• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-7)

Re: Simple Questions Simple Answers (XY Edition)

I'm currently trying to get a Hitmontop. What would be the best way to get one? I currently have a Tyrogue that I want to evolve into one.

I'm currently trying to get a Hitmontop. What would be the best way to get one? I currently have a Tyrogue that I want to evolve into one.

Vitamins (specifically, Protein and Iron) are usually pretty effective! To get Hitmontop its attack has to be equal to its defense.

You could also try super training/ev training it, but vitamins are easier (but they may be a bit expensive).

Does the battle maison save your progress even when your not in it? I first tried the mason when i first beat the game, then left. Ive shiny hunted, bred, all that good stuff and went back to it today with an actual ev-trained team. I did the first battle, and it gave me 2bp. I thought it was odd, but continued on, and the lady asked if i was ready for battle 12. ???

Does the battle maison save your progress even when your not in it? I first tried the mason when i first beat the game, then left. Ive shiny hunted, bred, all that good stuff and went back to it today with an actual ev-trained team. I did the first battle, and it gave me 2bp. I thought it was odd, but continued on, and the lady asked if i was ready for battle 12. ???
Yes it does, the streak is only broken if you lose or you turn off the game, everytime you defeat a trainer it asks if you want continue or pause the streak, if you choose to pause the streak it will save in whatever battle you are and you can continue the streak some other time.

Re: Best method of experience grinding in XY?

I've typically been fighting at the Battle Chateau and making sure I use my pokemon in the Poke-mon-amie for boosted experience. A lucky egg also goes a long way.

If I want to get a Shedinja, does it still require a normal poké ball, or is there some way of having it use any other poké ball now? I like to have all my team in themed poké balls, which is why I'm asking.

If I want to get a Shedinja, does it still require a normal poké ball, or is there some way of having it use any other poké ball now? I like to have all my team in themed poké balls, which is why I'm asking.
Only in gen three does shedinja not use a regular pokeball, in those games it has the same ball as the nincada it evolved from.

Only in gen three does shedinja not use a regular pokeball, in those games it has the same ball as the nincada it evolved from.

So... in Gen VI it requires a regular pokéball? I wish it could use some of the other pokéballs in my bag. :|

I'm trying to train up my team in LeafGreen to take on the E4 and I'm wondering: are there any more effective methods of leveling besides just grinding against wild Onix and the like in Victory Road? That only works for one or two of my Pokemon--the ones who can super effect it--and it won't work very well once they reach level 50 and higher. Would Vs. Seeker be better? And does anyone know what area pre-E4 has the highest level trainers? Unless you can use Vs. Seeker inside caves, then it would obviously be Victory Road.

Thanks!

So... in Gen VI it requires a regular pokéball? I wish it could use some of the other pokéballs in my bag. :|

I know what you mean. I tried evolving Nincada late enough in the game that I didn't have any regular Pokéballs in my inventory. After it evolved and I found out, I had to restart the game, run to the Pokémart, buy 1 Pokéball, and level it up again. Not the most fun thing I've done on the game.

I know what you mean. I tried evolving Nincada late enough in the game that I didn't have any regular Pokéballs in my inventory. After it evolved and I found out, I had to restart the game, run to the Pokémart, buy 1 Pokéball, and level it up again. Not the most fun thing I've done on the game.

Not just that, but you should be able to pick which ball you'd like to use just as you can with other pokémon. :/ I like to have my team all in the same type of ball.

Well then, this is a case of RNG favoring you. Such as when you get that cool first person view at the pokemon center, there is really nothing you can do to make it occur more. It is a shame though, because some of those little details are peetty awesome.

Pretty sure that's affected based on you pressing the D pad (or slider) in a specific direction when you talk. I've managed to do it on multiple occasion, and on different angles as well. There's a view where it goes off to the side as well.

You know if this is true, then my mind is officially blown. It would happen for me on and off so I never payed it any mind.

Is it when you first talk, or when you say yes or no? Has this been confirmed?

Is it when you first talk, or when you say yes or no? Has this been confirmed?
I'm pretty sure the perspective kicks in right as you start talking to the receptionist.
(... but can't verify this atm)

Game/Pokedex question??

For whatever reason i only ever played pokemon red up until this point. So recently i begun acquiring all of the games from gameboy up until now. When i say every game, i mean every version for every generation plus remakes. I finally have them all so my question to the community is this, i want to play though all of the games of course to catch up with what i have missed, but do we think it is worth completing the pokedex for every generation along the way? Or should i play through the entire story of each generation first and then go back later to complete the dexes later? I know it would be quite a feat to complete all the dexes and it would take alot of time especially since i have no friends (with pokemon games that is) and would essentially need to play through both versions for each generation... :dumb:

Time is obviously of the essence, as i am only on leaf green right now and the ruby and sapphire remakes will be coming out shortly. It is even worth catching them all in ever game, or would that be something better left for when i have spare time after i beat all of the games??? The only thing that i fear in that scenario is that if i beat the games first, i may never come back to them to complete the pokedex because there are so many video games in the world to play and i will get caught up in something else.

What does every one think?

Re: Game/Pokedex question??

For whatever reason i only ever played pokemon red up until this point. So recently i begun acquiring all of the games from gameboy up until now. When i say every game, i mean every version for every generation plus remakes. I finally have them all so my question to the community is this, i want to play though all of the games of course to catch up with what i have missed, but do we think it is worth completing the pokedex for every generation along the way? Or should i play through the entire story of each generation first and then go back later to complete the dexes later? I know it would be quite a feat to complete all the dexes and it would take alot of time especially since i have no friends (with pokemon games that is) and would essentially need to play through both versions for each generation... :dumb:

Time is obviously of the essence, as i am only on leaf green right now and the ruby and sapphire remakes will be coming out shortly. It is even worth catching them all in ever game, or would that be something better left for when i have spare time after i beat all of the games??? The only thing that i fear in that scenario is that if i beat the games first, i may never come back to them to complete the pokedex because there are so many video games in the world to play and i will get caught up in something else.

I think it depends what you want out of the game. Some people play for the gameplay, some for Pokedex completion, some for competitive battling, so it depends entirely on what you want to do and what you enjoy doing in game.

To be honest though, you probably will need to beat each game to complete their Pokedexes anyway

Re: Game/Pokedex question??

I think it depends what you want out of the game. Some people play for the gameplay, some for Pokedex completion, some for competitive battling, so it depends entirely on what you want to do and what you enjoy doing in game.

To be honest though, you probably will need to beat each game to complete their Pokedexes anyway

As far as "catching up with what you missed", completing each game's national Pokédex isn't necessary for that. I'd say that getting to know the new Pokémon (whether you catch them or not), completing the main story, and checking out the post-story events would be sufficient to get yourself back in the loop on most discussions.

I found that there is little to no continuity between one game and the other except for the Black/White and Black2/White2 which has characters and some story references from the first games. There is mention in Gold/Silver/Crystal about a trainer that defeated Team Rocket 3 years ago, (the time between R/B/Y and G/S/C) but nothing more than a quick mention. So if you want to play the games for the story then go fo it, as for filling the pokedex's you can get all available Pokemon from the DS generation games on up to X/Y, except Jirachi wich requires Ruby/Sapphire, a GameCube with the Coleseum special edition disk, then trade Jirachi up to the X/Y games through the various Migration systems.

Dom

I found that there is little to no continuity between one game and the other except for the Black/White and Black2/White2 which has characters and some story references from the first games. There is mention in Gold/Silver/Crystal about a trainer that defeated Team Rocket 3 years ago, (the time between R/B/Y and G/S/C) but nothing more than a quick mention. So if you want to play the games for the story then go fo it, as for filling the pokedex's you can get all available Pokemon from the DS generation games on up to X/Y, except Jirachi wich requires Ruby/Sapphire, a GameCube with the Coleseum special edition disk, then trade Jirachi up to the X/Y games through the various Migration systems.

Dom

Spoiler for Gold/Silver and HeartGold/SoulSilver.
Actually, there are multiple mention's, he's named, and then you get to battle him at the end. Plus, your rival from Red and Blue becomes the Gym Leader for Viridian City. So yeah, there's not perfect continuity, but there's a good bit.

Does the Masuda Method not work anymore?

So apparetly, the mechanics of hatching Shiny Pokemon changed this generation. Every Egg simply has a four-digit Shiny Hatch Value or something, and if that matches your Trainer's Secret Shiny Number or whatevs, it'll hatch shiny 100% guaranteed, and if it doesn't, it's 0% chance.

There's a subReddit for people to post their Trainer Shiny Numbers and Egg Shiny Numbers (which they figure out via PKX file dumping programs) so they can trade their Eggs to Trainers they know will hatch as Shiny with 100% probability.

Does that mean the Masuda Method doesn't do anything anymore? I suspect so.

Re: Does the Masuda Method not work anymore?

So apparetly, the mechanics of hatching Shiny Pokemon changed this generation. Every Egg simply has a four-digit Shiny Hatch Value or something, and if that matches your Trainer's Secret Shiny Number or whatevs, it'll hatch shiny 100% guaranteed, and if it doesn't, it's 0% chance.

There's a subReddit for people to post their Trainer Shiny Numbers and Egg Shiny Numbers (which they figure out via PKX file dumping programs) so they can trade their Eggs to Trainers they know will hatch as Shiny with 100% probability.

Does that mean the Masuda Method doesn't do anything anymore? I suspect so.

I believe Masuda Method still works. The Shiny Value is a separate thing. I could be wrong, but Im pretty sure it still works.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom