• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

From what I can tell the game save has a time stamp of the system time when last saved. The next log in must be a time index that comes after the stamp on the game save or the time events on the game save will reset. I dont know if the game save also indexes a system ID to allow for a minor discrepency between 2 different systems and a way to determine if some one is time hacking or if the cart is used in a different device but it would make sense to do so and would not take up that much space.
But then that only can only detect adjusting the clock backward; whereas if you mess with your DS system time at all, the game detects it.

It has perfect HP, Sp At, and Sp Def, or so its markings would seem to indicate (didn't take it out of the box to have it checked).

That's something I saw in a recent post in the "Is My Pokemon Hacked" thread. Is using the markings for that something that people do? I've received several Pokemon online with seemingly random markings...

Edit: Whoops, this is the wrong thread... I meant to use the Gen 6 one. I guess it still applies, though.

From what I can tell the game save has a time stamp of the system time when last saved. The next log in must be a time index that comes after the stamp on the game save or the time events on the game save will reset. I dont know if the game save also indexes a system ID to allow for a minor discrepency between 2 different systems and a way to determine if some one is time hacking or if the cart is used in a different device but it would make sense to do so and would not take up that much space.
But then that only can only detect adjusting the clock backward; whereas if you mess with your DS system time at all, the game detects it.

Never noticed this on my own but I also dont mess with my system clock all that much. The time moving forward issue that the game could detect would need a couple of bits to create an ID for the system clock and any time you manually change the system clock it causes a new ID to be created. This would only really work if you only used one system all the time and if Nintendo has made the clock ID a part of the DS family. To get around this you would simply need to have 2 systems and by changing systems as well as the clock you would not have an interuption of the events so long as you never go backwards in time.

If you have BW or B2W2 you can use a flashlight or LED light to see through the case of the game and you can see there is no battery on the board. The game case is actually a really dark red that you can kinda see through. All that is in there is a large chip and another small one. There are no other major devices on the boards.

Dom

Today's case in point: After picking up Kurt's last batch of Apricorn Balls (which were produced on time), I gave him a batch of more Apricorns, saved and shut off the game. I then adjusted my system date forward to tomorrow, booted up the game, and . . . Kurt is still working on them. So the game obviously has more information than just what the current/last save time was -- indeed, if there's no actual battery on the cart then possibly some kind of hash or key in the system memory that changes only when the system's date/time is changed. It wouldn't explain why it took Kurt more than 24 hours to make Apricorn Balls for me (but that possibly has another explanation already).

But anyway. Nintendo finally acknowledged my issue and sent a reply, even if it was just a stock reply with an 800 number and a referral ID. On my side, if they really do have all the information to research the issue they can verify my 3DS's SN was a non-refurbished unit not previously registered to Club Nintendo. Otherwise, I've already prepared for plan B.

Last edited:
Hacking a Gen III save file?

Hi there! I've been replaying Yellow and Crystal, still haven't gotten all the Pokémon on either (though GameShark is helping in some aspects, but I often use Red as a "slave cart" to prevent an accidental wiping of Yellow), but since I'm done with questing all that's left basically amounts to grinding. I'm thinking about starting Gen III, but I never got in to it (or beat it). I never liked the fact that it scrapped Kanto or Johto (along with any mention of it), numerous bugs, Time Capsule, no day/night, etc.

However, the thing that was annoying was the e-Reader functionality that it created a large "gated garden" against anyone who didn't have one. What I wanted to ask if I could possibly hack a save file (on a REAL, GENUINE 2003 CARTRIDGE) to not only fix the Berry Bug but also add in the eReader functions as if I had scanned or communicated with someone who did. Anyone got any ideas? Possible?

I've come to accept that Gen III has no time capsule feature, but I'm wondering about the next best thing: is it possible with a GameShark to create a clone from Generation I/II stats? I mean, one of the reasons why it was dropped is a total reworking of most of the stats (IVs, EVs, and more that I really never got into). So for instance, my Pikachu from Yellow is Lv76, 167 HP, ID 15617 (OT / "Red"), Special 106, Speed 173, Defense 104, Attack 115, with the following moves: Thunder, Light Screen, Slam, and Surf.

I was wondering if it were possible to not only hack a Pikachu into appearing (properly) in Gen III but to take that Pikachu and rebuild it into my old Pikachu with all the other new stats falling into place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoping this is the right place to ask this. So ive recently decided i want to breed/train a competitive team on Y. The problem is, I dont have wifi(we should be getting it in a month or 2) so I cant get the mons I want.

So, to get the hang of breeding and ev training, I want to get some in game mons that are semi easy to breed and train.I probably wont be using them in a battle ever, but I want to act like I am going to so i can get the hang of it. Any suggestions?

I'd probably start with baby Pokemon (Riolu, Azurill, Smoochum, Mime Jr.) because XY guarantees that wild baby Pokemon will have three flawless IVs. Now you won't be able to conclusively identify which IVs until the postgame (the stats judge lives in Kiloude City), but if you catch several of the same level and start comparing stats between them, the ones with the exact same values are likely to be the flawless IVs (Nature boosts notwithstanding). You also don't have access to the Power items until the postgame, but you can get the Destiny Knot (all but required for high-level breeding anyway) by beating an alleyway trainer in Lumiose City.

As for EV training, the Super Training screen makes this process fairly easy and straightforward: Just pick a regimen (or punching bag) to grind the desired stat. It's not quite as fast as sweeping hordes of wild Pokemon five at a time, but it doesn't require a trip to the Internet to research what species has which EV yield and where to find them. Oh, and you will also want to mix your Berry farming up until you get the EV berries, once you have a good supply of those you can use them to shave off unwanted EVs (more precisely than the Reset Bag in Super Training, which completely resets EVs in one fell swoop).

[edit] Okay, called Nintendo about the support email I filed and talked with a representative about it. I'm now eligible for the free Pokemon deal, but -- X or Y?

Last edited:

In X and Y what time is it considered night? I'm breeding competitive Lucarios and I want to know when to stop trying to evolve the Riolus.

@Stratelier: Both versions are pretty well balanced but I personally like X better since it has Charizardite X, Tyranitarite, wild staryus and Clauncher(for mega blastoise egg moves)

@Stratelier: Both versions are pretty well balanced but I personally like X better since it has Charizardite X, Tyranitarite, wild staryus and Clauncher(for mega blastoise egg moves)
Actually I'd already made up my mind, I was largely just second-guessing myself. ;) Now the question on my mind is what do I want the circle of friends to call my X Trainer? I'm thinking "Dude" or "Bro" or "Boss" or something.

(As for the versions themselves, I personally like Charizard Y better.)

On a sidenote, what does XY have against "rata" in Trainer names? Makes me glad I went with "Stratelier" instead of the "Stratadrake" I usually go by.

Last edited:

So i just saw a wifi battle where a Pikachu had both Extremespeed and Volt Tackle, is it possible to breed both to a Pikachu? I know there was a Japan Event where they gave Pikachu with Extremespeed but can you use it to breed Extremespeed to another Pikachu?

So i just saw a wifi battle where a Pikachu had both Extremespeed and Volt Tackle, is it possible to breed both to a Pikachu? I know there was a Japan Event where they gave Pikachu with Extremespeed but can you use it to breed Extremespeed to another Pikachu?

Shofu's, I bet. To be honest, I think he probably gen'd his Pikachu to have both Extreme Speed and Volt Tackle because Pikachu can't learn E-Speed through breeding.

Shofu's, I bet. To be honest, I think he probably gen'd his Pikachu to have both Extreme Speed and Volt Tackle because Pikachu can't learn E-Speed through breeding.
Figured as much, thanks.

Quick question: has anyone confirmed the shiny rates for X/Y? Especially for the various possible circumstances (e.g., normal encounters, in Friend Safaris, via Masuda Method)?

Quick question: has anyone confirmed the shiny rates for X/Y? Especially for the various possible circumstances (e.g., normal encounters, in Friend Safaris, via Masuda Method)?

Bulbapedia says the regular shiny encounter rate in X/Y is 1/4096.

I dont believe Masuda Method and Friend Safari rates have been confirmed.

Bulbapedia says the regular shiny encounter rate in X/Y is 1/4096.

I dont believe Masuda Method and Friend Safari rates have been confirmed.
Fair enough, I suppose; I guess I'll just continue my shiny hunting on blind faith alone. Thanks for the quick response ^_^.

Actually I'd already made up my mind, I was largely just second-guessing myself. ;) Now the question on my mind is what do I want the circle of friends to call my X Trainer? I'm thinking "Dude" or "Bro" or "Boss" or something.

(As for the versions themselves, I personally like Charizard Y better.)

On a sidenote, what does XY have against "rata" in Trainer names? Makes me glad I went with "Stratelier" instead of the "Stratadrake" I usually go by.

According to this article on Bulbapedia, "rata" happens to be a term for female genitalia in Portuguese. Looks like you happen to suffer from the same problem Cofagrigus has.

Here's to hoping next generation they make it only check against your game language. I mean is it that hard to just remove offensive names in the language they are offensive to? "Trainer DEFAULT issues a challenge."

I'm just wondering, in Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs, if you delete the save data, will all the Event Missions still be on there? And if so, can you re-send the gift if you delete the save data and complete the game again and play the mission again? 'Cause I want to get another Heatran...

Here's to hoping next generation they make it only check against your game language. I mean is it that hard to just remove offensive names in the language they are offensive to? "Trainer DEFAULT issues a challenge."

Well, that was probably because there are 7 languages in one game, so I assume they had to block ALL offensive words for each of the languages. That, and I guess, with all the Wi-Fi and stuff there is now, they don't want anyone to run into someone else from another country, say Germany, with a Pokemon who's name is offensive to that person because it got through the English name check. Not something I totally agree with, in any case.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom