1 - Register the PIN for your Nintendo 3DS family system (note that serial number registrations do not qualify - you must register the PIN number included with your system).

This is probably because Nintendo does offer used-refurbished Nintendo 3DS systems and the Pokemon promotion is aimed at new purchasers:

Nintendo said:
Do refurbished Nintendo 3DS family systems qualify for this promotion?
No. These systems do not ship with Club Nintendo PINs, so they do not qualify for product registration surveys or Coins, and they do not qualify for this promotion.

Last edited:
Ran into wild Cyndaquil in Pokemon Crystal???

While they were playing Twitch Plays Pokemon Crystal they ran into a wild Cyndaquil in the burned tower. I looked up Cyndaquil locations on Bulbapedia and it doesn't say you can find it here???

Has it been hacked? how it this possible? their starter pokemon was totodile.

Re: Ran into wild Cyndaquil in Pokemon Crystal???

They did obtain the GS Ball by hacking, so that's the obvious answer in this case, too.

Did you also register one of the qualifying games? There is like 6 or 8 titles that you need to at least register one of to get your free copy.

Dom

Yes I did. In the post above this, Stratelier covered everything I was about to say .

Last edited:
Re: Ran into wild Cyndaquil in Pokemon Crystal???

They were previously playing a hacked version of Pokemon Red (was that Cubone in the Rock Tunnel or somesuch?), so it kinda makes sense that this could also be a hack. Not that it's a really obvious hack, mind you, but still.

I bet it's a definite WTF moment for the mob, though, because the planners were insisting that Cyndaquil was the best starter (for learning mostly attack moves) to have for TPP. It'll be amazing if they do a Cyndaquil/Totodile tag-team, but since they already have a team of six the big question is, who will they have to sacrifice to the PC to free up the space?

So i just now noticed that Pikachu can't learn Iron Tail anymore. If i were to teach it the move in a Gen IV game, transfer it up to my X game, and then breed it with another Pikachu, would the move get passed down to the offspring Pichu?

So i just now noticed that Pikachu can't learn Iron Tail anymore. If i were to teach it the move in a Gen IV game, transfer it up to my X game, and then breed it with another Pikachu, would the move get passed down to the offspring Pichu?

Nope. Pichu couldn't even gain Iron Tail through breeding even when it could learn the move. The only way you're going to get a Pichu with Iron Tail in Gen VI is to teach it through the move tutor in B/W/B2/W2 and then transfer it or teach through TM prior to any Gen V games.

Is there a way to get 6-pokémons rated battles with Battle Spot? or only 3?

I think the battery on my HGSS has died ... there've been multiple occasions where I've given Apricorns to Kurt, come back 2-3 days later and he's still not finished with them. Does this sound right?

I think the battery on my HGSS has died ... there've been multiple occasions where I've given Apricorns to Kurt, come back 2-3 days later and he's still not finished with them. Does this sound right?
It would be the battery of your DS system what died, since no Pokémon game in the DS manages time in itself. Instead it uses the DS's time settings.

If you've changed the time on the DS or changed to a different system than the one used previously, it takes usually one day for time events to re-synchronize with the new time settings. If otherwise you're using the same DS system and have not changed its time settings, then indeed. The DS's battery has stopped working.

It would be the battery of your DS system what died, since no Pokémon game in the DS manages time in itself. Instead it uses the DS's time settings.

If you've changed the time on the DS or changed to a different system than the one used previously, it takes usually one day for time events to re-synchronize with the new time settings. If otherwise you're using the same DS system and have not changed its time settings, then indeed. The DS's battery has stopped working.

I didn't even know that was possible. I assumed if the battery died the console wouldn't work.

The last Pokemon games to use batteries were the Gameboy Advance series (gen III) and those only effected time based events. Earlier versions for the Gameboy and Gameboy Color (Gen I and II) used batteries for the game saves as well as time based events. All DS versions (Gen IV +) do not have batteries in the carts. Like it is said above, the system needs a day or so to recalculate for adjusted time. I dont know for sure how the DS powers it's clock. I have left them for weeks without touching them and the battery was still charged, but my PSP which does power the clock by the system battery is dead in the same ammount of time.

Dom

But how is the game supposed to know when you change your DS's system time? Only two possibilities: 1 - the system keeps some kind of internal log about when its clock was last changed, or 2 - the DS cart includes its own battery-backed clock chip to compare against the DS's system time (as in, out of sync = changed system time).

I can verify that my DS's battery is still good, as I haven't had to reset the clock, system settings, etc. And while I have occasionally alternated the cart between my DS and 3DS, the last two plays were both on the same DS.

I dont know for sure how the DS powers its clock. I have left them for weeks without touching them and the battery was still charged, but my PSP which does power the clock by the system battery is dead in the same ammount of time.
I've left my DS off and unplugged for at least 3 months (basically, since XY came out) and it hasn't lost a minute of system time.

From what I can tell the game save has a time stamp of the system time when last saved. The next log in must be a time index that comes after the stamp on the game save or the time events on the game save will reset. I dont know if the game save also indexes a system ID to allow for a minor discrepency between 2 different systems and a way to determine if some one is time hacking or if the cart is used in a different device but it would make sense to do so and would not take up that much space.

Dom

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom